Apple anouncement 27 October

I wasn't! The example was about Apple making the best use processors, not comparing Apples and Oranges - so to speak.

I rather think that was Neil's point - Apple don't get different performance out of conventional computer CPUs - a machine running windows or OSX will perform essentially the same for a given spec.

I rather think that was Neil's point - Apple don't get different performance out of conventional computer CPUs - a machine running windows or OSX will perform essentially the same for a given spec.

Apologies I thought their laptop and desktop chips were tweaked to their specification like their mobile chips. They make a big deal of it, I thought I'd heard similar of their other hardware but if you say not I must be mistaken.

A "pro" laptop would have a CF card slot........

Nah, a real pro needs CFast or shoots straight to SSD.

I heard they were dropping USB connectivity on the new MacBook Pro and Air machines.

If true, that's a poor move IMHO, though presumably there will be USB to lightning adaptors.

I haven't heard anything other than it'll be all USB C. I'd say there's zero chance of them dropping USB, as if they did, I doubt they'd sell more than about seven or eight computers.

the one port MacBook is a joke, light portable, just carry a zillion adapters.

USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 will be the new standard.

I have been looking forward to the 2016 MacBook Pro for a year or so now to replace my 2010 model.
Hopefully its a good step up. :)

I'm looking forward to the 12.9 iPad Pro screen being brought up to the 9.7s spec.

I've viewed the two side by side and the 9.7 is much better - colour rendition looks good. If the 12.9 is improved (and not much change in the price) then I'll be getting one ordered this side of Christmas.

Going to be disappointed I know, but an iMac upgrade would be good - have read they may launch one, but there seems to be delays til next year due to the screen. Well time will tell ...

So far the highlight is minecraft on the apple tv :p

Loving the Twitter vision on Apple TV live sports - really good to make it interactive. Election Night coverage could be entertaining ;)

TV App looks fascinating - just wonder how it works with UK TV Content

And Amazon Prime, without that it's rather pointless to me.
Agreed - ah well available from December in the US :(

Didn't realise that this week it is 25 years since their powerbook, hmm could be interesting. Gosh blast from the past, first trackpad, first active matrix design etc.

Loving the look of the Macbook Pro's. Hmm with them so much smaller, would it be a 13 or a 15 ;)

WOW How the touchbar works together with the touchpad in Photoshop is great. Adobe has already made it aware for the new Macbook's....

I think my nephew is drooling after seeing the audio editing :) A DJ's dream.

I've been sold...

so no SD slot anymore (at least still 3.5mm jack there) and 4 TB3 ports... will need a bag just for all converters needed

£2114.40 student price for the base 15".... I don't think so... I'll have a look around

That's a heavy premium for a gimmick you don't need if you learn keyboard shortcuts

My s***ty £300 lenovo from 2012 had a fingerprint reader.

Bagged a 13" with 16Gb of RAM. Slightly sweating with the price but sod it, I've been waiting patiently a whole year for this to come. Now very excited, 2-3 week lead-time. Squeeeeeeeee!!! :banana::woot:(y)

Jeez, it gets worse too, they are still selling the base spec of last year's retina model and that's £1249 whereas yesterday it was £999.

If you look at the US prices then this is down to the exchange rate. Thanks Brexit :facepalm:

Don't be obtuse, you know these are overpriced.

Not being obtuse at all. You said of the new Touch Bar that it's "a gimmick you don't need if you learn keyboard shortcuts", so I asked you which keyboard shortcut gives you Touch ID. You still haven't answered.

Thats still better than without student discount...need to find someone who studies and can buy it for me or its not so straightforward as it sounds?

It works exactly like that, teachers or students

Can't make up my mind between the 13 & 15.

Looks amazing... wish i could justify upgrading. The bar will take some getting used to but think (again with Apple) it will be something sort of gimmicky that will be on everything in 5 years time. Touch ID is a great move. Size is impressive. Dont get the ports though - they look like they accept USB and other inputs but how?

Apple TV is on the list for tomorrow!

Jeez, it gets worse too, they are still selling the base spec of last year's retina model and that's £1249 whereas yesterday it was £999.

If you look at the US prices then this is down to the exchange rate. Thanks Brexit :facepalm:

Yes, just seen the price of the iMac - which doesn't appear to have been upgraded has increased in price by about £400 :thinking:

Yes, just seen the price of the iMac - which doesn't appear to have been upgraded has increased in price by about £400 :thinking:

I was thinking of selling my 2015 Macbook and iMac and switching to the one machine but at those prices I think not...

I guess second hand prices will go up accordingly too.

I was awaiting to see if I could just plump for a Macbook Pro, but given the prices I still think I'd go for an iMac given its mostly used in the house and use my ipad when out and about.

Back