Allowed or not allowed ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Under Covid restrictions am I allowed to travel 6.6 miles 18 minutes

I live in a very dull and boring area , If I go for a local walk it's like walking in a minefield dodging the dog mess and spit all over the pavements
I subscribe a monthly fee to the RSPB my nearest site is as above , Rainham marsh site

Will it be OK or is it seen as a NO NO ? opinions please

Added a poll

If you take a car no. If you walk then yes; it's your daily exercise. (y)

Just don't go sitting down for too long - especially on park benches. ;)

What's the limit though? I'd like to go to the beach which is 10 miles away but haven't been while there's a lockdown. The walk round the block here is boring and is up a steepish hill at the end whichever way we go but it's our only option at the moment.

If you take a car no. If you walk then yes; it's your daily exercise. (y)

Just don't go sitting down for too long - especially on park benches. ;)

I can't see me walking 16 miles as it's about 2 miles around the site

my answer is no you should not travel to excercise the whole point when first introduced was to reduce the risk of car/pedestrian meets car so that there are less people in hospital

• exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person (in which case you should stay 2m apart). Exercise should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.

Last edited:
I can travel all over London , Essex , Kent and the south coast doing my key worker job coming into contact with lots of staff at the RDC and stores I deliver too , That's OK but a visit 6.6 miles away is a NO NO , Does make me question this policy

I can travel all over London , Essex , Kent and the south coast doing my key worker job coming into contact with lots of staff at the RDC and stores I deliver too , That's OK but a visit 6.6 miles away is a NO NO , Does make me question this policy

Your journeys as a key worker are essential, your trip to a bird sanctuary is not.

The answer to your question is, within the current restrictions, no.

Boris cycled 7 miles to the Olympic park for a bit of exercise.

We drive 15 miles each way to our bubble and stop for a bit of exercise on the way.

What is essential shopping?
If the only shops that are allowed to be open are selling essential goods.
A trip to one of those for whatever must be deemed essential shopping by default

Your call would be my answer.

Last edited:
Travelling to green spaces
You should exercise in green spaces locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area if necessary.

If you need to travel, you should walk or cycle where possible, and plan ahead to avoid busy times and routes on public transport. This will allow you to practise social distancing while you travel.

Avoid car sharing with anyone from outside your household or your support bubble. See the guidance on car sharing.

If you need to use public transport, you should follow the safer travel guidance.

Before travelling, you should check if facilities are open to visitors (for example, car parks and toilets). Do not park on verges or block gates. This restricts access for other vehicles.

Travelling to green spaces
You should exercise in green spaces locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area if necessary.

If you need to travel, you should walk or cycle where possible, and plan ahead to avoid busy times and routes on public transport. This will allow you to practise social distancing while you travel.

Avoid car sharing with anyone from outside your household or your support bubble. See the guidance on car sharing.

If you need to use public transport, you should follow the safer travel guidance.

Before travelling, you should check if facilities are open to visitors (for example, car parks and toilets). Do not park on verges or block gates. This restricts access for other vehicles.

I live on my own so travel in my car on my own as well , The Rainham site has limited time opening restricted to Thursday to Sunday , Cafe shop and visiter centre closed , Car park and toilets open
I do at ALL times use a face covering / mask at work and when out to the local shop , Also have hand sanitiser and as a minimum cross the road to avoid others

Looks like after your post I will be giving it a go as I need some outside time

Thanks for you update / Post

I live on my own so travel in my car on my own as well , The Rainham site has limited time opening restricted to Thursday to Sunday , Cafe shop and visiter centre closed , Car park and toilets open
I do at ALL times use a face covering / mask at work and when out to the local shop , Also have hand sanitiser and as a minimum cross the road to avoid others

Looks like after your post I will be giving it a go as I need some outside time

Thanks for you update / Post

Easy to be judgmental and say no, but for some a green space does entail a short car journey
I live a ten minute or so walk away from a large RSPB reserve so take it for granted
https://www.rspb.org.uk/globalassets/downloads/documents/reserves/fen-drayton-trail-guide.pdf
Angling is currently allowed on two or more of the lakes at my local reserve and people drive to them

Last edited:
Lucky you

Exactly, but it is easy to take for granted and forget how others are less fortunate.
Currently hard going over there because many parts are flooded, that's the problem being next to the Gt Ouse.
Things are improving or at least they were, but its raining hard again here today plus snow melt.
Hope you enjoy your stroll, pick a nice day for it.

There is no actual law about:
a) how far you can travel (or by what means) to either get to your chosen place of exercise nor how far you can actually exercise.
b) how many times you can go out

Several other things the police are issuing fines for are questionable at best.

This is in England, I keep forgetting in other parts of the UK the laws (and their enforcement are different)

Last edited:
In Wales it's pretty clear:

The Government's FAQs specifically point out that exercise should begin and end at home - meaning people should not drive to the location where they plan to exercise.

They state: "Exercise should be undertaken locally – from home or as close as possible to the home. In general this should not involve people driving to a location away from home for this purpose. "

From the police

" What constitutes a reasonable excuse to leave the place where you live "

Likely to be reasonable

" Driving to countryside and walking (where far more time is spent walking than driving "

I know I should not laugh but this was on the same Police web site

Regulations 2020 states no person may leave the place where they live without a reasonable excuse. This does not apply to homeless people , :thinking:

I would say it is OK for a single person to travel 8 miles to a place of exercise, not making any contact with anyone else. I would say 8 miles is local.

Public outdoor places include:

• parks, beaches, countryside accessible to the public, forests
  • public and botanical gardens (whether or not you pay to enter them)
  • the grounds of a heritage site
  • public playgrounds

Lucky you

I'm just as lucky here, straight through my local park 400 yards away up to local golf club then up and out on to Devils Dyke and The South Downs. A bike ride that I will be doing when the weather picks up. All in all about 5 miles.

I’m even luckier.
Out my front door, 100 yards down a private track and I’m in a few hundred acres of woodland with just wild boar and deer for company.
I can’t imagine how we would have coped had we still lived in the city with the nearest green space a good half a mile away and inhabited by the local drug lords.
Even worse for those in high rise apartments in big cities.

As for the Op, yes, I’d say so. I know for a fact people travel further than that come to other spots around here. One place I drive past for work each day has been packed with cars since March, it used to be empty every morning I drove last before all this kicked off.
People drive from Gloucester to here, which is about 18 miles and 40minutes one way

Are you allowed to? Probably - the actual regulations are ridiculously vague.

Should you? No. IMO.

You should NOT go to Rainham Marshes.

I haven't been there for nearly a year now and I am missing it so why should you have the pleasure :mad:

Seriously - go and enjoy it, if Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson can travel to Olympic Park for his cycle ride you can travel 6.6 miles to go somewhere which will benefit your mental health as well as your physical health.

Didn't BoJo cycle to Olympic Park? Read reports that he did and that he drove there to ride. BIG difference.

We've driven a couple of miles to a "green space" a couple of times. Usually very early morning pre sunrise so we're leaving just as everyone else is getting there. A quick run or after work dog walk is from the house only.

We spend most of our outdoor time on the Mendips - that's roughly up to 30 minutes drive and 15 miles average. I last went there new years eve, I think.

Is it actually open?
6.6miles puts you somewhere west of Barking, East of Tilbury or South of the A127. As you say Rainham is your nearest reserve im guessing you are more west than east. There are numerous open spaces to walk or photograph and lacking in landmines between you and Rainham several you would have to pass on route so as its not your nearest local space id have to say no. 18 minutes gets me to Great Baddow but I cant justify going that far because its my nearest location to access watersport.

Is it actually open?
6.6miles puts you somewhere west of Barking, East of Tilbury or South of the A127. As you say Rainham is your nearest reserve im guessing you are more west than east. There are numerous open spaces to walk or photograph and lacking in landmines between you and Rainham several you would have to pass on route so as its not your nearest local space id have to say no. 18 minutes gets me to Great Baddow but I cant justify going that far because its my nearest location to access watersport.

I live in Dagenham once described on secret millionaire as one of the most deprived boroughs in the UK
I support the RSPB with monthly payments , I do have lots of housing estates , Block of flats , Industrial areas , Scrap yards , Council depots , local , strangly none appeal for a relaxing walk and a looks at some wildlife , I supose I could walk around Narm with a nice Nikon on view waiting to be mugged

Ingrebourne Hill, Marshes behind Rainham station, Beam valley, Chase/Eastbourne end country park. Unfortunately exercise doesn't require a camera, dont get me wrong id not be walking around Goresbrook Park with a camera and have tried to justify traveling to paddle but I cant on the one hand enforce covid compliance at work then ignore it when at home and no im not a copper.

I have National Trust membership but am not going to try driving to Hatfield Forest or Audley End and have Annual waterways permit for the chelmer.

There is a public carpark next to the Thames down Coldharbour Lane (off Ferry Lane south of the A13) next to the Tilda factory.
There are concrete barges in the river next to the car park and there is a footpath that runs along the side of the river towards Purfleet.

Yes and in your keyworker role that is exactly that, necessary. But the reason you question it is because you're bored of the area you live in? Seriously, you already know it's not allowed whether you admit it or not.

The only way the virus transmits is by people coming into contact, you would think after a year of this people would understand that but it seems not so the government is in an impossible position. Hence the advice to stay at home and stay local for exercise. In your situation travelling a few miles for exercise, on your own and not meeting anyone whilst there would be fine but if the government said that was OK then there would be people interpreting that as it being OK to drive 100 miles to the Lake District for a BBQ.

I live in an area that is popular for days out and I still see groups of people, who are clearly not local and clearly not a "bubble" out for a walk around here. The case of the two women in Derbyshire suggests that you are allowed to travel to take exercise if you act responsibly

For work in enclosed space is okay because economy.
For leisure in open area is not okay because COVID.

Lockdown 20 will have chains and whips.

Yes and in your keyworker role that is exactly that, necessary. But the reason you question it is because you're bored of the area you live in? Seriously, you already know it's not allowed whether you admit it or not.

Have you bothered to read all the posts ??? does not look like it so you just jump in both feet forward , Why is the RSPB site open , Its in the middle of know where so all visiters need to travel ,
Oh look they have a massive car park , I wonder what that is for, Oh and it's open as well thursdays to Sundays

Legally, yes. In terms of the guidelines, debatable. Be sensible. If the car park is busy turn back around.

Have you bothered to read all the posts ??? does not look like it so you just jump in both feet forward , Why is the RSPB site open , Its in the middle of know where so all visiters need to travel ,
Oh look they have a massive car park , I wonder what that is for, Oh and it's open as well thursdays to Sundays

Yes I've read them but instead of getting your knickers in a twist why not try and make an actual point? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Legally, yes. In terms of the guidelines, debatable. Be sensible. If the car park is busy turn back around.

Which is exactly what we have been doing since this whole thing began. Relatively easy for us to find somewhere quiet.

Personally I think common sense should prevail.

My girlfriend lives 26 miles from me, she lives with her daughter and her boyfriend and they both recently tested negative for Covid-19.
Because of this and the fact that neither of us have been anywhere near another person means the risk (in theory) for both of us should be minimal.
She is staying with me for 2 weeks, I live alone and she is also my support bubble.
Yes we are breaking the law and yes we did the same last year but we've been very cafeful and very strict with things such as sanitizing supermarket trolley handles and our own hands before going in and we wash our hands as soon as we get home.
Last year we didn’t see each other for the first six weeks after lockdown.
I suffer from mental health issues and being on my own in isolation for a long period does not do me any good at all and I could possibly slip into a relapse.
Even after we released from lockdown last I didn’t do any photography because I didn’t like the idea of sitting in a hide for hours wearing a mask.

Me and my 2 dog walking friends have carried on walking together although we always keep at least 2 metres apart.
Last year a policeman even saw us and didn't say a word.
Those 2 women who got caught by the police and fined, it was ridiculous as both had kept well apart from each other.
So imho if you use your brain you should be fine but there is a chance you might get pulled over by the police if they see you.

The only way the virus transmits is by people coming into contact, you would think after a year of this people would understand that but it seems not so the government is in an impossible position. Hence the advice to stay at home and stay local for exercise. In your situation travelling a few miles for exercise, on your own and not meeting anyone whilst there would be fine but if the government said that was OK then there would be people interpreting that as it being OK to drive 100 miles to the Lake District for a BBQ.

I live in an area that is popular for days out and I still see groups of people, who are clearly not local and clearly not a "bubble" out for a walk around here. The case of the two women in Derbyshire suggests that you are allowed to travel to take exercise if you act responsibly

I think more the problem is the car journey. If you're in an accident and you're unfortunate enough to be admitted to hospital. Then you are putting more pressure on the NHS. I think the answer is legally yes, but morally, it's not the right thing to do.

The only way the virus transmits is by people coming into contact, you would think after a year of this people would understand that but it seems not so the government is in an impossible position. [/URL]

This is thing I have not understood in recent weeks, although new cases seem to be less each day I've never been able to wrap my head around the idea of thousands of new cases if people are staying away from each other.
I'm wondering if the cause is the lack of hygiene where people don't take precauctions like sanitizing supermarket trollys etc.

Back