An Independent Scotland?

you two guys are getting involved in cross wires - you probably agree with each other but disagree - so stop pi1ss1ng around, respect each other and be sensible

I'd choose to have Hugh by my side every day of the week.

Last edited:
You'll get peace again soon, I'm back to work on Monday.

Whoopie-do

Given that the YES campaign are busting a ball for votes any which way they can - and the NO campaign are doing nothing other than letting the YES people fall over themselves - 51% is a poor kind of independence.

If we do it (independence) then I'm at the front of the line to get things going.
Don't recall any whoopie do-ing everytime the no's were winning. :D

Tomorrows Sunday Times running a story that Yes is in the lead 51% to 49% in their latest poll.

Daily Mail says Milliband says "we'll put up border posts" if Scotland goes independent.

The Observer and others saying "Scots to be offered radical new deal to vote no"
That is interesting as by my understanding after the folk in Scotland, the Labour Party is the biggest looser in the event of a Yes vote. Typical labour though. They should focus on putting a proper case forward.

On a happy note, if that is what it takes to stop them ruining the UK again, I'm all in favour of a Yes vote :)

Only twice since about 1950 has the Scottish Labour vote decided a UK election, every other Labour government would have got there with or without us so don't get your hopes up.

It's just a wake-up call to remind the No party to acutely go out and vote.

And the 'yes' people.

Regardless of how people vote it's important everybody does vote.

I personally think it will be a 'yes' but whatever the result, we don't then want a load of people complaining who didn't bother to vote.

Last edited:
And the 'yes' people.

Regardless of how people vote it's important everybody does vote.

I personally think it will be a 'yes' but whatever the result, we don't then want a load of people complaining who didn't bother to vote.

I think that all no-show votes should be counted as a 'No Vote'.

I think that all no-show votes should be counted as a 'No Vote'.

As do many but you can't work like that.

That's why it's important for everybody to at least vote.

If 51% of 70% of the electorate want change then we go for it on the basis that just over 35% want it.

Last edited:
Why do you say misconceived Scottish parliament that hasn't worked as expected? I would disagree with that statement, unless by not working as expected you mean it didn't kill off any desire for independence.

It was misconceived because it was designed and intended to be the case that no single party would hold a majority over all the others. Now I don't know how they thought that could ever be ensured and it has proved not to work like that in practice.

That is interesting as by my understanding after the folk in Scotland, the Labour Party is the biggest looser in the event of a Yes vote. Typical labour though. They should focus on putting a proper case forward.

On a happy note, if that is what it takes to stop them ruining the UK again, I'm all in favour of a Yes vote :)

They cannot be serious about influencing things or Milliband would not have been sent . He is liable to get his picture taken trying to eat ice cream with his fingers or similar.

They cannot be serious about influencing things or Milliband would not have been sent

Well he certainly screwed it up.
Whatever he said that was interpreted as Boarder Posts back fired on him spectacularly.

For the avoidance of doubt, there wont be any boarder posts, it's unlikely there'll be anything other than a sign post, eventually.
Even if Scotland does not get into the EU, or we do the sensible thing and leave it, like with the Irish Republic, there's more than likely going to be a common travel zone.

There's a great of fun to had with the Peoples Republic of Scotland after they go their own way, and freedom of movement of the workforce to just South of the Boarder is part of it.

Interesting point today, WM talking about a raft of new powers to come to Scotland, to be announced later this week but what about the hundreds of thousands of people who've already voted? Surely if they were serious this should have been announced weeks ago.

If 51% of 70% of the electorate want change then we go for it on the basis that just over 35% want it.

Re no vote meaning a No vote.

We'd end up with the same farce that happened in 1979, anyone with two houses had their vote effectively nullified or doubled depending whether they were yes or no. Recently dead people would be counted as no votes.

That sort of result has plagued elections throughout the UK for a long time.

When the Scottish devolution referendum was held in 1979, 51.6% of those who voted supported it but that amount only equated to 32.9% of the electorate.

Interesting point today, WM talking about a raft of new powers to come to Scotland, to be announced later this week but what about the hundreds of thousands of people who've already voted? Surely if they were serious this should have been announced weeks ago.

True, but we'll be getting plenty from both sides over the next few days. You can't expect them to just close down.

That sort of result has plagued elections throughout the UK for a long time.

When the Scottish devolution referendum was held in 1979, 51.6% of those who voted supported it but that amount only equated to 32.9% of the electorate.

I understand that. I was just pointing out that we can't class none voters as no voters and if we vote yes with for example 35% of the electorate voting yes then we go for it.

Year :

2010/2011 - 4,691
2011/2012 - 5,832
2012/2013 - 6,600
2013/2014 - 8,082

Bottles of champagne consumed in Westminster, over a quarter of a million pounds in four years.

That's about half Jim Murphys expenses claims in the same period.

Year :

2010/2011 - 4,691
2011/2012 - 5,832
2012/2013 - 6,600
2013/2014 - 8,082

Bottles of champagne consumed in Westminster, over a quarter of a million pounds in four years.

That's about half Jim Murphys expenses claims in the same period.
What on Gods earth makes you think your parliament will be any different?

Well, it's smaller.
We're well known for our temperance.
Jim Murphy won't be in it (please god)

:)

Again I see the opposite but I don't get the same news you do, what is it makes you think yessers are just believing spin doctors? what the papers or tv say? or something else.

Sorry, was writing when tired, I still meant based on the ones I know, as well as comments on articles etc.

It likely does balance out, I can only go on those I know, as I don't trust papers to be unbiased. I just meant on my personal observations. There's other trends I've noticed among my friends, but those I know are coincidental.

Be glad when it's over, fed up of my news feed being clogged up with groups picking and choosing their arguments to suit their agenda.

A Letter to England

http://anotherscotland.wordpress.com/2014/09/07/a-letter-to-england/

The title sounds a bit pompous but it's actually a good read and really is aimed at folk South of the border. I don't know for sure if he's correct but there's a section about 3/4 of the way through where he talks of the national debt which (if he is correct) you guys need to take note of.

I'm not sure the rest of the UK are bothered if Scotland become independent, maybe if all the UK had a vote it would be a resounding Yes

What's going to happen to the Queen and Balmoral, etc., and all the assets of this nature that are presumably owned by the UK government

How about number plates for motor vehicles and the DVLA?

Last edited:
A Letter to England

The title sounds a bit pompous but it's actually a good read and really is aimed at folk South of the border. I don't know for sure if he's correct but there's a section about 3/4 of the way through where he talks of the national debt which (if he is correct) you guys need to take note of.

Tell you summat Hugh, your constant attempts to brain wash all and sundry with how much YOU want independance is becoming boring as hell, as are your asinine little digs at anybody who disagrees with you.

Here is a thought you and your ilk need to take heed of, we,the English, know full well it is all about Scotland and the people thereof, we don`t need inane drivel aimed at us. The people of Scotland are taking the vote,not us, but if you do vote yes, don`t start moaning about the step that you took.

Tell you summat Hugh, your constant attempts to brain wash all and sundry with how much YOU want independance is becoming boring as hell.

Stop reading them then, since you can only read what I post if you choose to, choose to stop.

/edit - or if that's too much like work for you, go to your control panel and add me to your Ignore list, that way you'll never even see anything I post again.

Last edited:
I do know more than a few bloody minded "northerners" who would tell Scotland to p1ss off

and lots of southerners who think it is a great idea as they feel that if it's a yes GB, ex Scotland, will never see another Labour Government

Speaking of brainwashing, what better reason could you have to vote yes than to annoy Piers Morgan? got this retweeted on my feed today. :)

View attachment 20167

I do know more than a few bloody minded "northerners" who would tell Scotland to p1ss off

and lots of southerners who think it is a great idea as they feel that if it's a yes GB, ex Scotland, will never see another Labour Government

They'd be wrong though about Labour, as has been pointed out a few times now Labour in England hardly ever has had to rely on the Scottish vote to win.

That's harsh on Hugh.

The yes campaign as a whole are the ones shouting the loudest because they're the ones wanting change.

Hugh is clearly campaigning through TP to a level that is questionable. Yes he's out to influence people but we're all free to digest and make our own choice.

Last edited:
I agree, agree, I am waiting for a resounding "Yes" ……. just to get it out of the way, not because it makes sense or makes no sense.

You guys will never leave it alone until you get a "Yes" so the sooner the better and bugger anything else ………..

Quite simply there are those in the UK who believe that the Labour party is a greater danger to the UK, ex Scotland, than Scotland leaving the Union ……….for some this is more important that what you decide to do

A Letter to England

Wow. How condescending can one person be?

I like the way he uses that classic break up line, "it's not you it's me" & then proceeds to tell us that a CU is actually just Scotland doing the rest of us favour & we'd all better stay friends because the rUK is in real trouble without the Scots to prop us up. :/

A Letter to England

No mention of the Queen in there.

All Alex needs to do is to say that he is getting rid of the Queen as far as Scotland is concerned and half the UK population would vote Yes

That's harsh on Hugh.

The yes campaign as a whole are the ones shouting the loudest because they're the ones wanting change.

Hugh is clearly campaigning through TP to a level that is questionable. Yes he's out to influence people but we're all free to digest and make our own choice.

It's one thread on TP which I didn't start, and I only began posting info here because main stream media were so blatantly biased, publishing outright lies and propaganda that I personally have little other chance to counter. The problem is always going to be that one man's truth is another man's propaganda, can't help that but there are folk reading this thread who do appreciate 'some' of the stuff I've posted.

No mention of the Queen in there.

All Alex needs to do is to say that he is getting rid of the Queen as far as Scotland is concerned and half the UK population would vote Yes

Unfortunately many Scots would vote no, my granny would spin in her grave if the possibility were even mentioned and there are still a lot of royal supporters here.

Back