All things related to Apple phones & tablets

It could be in password/accounts or calendar and set to all events ?
I didn't want to set it to All Events, since my calendars go back to 2000 or so! But do you think it would help (as opposed to the "just the last month" setting)?

Yes, that's it
Sometimes signing out of iCloud everywhere and signing back in cures non-synching.

I might try that next year ;):D!

Sometimes signing out of iCloud everywhere and signing back in cures non-synching.
I might try that next year ;):D!

Just tried this, and I'm almost happy to say, it worked! I now have the last month's worth of calendar on the iPhone.

The reservation is, that ALL the contacts on my iPhone have disappeared. :(

I did an iCloud backup fairly recently. Now I need to work out how to get the Contacts back from that!

ETA: Phew, managed to get them back after a G**gle search...

Thanks very much for all your help, folks. This thread has been invaluable to me.(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
ok I thought I was going mad as got my 1st ipad a couple of days ago.
went to set it up using a restore on Itunes from my phone and it kept saying it could not do it due to the Ipads ios too old
the problem is phone on 12.1.2 and tablet on 12.1.1
after chatting to apple support about this it seems it's a rare occurrence where the software on the phone and Ipad dont match as no version 12.1.2 was done for the Ipad.
They said version 12.1.3 should be released soon which will be on both so I can then set my Ipad up properly to match with my phone.

ok I thought I was going mad as got my 1st ipad a couple of days ago.
went to set it up using a restore on Itunes from my phone and it kept saying it could not do it due to the Ipads ios too old
the problem is phone on 12.1.2 and tablet on 12.1.1
after chatting to apple support about this it seems it's a rare occurrence where the software on the phone and Ipad dont match as no version 12.1.2 was done for the Ipad.
They said version 12.1.3 should be released soon which will be on both so I can then set my Ipad up properly to match with my phone.

What do you mean “to match with your phone”?

Also not sure why you’d want to restore an iPad from an iPhone back up.

As long as you have the same Apple ID on both, you can have seamless syncing.

I got to the situation where the trade in value of my iPhone X was more than was left outstanding on it (O2 are currently do an enhanced recycle offer), so upgraded to the XS Max.

I got to the situation where the trade in value of my iPhone X was more than was left outstanding on it (O2 are currently do an enhanced recycle offer), so upgraded to the XS Max.

You’ll enjoy it, not just the extra real estate but the increased battery life!

I’m currently on my 2nd IPad, a last generation iPad Pro (large screen) and absolutely love it but one thing I’ve noticed lately is that the screen doesn’t seem as responsive - if I’m typing words out, I keep finding missed letters. I’m sure it didn't used to be like that. Has anybody else noticed it? Or is it just me? I’m on the latest update.

Cheers

Chris

DUMB ICLOUD QUESTION!

I keep getting notifications that my ICloud storage is almost full. I can't remember setting up ICloud storage, so I presume it is on by default. I presume that the bulk of the material stored are photos.

Anyhow, what I'd like to know is how I can delete my ICloud storage without removing the photos from IPad Pro - 1st generation.

Please keep any replies clear and simple as I'm a techno thickie!

Cheers

DUMB ICLOUD QUESTION!

I keep getting notifications that my ICloud storage is almost full. I can't remember setting up ICloud storage, so I presume it is on by default. I presume that the bulk of the material stored are photos.

Anyhow, what I'd like to know is how I can delete my ICloud storage without removing the photos from IPad Pro - 1st generation.

Please keep any replies clear and simple as I'm a techno thickie!

Cheers

just turn it off on your photo's
it should not delete anything on your phone and if i recall correctly it will tell you it wont delete the duplicates off icloud for 1 month.
the only thing it would delete off your phone is the shared ones but you can leave that turned on if it effects you.

just turn it off on your photo's
it should not delete anything on your phone and if i recall correctly it will tell you it wont delete the duplicates off icloud for 1 month.
the only thing it would delete off your phone is the shared ones but you can leave that turned on if it effects you.

Thanks.

As far as I can tell, it is already turned off on my IPad. I may have turned it off after I got the first notification about ICloud being almost full. I've been getting these notifications for several weeks now and they're becoming tiresome.

I'm not fussed about having stuff deleted from ICloud but don't want to accidentally delete stuff from my IPad.

So I'm still not sure what to do now ....

Settings/photos/iCloud Photos then turn it off and read the message — you can Cancel without changing anything. I think the message may vary depending on your storage etc. In my case it offers to “Remove from iPad”, “Dowload Photos and Videos”,”Cancel” but says any that have been optimised for size (ie reduced) will be deleted but remain on iCloud to be downloaded elsewhere.
In Settings you can see under “Storage” whether iCloud is all photos or other files.

I personally am now wondering if getting the 10.5 was a little bit of a mistake for me.
I find all I do with it is play the odd game on it.
most of the time I spend on my Laptop (Dell 2in1 17inch i7 top spec Inspiron) which is what i do all my editing etc, on.
I seem to be finding I have no actual use for it and am still trying to find some way to use it to justify keeping it :(

I see Apple are having an event on March 25th to launch their TV streaming service.

I see Apple are having an event on March 25th to launch their TV streaming service.

Have we not reached saturation with streaming services yet!? With Netflix and Prime going strong and Disney's massive vault opening soon I'm not convinced there's a need for another unless there's a unique selling point..

Have we not reached saturation with streaming services yet!? With Netflix and Prime going strong and Disney's massive vault opening soon I'm not convinced there's a need for another unless there's a unique selling point..

I thought so too, but some are predicting 100 million users in 3 years.

Apple's streaming service is 'a game changer,' to add 100 million users in 3 years, Wedbush says https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/app...00-million-users-in-3-years-wedbush-says.html

If it was bundled in with an Apple Music subscription at no extra cost, then it might be tempting, otherwise I'll stick with Netflix & Prime. Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks!

Only way to change the game is if it's a gateway to access all content on all streaming services. Yet another walled garden is a waste of time.

I recently had a problem where my iPhone SE would not charge. This was the first charge after upgrading to 12.1.4, which may or may not be relevant. To cut a long story short, I found that I could get it to charge by first unlocking the phone, then inserting the charger and turning it on. Unlocking after the charger was inserted didn't work.

Subsequently, it began behaving normally again.

I have had an extensive twitter DM session with Apple Support including running diagnostics (which is another story, but I'll ignore that here). They got me to check the charger port for dust (there was some in the outer part but none visible internally).

@srichards had also hinted at the possibility that changes to prevent access to/from accessories while locked may have had something to do with this. Apple Support got me to check Settings > Touch ID and Passcode to see if USB accessories was enabled; it was not, and they recommended I enable it.

Internet searches indicate this problem can occur for other phones including the iPhone XS...

Well I like the look of Apple News+ and Apple Card looks very interesting. I wonder if there are plans for a launch here.

Well I like the look of Apple News+ and Apple Card looks very interesting. I wonder if there are plans for a launch here.

For me, it offered nothing new, and with no pricing on TV+ it was all a bit weird, albeit there was some good names on there, but with Disney+ around the corner it's an interesting time in the streaming space.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm in no rush to get another credit-card..

I recently had a problem where my iPhone SE would not charge. This was the first charge after upgrading to 12.1.4, which may or may not be relevant. To cut a long story short, I found that I could get it to charge by first unlocking the phone, then inserting the charger and turning it on. Unlocking after the charger was inserted didn't work.

I have had an extensive twitter DM session with Apple Support including running diagnostics (which is another story, but I'll ignore that here). They got me to check the charger port for dust (there was some in the outer part but none visible internally).

@srichards had also hinted at the possibility that changes to prevent access to/from accessories while locked may have had something to do with this. Apple Support got me to check Settings > Touch ID and Passcode to see if USB accessories was enabled; it was not, and they recommended I enable it.

Internet searches indicate this problem can occur for other phones including the iPhone XS...
I get this with the dock by my bed. If the phone hasn't been unlocked for a hour it doesn't charge. Thanks to the link for the setting.

I keep getting this in Safari (iPhone 6S). Any ideas what could be causing it? I have full signal and 4G and it's only started happening recently.

2066F373-908E-4AE1-B136-EEC0EB7D7A3D.png

Check if the URL you're sending starts with "http" or "https"? I had this with another site where the "s" had gone missing.

I keep getting this in Safari (iPhone 6S). Any ideas what could be causing it? I have full signal and 4G and it's only started happening recently.

View attachment 240901
I have the same problem in Safari with my iPad (good WiFi and so on) iOS 12.2x and now 12.3 (beta). Happens on random/all sites but when I hit refresh the page usually immediately loads — as though it was already there waiting”. I haven’t been able to find others currently who are suffering and most reference just cite connection problems but I suspect it may be Safari/iOS. :mad:

Check if the URL you're sending starts with "http" or "https"? I had this with another site where the "s" had gone missing.
Can’t see how it could be that in my case since refresh loads the page.

I have the same problem in Safari with my iPad (good WiFi and so on) iOS 12.2x and now 12.3 (beta). Happens on random/all sites but when I hit refresh the page usually immediately loads — as though it was already there waiting”. I haven’t been able to find others currently who are suffering and most reference just cite connection problems but I suspect it may be Safari/iOS. :mad:

Yes, this is exactly what happens with me

So, 3 weeks later or so, and this issue returned with a vengeance Thursday night. No way could I get the phone to charge at all. More long sessions with Apple Support; after various diagnostics and a scary remote session, they decided I should revert to an iCloud backup I'd taken while I still had about 30% power. To do that, apparently I needed to update iTunes to the latest version. To do that, I had to upgrade my Mac to Mojave. Before that, I had to backup the Mac. Several hours later, the Mac is running (the horrible, so far) Mojave, and I discover that the backup restore session just doesn't work. Obviously something wrong with the hardware, so they give me an appointment at an Apple Store 12 miles away. By the time I turn up there, the phone (which has been off for most of this time, but has to be on to keep in touch with SWMBO) is down to 3%!

I was rather hoping for the swap to a new iPhone that the Senior Adviser had hinted at. However, eventually the Genius (!) turns up, takes one look at the phone, fishes out one of those pointy SIM card release thingies, and proceeds to drag a surprisingly large amount of fluff out of the charge port, after which the phone charges just fine! (I had looked in and could see nothing; also gave it many blasts with a rocket blower just in case, so I suppose, if in doubt, poke about!)

I'm guessing this was probably the problem last time, too. Now, just how many settings did that guy last night get me to alter, and how can I get them back? And how on Mojave can I get my 4-star Aperture album as feed for my screen-saver shots? (And probably many other questions related to Mojave that I haven't thought of yet...)

Rather than a metal thingy I’ve used the plastic stem of a cotton bud, cut to a pointy shape, for cleaning the iPhone socket.

Back