All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Great for you but not so great for me ,,, my received text messages no longer have sound and neither do my received tweets.

Are you using a standard tone or custom tone?

Shouldn’t make a difference as some of the devices I use have custom tones and others standard ones, though. If custom, where did you get the tone from?

Consider reinstalling the firmware using iTunes.

Last edited:
Are you using a standard tone or custom tone?

Shouldn’t make a difference as some of the devices I use have custom tones and others standard ones, though. If custom, where did you get the tone from?

Consider reinstalling the firmware using iTunes.

Mix of custom and standard and it affects both ... they all play of selection in Sounds but not in action.
Didn't know you could reinstall the firmware it normally just says 'Up to date' ... how do you reinstall?

Well problem solved ... the update to 11.2.5 had changed the iPhone's setting to 'Do not disturb'! :thinking:
Annoying, but at least easily resolved when I discovered what the cause was.

Well problem solved ... the update to 11.2.5 had changed the iPhone's setting to 'Do not disturb'! :thinking:
Annoying, but at least easily resolved when I discovered what the cause was.

I suspect that you did that accidentally. I'm also surprised that with all that playing with the phone you failed to notice the crescent moon icon at the top.

I suspect that you did that accidentally. I'm also surprised that with all that playing with the phone you failed to notice the crescent moon icon at the top.
I definitely didn't touch the setting and never have had a need to even enter the setting.
The crescent is extremely small and not something that immediately drew my attention, didn't even know what it was until I eventually spotted it and Googled.

Mix of custom and standard and it affects both ... they all play of selection in Sounds but not in action.
Didn't know you could reinstall the firmware it normally just says 'Up to date' ... how do you reinstall?

If you ever need to do it in the future, you connect the phone, do a backup (encrypted if you want it to save passwords etc) and then click the restore button.

macos-itunes12-7-device-summary-restore.jpg

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201252

Have to say, the 2017 iPad is unnaturally poor for an Apple product, I bought one to replace my Air 2 which I gave to my wife (only 16GB and was beginning to creep towards full capacity).

What a horrible machine in use, reminded me of the original Air with the hollow sounding screen, and was an absolute nightmare for screen reflections and tinny sound, it seemed more like a cheap Android tablet, build quality wise, than an iPad.

Replaced with a refurb 9.7” Pro and all is right in my little Apple universe again :p.

Well update 11.2.6 is available but I decided to check on any problems this time before upgrading and it looks like there are all sorts of problems being reported, heavy battery drain, battery level indicator removed, wi-fi & Airplay issues etc etc ... think I'm going to give this one a miss.

I have 11.2.6 on iPad Air 2 and iPhone 7+ currently with no problems. The update did fail on the iPad and I had to connect to the Mac to complete it but that has happened occasionally on previous updates and I haven’t found it to be a problem.

Well update 11.2.6 is available but I decided to check on any problems this time before upgrading and it looks like there are all sorts of problems being reported, heavy battery drain, battery level indicator removed, wi-fi & Airplay issues etc etc ... think I'm going to give this one a miss.

11.2.6 has actually been out for just over a week, I haven't seen many complaints at MacRumours about it (as it was a small security update it would be unlikely to cause many).

I've been running it on 2 iPhones for the last week without any problems.

11.2.6 has actually been out for just over a week, I haven't seen many complaints at MacRumours about it (as it was a small security update it would be unlikely to cause many).

I've been running it on 2 iPhones for the last week without any problems.

Maybe, I checked on Google and, for example, Forbes reported these problems and several other sites too ... I'll leave well alone for now, glad it's okay for you. :)

The pro
Maybe, I checked on Google and, for example, Forbes reported these problems and several other sites too ... I'll leave well alone for now, glad it's okay for you. :)
the problem is that “all sorts of problems being reported” happens with everything — you only hear from the few that have problems and not the many who don’t. There needs to be a specific problem reported to take notice rather than, say, “wi-fi issues etc etc”.

The pro

the problem is that “all sorts of problems being reported” happens with everything — you only hear from the few that have problems and not the many who don’t. There needs to be a specific problem reported to take notice rather than, say, “wi-fi issues etc etc”.

Wake-up ... I stated the issues being reported, I didn't see the need to document every comment!

Wake-up ... I stated the issues being reported, I didn't see the need to document every comment!
I tried to assist you by saying I had no problems! However, I stand by what I wrote - most of what you quote are vague problems except “battery level indicator removed” which is specific but just untrue :(

Last edited:

Totally your choice, though having just checked MacRumors again, there are virtually no reports of 11.2.6 issues.

Your way of googling and believing everything on the net is a bit like googling the common cold and deciding you have Ebola...

Totally your choice, though having just checked MacRumors again, there are virtually no reports of 11.2.6 issues.

Your way of googling and believing everything on the net is a bit like googling the common cold and deciding you have Ebola...

Get a life ... honestly!

Maybe change your username to something more appropriate- grumps perhaps? :):):)

Maybe change your username to something more appropriate- grumps perhaps? :):):)

Or maybe just change the thread to "All things Bitchy", seems more appropriate given the majority of the content ;)

Thats been rumoured for a long time, but sad to see it happen - if just for the selfish reason that i have 3 airport devices and fear that i may need to replace the lot if any one dies...
I have an airport extreme router / time capsule, an airport express that i use as an audio output, and another airport express that i use as a network extender.
Are there any routers that i can connect the airport express's too to continue using their current functionality? I haven't really looked at the wider router market since i bought the airport express around 10 years ago so no real ti s possible.

Well here's hoping 11.3.1 solves my stability problems with my iPad Air 2, 11.3 screwed it totally with reboots and freezes...

Anybody else had 11.3 issues?

I had an issue with screen rotation. iPad would get stuck on landscape so I've locked it to portrait to stop it.

I have just bought an iPhone SE, to replace a Samsung S3 Mini that I've had for the last 4 years or so. Even though my wife has had an iPad for a while, I'm finding it all a bit confusing!

For a while I was getting messages saying I could set Do Not Disturb when driving. It seemed I could either set it now or do it later; no choice for not at all! Since one of the conditions for it not answering was when the phone was connected to bluetooth (and there is a bluetooth handsfree system in the car), I've postponed it for now. How does this actually work?

Today I took my first couple of photos with the iPhone. Actually I took quite a few, as there's no shutter sound to suggest I've actually taken one (sometimes buttons are very insensitive, so some kind of response would be helpful). How can I make it have a shutter sound?

I was also a bit surprised when I reviewed the images (and deleted the extra ones) to find that there were photos on the phone that had (IIRC) been taken on the Samsung. Certainly not taken on the iPhone! I did move the SIM across from the Samsung, so as to bring the contacts, but surely that would not have brought photos with it? Also, most of the photos were a couple of years old, and certainly not the most recent ones taken with the Samsung. I suspect another few of them were sent to me via WhatsApp.

Any clues?

Try turning off Live Photos, the shutter sound doesn't work when it is on. I guess that's because otherwise you'd get a shutter sound in the live photo!

Try turning off Live Photos, the shutter sound doesn't work when it is on. I guess that's because otherwise you'd get a shutter sound in the live photo!

Also if the phone is on silent iirc (via the little switch above the volume buttons).

I have just bought an iPhone SE, to replace a Samsung S3 Mini that I've had for the last 4 years or so. Even though my wife has had an iPad for a while, I'm finding it all a bit confusing!

For a while I was getting messages saying I could set Do Not Disturb when driving. It seemed I could either set it now or do it later; no choice for not at all! Since one of the conditions for it not answering was when the phone was connected to bluetooth (and there is a bluetooth handsfree system in the car), I've postponed it for now. How does this actually work?

I'm pretty sure the option to do it later just means if/when you decide you want to set it. You won't get the nag prompt again.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208090

Today I took my first couple of photos with the iPhone. Actually I took quite a few, as there's no shutter sound to suggest I've actually taken one (sometimes buttons are very insensitive, so some kind of response would be helpful). How can I make it have a shutter sound?

I was also a bit surprised when I reviewed the images (and deleted the extra ones) to find that there were photos on the phone that had (IIRC) been taken on the Samsung. Certainly not taken on the iPhone! I did move the SIM across from the Samsung, so as to bring the contacts, but surely that would not have brought photos with it? Also, most of the photos were a couple of years old, and certainly not the most recent ones taken with the Samsung. I suspect another few of them were sent to me via WhatsApp.

Any clues?
As said, probably turn off Live Photo’s (top centre of camera screen). Regarding old Samsung photos, maybe they could be in Apple iCloud if you were previously using an Apple ID or are you looking at Google Photos rather than Apple Photos?

As said, probably turn off Live Photo’s (top centre of camera screen). Regarding old Samsung photos, maybe they could be in Apple iCloud if you were previously using an Apple ID or are you looking at Google Photos rather than Apple Photos?

Excellent, turning off Live Photos worked, though I have no idea what Live Photos is! Thanks Richard for the advice on how to do it, I've never have guessed!

Also if the phone is on silent iirc (via the little switch above the volume buttons).

I found out about the silence switch from someone else, when trying to work out why there was no ring tone. A little switch shows a microscopic amount of red and that's supposed to tell me it's on silent? Whatever happened to visual cues, icons that mean things, intuitive navigation? Almost seems every release they've been getting further and further away from a phone that everyone can use just by playing around, and more and more towards a phone for the in crowd! [/rant, sorry]

I'm pretty sure the option to do it later just means if/when you decide you want to set it. You won't get the nag prompt again.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208090

Thanks for that, Dave. The description there makes more sense, specially when I remember how many notifications my kids get on their phones that are nothing to do with incoming calls. In particular: "If your iPhone connects to your car via Bluetooth, calls will come through as usual, and you can use your car's buttons, microphones, and speakers to take your call."

One more question... on my Samsung, I always terminated any app once I'd done using it; there were two ways to do it (hit the back button enough times, or go into an app/widget control centre). This was to save battery life, and it seems to have worked; even after 4 years I was still just about getting 24 hours from the battery. I can't see how to do this on the iPhone, other than turning it off at night.

I'm guessing the answer to do this is something like, you do what? No-one worries about that these days, you'll be fine!

Background apps don't really use much power on an iPhone. To shut one off double click home to show what apps are running and swipe up on the one you want to close.

The silence button shows red on the switch itself. I usually use do not disturb and set hours. You can also set overrides and exceptions as well.

Excellent, turning off Live Photos worked, though I have no idea what Live Photos is! Thanks Richard for the advice on how to do it, I've never have guessed!
Live Photo’s takes a short sequence and animates them, something like an animated gif. You can set (in settings) the camera to remember your previous settings. Otherwise.Live Photos is defaulted to whenever Camera is launched. It’s worth looking at third party apps like Camera+.
The most annoying thing I find with the camera is that you cannot fire the shutter by “hold and slide finger off” which Apple abandoned (but is still available in third party apps) as I find that gives the smoothest release.

Background apps don't really use much power on an iPhone. To shut one off double click home to show what apps are running and swipe up on the one you want to close.

I found an app called Home and double-clicked that, but it's clearly something else... so how do I double-click home? Sorry for being dumb here!

Back