All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Live Photo’s takes a short sequence and animates them, something like an animated gif. You can set (in settings) the camera to remember your previous settings. Otherwise.Live Photos is defaulted to whenever Camera is launched. It’s worth looking at third party apps like Camera+.
The most annoying thing I find with the camera is that you cannot fire the shutter by “hold and slide finger off” which Apple abandoned (but is still available in third party apps) as I find that gives the smoothest release.

Live Photo seems to have stayed off even though I have switched the phone off and on again since setting it (old habits die hard!). I guess prodding the phone to fire the shutter does increase the risk of movement.

Thanks for your help so far, folks!

I found an app called Home and double-clicked that, but it's clearly something else... so how do I double-click home? Sorry for being dumb here!

7589_A360-912_F-46_C3-_BA78-_EF994_F7_C63_D6.jpg

Live Photo seems to have stayed off even though I have switched the phone off and on again since setting it (old habits die hard!). I guess prodding the phone to fire the shutter does increase the risk of movement.

Thanks for your help so far, folks!

You can use the volume buttons as a shutter button.

I found an app called Home and double-clicked that, but it's clearly something else... so how do I double-click home? Sorry for being dumb here!
The Home app is for switching lights on, etc, in your house - probably should be called “House” but Americans have homes not houses ;)

Just got back from a cruise to the Norwegian fjords and it is a wonder my iPhone6 did not end up in the North Sea. We arrived in Birgin so thought I would call the family to let them know where we were. My iPhone said "no signal" and then "no service", my wife said lets try my phone which is an old Nokia 6310i, this connected straight away. I had set my iPhone up with data coming etc. but no way would it connect, we are both on EE by the way my wife's phone being a pay as you go and mine is on contract.

Two things you could have tried

Put it into Airplane Mode for a short time then see if it connects

Reboot it (hold Home button and Power button down until a white apple appears, then release and sign in when prompted.

Just got back from a cruise to the Norwegian fjords and it is a wonder my iPhone6 did not end up in the North Sea. We arrived in Birgin so thought I would call the family to let them know where we were. My iPhone said "no signal" and then "no service", my wife said lets try my phone which is an old Nokia 6310i, this connected straight away. I had set my iPhone up with data coming etc. but no way would it connect, we are both on EE by the way my wife's phone being a pay as you go and mine is on contract.

Did you try a manual network search?

Odds are the only signal available was probably 2G (the only signal the 6310i can connect to), so while the iPhone was still trying to find 4G and then 3G the old Nokia had already gone straight to 2G. Given a few minutes the iPhone would probably have eventually dropped to 2G and connected.

Two things you could have tried

Put it into Airplane Mode for a short time then see if it connects

Reboot it (hold Home button and Power button down until a white apple appears, then release and sign in when prompted.

I will have to try that the next time we go on our travels.

Did you try a manual network search?
No did not try manual network search.

Odds are the only signal available was probably 2G (the only signal the 6310i can connect to), so while the iPhone was still trying to find 4G and then 3G the old Nokia had already gone straight to 2G. Given a few minutes the iPhone would probably have eventually dropped to 2G and connected.

I left the iPhone switched on for a couple of hours but still no connection.

This is not the first time this has happened. Last November we did a Canary isles cruise and could not get a signal] there either, but the wife's Nokia worked fine.

iOS 11.4 is out now for anyone interested, namely AirPlay 2 and Messages in the Cloud, probably a good update for HomePod owners.....

iOS 11.4 is out now for anyone interested, namely AirPlay 2 and Messages in the Cloud, probably a good update for HomePod owners.....
Hasn’t got to Yorkshire yet - I see you’re in Cornwall so it’s only just made it out of the transatlantic cable ;)

Edit: I see it’s not supposed to be released for another 1h10mins :(

Last edited:
Hasn’t got to Yorkshire yet - I see you’re in Cornwall so it’s only just made it out of the transatlantic cable ;)

Edit: I see it’s not supposed to be released for another 1h10mins :(

It'll be a while! There's congestion on the Tamar :p

I'm in no rush anyway, the 11.3 updates killed my iPad Air 2 and it's only just stable again after the last update. Rushing into an iOS update is not something I'll be doing anymore...

It'll be a while! There's congestion on the Tamar :p

I'm in no rush anyway, the 11.3 updates killed my iPad Air 2 and it's only just stable again after the last update. Rushing into an iOS update is not something I'll be doing anymore...
I’ve never had problems with updates but usually do the iPad and wait another day or so for the phone. However I’ve just gone against that by updating an iPad air2, iPhone 7+ and iPhone 6+ with no problems ... so far;)

So, I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini for years, and really liked it, nice curve on the back, feels really good in the hand. It's been replaced with an iPhone SE. I like quite a lot about this, eg typing is generally easier and it's MUCH faster. But comparatively, the feel is awful. I think it's the flat back. Both of them have the most minimal case I could find with a little bit of front protection, but the iPhone feels like a brick in comparison!

Coincidentally, I saw an original (or very early) iPhone in a local charity shop recently, for £20 or so. It was a bit small, but the feel was lovely, a very nice curve in the hand. I thought it was perhaps a bit much for something that probably wouldn't work, but then changed my mind and went back the next day... but it had gone!

Siri Shortcuts in iOS 12 looks good. And bringing google maps to CarPlay is a nice move.

I was disappointed by the whole iOS thing last night too be honest, I’m definitely not one for all these Emojis, Animoji and the such like....!

I did like the new finder features on the Mac OS, but I will need to know if Aperture is stable on that new platform.

All in all I wasn’t thrilled by last nights keynote.

I too, am waiting to see what the se 2 will be like, I hope still in the 5 series form.? Time will tell.!

I did like the new finder features on the Mac OS, but I will need to know if Aperture is stable on that new platform.

All in all I wasn’t thrilled by last nights keynote.

I too, am waiting to see what the se 2 will be like, I hope still in the 5 series form.? Time will tell.!

Ooohhh if you find out whether Aperture is stable or not, please do report here!

I gave up waiting for a SE 2 and bought a SE a few weeks ago. Happy with the size and responsiveness, though not the brick-like shape, which I find uncomfortable to hold, as a phone.

So, reiterations of existing products have arrived and although it's largely much of the same (better camera, faster, smaller bezels etc..) that we come to expect, I was pleasantly surprised by the 7nm processor! Nicely done Apple!

Smart-HDR on the iPhone is simply a clone mechanism of the Google Pixel camera, not to be knocked but will be interesting to see how Apples machine-learning compares to Big G

FaceID is apparently more secure and faster, which is confusing because it was supposed to be ridiculously secure and fast last year? It was previously marketed that the phone would be unlocked before you went to use it, seems fruitless (no pun intended)

Apple Watch Series 4 looks kinda samey, albeit its supposedly redesigned, ECG function looks cool and the crown now has taptic feedback

Homepod now does some more things that every other smart-speaker was already doing

No announcements of a MacBook Air replacement or anything to do with the Mac Mini

UK price is reaching dizzying heights and the options for a more manageable size are gone.

And, no more TouchID...

All in all, nice upgrades if you want the latest gadgetry, but nothing mind-blowing IMO

Anyone else watch it?

So, reiterations of existing products have arrived and although it's largely much of the same (better camera, faster, smaller bezels etc..) that we come to expect, I was pleasantly surprised by the 7nm processor! Nicely done Apple!

Smart-HDR on the iPhone is simply a clone mechanism of the Google Pixel camera, not to be knocked but will be interesting to see how Apples machine-learning compares to Big G

FaceID is apparently more secure and faster, which is confusing because it was supposed to be ridiculously secure and fast last year? It was previously marketed that the phone would be unlocked before you went to use it, seems fruitless (no pun intended)

Apple Watch Series 4 looks kinda samey, albeit its supposedly redesigned, ECG function looks cool and the crown now has taptic feedback

Homepod now does some more things that every other smart-speaker was already doing

No announcements of a MacBook Air replacement or anything to do with the Mac Mini

UK price is reaching dizzying heights and the options for a more manageable size are gone.

And, no more TouchID...

All in all, nice upgrades if you want the latest gadgetry, but nothing mind-blowing IMO

Anyone else watch it?

I watched it as my 6s is about to conk it and thought I'd see what the latest phones offer.

I would love the dual lens camera of the Xs as that would negate any need to carry a pocket camera but apart from that I see little reason to spend the significant extra cash over the Xr, I have force touch on my 6s and I am sure I won't miss it and IME OLED isn't that much better than LCD, not for my use anyway.

I watched it as my 6s is about to conk it and thought I'd see what the latest phones offer.

I would love the dual lens camera of the Xs as that would negate any need to carry a pocket camera but apart from that I see little reason to spend the significant extra cash over the Xr, I have force touch on my 6s and I am sure I won't miss it and IME OLED isn't that much better than LCD, not for my use anyway.

On a mobile device you're probably right, but the OLED display on the Lenovo X1 is stunning, best screen I have seen by a clear mile, probably not colour accurate but I've got calibrated Dell Ultrasharps for that

On a mobile device you're probably right, but the OLED display on the Lenovo X1 is stunning, best screen I have seen by a clear mile, probably not colour accurate but I've got calibrated Dell Ultrasharps for that

To be honest I'm hardly a power user of my phone; photos, music, emails and web browsing is pretty much all I do, I barely make any calls - clocking up under 20 hours in the 3 years I've had it. I have a 10.5" iPad pro for on the go films/games/photo editing/work.

TBH the 6s is plenty enough for me except I would love a telephoto lens on it, but as I don't want something the size of a plus it would need to be the Xs (or X? I largely ignored that release). In fact I would prefer to have a headphone socket but am prepared to forego that for some water-resistance (not that I've ever killed a phone in the wet) as I have finally managed to find some wireless headphones I find an acceptable alternative to my B&O H6.

Money isn't really an issue but still £1150 on a 'phone' really grates.

I'm amazed people still buy iPhones. They are so over priced it's unreal.

Like a lot of other devices of late, certainly not unique to the fruit company. I'm a Xiaomi user, not because I can't afford an iPhone, I just seek top value-for-money, and I believe a lot of companies don't offer this anymore. I don't need a £1000+ phone to call, text, check social media and frequent forums, which in return gives me relatively poor battery-life.

Like a lot of other devices of late, certainly not unique to the fruit company. I'm a Xiaomi user, not because I can't afford an iPhone, I just seek top value-for-money, and I believe a lot of companies don't offer this anymore. I don't need a £1000+ phone to call, text, check social media and frequent forums, which in return gives me relatively poor battery-life.
I agree. I have a high end ish device. A galaxy s8 plus. For the first time in years I upgraded to a model that was about to be outdated by a newer one. I bought mine a few weeks before the s9 came out purely because it was a good deal. The price of contracts have gone stupid as well. Its mad all over

The XR is really tempting and for a modern phone these days seems almost reasonable…did I just say that?

It has the same A12 chip as the flagship, it is only missing OLED, IP68, the telephoto lens and 3D touch.

I don't need OLED on a phone, honestly I think that is a waste, it is nice to have but for day to day use, looking at icons, check emails, WhatsApp and facebook, OLED offer no advantage over LCD.

The telephoto really, hmmm, I think we all in this forum knows what real bokeh is so no need.

The benefit is £300 cheaper, battery lasts longer, good size. It still have NFC, wireless charging IP67.

I am currently running iPhone 6, before iPhone 4 then iPhone 1. My history is I upgrade every 4 years, it make sense to get the XR for me….tried Android last year, it's now at the bottom of my drawer.

I'm amazed people still buy iPhones. They are so over priced it's unreal.

I have a s/h iPhone 7, cost me £300+ and I thought that was just about okay, it does everything I need ... reportedly £1500 for the new iPhone? £3000 for iPhone with watch??

I have a s/h iPhone 7, cost me £300+ and I thought that was just about okay, it does everything I need ... reportedly £1500 for the new iPhone? £3000 for iPhone with watch??
£1500 is for the top model with 512gb of memory. The one with 256gb is £1250 I think and the base model which nobody wants because it only has 64gb is £1099.

Back