All things related to Apple phones & tablets

I see this in quite a few forums now, "I was so underwhelmed by the new iPhone or Android".
I'm not sure what people are expecting of Apple and Samsung these days, these devices are considered mature, most of the innovation has already happened, from now on it'll be camera improvements and other nominal changes.

I'm still on my iPhone X so I've ordered the iPhone 13 Pro and it arrives sometime today, it'll be a nice upgrade with a much better camera system so I'm happy. I'm content getting 3 years with a phone these days.

I see this in quite a few forums now, "I was so underwhelmed by the new iPhone or Android".
I'm not sure what people are expecting of Apple and Samsung these days, these devices are considered mature, most of the innovation has already happened, from now on it'll be camera improvements and other nominal changes.

I'm still on my iPhone X so I've ordered the iPhone 13 Pro and it arrives sometime today, it'll be a nice upgrade with a much better camera system so I'm happy. I'm content getting 3 years with a phone these days.
We've been spoilt with the rapid advancement of technology over the last 30 years or so. Now expectation is through the roof and people are disappointed because we haven't achieved flying cars and teleportation.

most of the innovation has already happened, from now on it'll be camera improvements and other nominal changes.

I don’t agree. As I mentioned before we will see huge changes in mobile phone form factor when folding screens become the norm, especially when coupled with non-mechanical hinges.
At the moment you would find it nigh on impossible to look at a phone, and know instantly if it was a Samsung, an Oppo, a Motorola etc. They all look the same. Freeing them from the standard rectangular box shape will be revolutionary.
Samsung’s latest efforts are interesting but intrinsically flawed.
There are some interesting times to come.

I don’t agree. As I mentioned before we will see huge changes in mobile phone form factor when folding screens become the norm, especially when coupled with non-mechanical hinges.
At the moment you would find it nigh on impossible to look at a phone, and know instantly if it was a Samsung, an Oppo, a Motorola etc. They all look the same. Freeing them from the standard rectangular box shape will be revolutionary.
Samsung’s latest efforts are interesting but intrinsically flawed.
There are some interesting times to come.
I don't agree. I don't think we'll see 'foldable' phones anytime soon, from Apple at least.

There are already foldable phones on sale.
I know there are, which is why I didn't say "I don't think we'll see foldable phones anytime soon, from any manufacturer".

I don't believe it's something Apple will do anytime soon, and given this is a thread focussing on any technology from Apple, I didn't think that would have to be made any clearer than what it was.

Having said that, this is all just my opinion and they could prove me completely wrong and release something soon. :)

I received my iPhone 13 Pro this afternoon, as I was upgrading from the iPhone X I think it's a worthwhile upgrade.

I much prefer the feel of the square edges, it feels so much more comfortable to hold, and it's obviously a lot snappier when using it.
I decided not to restore from backup, given I must have at least 150 apps on my old phone that I never use, so I'm going to simply install the apps as and when I realise I need them.

Is anybody having any video and sound issue playback on iPad.? I've noticed that instagram reels on safari will play sound but no video, anybody else experience this.? iPad Pro running 15

Yesterday much to my disapproval I was forced to attend a wedding (not as the photographer) and believe me I tried every trick in the book to get out of it. Apart from as a photographer this was only the second wedding I've attended, the first being my own which I couldn't manage to get out of either. I absolutely hate weddings.

Anyway now to the point, I was quite naturally interested to see what the photographer's were using and how they worked but I couldn't see anyone that looked remotely like a pro photographer. After having it pointed out to me that it was the guy's drifting about with cell phones I must admit I was a little apprehensive as to what the results would be like.

There were four of them all using "iPhone 12 pro max" units each mounted on a gimble with some other bits & bobs attached, and each of them was shooting both stills & video. I'm not quite sure how they did it but their work was being transmitted to a fifth guy in the back of their van who was mixing the vid's and editing the stills.

Later on they presented their work to the guests on a large screen and all I can say is it was absolutely outstanding. The video had been edited with some of the live sound from the wedding together with some music, and the stills were of excellent quality. They also showed some sample A3 prints and I must admit I was amazed at the quality.

I wonder if this could just be the way things will be in the future with regards to wedding photography. I for one have certainly nothing but praise for these guys.

Might have been Filmic Remote.

I have absolutely no idea what they were using Garry. As a guest I didn't want to appear (even though I was) more interested in the photographers than the wedding and with my wife also cramping my style I had no chance. All I can say is I was very impressed with their whole set up & way of working.

Last edited:
I picked up an iPad Mini 6 yesterday and I'm looking forward to seeing if the screen is good enough to use Snapseed, and other apps, for photo processing on the go. It's so much lighter than my old iPad Air, and fun to use, too. I'd be happy to answer any questions about it, if I can.

I've been using my iPhone 13 Pro since Friday, coming from the iPhone XS it's a great upgrade, very fast, the scrolling on the screen is so smooth thanks to the 120Hz, it's heavier than the XS due to a bigger battery but I'm okay with that, battery seems to last forever though.

Haven't really tested the camera on it yet.

I picked up an iPad Mini 6 yesterday and I'm looking forward to seeing if the screen is good enough to use Snapseed, and other apps, for photo processing on the go. It's so much lighter than my old iPad Air, and fun to use, too. I'd be happy to answer any questions about it, if I can.

That sounds like a positive "RESULT" Garry, congrat's and "Enjoy"

Has anyone else had the dilemma between Pro and normal iPhone. I have the normal 11 but on the 13 I am torn.

The Pro is 170 more and basically you are paying for the telephoto lens, pretty much everything else is the same or not that important (I dont care on surgical stainless steel v aluminium, or that there is a small increase in battery life etc...). Do those that did choose a Pro (on 11, 12 or 13) find the extra spend was worth it?

Has anyone else had the dilemma between Pro and normal iPhone. I have the normal 11 but on the 13 I am torn.

The Pro is 170 more and basically you are paying for the telephoto lens, pretty much everything else is the same or not that important (I dont care on surgical stainless steel v aluminium, or that there is a small increase in battery life etc...). Do those that did choose a Pro (on 11, 12 or 13) find the extra spend was worth it?
I may be wrong but don’t only Pro models get Pro Raw? I think there is a video difference too, which may not be important to you.

The Pro has a bigger battery
It also has ProMotion Display (120Hz refresh)
Camera has 3x optical zoom (none on the regular and 15 x digital compared to x5 on the normal)

The scrolling on my 13 Pro is a lot smoother compared to my wife's iPhone 12 (non-pro).
I know it's not a scientific test but side by side we can see it's smoother.

Can't say if it's worth the extra to you, I'm happy with mine, I will keep it for 3 years so doesn't work out much extra over that time.

The Pro has a bigger battery
It also has ProMotion Display (120Hz refresh)
Camera has 3x optical zoom (none on the regular and 15 x digital compared to x5 on the normal)

Its pretty much the zoom (telephoto) which is the main difference, the rest are all nice to haves or irrelevant for me, just not sure what to get.

Its pretty much the zoom (telephoto) which is the main difference, the rest are all nice to haves or irrelevant for me, just not sure what to get.
The battery improvement is quite significant apparently, 11:42 for the Pro and 10:33 for the regular.

If you can maybe go in to the store and see the screen on the Pro, like I said when we compare mine with my wife's regular iPhone 12 (which doesn't have this Pr Motion 120Hz refresh) the difference is really obvious.

Only you can decide which is best for you. :)

IOS 15 - How does this write a note on any app work?

IOS 15 - How does this write a note on any app work?
Not sure it’s on any app. I do know that when in, say, Safari, highlight text and you are offered “new quick note” which creates a quick note with a link to the highlighted text.

Its over in the sense that the note is on top of Safari so you can see to add further comments in the note while viewing Safari.

Not sure yet what, if anything, else it does :(

Not sure yet what, if anything, else it does :(

You can also use it as a drop target when dragging text, images, URLs, etc, from the app it's overlaying, rather than having to use Split View or Slideover. So you can pop it up over various apps like Safari, News, Zinio, Goodnotes, or even the Notes app, grabbing various bits you're researching, then open the Quick Note in the Notes app and rearrange/reformat it and when finished drag it into a different folder. Very useful for any kind of research.

Now, if only Apple would bring it up to the 20th century and let us change the font colours.

How do you do that?
I think it’s — get new quick note (swipe up from bottom rhs corner) and then drag stuff from the app onto the note. I just tried it dragging a photo from Safari.

This seems to be a decent summary of QuickNotes:

I think it’s — get new quick note (swipe up from bottom rhs corner) and then drag stuff from the app onto the note. I just tried it dragging a photo from Safari.
When I swipe up from bottom RHS the app just closes!

Try swiping up diagonally from bottom right towards the top left. And start with your finger on the bezel, not the screen.
Works in my iPad but not on my iPhone XS - is it an iPad only thing?

Ah, that'll be it then! :oops: :$
Ah, apologies, you did say iOS rather than iPadOS but … . The quick notes made on iPad still sync into Notes on the phone though.

iOS 15.0.1 is available. It includes bug fixes "including an issue where some users could not unlock iPhone 13 models with Apple Watch". You might want to install it if you're one of the few who managed to bag an iPhone 13 before stocks ran out. I think there are other bug fixes, since this update is also available for iPadOS.

iOS 15.0.1 is available. It includes bug fixes "including an issue where some users could not unlock iPhone 13 models with Apple Watch". You might want to install it if you're one of the few who managed to bag an iPhone 13 before stocks ran out. I think there are other bug fixes, since this update is also available for iPadOS.

Thanks for that Garry, all done and dusted.

Wallet, Apple Pay on iPad
I have an MBNA VISA card verified an working for Apple Pay on my iPhone. It’s the same one verified for App Store etc with Apple.

The same card is used for App Store etc on iPad, no problems.

BUT damned if I can verify it on the iPad for Apple Pay. It tells me to phone MBNA which I didn’t have to do when I added it to Apple Pay on the phone and of course it’s already verified on the phone so I don’t see how they could verify it on some unidentifiable iPad via my phone.

Has anybody got it verified on an iPad?

Just upgraded to a i.phone 12 from a i.phone 7 that had a battery on its last legs and a scratched camera lens .it was a toss up between upgrading the 7 or buying the 12 off my son ,so I know the history of the 12 and know it’s been well looked after .. the performance difference is amazing ,and once I get to grips with the camera set up it’s gonna be fun

Back