Any runners on here?

Some inspiring stuff in here.

Can I join in? Just signed up for my first half-marathon today without really thinking about it, earlybird entry was closing though :D - around Melbourne on 24th July, so plenty of time to get the miles in, I hope.

Just started running again at the end of January after losing interest following recurring knee problems. So far so good, though I haven't done any decent distance yet. Best 5k since I started again is 22 minutes, and I shuffled through a 10k last month in 52 mins (just wanted to see if I could keep moving my legs for an hour without getting bored really).

Furthest I've ever run is only 13k, which took about 1:03 I think, and was also the final nail in my knee / will-power coffin.

Want to aim for 1:45 for the half, no idea how realistic that is though.

The clocks go back next week here in Oz, and it's no longer 25ºC every day, so I guess I'll soon find out how determined I really am.

Want to aim for 1:45 for the half, no idea how realistic that is though.

This is a pretty handy site for stuff like that - http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/rp

Based on running 5k in 22 mins that should be easily achievable. Based on 10k in 52, not so much :D It might be worth figuring out why the 10k was so out of line with the 5k time.

Also, I can't imagine running in 25 degrees........

This is a pretty handy site for stuff like that - http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/rp

Based on running 5k in 22 mins that should be easily achievable. Based on 10k in 52, not so much :D It might be worth figuring out why the 10k was so out of line with the 5k time.

Yea I used a calculator that told me similar. 10k was taking it super easy. First time doing anything over 5k in a few years, so didn't want to bugger my knee or anything again.

Also, I can't imagine running in 25 degrees........

I have gone soft since moving over here. Early morning run down the beach on a hot day (before it gets too warm, and the sun melts my northern skin) is perfect though.

So I ran the Brighton marathon yesterday :) If you read up on this on social media you'll see a lot of negatives - it's really expensive, the organisation is a bit ropey, the expo is like a very small branch of Sweatshop, there's a never ending bit around a power station that nobody likes etc etc etc. Here's what you won't see - the support you get is amazing. Running down the seafront with the sun beating down, mods revving their blinged up scooters and vintage minis drag racing on the other side while thousands of people shout out to encourage you is one of the best things I've done.

Actually the first 18 miles or so is one of the best runs I've had - everything went well and even the uphills weren't so bad. But of course I hadn't done enough training so the next 8 were pretty hard. Just over half way I looked at my watch and decided that sub 4 was well out so I just settled down to a comfortable run and came home in 4:17. Even so, the last bit was reasonably hard - I really need to put in some long distance training. At the end I felt like I'd broken my big toe but I suspect it's just swollen fascia and a couple of days' rest will sort it.

Terrific day out - apart from the power station bit :)

Well done that man - a full marathon is beyond me TBH - I just can't imagine keeping that up for >4 hours.

I've got just under 3 weeks until my half. Went for 10 1/2 miles yesterday afternoon and it's messed with my head a little, leaving me feeling a bit spaced out: that's how it used to be when I cycled hard too, so this isn't unusual. My knees got grumpy at the end, and I had to walk down the final hill to my house because it was too steep to run. Just need to get a couple of runs in this week, with probably a 5K tomorrow even and a 10K Thursday, followed by another 10+ miles next weekend.

So Brighton is one I think I'll avoid if it's that boring. I have the Bristol 10k in a few weeks. Managed a new PB at the weekend so preparation is looking good

Interesting and timely thread...

I used to run a lot back in the '90s (40-50 miles a week at one point) but had to stop when my achilles gave up 11 1/2 miles into the Stroud 1/2 marathon :(

I never really got back into it, sadly.

Fast-forward to Easter weekend and watching the World 1/2 Marathon in Cardiff.... Then having the kids over for dinner on the Sunday and them "bullying" me and my partner into doing the Cardiff 1/2 in October (over the same route, I believe, but hoping for better weather :) ).

We warned, drinking the best part of a bottle of Shiraz with a leg of lamb roast launch can be hazardous to your health... ;)

Anyway, we're now 2 weeks into a long schedule to try to get fit for October. I'll doubtless be dipping into here, and asking for advice/opinions as we progress.

A new pair of shoes is my next thing - my years-old Saucony Trigon Ride 5s are about shot to pieces and if I go much further in them I'm going to knacker myself...

Wish us luck!!!

Luck is something you'll have to generate yourself, I suspect, but I hope it works out well for you. It's taken me 2 years to 'convert' my mountain-biking body into a running body, but maybe you'll be a bit quicker at it. :)

So Brighton is one I think I'll avoid if it's that boring.

Oh it's really not. Most of the course is great. It's just that at about 20 miles you hit an industrial estate. You can see the road out of it flagged as 23 miles but somehow it is about a 35 mile uphill loop :) Also it's the only bit where there aren't spectators. Apparently Fatboy Slim was actually there but just shouting from the crowd rather than playing some tunes :)

Wish us luck!!!

"Luck is the last dying wish of those who wanna believe that winning can happen by accident, sweat on the other hand is for those who know its a choice so decide now because destiny waits for no man."

Just a quick post to recognise Bobbi Gibb's achievement of 50 years ago.

I went for some coaching the other day..... 2 years of running and the first time I'd actually asked somebody to show me how to run. It was very interesting and slightly scary. For example, I thought my technique was reasonably good especially downhill. Slow motion video says otherwise.....

height.jpg

That's PRE coaching BTW.

I went search for pictures of famous people running a few months back, and found Paula Radcliffe doing a wonderful heelstrike, Mo Farah likewise though not so pronounced. You're in good company Jonathan. ;)

I just ran my first 50min 10K (as measured by Endomondo) tonight, so I'm pretty chuffed.

I went search for pictures of famous people running a few months back, and found Paula Radcliffe doing a wonderful heelstrike, Mo Farah likewise though not so pronounced. You're in good company Jonathan. ;)

There's been a lot of analysis of Mo Farah's running style. He actually varies how he lands his foot depending on the distance and where he is in the race.

I envy all you guys that can run and stay super fit, good on you, wish I could do the same :rolleyes:

I envy all you guys that can run and stay super fit, good on you, wish I could do the same :rolleyes:

It's taken me 2 years to go from being able to run less than half a mile to being able to think of a half marathon - I suspecta lot of people could do more if they didn't mind a little pain along the way. :p

Unless u have a medical problem you can.

I am overweight, around 5ft 8 but 15 stone (was nearer 16). Always been active like walking lots on days out but couldn't run a third of a mile withougt being knackered. Started with a couch to 5k app and chuffed when I could do a mile, then when I could run for 20 mins no stopping. It was hard but within 4 months managed a half marathon although slowly. A few weeks after did a 5 miler in 54 mins beating my prev best

I am still overweight and slower than many but it is helping. Got a 10k in 10 days time, bit concerned as only done a couple of 2 milers in last 4 weeks due to work and holiday.

It often looked like I would never do what I have done but keep going and each week try to go a bit faster or a bit further.

Unless u have a medical problem you can.

I have a degenerative spinal condition diagnosed around 30 years ago, I'm ok to walk (up to a mile on a good day) but to run would be just too painful. Being in my mid 60's it's probably not a good idea to start running :eek:

I have a degenerative spinal condition diagnosed around 30 years ago, I'm ok to walk (up to a mile on a good day) but to run would be just too painful. Being in my mid 60's it's probably not a good idea to start running :eek:

On that basis I'd probably agree abut starting running. :(

Quick question (or piece of advice, really) from you more experienced runners - especially anyone who takes art in Parkrun:

Earlier this evening, we were running through a park on a path that's shared by runners/walkers and cyclists.

As the majority of the cyclists ride on the left, we were running on the right - facing the "oncoming traffic". One guy approached us (too fast, IMO) and shouted that we should be on the left.

My reasoning for staying on the right is that you can, at least, see the oncoming bikes, whereas if we're on the left and they're coming up from behind, you can't always hear them - some have (and use) bells, but not all.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. I'm happy to be told I'm wrong and the convention is to run on the left... Thanks in advance.

I've never done a parkrun, but highway code suggests that foot traffic should face into oncoming traffic, and I don't see why that wouldn't apply in this situation PROVIDED all foot traffic followed the same pattern. What were other runners doing?

Bit of both, but i think the majority were on the right, same as us. This is also the advice given on the Parkrun website, though I'm not sure if that only relates to Parkrun with groups of runners al heading out at the same time.

I suspect you were in the right place, but those other runners travelling in the same direction as the bikes are messing things up.

I have a friend who cycles in Windsor Great park, and has problems sometimes with runners who bunch and cover the full width of the track, refusing to make space - there have been collisions. As long as there's space one side or t'other all should be well.

Age is no barrier, though of course you have other issues that sound like they are unfortunately. My dad had never run anywhere until he retired in his late 50s. Ran his first marathon at 59 I think, and made it a trail marathon up in the Lakes for good measure. Then went off and did some road bike racing, definitely fitter at 60 than he was at 30.

Quick question (or piece of advice, really) from you more experienced runners - especially anyone who takes art in Parkrun:

Earlier this evening, we were running through a park on a path that's shared by runners/walkers and cyclists.

As the majority of the cyclists ride on the left, we were running on the right - facing the "oncoming traffic". One guy approached us (too fast, IMO) and shouted that we should be on the left.

My reasoning for staying on the right is that you can, at least, see the oncoming bikes, whereas if we're on the left and they're coming up from behind, you can't always hear them - some have (and use) bells, but not all.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. I'm happy to be told I'm wrong and the convention is to run on the left... Thanks in advance.

Parkrun is in a park usually, which means not on a road, so run on the left. Did the organisers not say anything beforehand? (ETA missed the bit about the website, seems odd to me). Here they tell everyone to run single file (good luck with that) on the left. It's also what everyone does in general when running over here. Run (or walk) on the left on footpaths, trails, shared cycleways, etc. faster runners and bikes overtake on the right just as if you're driving.

If you're running on a road with no pavement, then run on the right so you can see traffic coming, though it's probably going to be a one lane road if there's no pavement, so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
I used to run loads

Sprinting I was good at.

100m / 200m but that was it.

400m killed me

800m / 1500m / 1 Mile I was just crap.

Longer distance / cross country I enjoyed up to about 10k

Many years and many fags have gone under the bridge and I'm now 44 years of age.

Still weigh under 12 stone and have the body for it - just not the lungs.

I really fancy running again but I need to kerb my expectations.

I had pneumonia about 18-20 years ago and the lungs never really recovered, but performance can be regained somewhat over time. Be prepared for alot of coughing. :p

I used to run loads

Sprinting I was good at.

100m / 200m but that was it.

400m killed me

800m / 1500m / 1 Mile I was just crap.

Longer distance / cross country I enjoyed up to about 10k

Many years and many fags have gone under the bridge and I'm now 44 years of age.

Still weigh under 12 stone and have the body for it - just not the lungs.

I really fancy running again but I need to kerb my expectations.
Look at Steve Way. He was an overweight 20 a day man at 39 and decided to start running. A few years later he was representing England in the Commonwealth Games marathon.

You have to start somewhere.

Look at Steve Way. He was an overweight 20 a day man at 39 and decided to start running. A few years later he was representing England in the Commonwealth Games marathon.

I'm not sure if that's inspiring, or depressing [emoji3] bloke clearly inherited some ridiculous genes.

Imagine what he could've done if he'd got into training when he was younger.

That's how I like to think

I suffer from anxiety and depression.

I know how strong I am and I've got it in me.

I'm not sure if that's inspiring, or depressing [emoji3] bloke clearly inherited some ridiculous genes.

Imagine what he could've done if he'd got into training when he was younger.

Sprinting is basically genetic, distance is largely training. This is why distance favours older runners - you can train yourself to a (much) faster marathon time.

I don't really do much parkrun and I don't particularly run in parks but....I tend to run out of the way of other people. If they are on the left and the space is on the right then I'll run there. In crowded places everybody (walkers, runners, cyclists) should be in single file. Somebody travelling faster than you may get annoyed if they can't get through but unless you are blocking the whole route they really don't have any right to.

Just getting back into the swing after a knee injury left me on crutches in the autumn.
Found a pair of Brooks Cascadia in TKmaxx at the weekend for £30, which are a massive comfort step up for me, I'd not heard of them before, but the added cushioning for what are essentially trail shoes is a real godsend. Well worth seeking out if you're after a cheap pair of off roaders (im gonna go get myself a spare pair)
Nice to get some running done in the sunshine this week too, makes a refreshing change!

Back