Apple anouncement 27 October

I really like Apple but have been a bit disappointed with some of the recent products. I bought a Macbook Pro last year so personally won't be stumping up to upgrade especially at the cost they are wanting with the touch bar.

The touch bar does look a really cool idea and from the videos showing it in use, I'm liking what I see of it. But having to need an adapter to use USB2/3 or even card reader to replace the SD slot at this moment in time just makes me back away. As gorgeous as the new design is, nothing is making me want tor really upgrade. Just my opinion of course. As I say, I really like Apple so this isn't just general bashing.

I guess at least they kept the headphone jack.

Maybe it's just me being stupid, but the one thing I can't fathom is why they don't include a lightning port. It's never even hinted at being desirable and yet I've got all manner of dongles for the iphone/ipad that would be useful with the MBP.

Maybe it's just me being stupid, but the one thing I can't fathom is why they don't include a lightning port. It's never even hinted at being desirable and yet I've got all manner of dongles for the iphone/ipad that would be useful with the MBP.

Maybe they're finally going to stop trying to be different for the sake of it, and their next phone will have USB C. Would make sense.

Maybe they're finally going to stop trying to be different for the sake of it, and their next phone will have USB C. Would make sense.

The problem with another change like this is for those of us who own an iPhone and an iPad, it means changing both or using separate cables. If they planned on USB C, they should have done it instead of lightening.

The problem with another change like this is for those of us who own an iPhone and an iPad, it means changing both or using separate cables. If they planned on USB C, they should have done it instead of lightening.
So for development I need to plug in the variety of devices all the time, I don't see it as an issue at all. I use a neat little hub so I can keep all cable connected. What is the big deal that you constantly need to plug in your iphone or ipad? I really don't get it. It is just a cable, I've got loads of the things accumulated over the years and all are still usable.

So for development I need to plug in the variety of devices all the time, I don't see it as an issue at all. I use a neat little hub so I can keep all cable connected. What is the big deal that you constantly need to plug in your iphone or ipad? I really don't get it. It is just a cable, I've got loads of the things accumulated over the years and all are still usable.

Agree. Folks getting their knickers in a twist over nothing. Most that might be needed really is a single USB to USB-C when out on the road (and a natty SD to USB). When back at base have everything else connected to a hub and plug in one wire. It's not exactly hard work...or even messy. I'm looking forward to seeing what Adobe do with the Touch Bar in Lightroom. I might even start using PS!

As for storage. If you use Lightroom, then why are you not using Smart Previews? 256Gb is more than enough.

I really did hope they had got hold of Kaby Lake processors early, that would have been a boon, but Sky Lake isn't exactly pedestrian...and they are the top end Sky Lakes.

Pretty much what my designer friend said.

The sceptic in me thinks they removed the sd because of the people adding more storage that way. Before that they removed the optical which was another way to add another drive. .

/Tinfoil hat off

Don't worry it was fairly amusing, that's all.

It is amusing - apologies. I wonder if they will change the leads the bundle with the iPhone. I'm guessing not, until they've transitioned all devices to the same single port. Then in 6 years they can change them all again!

The SD card slot I liked, not for using with removable SD cards as much as the TarDisk products if you've seen them. Not sure if they are available in the U.K., just gave an extra 256 gig and easily integrated into the OS.

I bet the companies making them are gutted.

Apart from if the device gets itself in a muddle and needs plugging into a computer I don't plug my iPad or iPhone in to anything other than a charger. My iPad is 2 years old now and has never been connected to a computer, I don't own a computer myself (haven't used one really in over 3 years) but my kids all have Mac's so if I needed to connect them I could. I'm betting I use an iPad more than most people, and it just doesn't need connecting to anything. Same for my iphones, never plug them into a computer.

I guess some people may need to but I'm not sure what for, I'm genuinely interested in why other than charging if out and about. If it's that useful a £20 lead is nothing, look at the amount people spend on their photography equipment. If the latest laptop will improve your workflow and save you time then this is an investment like other equipment you use in your work life. If it's something you just want rather than need then current/previous MacBook Pros are more than adequate, no need to spend more money on a luxury expense.

I don't need one, I want one, I probably will get one but after I have a new camera and some lenses, but it's definitely on the list. I should probably just get a secondhand one and save myself a chunk of money, but I've never been good at doing the right thing when it comes to spending money.

Yea that's the thing, there is the company I mentioned but not sure they sell in the U.K. There product is based around software called Pear that looks good. Ultimately it's easy enough to mount a drive and save to it. It made really good use of the SD card slot, shame they decided to drop it.

Apart from if the device gets itself in a muddle and needs plugging into a computer I don't plug my iPad or iPhone in to anything other than a charger. My iPad is 2 years old now and has never been connected to a computer, I don't own a computer myself (haven't used one really in over 3 years) but my kids all have Mac's so if I needed to connect them I could. I'm betting I use an iPad more than most people, and it just doesn't need connecting to anything. Same for my iphones, never plug them into a computer.

I guess some people may need to but I'm not sure what for, I'm genuinely interested in why other than charging if out and about. If it's that useful a £20 lead is nothing, look at the amount people spend on their photography equipment. If the latest laptop will improve your workflow and save you time then this is an investment like other equipment you use in your work life. If it's something you just want rather than need then current/previous MacBook Pros are more than adequate, no need to spend more money on a luxury expense.

I don't need one, I want one, I probably will get one but after I have a new camera and some lenses, but it's definitely on the list. I should probably just get a secondhand one and save myself a chunk of money, but I've never been good at doing the right thing when it comes to spending money.

Out of interest, how do you get content onto your iPad?

I plug mine into my MacBook and copy stuff to it.

Out of interest, how do you get content onto your iPad?

I plug mine into my MacBook and copy stuff to it.

Depends what I'm sending and where from, but if it's from one apple device to another it's either 'automatic' if it's same app stuff (obviously it's just backing up in the cloud), I have a Dropbox account that I keep a lot of stuff in, I can send files and stuff via Airdrop, or I just rely on the wifi. AirDrop is pretty fast, I've used it in the past with colleagues who used Mac laptops to send and receive large files. Dropbox is really useful too, provides a backup as well as making sure I can get to files on any device.

I'm obviously not pro and to get my images from my camera to my iPad I just connect via wifi, doesn't take long. Maybe if I was shooting weddings with 800 images I'd think a cable would be easier! Also backup hard drives from laptop would use cables, but that's not connecting an iPad of course.

None of this stuff is about being pedantic, I just genuinely don't see why there would be a need to use wires to connect an iPhone or iPad to a computer unless there is some specific reason or to charge it. It's always been fast enoug for me but maybe the files are smaller.

I use my iPad for music, photo editing, email, web browsing. I'm a trustee for a charity so I use apps like Pages, I use Numbers extensively, I manage a large mailing list on Mailchimp and events on EventBrite and make and distribute posters and leaflets from the iPad. I work with a small team of around 70 people who are our people on the ground with the charity, I communicate with them exclusively via the iPad. I also use it to play games (Football Manager can eat days of my life if I'm not careful), I watch Sky via the Sky Q app, the iPad also controls the lighting throughout my house and when I get the new system installed it will control the heating and all the individual radiators. I can print, control what's on TV and the music, and do all my banking on an iPad. Everyone knows most of this stuff, I do think a lot of people have an iPad and mostly just use it for a bit of reading or watching and don't get anywhere near the most from it.

I set myself a challenge 3 years ago to see if I could switch exclusively to an iPad and iPhone and not use a computer at all. I've managed for 3 years, in the early days some things were challenging but it got easier.

I only really want a laptop because I'm missing out on a lot of functionality in Lightroom and Photoshop, I have an Adobe CC account and the iPad apps although good and mostly adequate I just feel I could get more with a laptop. Really I could just get a used MacBook Pro for maybe £600 and it do all I need, but I love new toys and will likely spend a lot more on a new machine.

My 13 year old son has 2 iPads, one is for his music and videos and he takes it to school, thenother is an old iPad Mini that is in an indestructible case and locked to the Proloquo2Go app. He is severely autistic and non-verbal, we are slowly setting it up to contain a usable dictionary of everything he may want to say. Through this app he can ask for things he could not ask for before. Life changer. One day he may use it for all his communication rather than a gimmick now and then. Before the iPad and this £200 app the only devices that came close cost around 8k and were nowhere near as flexible or upgradable.

Apple is an expensive brand. I use it for the reliability and ease of use. My 3 kids all have disabilities, all have a Mac mini, they all have very different needs and do different things on them, all use them every single day. The newest is nearly 3 years old (it replaced one that just got too slow formmy eldest to enjoy - his was one of the first gen Mac Minis from around 2003), the oldest mini I think is 8 years now. Hand on heart I've never had any issues with any of them. The kids all have iPads, all use them for different things. I don't have to worry about what they are doing, if they want to download an app, music, anything, I get asked if I will let them andnif I will pay for it. You can do this stuff with Microsoft I'm sure, but I'm just not sure it would all be as stable and easy to use, I'm rubbish with computers when it comes to fixing stuff that's gone wrong, I just want them to work.

The new MacBook Pro is expensive, but it will hold a lot of its value as all Apple kit does. Go and try and sell a 3 year old Levano laptop vs a 3 year old MacBook Pro. I sold a 3 year old MacBook Air that I had got via the education disacount scheme, I paid £950, maybe a bit less. I sold it for £600, it was immaculate but that's not bad for 3 years use. People don't have to buy this stuff, they don't need to be brand loyal, we all have options. Personally I don't think there's anyone out there hat offers the same user experience for anywhere near the price Apple charges. I could pay more and I wouldn't get all of the stuff I listed above, especially when it comes to a communication device for my son.

Depends what I'm sending and where from, but if it's from one apple device to another it's either 'automatic' if it's same app stuff (obviously it's just backing up in the cloud), I have a Dropbox account that I keep a lot of stuff in, I can send files and stuff via Airdrop, or I just rely on the wifi. AirDrop is pretty fast, I've used it in the past with colleagues who used Mac laptops to send and receive large files. Dropbox is really useful too, provides a backup as well as making sure I can get to files on any device.

I'm obviously not pro and to get my images from my camera to my iPad I just connect via wifi, doesn't take long. Maybe if I was shooting weddings with 800 images I'd think a cable would be easier! Also backup hard drives from laptop would use cables, but that's not connecting an iPad of course.

None of this stuff is about being pedantic, I just genuinely don't see why there would be a need to use wires to connect an iPhone or iPad to a computer unless there is some specific reason or to charge it. It's always been fast enoug for me but maybe the files are smaller.

I use my iPad for music, photo editing, email, web browsing. I'm a trustee for a charity so I use apps like Pages, I use Numbers extensively, I manage a large mailing list on Mailchimp and events on EventBrite and make and distribute posters and leaflets from the iPad. I work with a small team of around 70 people who are our people on the ground with the charity, I communicate with them exclusively via the iPad. I also use it to play games (Football Manager can eat days of my life if I'm not careful), I watch Sky via the Sky Q app, the iPad also controls the lighting throughout my house and when I get the new system installed it will control the heating and all the individual radiators. I can print, control what's on TV and the music, and do all my banking on an iPad. Everyone knows most of this stuff, I do think a lot of people have an iPad and mostly just use it for a bit of reading or watching and don't get anywhere near the most from it.

I set myself a challenge 3 years ago to see if I could switch exclusively to an iPad and iPhone and not use a computer at all. I've managed for 3 years, in the early days some things were challenging but it got easier.

I only really want a laptop because I'm missing out on a lot of functionality in Lightroom and Photoshop, I have an Adobe CC account and the iPad apps although good and mostly adequate I just feel I could get more with a laptop. Really I could just get a used MacBook Pro for maybe £600 and it do all I need, but I love new toys and will likely spend a lot more on a new machine.

My 13 year old son has 2 iPads, one is for his music and videos and he takes it to school, thenother is an old iPad Mini that is in an indestructible case and locked to the Proloquo2Go app. He is severely autistic and non-verbal, we are slowly setting it up to contain a usable dictionary of everything he may want to say. Through this app he can ask for things he could not ask for before. Life changer. One day he may use it for all his communication rather than a gimmick now and then. Before the iPad and this £200 app the only devices that came close cost around 8k and were nowhere near as flexible or upgradable.

Apple is an expensive brand. I use it for the reliability and ease of use. My 3 kids all have disabilities, all have a Mac mini, they all have very different needs and do different things on them, all use them every single day. The newest is nearly 3 years old (it replaced one that just got too slow formmy eldest to enjoy - his was one of the first gen Mac Minis from around 2003), the oldest mini I think is 8 years now. Hand on heart I've never had any issues with any of them. The kids all have iPads, all use them for different things. I don't have to worry about what they are doing, if they want to download an app, music, anything, I get asked if I will let them andnif I will pay for it. You can do this stuff with Microsoft I'm sure, but I'm just not sure it would all be as stable and easy to use, I'm rubbish with computers when it comes to fixing stuff that's gone wrong, I just want them to work.

The new MacBook Pro is expensive, but it will hold a lot of its value as all Apple kit does. Go and try and sell a 3 year old Levano laptop vs a 3 year old MacBook Pro. I sold a 3 year old MacBook Air that I had got via the education disacount scheme, I paid £950, maybe a bit less. I sold it for £600, it was immaculate but that's not bad for 3 years use. People don't have to buy this stuff, they don't need to be brand loyal, we all have options. Personally I don't think there's anyone out there hat offers the same user experience for anywhere near the price Apple charges. I could pay more and I wouldn't get all of the stuff I listed above, especially when it comes to a communication device for my son.

Fair enough, sounds like charging is the only need you have for a cable then.

I guess we all have differing requirements.

I plug mine into the MacBook when charging downstairs, saves me using two wall outlets and seems to charge just as fast.

My primary reason for using a cable with the MacBook is to transfer music and video files. Apple has a very specific video format that is my will play so I just drag and drop from the MacBook using an app called Waltr as this coverts on the fly.

iTunes for music obviously so use a cable for that.

When I travel I don't want multiple cables and connectors etc, I just want one.

I plug mine into the MacBook when charging downstairs, saves me using two wall outlets and seems to charge just as fast.

My primary reason for using a cable with the MacBook is to transfer music and video files. Apple has a very specific video format that it will play so I just drag and drop from the MacBook using an app called Waltr as this coverts on the fly.

My primary reason for using a cable with the MacBook is to transfer music and video files. Apple has a very specific video format that is my will play so I just drag and drop from the MacBook using an app called Waltr as this coverts on the fly.

iTunes Match is an awesome way of going cable free when it comes to your music.

Ultimately when everything works wirelessly and fast enough it will all be a lot easier, in some ways I like that Apple and others make it more frustrating as it pushes the need for wireless along a bit quicker. Wireless charging for all will be along shortly too, it just needs to be universal, not 17 different systems!

iTunes Match is an awesome way of going cable free when it comes to your music.

I bet it won't let me copy non MP4 video files to my iPad though will it :)

I use Apple because I like the IOS and OSX but their constant control of everything gets on my nerves, shame there is not a half way house. I have used Android before and my other half uses it, it's unstable for the most part in my experience and don't get me started with Windows... My i7 work laptop with 16GB of RAM and SSD etc is still not as slick to use or as reliable as the MacBook.

To be honest, if things carry on as they are now I will end up going Samsung for my next phone and tablet purchases and using Linux on a laptop. No great loss to Apple as most won't do the same.

...I use Apple because I like the IOS and OSX but their constant control of everything gets on my nerves, shame there is not a half way house. I have used Android before and my other half uses it, it's unstable for the most part in my experience and don't get me started with Windows... My i7 work laptop with 16GB of RAM and SSD etc is still not as slick to use or as reliable as the MacBook....

I think you answer the question as to why Apple control their operating systems. Stability. The fact is the systems are the most stable, by not letting people fiddle with stuff and change things that could cause system issues they keep the integrity. It's annoying for some, it should just downright convenient for the rest. The only option is to jump systems really, Apple don't offer an alternative.

As you say you can get a great Windows PC, and they cost a whole chunk less. But they just are not as slick, you can tweak and change all you like but ultimately you lose something by gaining that freedom.

I think you answer the question as to why Apple control their operating systems. Stability. The fact is the systems are the most stable, by not letting people fiddle with stuff and change things that could cause system issues they keep the integrity. It's annoying for some, it should just downright convenient for the rest. The only option is to jump systems really, Apple don't offer an alternative.

As you say you can get a great Windows PC, and they cost a whole chunk less. But they just are not as slick, you can tweak and change all you like but ultimately you lose something by gaining that freedom.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of the apps going through proper testing and the OS being locked down etc but why not allow the iPad to play content that is not a specific format? I don't see how this makes the OS less stable, it's a control mechanism to stop people using anything other than their store content for films and tv shows etc.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of the apps going through proper testing and the OS being locked down etc but why not allow the iPad to play content that is not a specific format? I don't see how this makes the OS less stable, it's a control mechanism to stop people using anything other than their store content for films and tv shows etc.
There are plenty of apps that can do that. I recall on the original iPad me copying mkv and avi etc across wifi straight into the app.

Yea that's the thing, there is the company I mentioned but not sure they sell in the U.K. There product is based around software called Pear that looks good. Ultimately it's easy enough to mount a drive and save to it. It made really good use of the SD card slot, shame they decided to drop it.

I wondered where Mr Tavares went - I used to be a Pear Linux user, and it was nicer to use than OSX a lot of the time.

Strange, because my iPad contains lots of movies and TV shows that didn't come from iTunes.

Not being obtuse at all. You said of the new Touch Bar that it's "a gimmick you don't need if you learn keyboard shortcuts", so I asked you which keyboard shortcut gives you Touch ID. You still haven't answered.

An interesting idea, but is it an compromise/alternative for a touch screen? (never quite too sure about those either)

As for price, is this introductory/announcement price, and will come down a little after a while or do Apple hold their pricing high (reassuringly expensive/apple lovers will buy it anyway)?

Connectivity - be interesting to know if the majority are used as just macbooks or docked into the monitors as well. I suspect the former.

I'm pretty sure they have to buy it but you can set it up as yours, yes, teachers can buy for partners and children so they can't control who uses it after the sale, or resale
And one more question :)
When you buy products from them, they ask for your apple ID to send receipt etc. So if someone else buys it for me and register with their ID would not that be a problem? Or i just come home and ser it up with my ID?

When you buy products from them, they ask for your apple ID to send receipt etc. So if someone else buys it for me and register with their ID would not that be a problem? Or i just come home and ser it up with my ID?
That should be fine, the person who buys it can forward the email to you should you need to use the warranty. They have no control once it leaves the store, if I bought one, tried it and didn't like it, I could sell it the next week and they would never know.

As for price, is this introductory/announcement price, and will come down a little after a while or do Apple hold their pricing high (reassuringly expensive/apple lovers will buy it anyway)?

Connectivity - be interesting to know if the majority are used as just macbooks or docked into the monitors as well. I suspect the former.

It's not introductory, that's the price for that model until there is a new one or it is updated. Apple do 1 sale day a year and it's Black Friday, even then it's not very generous. Also, starting in July you get (for the last 2 years) free beats headphones when buying a Mac as a student

Developers might do well to consider that the touch bar has replaced the function keys and escape button.

Developers might do well to consider that the touch bar has replaced the function keys and escape button.
I like it how it relates to the context, or you can get the basics back by pressing the fn key ;) The context for the terminal looked good, I think this will get better and better.

Apple rarely changes prices due to exchange rate fluctuations and they tend to do so when launching new product updates. It's likely these prices will remain constant regardless of what the £ does against the $ for at least the next 12 months.

The email receipt is just that, a receipt sent by email. When you set up the machine, it will ask you to set up with an Apple ID. This can be any Apple ID (or none at all), not necessarily the same as the one used for purchase.

The only time Apple ever care about the ownership of a machine is if it becomes irretrievably locked via Find My Mac, which should never happen if you set it up with your own Apple ID.

It isn't just exchange rate, I mean that doesn't explain why they have increased the prices significantly as well in the US, Canada, and across the EURO zone. Everyone is complaining about it.

But Apple aren't the only ones, high end laptops seem much more expensive nowadays. Likewise with phones, look what google has done with the pixel. A great excuse for Apple to drive up prices next round. Competition seems to be working to drive prices up rather than down. The reason; because we are buying it and keep on buying it.

It isn't just exchange rate, I mean that doesn't explain why they have increased the prices significantly as well in the US, Canada, and across the EURO zone. Everyone is complaining about it.

Good point, but now the prices have gone up, they won't change much (if at all) until the next update.

Id be interested to see the build cost analysis. It seems that like many other things, smaller and thinner is more expensive.

My guess is that the price increases are also designed to help sell iPads, which for most "general" users can do everything they need.

Good point, but now the prices have gone up, they won't change much (if at all) until the next update.

Id be interested to see the build cost analysis. It seems that like many other things, smaller and thinner is more expensive.

My guess is that the price increases are also designed to help sell iPads, which for most "general" users can do everything they need.
I agree. I think the new design and keeping the quality does come at a cost. The Surface Book for example is also beautifully engineered compared to say the normal plastic laptops.

My wife has been mainly using an iPad now. I think of getting her an iPad Pro as that does everything that is required and is super fast.

It is also interesting when looking back in history, the MacBook Pro isn't that expensive. Yes it is a lot of money, not extraordinarily so. I was just hoping to pick up a good version below £2K but I can't even get an 13" for under £2K that is worth it.

Shame for me is that I don't have a Mac at the moment, I gave my MBA to my daughter. Silly boy me.

It is also interesting when looking back in history, the MacBook Pro isn't that expensive. Yes it is a lot of money, not extraordinarily so. I was just hoping to pick up a good version below £2K but I can't even get an 13" for under £2K that is worth it.

The original Powerbook that featured in the keynote cost from $2,500 which is around $4,400 adjusted for inflation etc.

The first portable Macintosh was the imaginatively named Macintosh Portable which had a lead-acid battery and cost $6,500 (approx $12,000 today).

I like it how it relates to the context, or you can get the basics back by pressing the fn key ;) The context for the terminal looked good, I think this will get better and better.
Not a touch typer then I guess

Back