All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Im getting p*$$£# 0££ with my aging apple airport extreme and looking to replace it with a more modern router with better connection. My house sees to have lead in the walls so looking for something with a bit of oomph!
I am using Virgin media and have the virgin hub in bridge mode. Also have an ethernet hub, USB hub and Synology NAS connected.
I also have two airport express boxes, one to send audio to, the other to extend the range of the wifi (which doesn’t seem to work very well…)
Can other brands of router utilise these airport express boxes, either for sending audio, or extending the network?
Can i connect a hard drive to a non-apple router to use as a time machine disk?
What are the good and bad makes of router?

Im getting p*$$£# 0££ with my aging apple airport extreme and looking to replace it with a more modern router with better connection. My house sees to have lead in the walls so looking for something with a bit of oomph!
I am using Virgin media and have the virgin hub in bridge mode. Also have an ethernet hub, USB hub and Synology NAS connected.
I also have two airport express boxes, one to send audio to, the other to extend the range of the wifi (which doesn’t seem to work very well…)
Can other brands of router utilise these airport express boxes, either for sending audio, or extending the network?
Can i connect a hard drive to a non-apple router to use as a time machine disk?
What are the good and bad makes of router?

I've got a Netgear D7000 that's given me no real issues over the last 3 years - WiFi is pretty strong and it supports plugging in a USB Drive, not sure if you can use that for Time Machine though but I'd imagine that as long as the Mac can see it it would work ok?

I do love FileBrowser, its great being able to access my NAS when I'm away from home!

Yes, and TeamViewer is handy for when you want to do more than just access files. And if your home network is on a dynamic DNS, you can use TeamViewer to get your network's external IP, then shut it down to save a bit of bandwidth, and fire up FileBrowser to do the heavy lifting.

This should also work on Android using a file manager such as ES File Explorer. It works with a static DNS.

Last edited:
Let the Synology NAS do the Time-Machine role, as for a router I'd go for a meshable solution such as Synology or one of the other mesh solutions.

With the increase in WiFi speeds the range becomes less as it's more reliant on the 5Ghz range so if you need something to extend your wireless currently your new solution is likely to need the same.

The public beta of iPadOS (and iOS 13, MacOS Catalina) were released a couple of days ago. This is just a FYI but iPadOS is quite buggy, more so than other betas I’ve tried in the past —eg pad switches off when trying to open Safari link in new window, can’t delete (some) emails in Mail and various other things.

Not a problem for me as I have another iPad on iOS12 but YWMV!

(Some of the new features aren’t available yet.)

The public beta of iPadOS (and iOS 13, MacOS Catalina) were released a couple of days ago. This is just a FYI but iPadOS is quite buggy, more so than other betas I’ve tried in the past —eg pad switches off when trying to open Safari link in new window, can’t delete (some) emails in Mail and various other things.

Not a problem for me as I have another iPad on iOS12 but YWMV!

(Some of the new features aren’t available yet.)

I’ve been using the iPad OS beta since Dev beta 2 came out and have experienced none of those issues on my iPad Pro.

The only bugs I’ve encountered is the Barclaycard app refuses to use TouchID and on occasion I get a landscape keyboard in portrait (so cuts off the right side) which is rectified by turning the iPad into landscape and back to portrait.

I haven’t encountered a single bug that makes the iPad unusable.

I’ve been using the iPad OS beta since Dev beta 2 came out and have experienced none of those issues on my iPad Pro.

The only bugs I’ve encountered is the Barclaycard app refuses to use TouchID and on occasion I get a landscape keyboard in portrait (so cuts off the right side) which is rectified by turning the iPad into landscape and back to portrait.

I haven’t encountered a single bug that makes the iPad unusable.
Interesting, I’m using an iPad Pro too. Usually I’m the one that has no issue :) when others are complaining! If you are on a dev beta maybe yours is a later version than mine? Anyway, the iPad is entirely usable on iPadOS though there may be a glitch that I haven’t found yet.

Edit to add that the emails that don’t delete are probably all in gmail accounts where the deletion always works differently from dot.mac accounts.

Last edited:
Interesting, I’m using an iPad Pro too. Usually I’m the one that has no issue :) when others are complaining! If you are on a dev beta maybe yours is a later version than mine? Anyway, the iPad is entirely usable on iPadOS though there may be a glitch that I haven’t found yet.

Edit to add that the emails that don’t delete are probably all in gmail accounts where the deletion always works differently from dot.mac accounts.

I was under the impression the Dev 2 was the same as Public 1 so I’m not sure that is the case, mine is reporting as13.0 (17A5508m).

Also, it’s gmail that I mostly use on the iPad for my email and aren’t seeing any deletion problems there. Are you using gmail via the stock Mail app?

I was under the impression the Dev 2 was the same as Public 1 so I’m not sure that is the case, mine is reporting as13.0 (17A5508m).

Also, it’s gmail that I mostly use on the iPad for my email and aren’t seeing any deletion problems there. Are you using gmail via the stock Mail app?
Yes, that’s the same version number. Yes, Apple Mail, it’s also seems to slow to “collect” some mail that appears on my phone (iOS 12.x), some mail arrives 2 hours later even though other later mail has already appeared

Sometimes I can delete mail by ‘sliding’ /more/ and delete will be an option, and works but sometimes not. Also can delete by ‘sliding’ /more/move and choosing gmail trash ;)

Last edited:
Yes, that’s the same version number. Yes, Apple Mail, it’s also seems to slow to “collect” some mail that appears on my phone (iOS 12.x), some mail arrives 2 hours later even though other later mail has already appeared

Sometimes I can delete mail by ‘sliding’ /more/ and delete will be an option, and works but sometimes not. Also can delete by ‘sliding’ /more/move and choosing gmail trash ;)

I always delete by sliding left and choosing delete so maybe that’s the difference. I have since noticed I can’t permanently delete from the bin though, but I can if using the Spark Mail app.

I always delete by sliding left and choosing delete so maybe that’s the difference. I have since noticed I can’t permanently delete from the bin though, but I can if using the Spark Mail app.
Interesting — I would delete always by sliding left but it’s not available generally, I think only with my Apple and Microsoft (live.com outlook.com) accounts never with my gmail accounts. If you can do it with your gmail account we must be doing something different. My experience is with several iPads (iPad 2, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 10.5 and other people’s) so that’s a bit odd. The only thing that occurs to me is that maybe you are collecting your gmail via your Apple account, which seems unlikely :(.

Interesting — I would delete always by sliding left but it’s not available generally, I think only with my Apple and Microsoft (live.com outlook.com) accounts never with my gmail accounts. If you can do it with your gmail account we must be doing something different. My experience is with several iPads (iPad 2, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 10.5 and other people’s) so that’s a bit odd. The only thing that occurs to me is that maybe you are collecting your gmail via your Apple account, which seems unlikely :(.

You change the slider action in email settings, from archive to delete. It’s passwords and accounts -(choose the account) - settings - advanced iirc.

Last edited:
You change the slider action in email settings, from archive to delete. It’s passwords and accounts -(choose the account) - settings - advanced iirc.
Thanks, I’ll have a look.

Many thanks for that! It is, as you say, settings/p&accounts/choose account/advanced and the you have to tick MOVE DICARDED MESSAGES INTO: “Deleted Mailbox“ (instead of “Archived”). In the offending account “Archived” was selected, presumably set by default for Gmail since the other accounts were all OK. Also it’s not very “sticky”, I found it unset itself and had to go back and reset it a couple of times!.
Its not very obvious that the setting refers to the ”sliding“ property or that it puts a trash can in the menu bar! Anyway, thanks again.

Any suggestions for workflow with Lightroom and new iPadOS 13?

I'm looking for a professional workflow for when I need to process files on-site, I'll use the same workflow it for travel so that I get used to it.

I see lightroom can directly import from SD card which is a nice step, perhaps I'll just want to import all raws, process jpgs and back-up raws/jpgs to an external drive. Doesn't sound too taxing.

I installed the beta and tried 3 SD cards

128gb 300mbs - 2500+ Sony A9 raws
64gb 95mbs - 2500+ JPG
128gb 300mbs - 27 Leica Q2 raws

The two cards with 2500 woud tell me 'loading' when viewing the DCIM folder and eventually time out and say 0 files.

The card with just 27 images would show them, and individually I could 'share' them to Lightroom - but a select all and share gave me a 'copy to lightroom' option which did not respond.

So I can see potential but it's not fully working yet...

Well I am disappointed installed beta on my 10.5 pro gone to install it on my iPhone and guess what it’s now getting made redundant. iPhone 6 not getting ios13 :(

Well I am disappointed installed beta on my 10.5 pro gone to install it on my iPhone and guess what it’s now getting made redundant. iPhone 6 not getting ios13 :(

Yes, the old 1GB RAM devices are not getting iOS 13.

This is the list

iPhone models compatible with iOS 13
  • iPhone XS
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone SE
iPadOS 13 Compatible iPads (iOS 13 for iPad)
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro 3rd generation (2018 model)
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro 2nd generation
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro 1st generation
  • 11-inch iPad Pro (2018 model)
  • 10.5-inch iPad Pro
  • 9.7-inch iPad Pro
  • iPad 6th generation (2018 model)
  • iPad 5th generation (2017 model)
  • iPad Air 3 (2019 model)
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad mini 5 (2019 model)
  • iPad mini 4
http://osxdaily.com/2019/06/04/ios-13-compatible-iphone-ipad/

Yes, the old 1GB RAM devices are not getting iOS 13.

This is the list

iPhone models compatible with iOS 13
  • iPhone XS
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone SE
iPadOS 13 Compatible iPads (iOS 13 for iPad)
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro 3rd generation (2018 model)
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro 2nd generation
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro 1st generation
  • 11-inch iPad Pro (2018 model)
  • 10.5-inch iPad Pro
  • 9.7-inch iPad Pro
  • iPad 6th generation (2018 model)
  • iPad 5th generation (2017 model)
  • iPad Air 3 (2019 model)
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad mini 5 (2019 model)
  • iPad mini 4
http://osxdaily.com/2019/06/04/ios-13-compatible-iphone-ipad/
guess that means i may have to think about finally upgrading my phone lol. probably to a 8 as i like the button.

I’m still finding problems, odd behaviours and unexpected locks on my iPad Pro 10.5. Email appears late (compared with phone) or appears and then disappears only to re-appear much later and may not download message. The email problems could be down to gmail but it is working perfectly on the iphone. Maybe it is just my machine. I expect I’ll do a clean install and see if that cures some/all of the oddities.

I’ve done “Erase a contents and settings” and set up as a new device manually -- ie didn’t get settings from another device nor use a backup, both of whichI did previously (and usually do without problems).
That seems to have cured the glitches so it seems the updating must have got corrupted somewhere. To take one example, using the keyboard as a trackpad didn’t work in Mail (though it did elsewhere) but now it works correctly.
There are still some oddities but it’s hard to know if they are bugs or ”features”! For example in iOS 12 Safari a new tab always appeared at the extreme rhs but now appears next to the current tab. It’s a nuisance because if you have lot of tabs open then adding a new tab navigates to the rhs and AFAIK there is no other way to do it, unlike going to the lhs.

Do NOT try the Public iOS 13 (and probably iPadOS) on a device with the same Apple ID as your main device if you use Reminders App (MacOS or iOS) because your reminders will work on the Beta device but not be accessible on the others. It also stops Reminders loading in the Mojave web interface on Safari — you just get a message say a wonderful new Reminders App is coming.

This is my experience YMMV of course. Took me a long time to work out what was going on because iCloud sync seemed not to be working and I wasted time turning iCloud off and on for Reminders. It was only when I tried the desktop web version that I realised something was up! It may affect other Apps too of course.

New iPhones will be announced September 10th.

I really hope they don’t look like the images doing the rounds on Twitter, the cameras are really fugly.

E167AB00-021F-43B1-8661-EE19EA015139.jpeg
View: https://BANNED/bengeskin/status/1165290258877079552?s=21

Last edited:
Well I am on a 6 still.
I buy my phones outright and can’t afford the newest models + due to practicality I am a roofer and they do get dropped.
I myself hope the new phones helps bring down the value of the 8s etc 2nd hand.
Then at least I can use the same ios version as what I have on my ipad 10.5.
Anyone tried the mous cases are they really that good ?

Afternoon all,
What options are there for casting a video file from an iPhone to a smart TV? I know an apple tv can receive a stream, but are there any other cheaper / simpler options?

Afternoon all,
What options are there for casting a video file from an iPhone to a smart TV? I know an apple tv can receive a stream, but are there any other cheaper / simpler options?

Where is the video coming from? A Chromecast works fine for casting video from an iPhone for Netflix, YouTube, Amazon etc.

Where is the video coming from? A Chromecast works fine for casting video from an iPhone for Netflix, YouTube, Amazon etc.
They would be locally stored files in an iTunes playable format.

Faintly - but not to the point I'd buy one! I'v got an XS max that I only bought a few months ago, so for me - unless a fantastic "buy now" offer comes up I wouldn't bother! Camera's look good but not that good for me to want to buy one!

Is no one interested in the new Apple products?

I didn't see anything announced that was groundbreaking to be honest, just more iterative updates that every other manufacturer has been doing.

The Verge wrote a very good article effectively proving that a lot (most of) of manufacturers are adding 'Pro' at the end of their products as just a selling point as the product itself cannot be considered a tool for Professionals, especially a 'Professional' phone

Back