All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Does anyone really use Siri?

I used to, and also used Google Assistant loads on my old phone. But tbh I've found Alexa has them both beat with ease of use and response times, Siri was ok, but never felt natural, maybe it'll change but Apples advancements with Siri are slow to put it mildly.

Can’t stand Siri. Never use it. On my old android phone I used to have, I did quite like googles version. It worked better I thought. Not used it now for a few years. Never used Alexa before.

"Heads Up"

Some of you may remember a short time ago I was singing the praises of various photography apps for iPhones & iPads. Two of those apps were ProCamera for photos & videos, and FILMIC Pro for video editing. Both of these apps have now received more updates to enable them to operate better with the new features available on the new iPhone 12 Pro & Pro Max units.

Just thought some of you might be interested.

George.

A question regarding Siri and Bluetooth audio connection - I connect my phone to my car audio via Bluetooth to play audio. But when I try to use Siri, the phone is listening on the Bluetooth connection assuming it also has a mic. As my radio doesn’t have a mic attached Siri fails to hear anything.
Any suggestions (apart from buying a different head unit or a mic...)

I had an Ipad 8 for Christmas, to replace an Ipad 4, love it most of my Apps got Cloned OK.
But strange, when I went to charge it the USB Lead supplied would not fit the socket?
Eventually tried an old Lightning lead that connected OK,

Lighning’s correct so I guess they just packed the wrong cable but I’d suspect it might have been repacked?
Also when I tried to connect to my RAVPower rapid charger it refused to charge, any thoughts?

Lighning’s correct so I guess they just packed the wrong cable but I’d suspect it might have been repacked?

The latest generation on iPad comes with a lightning to USB-C cable that wouldn’t fit in the plug supplied with a previous generation iPad. He found the solution by using an old lighting to USB cable.

Anyone using pro camera app? I am trying it but can’t zoom? It works if set to 0.5x lens which is jpg only but on the 1.0x which is raw it doesn’t zoom?

I have it but can’t zoom? Is that an issue for you?

Simon, I have no problem zooming with the ProCamera app latest version. I am at the moment still only using an "iPhone 7 Plus" but hope to upgrade to the "12 Pro Max" very soon.

Last edited:
Simon, I have no problem zooming with the ProCamera app latest version. I am at the moment still only using an "iPhone 7 Plus" but hope to upgrade to the "12 Pro Max" very soon.

Am obviously missing something. Just above shutter button I have the 'slider' to switch between 0.5x and 1.0x (i.e. the 2 lenses). On the 0.5 is will only shoot jpg but can zoom with fingers as normal. But on 1.0 it won't budge (RAW)?

Am obviously missing something. Just above shutter button I have the 'slider' to switch between 0.5x and 1.0x (i.e. the 2 lenses). On the 0.5 is will only shoot jpg but can zoom with fingers as normal. But on 1.0 it won't budge (RAW)?
There seems to be two apps Pro camera and Procamera, the first by Moment (free download) and the second for £8.99 by Cocologics :(.

Its the second one of these

Simon, I've just been checking my apps "ProCamera" (app logo looks like vertical stripes) will zoom in all modes except Raw+JPEG.

" ProCam 8" (app logo looks like the front of a lens in B&W) does not zoom in any mode.

Camera+ (app logo looks like the front of a lens in colour) will zoom in all modes.

Hope this helps you matey.

Simon, I've just been checking my apps "ProCamera" (app logo looks like vertical stripes) will zoom in all modes except Raw+JPEG.

" ProCam 8" (app logo looks like the front of a lens in B&W) does not zoom in any mode.

Camera+ (app logo looks like the front of a lens in colour) will zoom in all modes.

Hope this helps you matey.

Ahhh, am in RAW & JPG which explains it!

I keep debating getting a apple pencil for my 10.5 pro.
are they any good what's peoples opinions.
Im on the 10.5 as not really sure i use it for anything worthy of upgrading to a newer pro version.

Im on the 10.5 as not really sure i use it for anything worthy of upgrading to a newer pro version.

Even though the Apple pencil is costly, I'm glad I got one for my ipad air. Great little thing but so helpful to use.

I use mine for every photo edit. On my iPad Air I might not be able to get pixel-perfect, but very close to it.

Peter, in my opinion they are well worth getting if you are doing PP work on your iPad or even for taking hand written notes and maybe doing some illustrations etc. I certainly couldn't do without mine.

Even though the Apple pencil is costly, I'm glad I got one for my ipad air. Great little thing but so helpful to use.
I use mine for every photo edit. On my iPad Air I might not be able to get pixel-perfect, but very close to it.
Peter, in my opinion they are well worth getting if you are doing PP work on your iPad or even for taking hand written notes and maybe doing some illustrations etc. I certainly couldn't do without mine.
thanks for your comments. The Mrs just ordered me 1 as early b day pressie for £81.36 on amazon :) will be here monday :)

thanks for your comments. The Mrs just ordered me 1 as early b day pressie for £81.36 on amazon :) will be here monday :)

That's a positive "RESULT" in my book Peter, congrat's and "Enjoy"

It’s out now.
Cheers, I accidentally update my “other” iPad because it had been on the Beta previously and although I had “downgraded” it seems to think it should still be on the Beta :(.

Curiouser and curiouser. I recently posted in the political thread that the new iPad I was setting up for a friend offered Germany (on its own) as Country after I chose English as Language. Now I’ve just set up my old iPad 2 as a ‘new’ iPad and choosing English gives a choice of Germany or U.K. , Germany being first. I’m pretty sure this didn’t used to happen.

I’m wondering, since it doesn’t offer USA, if there are more iPads set to English Language in Germany (fairly near) than U.K. :).

If you have an Apple Watch you will be able to use that to unlock your iPhone when wearing a mask.

It‘s available in the 14.5 beta released today and works extremely well.

Can anyone help?

The other day I updated my "Affinity Photo" software to the latest version "1.9.0" both on my iPad Pro & my Macbook Pro.

All went very well without problems. After the download/update there was an offer of what I call plugins/overlays/masks etc of which I downloaded some of them. All appeared to go well but the problem I have is where the hell have they downloaded to and how do I get them into the Affinity software.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

George.

That depends on how you downloaded them, George, whether it was in your browser or from inside Affinity Photo. IMO, the best way of doing it is from within AF itself as you can keep track of your free or purchased assets all in one place and also see if they're installed or not. If you did download them with your browser, open a Finder window and Search for ".afbrushes" as this is the file type you would have downloaded. If you can't find them, look in the program itself.

In AF, click (or tap) on the your Account icon (on both the iPad and the Mac, it's the little green man at the top right) and you should see a list on the right of everything you bought or got free. Against each item you'll see a Download icon or a green Check icon. I think you know what to do from here. :)

You might find this page useful for the future:

A guide to installing creative resources purchased from the Affinity Store

Edit
There is one other thing you might need to know. When I installed the free overlays packs, they didn't show up in the Assets Studio. I tried to 'Import Category' but couldn't find any .afassets file anywhere on my iPad or my iCloud Drive. So I used 'Add Category', which added one called 'Unnamed' and then all of my assets showed up and were usable. I just renamed 'Unnamed' to 'Garry' in case the others disappeared again. (Superstitious? Not me! :D)

Last edited:
That depends on how you downloaded them, George, whether it was in your browser or from inside Affinity Photo. IMO, the best way of doing it is from within AF itself as you can keep track of your free or purchased assets all in one place and also see if they're installed or not. If you did download them with your browser, open a Finder window and Search for ".afbrushes" as this is the file type you would have downloaded. If you can't find them, look in the program itself.

In AF, click (or tap) on the your Account icon (on both the iPad and the Mac, it's the little green man at the top right) and you should see a list on the right of everything you bought or got free. Against each item you'll see a Download icon or a green Check icon. I think you know what to do from here. :)

You might find this page useful for the future:

A guide to installing creative resources purchased from the Affinity Store

Edit
There is one other thing you might need to know. When I installed the free overlays packs, they didn't show up in the Assets Studio. I tried to 'Import Category' but couldn't find any .afassets file anywhere on my iPad or my iCloud Drive. So I used 'Add Category', which added one called 'Unnamed' and then all of my assets showed up and were usable. I just renamed 'Unnamed' to 'Garry' in case the others disappeared again. (Superstitious? Not me! :D)

Once again very many thanks for all your help Gary, I eventually found my way around it both on my iPad Pro and my MacBook Pro and everything seems to be working a treat. (y)

George.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the iphone 12’s? I currently have a iPhone 7 and I’m thinking of upgrading to the 12. the obvious choice for me would be the iPhone 12 mini as it’s a similar size to the 7. Anyone got one have an thoughts on them?

ive just been reading about the removal of the wall charger and just supplying a usb-c/lightening cable. It’s a bit ironic that their reason for removing the wall charger is cut e waste and help the environment yet they will be including a cable I will generally have no use for as I only have usb-c ports on my works laptop. I guess I have some wall chargers and cables but my current iPhone 7 shall have the battery replaced and donated to my dad to bring him into the smart phone so the last charger will go to him.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the iphone 12’s? I currently have a iPhone 7 and I’m thinking of upgrading to the 12. the obvious choice for me would be the iPhone 12 mini as it’s a similar size to the 7. Anyone got one have an thoughts on them?

ive just been reading about the removal of the wall charger and just supplying a usb-c/lightening cable. It’s a bit ironic that their reason for removing the wall charger is cut e waste and help the environment yet they will be including a cable I will generally have no use for as I only have usb-c ports on my works laptop. I guess I have some wall chargers and cables but my current iPhone 7 shall have the battery replaced and donated to my dad to bring him into the smart phone so the last charger will go to him.

I’ve got the 12Pro Max and think it’s a great phone.

Can’t comment on the 12 but went from 8-11 and loads better. Great screen. Faster and all round a great move. Jump to 12 will be even better.

Back