Anyone using SONY cameras?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Anyone who is using SONY cameras, and why did you choose it over the 2 most popular cameras, Nikon & Canon?

Anyone who is using SONY cameras, and why did you choose it over the 2 most popular cameras, Nikon & Canon?

In terms of full frame Sony are outselling others by a good bit so Nikon and Canon are no longer the most popular choice.

Sony currently have the best mirrorless full frame system.

I personally waited for a good bit before switching from Nikon. The z series was the final nail in the coffin for me.

:sony:

I use a Sony A68 and the reason was simply I wanted the best AF I could afford for the money I had on a APC body. Whilst the A68 was not as good in some other areas, it was streets ahead of sub £500 Nikons or Canons at the time in what I wanted it for. Also as A mount is considered by some to be a dead system I figured that there would be some great A mount lenses for sale at good prices. I was correct about that.

I wanted a pair of cameras to shoot anything and everything choir & orchestral performances, play rehearsals, fashion shows, sports, weddings.

I wanted more buffer than second tier professional cameras provided so I was looking at the 1DX II, D5 and A9.

Between those, the Sony A9 has a silent shutter and eye auto-focus, both of which are a huge boon for some of the work I do.

I could never have shot a concerto competition 2 feet behind the pianist (being judged) with a 1DXII or D5, i would never have been asked back.

Last edited:
My daughter said I shouldn't keep my Sony camera as we've already got a Sony TV. Logical really.

I think shed agree it makes more sense to add a Sony blu ray player to that telly and get rid of that camera.

I wanted a pair of cameras to shoot anything and everything choir & orchestral performances, play rehearsals, fashion shows, sports, weddings.

I wanted more buffer than second tier professional cameras provided so I was looking at the 1DX II, D5 and A9.

Between those, the Sony A9 has a silent shutter and eye auto-focus, both of which are a huge boon for some of the work I do.

I could never have shot a concerto competition 2 feet behind the pianist (being judged) with a 1DXII or D5, i would never have been asked back.
Spam post. Way out of topic!

I have owned and used Sony.

Sony A7
Sony A7 II
Sony A7R II x2
Sony A9
Sony A7 III
Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f4
Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 x2
Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 x2
Zeiss Batis 25mm f2.0
Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8
Sony 70-200mm f4 G
Sony 24mm f1.4 GM
Sony 85mm f1.4 GM
Sony 16-35mm f2.8 GM
Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GM x2
Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM x2
Sony 1.4x TC
Sony vertical battery grips
Sony SD cards
Sony LCD screen protectors
Sony Extended warranty packs
Sony N & Z batteries

:D

I have owned and used Sony.

Sony A7
Sony A7 II
Sony A7R II x2
Sony A9
Sony A7 III
Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f4
Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 x2
Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 x2
Zeiss Batis 25mm f2.0
Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8
Sony 70-200mm f4 G
Sony 24mm f1.4 GM
Sony 85mm f1.4 GM
Sony 16-35mm f2.8 GM
Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GM x2
Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM x2
Sony 1.4x TC
Sony SD cards
Sony N & Z batteries

And yet you nearly switched to Olympus earlier in the week :D

I use a Sony A6000, I learned everything I know about photography with this camera and I chose it because it was better than it's competitors. I am about to upgrade and again I will choose the best in the market at it's price point The Sony A7 III.

I have owned Sony.

Sony A7
Sony A7 II
Sony A7R II x2
Sony A9
Sony A7 III
Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f4
Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 x2
Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 x2
Zeiss Batis 25mm f2.0
Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8
Sony 70-200mm f4 G
Sony 24mm f1.4 GM
Sony 85mm f1.4 GM
Sony 16-35mm f2.8 GM
Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GM x2
Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM x2
Sony 1.4x TC
Sony SD cards
Sony N & Z batteries

I've corrected that for you! :LOL:

And yet you nearly switched to Olympus earlier in the week :D

I don’t think it would ever be a total switch, just prefer FF.
Having never used M4/3 before it’s something I still want to try out for a good few days (loan).

That's a bit harsh, Walkmans were great and their mp3 players were so much better than iPods, still got a couple

I miss the Walkman days :( life was so simple then ... of course, i went through about 10 of them before i found one where the cassette cover didn't fall off after a few months and the heads didn't want to consume my Maiden tapes!!

Don't base your camera decision on popularity, what is it that has you asking this question?

I bought into MFT because I didn't like the bulk and weight of my Canon DSLR and lenses. When the A7 came out I bought one to keep the advantages of mirrorless and gain a FF sensor. Back then the A7 and A7r were the only FF choices apart from the much more expensive Leica's but these days you have a choice of Sony, Canon or Nikon FF mirrorless.

I did resent paying hundreds of £ for my Sony kit as it seemed way overpriced when you can get a Sony DVD player for something like £40. If Sony sell DVD players for £40 I think they have a cheek charging so much for their cameras and lenses. They should be about £40 too. Charging so much more seems like a complete rip off to me.

PS.
I'm joking.

I miss the Walkman days :( life was so simple then ... of course, i went through about 10 of them before i found one where the cassette cover didn't fall off after a few months and the heads didn't want to consume my Maiden tapes!!

Many happy times rewinding yards of tape with a pen stuck in the cassette.
Sony models were definitely the best, splashed out on one with a graphic equaliser, four sliders on the front of it.

Many happy times rewinding yards of tape with a pen stuck in the cassette.
Sony models were definitely the best, splashed out on one with a graphic equaliser, four sliders on the front of it.

You have to save the battery somehow! I actually still had all mine (had two Sony, but moved to Aiwa!), but skipped them in a house move. That was a year or so before the hipsters made them worth something again...

Throwing all the cassette tapes away (and boxes and boxes of VHS) were sad times.

You have to save the battery somehow! I actually still had all mine (had two Sony, but moved to Aiwa!), but skipped them in a house move. That was a year or so before the hipsters made them worth something again...

Throwing all the cassette tapes away (and boxes and boxes of VHS) were sad times.

They made hand rewinders to save battery power, don't know anyone who had one though.
Sold mine on ebay for slightly less than I paid for it, apparently it was a fairly rare model.

Cleared out a cupboard the other week and came across an unopened TDK AD90, went the way of all the others

Initially, back in 2014, because I was shooting a lot of manual lenses & the magnification & peaking of the Sony was better than the split focus screen of the 5D2. Plus it was smaller & lighter :)

In 2008 I'd been watching the digital DSLR market for a few years, trying to decide what system to buy into. Film had been replaced with digital sensors and memory cards. The darkroom had been replaced by computers and digital printers. My shortlist had become Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony.

It was clear to me that the next things to be replaced by modern digital electronics would be the clockwork flipping mirror and shutter. That would remove two important sources of camera vibration during shooting, increase reliability, reduce manufacturing costs, remove the calibration problems of using separate dedicated AF sensors, and enable all sorts of useful new features. But the old clockwork technology had been well polished by decades of research and development and I guessed it would take at least a decade for the necessary new digital technology to become good enough to replace the old mechanical SLR technology.

In other words, the long term future would be mirrorless, and the important questions in choosing a system would be how the current camera system makers would handle the disruptive technology transition. I thought that one of Canon & Nikon might stumble badly at the mirrorless technology hurdle, and that Sony was the most likely to end up in the lead once the dust had settled. So I bought a Sony DSLR (the now very popular E-mount series hadn't yet been invented). My current Sony is an A77, one of Sony's SLT A-mount cameras which replaced their DSLRs with a hybrid of DSLR and mirrorless technologies.

Ten years later in 2018 nothing has happened to change my mind. I'm waiting to see what upgrade path Sony provides for its A-mount users. My guess is that it will either be the provision of a new technology improved adapter, without the SLT mirror, for E-mount to use A-mount lenses, or else, probably after an intermediate upgrade to an A77iii and possibly an A99iii, a new backwards compatible A+ mount, including the modern options of electronic aperture control and camera controlled power zoom, etc., and using the extra space of the now mirrorless A-mount bodies to incorporate new technology, such as more sensor movements on top of IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation) to allow such things as in-camera tilt-shift.

Last edited:
Back