Angela's 52, Week 26 night

Nicely done Angela, it's good and sharp in the right places (for me), good use of DOF, and the colours are good and bright. It fits the theme nicely (y)

I knew others would have picked this theme when I set my shot up. I think it's a very good interpretation of wealth, well done(y).

It'll be interesting to see how many variations on the monopoly theme there are. :)

Mark:wave:

Nice one Angela - looks like a few of us hit on the same idea!

Yours has even more feeling of wealth than mine :): more hotels and more money - and I think you've caught more elements of the game (and more interest!) than me so well done :) I like it!

And the third Monopoly board in a row now :LOL: and another great image (y). How are you getting on with your new camera?

I think you've done well with the setup and the DoF is great. A very minor niggle though the image is just a little off of being square the right edge is higher than the left edge (as you can see from the red edge of the board to the bottom - the right is thicker than the left).

Still a great image and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how you progress as you get to grips with your new camera :)

Thanks all for your nice comments, especially DS as his Monopoly board I believe was the first.

I am really pleased with how it turned out and this pic was taken in Av mode with some setting adjustments (sorry dont know techy terms yet) so I even more amazed really.

thanks again

How are you getting on with your new camera? Ok thanks, its lovely!!

I think you've done well with the setup and the DoF is great. A very minor niggle though the image is just a little off of being square the right edge is higher than the left edge (as you can see from the red edge of the board to the bottom - the right is thicker than the left). I am soooo pleased you noticed this, it was something I had mentioned to hubby and would have straightened in photoshop had I known how.However I am now really pleased that I did at least notice something that would make a better picture. :)

Still a great image and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how you progress as you get to grips with your new camera :)Thanks Simon

And the third Monopoly board in a row now :LOL: and another great image (y). How are you getting on with your new camera?

I think you've done well with the setup and the DoF is great. A very minor niggle though the image is just a little off of being square the right edge is higher than the left edge (as you can see from the red edge of the board to the bottom - the right is thicker than the left).

Still a great image and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how you progress as you get to grips with your new camera :)

i agree with this, good shot over all just a bit wonky :)

Nicely done, good composition and use of depth of field. The colours look a bit pale on my monitor but as people said my car looked dark maybe that's the problem. Good shot. :clap:

Love this Angela. Great interpretation, good use of DoF, nice colour balance, and as you say at least you noticed it was a bit wonky. Don't worry, the skill will come and my pictures generally start off wonky and need straightening in ACDSee.

Well done :clap::clap:

So glad I didn't do the Monopoly...it was pretty close, the daughter had lent it out ages ago and never got it back...:razz:

I didn't find out till Saturday...but you've done a great job with this shot...and with a new camera even more so...:clap:

Good luck with the 40D...(y)

really nice start with your new camera. Hope you enjoy getting to grips with your new camera!!

Ok, I have changed what I wanted to do for Identity as on top of everything else I now have a chest infection and an ear infection :puke:

Identity

I was originally going to take three shots of myself, One in fancydress (as the easter bunny), one of myself in smart Mrs Drury clothes and one in weekend slouch clothes to show the different identities I have according to the role I play.

Instead I got looking at the bag that will go with my Easter bunny outfit and got to thinking... the Easter bunny is a fictional identity (sorry if that ruins anyones fantasies :D ) yet it is instantly recognisable whether it is on the face of a bag, or on a card, or if someone is dressed in a costume.

So this bag represents the identity of the Easter bunny, even if that identity doesn't actually exist. :thinking:

IMG_0353-1.jpg

Last edited:
Wisdom

Well owls are synonymous with wisdom, and as I have no wisom teeth hanging around the house, I decided to go with this stone carving that was left to me by my Nan.

My Nan and Grandad ran their own pet shop business (three shops) for years. They were hard working and sensible with money. They built themselves up from nothing. (Grandad from Totenham, Nan from Newcastle)

They took several holidays every year and enjoyed life to the full. This carving came from Cananda I believe and was typical of the rare indulgences my Nan would allow herself.

IMG_0359_-1.jpg

Hi Angela - welcome back :wave:

Sorry to hear you're not well - get better soon.

Identity: Sorry we didn't get to see the various identities of Mrs Drury - perhaps another week? Your Easter bunny bag is sweet and it's a nice sharp photo (enjoying new camera?). :clap:

My only suggestion would be to turn the bag slightly at an angle to the camera to create a more interesting pose. It would probably give you some shadows to show the 3-D nature of the needlework on the bag. :)

Wisdom: The wise owls is a lovely shot - and a lovely carving. Is it soapstone? It fits the theme perfectly and you've got just enough shadow, imho. The story behind it is great and I can just picture your grandparents enjoying themselves. :)

Jean

Well we are a sickly bunch at the moment (you with chest infection and ear infection, me with toothache and my GF's not well either) :LOL:

I really like the placement of the bag in your identity shot - nicely on a third (y). It's really evenly lit which is both good and bad. Good in the sense that it's not easy to do and you can see it all, but bad in a sense that it has resulted in quite a flat image.

Interestingly you have got uneven lighting on the Wisdom shot which does work really well and brings out the detail in the carving nicely. I think the over all image could have a bit more contrast - the background is a little grey. I'm guessing if you had shot this with about 1 stop of over exposure (I think the camera meter was fooled by the white background) you would have got a much cleaner background and made the owls stand out even more.

Hope you are feeling better next week.

Your Easter bunny bag is sweet and it's a nice sharp photo (enjoying new camera?). :clap:

My only suggestion would be to turn the bag slightly at an angle to the camera to create a more interesting pose. It would probably give you some shadows to show the 3-D nature of the needlework on the bag. :) Yep, I can see that now, seems obvious really :bonk:

Wisdom: The wise owls is a lovely shot - and a lovely carving. Is it soapstone? No it is a much harder stone than that, much heavierIt fits the theme perfectly and you've got just enough shadow, imho. The story behind it is great and I can just picture your grandparents enjoying themselves. :)They really were the best people I have ever known

Jean

Thanks for your comments Jean, yet again they are really useful.

Well we are a sickly bunch at the moment (you with chest infection and ear infection, me with toothache and my GF's not well either) :LOL: Hope you both feel better soon, I think my ilnesses (been almost constant since sept) are linked to my doing too much, but until my exams are over in June that won't change!!

I really like the placement of the bag in your identity shot - nicely on a third (y). It's really evenly lit which is both good and bad. Good in the sense that it's not easy to do and you can see it all, but bad in a sense that it has resulted in quite a flat image. Yep as with Jean's comments, I can see how I have given a 3D image and almost 2D look. It was taken in the conservatory with light from above and all sides, where as the owls were shot in the hall with light from one side!!

Interestingly you have got uneven lighting on the Wisdom shot which does work really well and brings out the detail in the carving nicely. I think the over all image could have a bit more contrast - the background is a little grey. I'm guessing if you had shot this with about 1 stop of over exposure (I think the camera meter was fooled by the white background) you would have got a much cleaner background and made the owls stand out even more. Yep again can see now that the white background is grey!! :bonk: for speed I am ashamed to say I shot this on auto setting, but will look into exposures. Getting crip backgrounds will be a good piece of homework I think!

Thanks, again very useful, it will certainly give me and Mr D some things to work on.

Hi I like you easter bunny shot, bit full on but well focused and framed....(y)

Just for fun I would have tried it in the grass just to get that bit of green working with the shot...:LOL:

The Wisdom fit the bill nicely...a tad more contrast a whiter background and it would be excellent...

You seem to be getting on well with the new camera...keep it up...:clap:

Hi I like you easter bunny shot, bit full on but well focused and framed....(y)

Just for fun I would have tried it in the grass just to get that bit of green working with the shot...:LOL: Ooh nice idea!

The Wisdom fit the bill nicely...a tad more contrast a whiter background and it would be excellent...

You seem to be getting on well with the new camera...keep it up...:clap:

Thanks Spartacus

Relationships

Ok, the minute I saw relationships I thought of my two and how they are together. I set about getting them in different poses, but they are little devils when I have a camera in my hand as they just want to lick the lens.

There are sooo many things wrong with this shot technically that I hardly know where to begin, however just as I was trying to get them in shot Harvey leant across (throwing his paw out of shot) and planted a big sloppy one on Lilly, who looks less than impressed. Sooo to cut a long story short that is what I wanted to show, my two precious dogs and their relationship. They totally adore one another.

IMG_0368-copy_edited-1.jpg

Hope yor feeling better :)

Love the bunny but agree some grass would have really added to the shot.

My grandad had an owl just like your when i was a kid, as said fits the bill but a white bg would really help.

LOL at the dog she doesnt look to happy at being licked - well caught :)

Glad to see your all caught up loving the relationship shot, not sure Lilly did though.

Mark

As another soppy dog lover, I know how hard it is to get them to do what you want in front of the camera - one of mine usually legs it! This is the sort of shot I always hope to get, and I can understand you feeling a bit frustrated about Harvey moving his paw out of shot, but tbh, I don't think it matters at all. You could crop the left side out a bit. :)

Lily looks resigned to getting a good licking!

Black dogs aren't the easiest to photograph, and I think you've exposed this just right - they look shiny and black. Lovely. :)

Jean

Week 12 Poverty

I am really pleased this week that I have at last been able to get out with my camera!!

As soon as we were given the poverty theme I knew exactly what I wanted to take a picture of. We have an area in town that has low cost living, it is often run down and the landlords do not keep the buildings in good order. A few years ago now, the end terrace was so dilapidated that it fell down!

They removed the rubble and made safe what was left, but that is all that has been done in years. Where the cellar was is now a grassed over big hole that has a metal fence running around the outside to stop anyone getting hurt.

There are some lovely families living in this area, and it is a shame that better accomodation is not provided for them. I do however think there is a certain beauty in the flaky paint and general shabbiness.

IMG_0559.jpg

Lessons learnt:

1. How to use the straighten tool. (chuffed with this one as I figured it out myself)

2. If you are going on a long walk, wear comfy shoes.

3. It is nice to have company on walks and makes you feel less like an intruder when you are taking pictures of peoples houses!!

Missed the last relationship from you....Fabulous image caught at the right moment, and another on the button shot for the theme of poverty. Well done:clap:

Certainly fits the theme, shame to see such grand buildings crumbling away.

Wow your photography has come on, and some. Sorry I missed your relationship shot...it is a fantastic shot a true moment in time held for ever...and I love it...:love:

and your Poverty is so on the mark for this week...

great to see you are mastering the 40D and Photoshop...

all excellent stuff young lady...:woot:

Fit the theme and well done adding the straighten tool to your tool bag.

That's four superb shots from you. Sorry I missed them. Identity works well, the owls are spot on. The dogs made me chuckle, but you've caught that priceless moment perfectly, and the run down buildings really do look empoverished. a big (y) for all four from me.

Well done you, keep up the improvement. It's great to see!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, the last few weeks have been a struggle, but I feel better for catching up with everything.
:)

Great timing on the Relationships shot :)

Poverty - erm..you don't say if anyone was in the property when it collapsed..I sure hope not....so many councils (!) let so many grand building go in to decline...quite sad...you've got a good photographic record here...

These houses are each owned by private landlords and there were indeed were several families living there as each floor was a flat.

If my recollection serves me right miraculously no one was hurt as it was during the day (adults working/children in school) but that is just my recollection, so it is a bit hazy! guess it will be a matter of public record...might look it up again.

Glad to see you are back Angela :D

And so am I now so I'm going to do a catch up :D

The Identity shot fits the theme, and is quite timely now and as you know by now, get it more 3D but it's so hard as I found out in my Identity shot when i got really flat background, but we live and learn, well you certainly do, getting on so well with your new camera. It's great to see (y)

Wisdom, good shot, nice depth of field and also lots of memories for you as I bet they passed on a lot of their wisdom to you :clap::clap:

Relationships - another corker. Captures their relationship perfectly and their coats positively gleam. :clap::clap:

Poverty - an even better shot and captures the decay and abandonment so well. :clap::clap:

It's amazing that no-one was hurt when the buidling collapsed - it must have been terrifying.

Totally agree about the comfy shoes. :LOL:

It's an excellent shot, Angela - well done. And well done for coming through a busy time with your photography and PS skills not only intact but greatly improved. :clap::clap:

Looking forward to Week 13 :)

Jean

Week 13 UP

Ok so this week the theme was very open and I was really stuck!! Then just when I wasn't thinking about anything in particular one of my boys shouted, "mum, Jake's up" and I knew what I was going to do!!

Jake is our tortoise and we always claim he is 50+ as Hubby Chris is 42 and he was given him when he was about 5. Yesterday however AJ (aunty Jean) said he must be nearer seventy as he was older than that when Chris got him.

Any way every year some time around Oct/Nov we dutifully put him in his winter home for a lovely sleep and every spring around March/April time he gets UP

So this is Jake UP
IMG_0614-copy-copy.jpg

1. focussed on Jake's eye and found that I liked the cropped shot much better than having his entire body in shot.

2. tortoises do not care for having their photos taken and will move away mid shot!!

3. sharpenng an image of a tortoise does not work and looks horrible!

love the idea, the focus doesn't look 100% to me but then it might be my crappy work monitor. The crops works really well imo :)

Back