Anyone else in FP4party?

Three today for day 2...

3) Defensive window

2003BPMXBW33.jpg

4) Archways

2003BPMXBW34.jpg

5) Kitchen doorway

2003BPMXBW36.jpg

All in Kenilworth Castle, same combination as above... oh, an orange filter as well...

Entry for tomorrow Sizewell B.

5WDI1m0.jpg

That's the most grain I've seen in FP4, Adrian, was that shot at a higher EI?

Two today for day 3...

6) Kenilworth Castle from the Tiltyard. Pentax MX, Vivitar 28/2.8 Komine, orange filter, Fuji Negastar courtesy of AG.

2003BPMXBW32.jpg

7) Photographer taking panos in front of Kenilworth Castle. I got chatting with him and he was happy for me to use him as a prop. Sadly I quite forgot to ask him if I could take a "stranger portrait" of him, particularly annoying as I could have got some advice on exposure and lighting for free! After chatting for a bit, we introduced ourselves; it turned out he is Peter Moore, a local photographer. Then we removed our gloves and shook hands, before suddenly realising what we'd done!

This was taken with my father's Zeiss Mess-Ikonta (uncoupled rangefinder) 524/16, Novar Anastigmat lens, no filter. Also processed by AG in Fuji Negastar.

2003CZIkBW06.jpg

EDIT, not quite sure what that shadow is, top left. The frame for the Ikonta doesn't seem to be completely square, with an intrusion there that I should have cropped out.

Last edited:
I have the same model of Zeiss Mess-Ikonta - it's a fantastic little camera, all the more impressive for the fact that I can fit it in my pocket.

Thanks Nige. Since I've decided to use it a bit more, I might start a thread seeking advice on how to make it a bit more usable.

Finally getting around to posting - just in time... Shot and developed in the correct weeks!

This is one of the only 2 usable shots from my roll :( Looks like the shutter in my Certo Six is running slow - rating FP4+ at 200 and developing for box speed (6:30 Ilfotec HC) seems to have sorted it now - but this was largely a very dense and over-exposed roll :( Not helped by a complete brain fart on my part - knowing that there is plenty of light in Nevada just at the moment, I rated the film at 80, not thinking through that that would give the film more light...

My wife sorting through her photos, in some quite beautiful light through a shuttered window. Either a bit soft or a bit OOF - this was at f2.8 to minimise the DoF and see how accurate the rangefinder is. Close enough is the answer - but only just!

20200312_FP4+_Party_Scan (9 of 12)-Edit
by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
... And the winners of this year's FP4Party are announced! An excellent choice for overall winner, I thought; a really original concept, well executed.

So is anyone up for FP4Party this year? Shoot Week starts Monday 5 April, 2021! Dev Week starts Monday 12 April, and Post Week starts Monday 19 April.

For those who've missed this in the past, it is a twitter "event" that occurs at various times about once a year or so. The main rule is that you shoot FP4+ film during Shoot Week. Then post the better results on twitter during Post Week, using the hashtag #FP4Party. It probably works best if you space them out and post a few per day, as there is a selection made of the better shots each day (according to a random panel), and eventually someone gets a prize. Not really the point, of course, he said hastily!

See pinned tweet at https://BANNED/FP4Party .

I think one year there was a farcebook element, but I didn't pay attention as I try to limit my toxic social media exposure!

Some TP folk have posted their shots in this thread, or sometimes in a FP4Party thread in Photos from Film!

So FP4Party shoot week starts today. They say:

"Shoot week starts Monday 5th April. Those of you new to the party. This is the week everyone takes their photos on Ilford FP4 film. What do we want to see from you? Tag #FP4party and show us, your cameras, your setups, locations or any other BTS views and we will RT them."

Last edited:
Should be. Bit of a hiccup. Loaded up the Rolleiflex SL35E yesterday and was just checking it out when noticed the 50mm Planar lens was behaving oddly. Focus scale way off. Took off camera and helicoid out of whack, needs a rebuild. So carry on with a Tamron 35-85 zoom or do a film transplant? If I want a good arm and wrist workout the EOS 3 with 8 AA battery pack is sitting next in line for an outing.

So if anyone else is in or thinking of shooting for FP4Party, today is the last day of Shoot Week. Any FP4 you shoot up until midnight tonight (local time, @Asha ) is eligible. From tomorrow it's Dev Week, then Post Week starts tomorrow week.

We'll be away for a few days next week, so I might well be seeing how Filmdev is doing with black and white again!

I finished up a part roll of FP4, now devved and scanned, and shot another that won't get devved before we're off. I also decided to take my late father's Ikonta 524/16 to Warwick market when I went to pick up my decaf coffee beans (Tanzanian, since you ask). There was a young lady sitting on top of a van taking photos of the market with a long lens camera, that I thought would make a good subject. Turns out I had completely forgotten how to work the camera. Couldn't get the rangefinder to work; turns out this was partly due to the rim of my trademark hat flopping over the rangefinder window, and partly lies in the word "uncoupled" (no amont of twiddling with the focus on the lens would shift the rf patch)! D'oh. Plus I forgot to cock the shutter, and then didn't press the shutter release hard enough... net result, first 3 frames will be completely blank. I did come back later, and the obliging young lady (from Brazil, it turns out, and her great grandfather and grandfather between them ran a photography shop for nearly 100 years) posed on the van for me again.

Later I loaded another film and went out nearby, got into 2 conversations with locals about my ancient camera (just slightly younger than me, I suspect), one of which resulted in a shot of the guy sitting on a bench. Still got 9 frames to shoot on that film.

So, off you go, folk!

I'm now out of 35mm FP4+ until my new bulk roll arrives. May be a little late to warm up a roll of 120 FP4+ from the fridge, might anyone notice if I used a roll of FP3 I just found in there ?

I have plenty of FP4 in the fridge ( about 300 sheets of the stuff in different formats) but this party isn’t for me ...... sorry @ChrisR , thanks for the invite though ;)

I have plenty of FP4 in the fridge ( about 300 sheets of the stuff in different formats) but this party isn’t for me ...... sorry @ChrisR , thanks for the invite though ;)
You could always join the party but spend all your time in the kitchen.

Got the remaining 9 shots on the second 6x6 roll today. For the last shot, I went out behind the castle, where I found a chap experimenting with his grandfather's Canon AL-1 with what looked like a nifty fifty on it (lots of green lettering). He said his mother had passed it to him, first time out, loaded with HP5. He asked where I got my stuff developed, so I told him about Filmdev. Then the light suddenly changed and there was my last shot all ready for me!

Mixed day so far. 1) Android 11 update to phone lost all my apps, passwords, and some data. Has taken most of day to recover what vanished. Boo! 2) fp4party negs dry and sleeved and new bulk roll arrived. Yay!
IMG_20210414_145957_resize_78.jpg

Last edited:
Sent my 3 rolls off to Filmdev on Monday, as I can't do any dev this week (reasons!). First class postage now £3.85, so they went second, so no email yet...

I wonder how their scanners will deal with the dodgy frame spacing on my MX. The last few rolls, spacing has been about 5 mm for the first few frames, and later in the roll there are a couple with zero spacing :( .

Emailed Peter Emanuel who fixed my ME for me; he said uneven frame spacing was unusual for a MX but he'd have a look and quote for it, if I send it to him. Have to empty it of film first! Looks like I'll finish a roll while out today, which means I'll reload another one (still on the FP4)!

I submitted a few on Day 1 - must learn to pace myself ...

btzqjwcc.bmp

Two left out as can't post more than 8 images in a single lot....

cozatf2z.bmp

Day 2

7udewiyg.bmp

Day 3

m6bec27v.bmp

Day 4

hpm451la.bmp

:thinking: Some times I wonder if this is what folks think of my photographs? 5 of #fp4party 2021.

11fjuw9j.bmp

Day 6
ufr0de7a.bmp

and finally Day 7

dl6xcktc.bmp

Here are a few of my FP4Party21 shots. The first few with Pentax MX, Pentax-M 28/3.5 lens, orange filter, shot at box, dev by FilmDev (XTOL)

a) House on the High Street

FP4party21 56 by Chris R, on Flickr

b) The Old Bakery Pub, High Street, closed by coronoavirus restrictions participating in a local "art window" project

FP4party21 57 by Chris R, on Flickr

c) Clearing in Crackley Woods

FP4party21 58 by Chris R, on Flickr

d) Pathway in Crackley Woods

FP4party21 60 by Chris R, on Flickr

The next few using my late father's Zeiss Ikonta 524/16 uncoupled rangefinder with its Novar Anastigmat 75/4.5 lens, no filter. This was the second film I put through it; really stumbled with the first trying to remember how to operate the camera!

e) Warwick half-timbered buildings

FP4party21 70 by Chris R, on Flickr

f) Stranger in Abbey Fields. He admired my old camera, proudly showed me his £2 Fujifilm bridge camera, too. Rolled a ciggy while we chatted, and agreed to be photographed!

FP4party21 63 by Chris R, on Flickr

Somewhere a virtual group of folk is toiling through thousands of images trying to work out which make the cut for each day. I put in 2 or 3 each day; it's generally better to save your better shots for later in the week when the numbers of entries drop off!

Somewhere a virtual group of folk is toiling through thousands of images trying to work out which make the cut for each day. I put in 2 or 3 each day; it's generally better to save your better shots for later in the week when the numbers of entries drop off!

Not sure it was thousands this year, saw this from Twitter "we are currently working through the……………………… 675!!!! Images posted during post week" . if I try again next year will keep the best till last - seems a good plan.

Not sure it was thousands this year, saw this from Twitter "we are currently working through the……………………… 675!!!! Images posted during post week" . if I try again next year will keep the best till last - seems a good plan.
It appears folk are getting wise to this idea, apparently day 7 was the second highest post day, with 130 images!

The shortlist is now up at https://emulsive.org/articles/film-parties/fp4party/the-best-of-fp4party-april-2021 . Neither @dmb nor I made the list sadly. There's a voting form at the end, and anyone (with a Google account) can vote, so I would recommend voting. Please!

It's a bit confusing. Some of the "entries" are multiple shots in a single tweet; sometimes the test will say "Nominated for image no 2" etc, but not always. Does that mean that all the images are nominated?

I thought there were some really excellent images on the shortlist, some I don't particularly like but can see why they're there, and some that, well, no idea why! But that's judging for you, I guess, and more power to them for making the effort.

Well somewhat like Eurovision I think the expert judging and shortlisting does not add anything useful and means I can't vote for some of the best pictures I saw.

Back