All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Well I’m pretty certain I’m going for 12.9 512gb cellular version :) that will be a nice upgrade from my 10.5 pro.

I've just been reading reports about the new iPad Pros and to say I'm "IMPRESSED" is an understatement. I've been waiting to upgrade my 12.9" 2017 model for some time, but I wasn't expecting anything as good as this.

As I said in my post a few days ago that the rumours that were flying about meant the new iPad could be a potential game changer would now appear to be coming true. I shall without a doubt be going for the new 12.9" Pro and almost certainly end up doing pretty much all of my computing on it.

I want NEED a new 12.9"

yum

Dave

Exactly the same here :clap:Ill wait and see what they announce software wise at WWDC though. Unless they allow Mac apps on the iPad Pro or something like that then the M1 is a bit pointless. If something like proper external display support is exclusive to these new models then I'll get one. I've never felt my 2018 11" Pro needed more power for anything I've ever wanted to do on it but desktop class apps and external monitor support would make me switch.

Anyone got a fitbit and finding it's draining the Fitbit battery flat in hours rather than days? Updated the software last week and it's knackered it. Also notice phone battery is also draining much faster as well.

Fitbit sent a replacement as it was still in warranty but it appears to be the same and it's draining far too quickly so it makes me think it's the app.

Replacement Fitbit behaving now after a second charge so god knows what was up with it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi, looking to replace my iPhone 8, any online sites that offer a decent Discount around?
as stickytape says eg music magpie are offering 150 for one 256 gb.

I found them pretty good also for buying used - decent battery lives in my experience and when I had a problem they sorted it in 48 hrs ( pre covid )

Just came accross this thread so I can imagine the issue of battery life has been hammered here - however.

I have been using cheap battery cases for a long time now - all pretty dire - think I have clocked up three returns to amazon.

Tired of hauling a brick around and being cheapstake, I gave up big screens and got a se2000 and an apple branded iphone7 smart case. Magic - lasts for 48 hours if I need it and no probs for nearly 2 years.

Still miss a big screen though but the camera is OK for the usual snaps and documenting stuff. Still gets far more use than my cameras.
richard

So what model have you decided to go for Peter ?
I will definitely be getting cellular as I have a sim for it, but I am still undecided between the 512gb and 1tb version the 16gb ram I think will swing it for me in all honesty to future proof somewhat.
Plus if I was to get the 512gb I obviously couldn’t just add more ram and if they update iOS enough towards macOS it could well open up some usage capabilities.
Which version are you leaning too ?

Last edited:
I will definitely be getting cellular as I have a sim for it, but I am still undecided between the 512gb and 1tb version the 16gb ram I think will swing it for me in all honesty to future proof somewhat.
Plus if I was to get the 512gb I obviously couldn’t just add more ram and if they update iOS enough towards macOS it could well open up some usage capabilities.
Which version are you leaning too ?

Peter, As I usually hang on to things for quite a long time (still using a 12.9" 2017 model) I shall be going for the 12.9" 2tb version. I'm hoping to be able to do even more of my computing on the latest model than I do on my existing unit. I've been looking foreard to the announcement of these latest models for quite some time.

Peter, As I usually hang on to things for quite a long time (still using a 12.9" 2017 model) I shall be going for the 12.9" 2tb version. I'm hoping to be able to do even more of my computing on the latest model than I do on my existing unit. I've been looking foreard to the announcement of these latest models for quite some time.
Makes sense I’m on a 2017 10.5 pro myself at the moment.
But being wanting to go to a 12.9 for a little while but never been enough difference for me to change till now.
In all honesty as you could probably tell by my previous reply the 512gb is realistically out of the picture but I can’t imagine me jumping to the 2tb version like you.
I have a couple of 2tb external drives anyway that I can put stuff across to if I need.

Just came accross this thread so I can imagine the issue of battery life has been hammered here - however.

I have been using cheap battery cases for a long time now - all pretty dire - think I have clocked up three returns to amazon.

Tired of hauling a brick around and being cheapstake, I gave up big screens and got a se2000 and an apple branded iphone7 smart case. Magic - lasts for 48 hours if I need it and no probs for nearly 2 years.

Still miss a big screen though but the camera is OK for the usual snaps and documenting stuff. Still gets far more use than my cameras.
richard

I don’t quite understand this. I had original SE and a 7+ and from memory the larger screen phone had a bigger battery and longer battery life, both in specifications and in practice.

Makes sense I’m on a 2017 10.5 pro myself at the moment.
But being wanting to go to a 12.9 for a little while but never been enough difference for me to change till now.
In all honesty as you could probably tell by my previous reply the 512gb is realistically out of the picture but I can’t imagine me jumping to the 2tb version like you.
I have a couple of 2tb external drives anyway that I can put stuff across to if I need.

You may know that I'm from the USA but spend about half my time (for business) in the UK so frequently travel between here and back home (usually about eight times a year) so I like to work while I'm travelling. But because of covid restrictions etc I've not been able to get back home since February 2020.

Because of the limited power of my present iPad the only thing it will drive is a an SD card I have to store things on those to work on why I'm travelling. The 2tb version would enable me to store everything I need for my work in progress and still have plenty of spare memory to use without taking extra storage with me. Plus looking possibly at another four years ahead before I need to change unit again I kinda figure that would be the correct way to go and should more or less future proof me for quite some time.

Although the 2tb version would certainly not be a cheap item by the time I've added the keyboard & pencil I feel in the long run it would be a more financially better investment.

You may know that I'm from the USA but spend about half my time (for business) in the UK so frequently travel between here and back home (usually about eight times a year) so I like to work while I'm travelling. But because of covid restrictions etc I've not been able to get back home since February 2020.

Because of the limited power of my present iPad the only thing it will drive is a an SD card I have to store things on those to work on why I'm travelling. The 2tb version would enable me to store everything I need for my work in progress and still have plenty of spare memory to use without taking extra storage with me. Plus looking possibly at another four years ahead before I need to change unit again I kinda figure that would be the correct way to go and should more or less future proof me for quite some time.

Although the 2tb version would certainly not be a cheap item by the time I've added the keyboard & pencil I feel in the long run it would be a more financially better investment.
That makes sense I didn’t realise you are in the states. Big price difference too then.
I think a 2tb version for you is about $2399 where as for us it works out as $2980
The 1tb version here works out about $2495

Last edited:
That makes sense I didn’t realise you are in the states. Big price difference too then.
I think a 2tb version for you is about $2399 where as for us it works out as $2980
The 1tb version here works out about $2495

I'm in the UK at the moment, the problem is not actually being able to get back home to the USA but with getting back here to the UK with restrictions changing all the time. So I'll probably end up purchasing the new iPad in the UK as at the moment I have no idea as to when I'll be able to get back home. I hadn't even looked at the prices that they'll be in the USA.

Last edited:
Anyone else had problems with IOS 14.4.2?
Looks like it’s crashed several apps on my iPhone XS.

Just wondered if there is anyone on here that uses the "Magic Keyboard" with an iPad? If so any chance of telling me if when typing with it and you should accidentally hit two keys with one finger at the same time does it print both of the keys you have hit?

Let me explain exactly what I mean, first of all I'm certainly no typist and not deadly accurate but when I type on my "MacBook Pro" and accidentally hit two keys with one finger it prints both of the keys I have hit ie "n&m" or "d&f" for example, but not when I'm using my "iPad Pro" as is, just the iPad without an additional keyboard.

The reason I ask is I want to order the very latest "iPad Pro" and I'm also considering getting the magic keyboard, but if the keyboard performs the way my "MacBook Pro" does I'll give it really serious thoughts as to if I want the keyboard or not and just stick to the "iPad Pro" as a stand alone unit.

If anyone is able to answer this for me it would be very much appreciated.

George.

Just wondered if there is anyone on here that uses the "Magic Keyboard" with an iPad? If so any chance of telling me if when typing with it and you should accidentally hit two keys with one finger at the same time does it print both of the keys you have hit?

Let me explain exactly what I mean, first of all I'm certainly no typist and not deadly accurate but when I type on my "MacBook Pro" and accidentally hit two keys with one finger it prints both of the keys I have hit ie "n&m" or "d&f" for example, but not when I'm using my "iPad Pro" as is, just the iPad without an additional keyboard.

The reason I ask is I want to order the very latest "iPad Pro" and I'm also considering getting the magic keyboard, but if the keyboard performs the way my "MacBook Pro" does I'll give it really serious thoughts as to if I want the keyboard or not and just stick to the "iPad Pro" as a stand alone unit.

If anyone is able to answer this for me it would be very much appreciated.

George.
Don't forget you can simply return it to Apple no questions asked if you don't like it.

Don't forget you can simply return it to Apple no questions asked if you don't like it.

Thank you I wasn't aware of that Paul, but it's something I'd rather not do if that could be avoided.

It's either that or a trip to the Apple Store to try one for yourself, although I'm not sure if they're open yet. :)

Yes they are kinda open, I believe you have to make a one to one appointment at the moment which I don't mind doing. I still have a little time yet though as you can't pre-order until this coming Friday, but I'll probably give it a time or two before I order just to let the new units settle down and see if there's any teething problems.

Yes they are kinda open, I believe you have to make a one to one appointment at the moment which I don't mind doing. I still have a little time yet though as you can't pre-order until this coming Friday, but I'll probably give it a time or two before I order just to let the new units settle down and see if there's any teething problems.

It sounds like an ‘impossible’ fault unless the keyboard is just printing both characters so quickly that you can’t perceive the gap which seems more likely.

Returning to Apple for refund within the relevant period is very painless. I did that with the iPhone 11 when they brought out the 12 and cut the price of the 11 — to my initial annoyance — but I just initiated a return, no reason required, they organised collection, and I re-ordered the 11 :).

It sounds like an ‘impossible’ fault unless the keyboard is just printing both characters so quickly that you can’t perceive the gap which seems more likely.

Richard, I'm not sure but you may have thought that I meant one character prints over the top of another character which is not what I meant. What I'm saying is that if I push two keys at the same time on my "MacBook Pro" more often by accident it prints both characters one after the other but not on my "iPad Pro", that will only print one character at a time regardless of how many keys I hit. I was just kinda hoping the "Magic Keyboard" performs the same as my "iPad Pro".

Apologies if I've misinterpreted what you meant.

Richard, I'm not sure but you may have thought that I meant one character prints over the top of another character which is not what I meant. What I'm saying is that if I push two keys at the same time on my "MacBook Pro" more often by accident it prints both characters one after the other but not on my "iPad Pro", that will only print one character at a time regardless of how many keys I hit. I was just kinda hoping the "Magic Keyboard" performs the same as my "iPad Pro".

Apologies if I've misinterpreted what you meant.
George, I understood perfectly — I expect that if one key printed on top of another they would ‘jam’ like a typewriter :D:D:D:D:D. I’m a clumsy “key artist’ these days and sometime get two letters from any keyboard (or repeats) accidentally, that’s why I suspect the keyboard is really typing sequentially, though it is wrong, possibly too sensitive to minor touches? If it were really reproducible, which I bet it isn’t because sporadically while typing normally, you could take in and demonstrate to ‘genius’. Don’t suppose you could try someone else’s? Or extended tryout in shop?

Well as far as I can ascertain sales go live 1pm tomorrow.
Release date 21st may.

Waiting to see the Sky Mobile prices as they seem to be by far the cheapest place to get a cellular iPad on a contract. My current iPad Pro is due for upgrade in August this year so the timing could be perfect with the new M1 iPads and whatever iPadOS15 brings. I'm waiting to see what WWDC brings in terms of software features and apps that may be reserved for the new Pros. You'd have to think Apple are going to allow native M1 MacOS apps to run on the new iPad Pros otherwise all the power of the new SoC is a bit wasted

One thing you might like to know is that Apple has said that "it’s possible that the Magic Keyboard may not precisely fit when closed, especially when screen protectors are applied.”

Thanks for that Garry, I had already read about that, but by all accounts they're supposed to be releasing a later version to accommodate the new iPad properly and that's the one I shall be going for.

You'd have to think Apple are going to allow native M1 MacOS apps to run on the new iPad Pros otherwise all the power of the new SoC is a bit wasted

That's what I'm kinda hoping for, if they do then the new iPad Pro will be one hell of a bit of kit.

That's what I'm kinda hoping for, if they do then the new iPad Pro will be one hell of a bit of kit.

It would be the device I've always wanted, a thin and light tablet running full desktop apps optimsed for a touch/pen interface. They need to add proper external display support and allow apps and the homescreen to scale to different resolutions and aspect ratios. Apple have backed themselves into a bit of a corner by requiring iOS apps to target fixed display resolutions and it'll take a bit of work to overcome that now.

I just love the thought of an 11" iPad Pro and keyboard that I can work out and about with and then get home and plug into a TB dock and have it display apps properly on an external monitor so I can work however I want. We're really close to that ideal now

As for the magic keyboard which I don’t plan to get as I don’t need one.
The actual problem is the magnets.
the new iPad is about 1 1/2 Mars bars heavier. (My maths lol) and they don’t think It will hold securely enough so have added more magnets and changed the magnet locations.

As for the magic keyboard which I don’t plan to get as I don’t need one.
The actual problem is the magnets.
the new iPad is about 1 1/2 Mars bars heavier. (My maths lol) and they don’t think It will hold securely enough so have added more magnets and changed the magnet locations.

I'd love the get the magic keyboard but I absolutely refuse to support Apple's insane pricing for it. You can buy an actual base level iPad for less than a plastic and rubber keyboard which is absolutely nuts. It should be at least £100 cheaper and even then it would be pricy. It makes Microsoft charging £100 for a Surface keyboard a few years ago look like charity

That's a "POSITIVE RESULT" in my book Peter, bet you can't wait to get your hands on it, "ENJOY".
I can’t :)
Really looking forward to it.
They actually rang me about my order 30 minutes ago to clarify due to what they called discrepancies lol.
The problem was my orders normally get delivered in my Mrs name ie pencil and iPhone etc.
I wanted it delivered in my name I did point out to them all the orders were always paid for by me.

have you ordered one yourself yet ?

Back