All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Sounds fishy to me. My biggest issue with this is when exactly do they initiate these throttling events. I really cannot see them doing this on a device by device basis and checking battery voltages, so are they assuming that all devices over X age will have lesser reliably batteries and just blanket throttle all devices?

I do suspect the latter, having seen older devices that were running slow after updates and replaced failing batteries the performance never came back.

They simply cannot and should not assume that batteries have the same "lifestyle". Each handsets mileage will vary.

Sounds fishy to me. My biggest issue with this is when exactly do they initiate these throttling events. I really cannot see them doing this on a device by device basis and checking battery voltages, so are they assuming that all devices over X age will have lesser reliably batteries and just blanket throttle all devices?

I do suspect the latter, having seen older devices that were running slow after updates and replaced failing batteries the performance never came back.

They simply cannot and should not assume that batteries have the same "lifestyle". Each handsets mileage will vary.

I’m pretty sure you’re wrong in your suspicion, as the reason this came out was that performance was restored to the old device with a battery replacement, iirc the original story mentioned doing performance tests pre and post battery replacement and showing the score had returned to expected levels with the new battery.

Fair dos. That's not too bad then. Although I've been reading that battery and cpu tech really doesn't need this sort of restriction, at the point he battery becomes an issue with performance would be the point it stops charging due to the lower voltages required by the processor.

As others have said though, some notification to the user regarding battery throttling events may have been a good idea. It stinks of them wanting more phone replacement revenues.

I’m pretty sure you’re wrong in your suspicion, as the reason this came out was that performance was restored to the old device with a battery replacement, iirc the original story mentioned doing performance tests pre and post battery replacement and showing the score had returned to expected levels with the new battery.
Yes, the problem is that it is being reported everywhere as “old phones” but should be “old batteries” though even that is not really right since it is the number of cycles which is relevant.

Fair dos. That's not too bad then. Although I've been reading that battery and cpu tech really doesn't need this sort of restriction, at the point he battery becomes an issue with performance would be the point it stops charging due to the lower voltages required by the processor.

As others have said though, some notification to the user regarding battery throttling events may have been a good idea. It stinks of them wanting more phone replacement revenues.

Thing is, Apple did give a notification about it in the past. I had the notification on an old iPhone 6 (which went away after I changed the battery).

ios11-iphone8-settings-battery-service-crop.jpg

I can’t find anything to say whether this still happens, though Apple still have a webpage about it, so it would be reasonable to expect it does.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207453

I understand the logic of what they did
If a car manufacturer used the engine management system to reduce engine power to save the car's battery or tyres after one year of purchase there would be a international outcry and governments would get involved like they did with the VW emissions scandal.
The only people to benefit from Apple slowing down iPhone and iPad are shareholders. Can you imagine how much money customers have spent replacing their phones when all was needed was a battery replacement, it must be several millions at least. Totally dishonest practice from a totally dishonest company. I hope Apple get sued to the max.
The school I work for has recently replaced iPads because of slow performance, The school definitely needs answers as to whether Apple has crippled the performance of more of its products like ipads macbooks etc. Schools are struggling for money as it is they could do without dishonesty from Apple causing them to spend money unnecessarily. Disgraceful from Apple.
How many schools, hospitals, and other businesses as this affected?

Last edited:
If a car manufacturer used the engine management system to reduce engine power to save the car's battery or tyres after one year of purchase there would be a international outcry and governments would get involved like they did with the VW emissions scandal.
The only people to benefit from Apple slowing down iPhone and iPad are shareholders. Can you imagine how much money customers have spent replacing their phones when all was needed was a battery replacement, it must be several millions at least. Totally dishonest practice from a totally dishonest company. I hope Apple get sued to the max.
The school I work for has recently replaced iPads because of slow performance, The school definitely needs answers as to weather Apple has crippled the performance of more of its products like ipads macbooks etc. Schools are struggling for money as it is they could do without dishonesty from Apple causing them to spend money unnecessarily. Disgraceful from Apple.
How many schools, hospitals, and other businesses as this affected?
Maybe the schools are struggling because they buy new iPads when all they have to do is change the battery ;-)
Not sure about you car analogy. If you do,say 500,000 (or whatever the car is designed for) miles in first year will the manufacturer replace it?

Edit, typo

Last edited:
Maybe the schools are struggling because they buy new iPads when all they have to do is change the chattery ;-)
There is always one who comes on here demonstrating they have passed their degree in hindsight with flying colours lol.

There is always one who comes on here demonstrating they have passed their degree in hindsight with flying colours lol.
Not sure about hindsight. There are various battery apps that will tell how much of the original capacity is left and,though I’m no expert! I use those on the various old iPads/phones that I have with the family and I would have thought a school would do at least that. I think (forgotten where I read it) that you can also connect an iPad th iTunes and access Apples own battery check that tells you how many cycles it has done.

the iPads were not replaced because of a battery pop problem, the battery showed as OK in the iOS battery check. the iPads were replaced because of the very slow performance. at the time the news that Apple had used an update to knobble the CPU was not released yet.

the iPads were not replaced because of a battery pop problem, the battery showed as OK in the iOS battery check. the iPads were replaced because of the very slow performance. at the time the news that Apple had used an update to knobble the CPU was not released yet.
Yes, I understand that but batteries are consumable so really should have been checked. Anyway, I don’t want to go on and on about it because I don’t know all the facts and the school may have taken the right decision.

Mrs F as just got a 6S (had a 5S before) and has moved from Virgin to EE. She put the PA C code through and the number has transferred over but there appears to be an anomaly as far as texts are concerned. If she sends me a text, it comes through fine but she's not receiving any, they're going through to her old phone. There is no service on the 5S, the texts are only going to it because of the wifi.

I can't see any settings that need changing, have I missed something?

Could it be some settings for iMessages? May change the settings on the 5s to not use iMessages and see if the text comes through.

Could it be some settings for iMessages? May change the settings on the 5s to not use iMessages and see if the text comes through.

I checked that. It suddenly worked a little while later. There were a couple of test messages I sent earlier that didn't go through to the old phone even though they showed vas delivered on mine, note sure what happened to them.

If you port networks it can be a bit weird for the first day. Not everything moves at once.

If you port networks it can be a bit weird for the first day. Not everything moves at once.

Yes, I seem to remember weird things from previous times, just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything obvious tat I'd missed.

Yes, I seem to remember weird things from previous times, just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything obvious tat I'd missed.

Porting times are also impacted by the Christmas holidays. My team were issued a list of dates matching port requests with expected completion.

Yes, I understand that but batteries are consumable so really should have been checked.
If you knew that Apple were throttling CPU's based on the age of the battery (not its condition) why did you not tell us before the news broke in the press.

Now Apple have been found out lying to its customers they admitting they are wrong and apologising for their error. Now they have reduced the price of replacement batteries. Had this had not been outed Apple would of done nothing about this. I hope the people in America who are suing Apple are successful it's just pure corporate greed from Apple.

If you knew that Apple were throttling CPU's based on the age of the battery (not its condition) why did you not tell us before the news broke in the press.

Now Apple have been found out lying to its customers they admitting they are wrong and apologising for their error. Now they have reduced the price of replacement batteries. Had this had not been outed Apple would of done nothing about this. I hope the people in America who are suing Apple are successful it's just pure corporate greed from Apple.
I could’ve (!) but then I’d’ve (!) missed being educated by by you over the holidays while I’ve been stuck in hospital with a chest infection, delirious at times* but hilarious here! Thanks for all the fish!

*Caution, play for sympathy

Apple now agreed it was wrong and will bring out a new software update to give users more choice and reduce battery replacement to £21 rather than £56 for affected iPhones.

Apple now agreed it was wrong and will bring out a new software update to give users more choice and reduce battery replacement to £21 rather than £56 for affected iPhones.

I think your prices are going to be wrong, the idiotic news agencies have done straight currency conversions on the $79/$29 US prices.

The battery replacement is currently £79 and will probably be £29 here.

Porting times are also impacted by the Christmas holidays. My team were issued a list of dates matching port requests with expected completion.

Yes, I put the PAC code through last Saturday so I knew it would take a while.

Interestingly, someone phoned her yesterday but we were rather surprised when it was her old phone that was ringing. She then realised that her new phone was on silent. I'm guessing the call connected to both phones because the wifi was still on on her old phone but is that normal? I don't remember that happening before.

Yes, I put the PAC code through last Saturday so I knew it would take a while.

Interestingly, someone phoned her yesterday but we were rather surprised when it was her old phone that was ringing. She then realised that her new phone was on silent. I'm guessing the call connected to both phones because the wifi was still on on her old phone but is that normal? I don't remember that happening before.

Hmmmm. New one to me. I suspect you might be right, and it came through as a Wi-fi call to the other one.

Hmmmm. New one to me. I suspect you might be right, and it came through as a Wi-fi call to the other one.
Probably. But you can have 2 iPhones with same number in some countries (Germany, I think) even on 2 different networks, but it is not available here presumably based by networks or HMG. Annoying because if you have a working older phone it would useful to take that to hospital etc. Otherwise you have to swap the SIMs. Or where network coverage is variable.

Yes, we switched wifi off and I called her and only the new phone rang.

I just fired up my old HTC and tried the same but it didn't ring.

The story quoted above is wrong in that it states "Macs running earlier operating systems than macOS 10.13 are understood to be affected". Nope, the bug is present in Macs running macOS High Sierra, not earlier versions, and is not present in the latest 10.13.3 beta.
(I'm running macOS 10.12.6 and this bug isn't present.)

Don't panic!
In reality it's not a major concern as someone needs access to a machine running macOS 10.13 High Sierra which is already logged in as an administrator, in which case the App Store prefs are probably unlocked by default (these prefs set your choices for downloading and applying automatic app & OS updates).

Basic security - don't leave your computer unlocked when you walk away from it, in a public place.

While this limited bug isn't much of a concern, what's more concerning is that it's a further indicator of Apple's failure to do proper QA on security related issues in the recent past.

While this limited bug isn't much of a concern, what's more concerning is that it's a further indicator of Apple's failure to do proper QA on security related issues in the recent past.

Couldn't agree more! It seems that QA has seriously taken a nosedive as the years roll-on

Updated to 11.2.5 but it has messed up the notification sounds on my iPhone 7 i.e. some no longer work even though they are set to work.
Is it possible to rollback to the previous version?

Updated to 11.2.5 but it has messed up the notification sounds on my iPhone 7 i.e. some no longer work even though they are set to work.
Is it possible to rollback to the previous version?

Driving me mad too

Once settled I am not going to update for a few releases. Happy withe iPad but the phone experience is pushing me back to Android.

I had no issues with the updates to my iPhone X, Apple Watch 2, iPad Pro 10.5 or Apple TV 4K.

Driving me mad too

Once settled I am not going to update for a few releases. Happy withe iPad but the phone experience is pushing me back to Android.

Obviously rushed out without sufficient thought and testing, a real nuisance.

I was happy with iOS 10 but 11 has p***ed me off. It seems be about more ad more ‘features’ and less ‘benefits’ - in other words an ‘arse about’ direction.

iOS 11.2.5 went through 6 or 7 betas, so hardly rushed out.

For the record, no problems on an iPhone 6s, 7 or 8 or an iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro...

If you did an OTA update, perhaps consider using iTunes, backup the device, use the restore command in iTunes to give it a fresh install and than put the backup back on. It usually resolves 95% of update issues.

Last edited:
iOS 11.2.5 went through 6 or 7 betas, so hardly rushed out.

For the record, no problems on an iPhone 6s, 7 or 8 or an iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro...

Great for you but not so great for me ,,, my received text messages no longer have sound and neither do my received tweets.

Back