Angela's 52, Week 26 night

Name
Angela
Edit My Images
Yes
Week 1 - Reflection

Taken with my Sonycybershot T20

DSC01963_edited-1.jpg

This is my first attempt at posting a picture so apologies if it doesn't work.

I only have a point and shoot at the moment so realise quality of pics will not be great, I would however dearly love some comments tips and critisims about composition so that I can learn and improve.

Last edited:
ok I have gone through the advice in the how to post images, but can still only get a little red cross. Please what am I doing wrong?

Ok managed it now *sigh*

Last edited:
Where are you uploading the picture to?

Hi Cranky, thanks for the quick reply, I am uploading to my gallery, but I was clicking on the medium image link in the three links instead of in the medium image link directly under the picture.

Seems to be working now.

Glad you sorted your images Angela :)

1) Reflection - its the sort of shot that makes me look 2,3,4, times to make sure I've got the angles right in my head :) Placement of the mirror and the reflection works for me and the selective colouring is a great a touch :) (I'm assuming its selective colouring :) as the bg looks B&W to me)

2) History - The spread and layout of the book and photos is good and does the job :) - all I would change is a bit of a contrast boost to make the image a bit punchier :D

And both meet the brief perfectly - looking forward to Learning and Surprise :)

Andrea, welcome to the 52'ers. A good start with those two, both good images. (y)

Thanks for your comments,

The background is a happy accident, :D I was trying out various shots and although this was a little dark there was something about it I liked. (not so keen on the watermarked mirror)

I agree about the contrast, on the history photo too. This was my first attempt ever with adobe so I am hoping that as I figure out what it all does I can make further improvements.

Thanks again wasn't sure when I posted them as I am so new to both photography and editing, but really pleased I went for it now. :)

Glad you are taking part Angela, - a good start to the year, looking forward to the next pictures.

I am find it quite hard to get an on topic picture for these things.. It's a good challenge though :)

Welcome aboard, I'm glad you've decided shoot the weeks you've missed, very impressive.

I think you've clearly got a good handle on composition, even if I think the reflection caught in your first image is a bit boring and the B&W conversion in 2 is lacking in a bit of contrast. However, I am sure that by the time you get hold of you DSLR you'll have the post processing sorted to perfection

You are showing that a good image comes from the photographer rather than the camera (y) looking forward to seeing your next couple of shots :)

Thanks,

I totally agree that the image in the reflection is boring and I will definitely take that on board for next time.

After Dark Stars advice I went back into Abdobe Photoshop (I have elements 5) and changed the contrast, It was sooo obvious that it made it better. I am really pleased about this one, as my grandfather was the author of the book.

I am now very encouraged to see what I can come up with for the next two themes.

Thanks everyone for your comments so far, they have been very helpful to a complete beginner. :D

I am really pleased about this one, as my grandfather was the author of the book.

I wondered if there was a family connection there :) That's great and something to be really proud of :D

Is the middle picture a family shot btw?

I think you've done well so far as you are using a compact camera. I've just bought a compact to carry around as something easy to use but I'm finding it frustrating as it really is just a point and shoot.

I like that you have used something really personal for your History shot. Looking forward to seeing your 52 progress.

I wondered if there was a family connection there :) That's great and something to be really proud of :D

Is the middle picture a family shot btw?

No the photos at the side of the book were actually photocopied from inside the book and then arranged.

Hi Angela

Just catching up on your catching up, so to speak! They both meet the brief very well and I think you've made a great start. It took me ages to get just the basics of photoshop and I can remember how frustrating it was trying to work things out - or keep pestering those what know for help. :D

I look forward to seeing your next photos and hope you're enjoying the '52'. :)

Jean

Week 3 learning

DSC01996_edited-3.jpg

This one is a picture taken from my year 6 class. It was not my orignial idea, however with the vibrant colours I feel it makes quite a striking pic.

I have tried to adjust the sharpness/contrast in Adobe as I notice the writing on the orange trays looked a little soft (hope that's the right term for it) but I'm not sure I was able to make too much difference to it.

I have learned:

1.that sometimes the simple shot is better that the elaborate idea.
2.I really really do want a better camera.

Good subject. I tried a similar thing for mine, tryingto go for nice saturated colours of the books, but I preferred my initial 'test' shot that I did, and the coulours didn't work so well for me. Following on from that I'd suggest perhaps more interest could have been made by shooting along the front of the drawers at an angle, maybe going for some kind of DoF effect with the labels.. :)

Last edited:
Good subject. I tried a similar thing for mine, tryingto go for nice saturated colours of the books, but I preferred my initial 'test' shot that I did, and the coulours didn't work so well for me. Following on from that I'd suggest perhaps more interest could have been made by shooting along the front of the drawers at an angle, maybe going for some kind of DoF effect with the labels.. :)

Good ideas jaffamuffin thanks. Not sure the sonycybershot is up to DoF, but will certainly try again with different angles, just for my own sense of learning.

I like the colours there but I'd also like to see a different angle. It seems a touch overexposed to me, but maybe that's just my monitor.

Very clever, and it works very well.

Thanks Matt and jgs001.

Matt as far a the overexposure goes you could very well be right, I have to be honest I did play a little with the contrast and sharpness, yet don't really understand what I am doing. I was trying to make the writing on the labels clearer. Could someone please explain overexposure to me so as I can avoid doing it again.

Thanks

Angela - this is a great idea and you've done a nice job. :clap:

Does your camera have manual controls for Aperture and Shutter speed, or Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority modes? If it does you can control the amount of light and the depth of field (front to back sharpness) with these controls.

I think what happened here is that the overall image is a little light and the paler writing is less contrasty, compared with the dark writing on the green trays. You could darken it a little in Photoshop with Levels (try Auto Levels first, if that doesn't do what you want move the little sliders on the histogram to adjust dark areas, mid tones or light areas - 3 sliders) or try the Brightness/Contrast commands. If you save your Photoshop 'experiments' with different file names from their originals you still have the original unadulterated one to go back to if necessary.

btw, I'm intrigued. Do Year 6s play poker? :LOL:

Jean

Ok I would love to know what you think of this one. I have been struggling with this idea all week, On previous advice I have tried to make the writing sharp.

IMG_0186_edited-1.jpg

Sorry Jean, I am sure that if the year sixes do play poker, it would only be for money!!:LOL:

Absolutely brilliant Angela!

No idea how you've done it but it made me really smile and laugh (out loud for real :))

Its ace!

Oh and your learning one is damn good too! :) Simple colourful and meets the brief

But Surprise!!! 10/10!!!

Absolutely brilliant Angela!

No idea how you've done it but it made me really smile and laugh (out loud for real :))

Its ace!

But Surprise!!! 10/10!!!

Thanks Dark Star, high praise indeed. It was sooo simple its ridiculous!:D

I created the word using publisher word art (originally on photopaper, but it gave a bad reflection so did it on plain) printed it off, got a close up and tried it at different angles.

Originally I thought it would be good to get it from the angle it disappears from (iyswim), but then realised by putting it upside down it looked like it was suspended in mid air.

Last edited:
It's worked very well Angela (y) I like the thinking in the idea too.

Just found your thread Angela and welcome to TP and the 52ers :wave:

I think you've been very brave taking on this challenge when you are starting from scratch and I know you'll get loads of support - and learns lots too - from this challenge. :clap:

Reflection - a good start but feels as though the reflection could be a little sharper, have you tried unsharp mask yet? I like the dark background too (y)

History - well executed and a bit of personal history too :clap:

Learning - I love the colours in this shot and agree with the other comments made and I applaud your willingness to take on board the comments made :clap:

Surprise - really like this and I can see the improvement in only 4 pictures, keep it up and I'm looking forward to following your development over the rest of the year :clap::clap:(y)

Forgot to add photography quickly becomes addictive, and expensive:eek:

Last edited:
I've been missing this thread for some reason. I like your idea's and interpretations. Well done

Jon

Like the learning shot. Nice interpretation. My son starts school soon made me quite emotional looking at those trays.

The surprise shot is very creative (y)

Sorry - this thread seems to have passed me by as well :bonk:

I like the learning shot and surprise is a good idea too. I'm also seeing an improvement over the four shots so far - looking forward to seeing what you come up with next! :clap:

I get the feeling you are growing out of your P&S fast - do you have a plan of action for getting a new camera?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. it is hard sometimes finding the threads and my apologies also if I miss anyones.

I am soooo new to all this and originally was getting fed up of photgraphing blurry dogs or missing them altogether. However after finding this site and deciding to take part in the 52 I have to say I am really enjoying myself.:woot:

I get the feeling you are growing out of your P&S fast - do you have a plan of action for getting a new camera?

I will be forty at the beginning of April and the idea is to have a DSLR for that. I have taken on board all the advice on here and been and held loads of different cameras and tried them out. I made the decision to get a Canon 40D, so now just have to wait.

Although I have borrowed a friends for a couple of days (y) and hubby did say that as the cybershot is playing up a little I may be lucky and get it early. I'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Ok I would love to know what you think of this one. I have been struggling with this idea all week, On previous advice I have tried to make the writing sharp.

IMG_0186_edited-1.jpg

Angela - this really does what it says on the tin. What a simple but excellent idea for the brief. Well done. :clap::clap:

I hope your birthday comes early (or at least the present does) because you're on a roll and a dslr would help you realise your creative ideas in the way you want.

It sound as though you're enjoying the '52' as much as I am. Looking forward to your Week 5. :)

Jean

Ok, I really left this one until the last minute and had several ideas mulling around however, this is what I went with.

Empty/Full

DSCF0019_edited-1.jpg

Things I learned this week
1. don't leave things until the last minute
2. natural light can work for or against you

Ok I knew what I wanted as soon as I saw the word special. I waited a few hours to see if any comments came in for my opposites picture but there were'nt any (guess somethings not quite right with it) and I can't wait any longer.

My week six picture Special is of my Lilly. She is an 8month old Blue Roan Cocker Spaniel and is my very special sweetheart.

She has the best nature and is happiest when snuggled up to a hooman.

I have to admit that this picture was taken last week when I borrowed a friends Canon 40D so you will probably notice a difference in clarity.

IMG_0082_-_Copy_edited-3.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know how I've been missing this thread....and by the lack of comments so has everyone else. I like your images, particularly "opposites". well done :clap::clap:

Hello you...now how have I missed all your stuff so far...:thinking:

You must have been keeping a low profile...:LOL:

I like to comment on all the 52s...guess that make me a slacker...:(

Where do I begain...:shrug:

Week 1. Reflections...Ok fitted the subject
Week 2. History...now that was much better, but needed a bit more contrast.
Week 3. Learning...yes I like that, you got a good eye for composition and the colours really work for this shot.
Week 4. Surprise...That was brilliant...:clap: so simple yet so effective..(y)
Week 5. Opposites... I like the high level of grain in this shot...the empty/full...in/out of focus, if you could add some saturation to give it a bit of body, it could still be a great photo.
Week6. That's one happy dog...were you on automatic? the focus point is a little lost here with no real sharp area to see...don't get me wrong I like the shot and no doubt she is Special.

Hello you...now how have I missed all your stuff so far...:thinking:

You must have been keeping a low profile...:LOL:

I like to comment on all the 52s...guess that make me a slacker...:(

Where do I begain...:shrug:

Week 1. Reflections...Ok fitted the subject
Week 2. History...now that was much better, but needed a bit more contrast.
Week 3. Learning...yes I like that, you got a good eye for composition and the colours really work for this shot.
Week 4. Surprise...That was brilliant...:clap: so simple yet so effective..(y)
Week 5. Opposites... I like the high level of grain in this shot...the empty/full...in/out of focus, if you could add some saturation to give it a bit of body, it could still be a great photo.
Week6. That's one happy dog...were you on automatic? the focus point is a little lost here with no real sharp area to see...don't get me wrong I like the shot and no doubt she is Special.

Thanks for your comments. I see where your coming from re 5 and 6 and yes it was done on auto. When looking again at Lilly's photo it is obvious. I think I get carried away sometimes with the composition and will definitely try and think about what I want to be the focus.

If you or anyone else can give some advice on picture 6 and what would have made a good focus point I would appreciated it.

Ok hereis week 5 opposites with more saturation.

DSCF0019_edited-11.jpg

Back