Apple anouncement 27 October

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Looks like some new Apple computer products will be announced next week . Runour has it new MacBook Pro. Updated iMac with AMD graphics ( Possibly just the graphics upgrade ) .Maybe a 27" Monitor ( probably an LG) and even a MacPro (?) Also maybe some software updates. Who knows

I'm looking forward to a MacBook Pro retina with usb c in space grey, I've been waiting (and saving) all year for this

It will be some s***e we don't need, with an hour telling us why we needed it all along :)

I love my 2014 retine MBP, but there's serious talk of a new MBP not having an SD card slot. Fairly unimpressive for a "Pro" laptop.

I love my 2014 retine MBP, but there's serious talk of a new MBP not having an SD card slot. Fairly unimpressive for a "Pro" laptop.

An SD card reader costs you $10. I'm not sure I'd be bothered by the omission of one to be honest.... As long as there was sound reasoning for doing it, like including something else in it's place for example.

PS: I loved mine, until I dropped it and cracked it the retina.... 2,500AED to replace!

Last edited:
I've got to admit that a build in SD is way way way down on my list of wishes. But yes I hope there will be a new very fast MBP that is as thin and battery savvy as the MBA is, with the MBA even more portable :)

I'm not after huge innovation, a bump to current top end performance in a new and slim package is good enough for me. My Surface Pro 3 has been fun, but I'd like to get back to Apple on the desktop.

I am waiting for this day and hope to be able to get it within few days (had enough of editing photos on iphone as been waiting for the new release since summer)
I am looking forward to sleeker design, but not sure if touchscreen at the top of the keyboard would be any usedul, but then i have not used macbook pro before

I heard they were dropping USB connectivity on the new MacBook Pro and Air machines.

If true, that's a poor move IMHO, though presumably there will be USB to lightning adaptors.

SD card slot is great for a discreet way of expanding storage on the cheap. My 2015 MBP has one of those Transcend 128GB cards that is shaped for the slot, cheap and easy way of lots of extra room. Will be gutted if they drop it.

I do like the idea of the contextual panel on the MBP if that rumour turns out to be true, will be really useful if software developers take advantage of it (and I imagine the likes of Adobe would).

I'll probably upgrade either way, residuals on current models + a small work discount make it fairly painless to upgrade.

Looking forward to seeing what - if any the changes are to the iMac ...

SD card slot is great for a discreet way of expanding storage on the cheap. My 2015 MBP has one of those Transcend 128GB cards that is shaped for the slot, cheap and easy way of lots of extra room. Will be gutted if they drop it..

Had seen these and wondered if they worked well / were worth it - was it easy to set up ?

I use a tiny Samsung usb3 128GB for the additional storage to my 512SSD. Much faster than an sd card. But yes if there is no longer usb3 that would be a shame. We'll see

Current CPUs from Skylake vs the older Haswell (ie 6700 vs 4700) show that the "new" CPU for mobile is actually slower and after testing an MSI laptop with the same amount of RAM, same GPU and each of these i7's I can confirm that the "new" CPU is indeed slower and this probably explains why Apple never got around to replacing it, hence its longer than normal 20 month+ shelf life.

There is however a "new new" CPU coming based on 14 nm. Its Gen3 and code named Kabylake so hopefully this fixes those performance issues.

The CPU if on par with its Haswell counterparts will still be an upgrade due to DDR4 support as well as vastly improved graphics which will allow even the 13" PRO to perform in a professional environment such as with video or image manipulation at a level that renders it finally worthy of its name and price tag and not left in the shadows of its 15.6" brother.

I hope they include type C and leave everything else well and truly alone. We dont need a pro grade laptop/notebook to have to require a USB hub in order to function as a desktop replacement and we certainly dont want everything removing in favour of one USB C slot that's also used for power like the current macbook as that again renders it almost useless for heavier users and decreases its lifespan with its constant charging requirements after a days work if wired peripherals have been used.

Lets hope they don't ditch space grey in favour of fingerprint black (so it looks like cheaper plastic macbooks of yesteryear, remember those?) or the matt black as it'll look like a Dell, Lenovo or any other styling deprived office workhorse.

Had seen these and wondered if they worked well / were worth it - was it easy to set up ?

You literally just pop it in and use it as an external drive. I find it useful mainly because it's basically completely integrated, so I basically forget it's there.

Speed has been fine for me, can still edit straight off of it in LR no problem, even with Fuji RAWs which are slower than 42mp Sony RAWs in LR!

You literally just pop it in and use it as an external drive. I find it useful mainly because it's basically completely integrated, so I basically forget it's there.

Speed has been fine for me, can still edit straight off of it in LR no problem, even with Fuji RAWs which are slower than 42mp Sony RAWs in LR!

Excellent.

I'll see if daughter wants one - I think the ting that appeals is as you say it's integrated into the side, so no issues with catching it when she's moving / carrying her air.

Thanks [emoji108]

It will look nice and if they're brave enough, it will have no ports haha
The problem is that Moore's "Law", which doubled computer power per dollar roughly every two years, has hit the buffers of serious basic limits to the current technology. We just can't make stuff much smaller or much faster. A new technology is needed. It will probably arrive in a year or few. Meanwhile the high technology companies, who've developed a market which expects astonishing new products every two years, are having to make do with making and then changing fashions. Gold coloured iPhone anyone?

Still happy with my 2013 Macbook pro, see no reason to upgrade.

I reckon I will be good for another 2-3 years before I even contemplate it.

What would be nice is if they include WiDi in addition to Airplay. I guess I can but dream ;)

I haven't read anything else to reinforce the idea that the 6xxx is in anyway slower than a 4xxx cpu. Other benchmarks and real world reviews suggest otherwise. Perhaps there was a thermal or power throttling issue on that specific test.
The CPU jumps are rather inconsequential anyway unless your actively limited by some kind of processing dependency. GPU will have far more relevance as time progresses.

RAM upgrades are also boring these days with regards to performance improvements in laptops. It's mainly a power improvement whilst motherboards just add more features and marginal performance increases.(Which apple may choose not to implement). Hopefully they utilise a better discrete GPU and a similarly good SSD.

Last edited:
I haven't read anything else to reinforce the idea that the 6xxx is in anyway slower than a 4xxx cpu. Other benchmarks and real world reviews suggest otherwise. Perhaps there was a thermal or power throttling issue on that specific test.
The CPU jumps are rather inconsequential anyway unless your actively limited by some kind of processing dependency. GPU will have far more relevance as time progresses.

RAM upgrades are also boring these days with regards to performance improvements in laptops. It's mainly a power improvement whilst motherboards just add more features and marginal performance increases.(Which apple may choose not to implement). Hopefully they utilise a better discrete GPU and a similarly good SSD.

Ignore desktop which is quicker due to large MHz gap to start and slightly better clock for clock performance and look at mobile. Exclude the GPU side and they are actually slower. Once you narrow down that search trend you'll find this to be the case. I've just been fortunate enough to get my hands on the latest tech and see it side by side with my profession.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4700HQ

Above gives a very brief indication. Both score 8.2 however the 4 series single and multi core performance is higher where as the 6 series gpu performance is higher. In the real world this is negligible however what is the point in designing an new device to run a new CPU/RAM/chipset at a cost to apple when there are simply little to no gains over all especially in the higher end pro line of notebooks that run the i7 and dedicated GPU? Running these chips clock for clock also further widens the gap as the 4 series is 200mhz slower out of the box yet performs marginally better (circa 2-3%). The point of changing for apple wouldn't make sense when the product sells so well regardless of the name and to a degree the specification of product inside.

I work in tech too, hence the questioning.. ;-)

I've never been fond of CPU Boss, but hey it's a pointless debate. I could dig up x reviews stating the opposite. The crux of your statement is certainly correct. New CPUs = New features = new stuff to sell.
Processor's don't actually _need_ to be any faster for current workloads, especially as everything moves to cloud. Intel have the capability in the desktop space to roll out 20+core Xeons, as they have done in the server space within the same power and thermal constraints. rather they give us 5% every release and a few features. It'll appease 99.999 of people! Apple then remove those additional features, or rename them :)

Current CPUs from Skylake vs the older Haswell (ie 6700 vs 4700) show that the "new" CPU for mobile is actually slower and after testing an MSI laptop with the same amount of RAM, same GPU and each of these i7's I can confirm that the "new" CPU is indeed slower and this probably explains why Apple never got around to replacing it, hence its longer than normal 20 month+ shelf life.

There is however a "new new" CPU coming based on 14 nm. Its Gen3 and code named Kabylake so hopefully this fixes those performance issues.

The CPU if on par with its Haswell counterparts will still be an upgrade due to DDR4 support as well as vastly improved graphics which will allow even the 13" PRO to perform in a professional environment such as with video or image manipulation at a level that renders it finally worthy of its name and price tag and not left in the shadows of its 15.6" brother.

I hope they include type C and leave everything else well and truly alone. We dont need a pro grade laptop/notebook to have to require a USB hub in order to function as a desktop replacement and we certainly dont want everything removing in favour of one USB C slot that's also used for power like the current macbook as that again renders it almost useless for heavier users and decreases its lifespan with its constant charging requirements after a days work if wired peripherals have been used.

Lets hope they don't ditch space grey in favour of fingerprint black (so it looks like cheaper plastic macbooks of yesteryear, remember those?) or the matt black as it'll look like a Dell, Lenovo or any other styling deprived office workhorse.

They will use the Skylake processor. The wait has been long but personally I don't see the point in regular small updates, I'd rather they brought out replacements every couple of years with a significant change. I like eh idea of the touch panel strip along the top of the keyboard, apparently it will change depending on what you are doing. This would be very useful for LightRoom and other apps that use many different options, giving quick access to various tools and shortcuts. I'm not sure they could drop USB completely, too many people have a need for a USB connector just now. The SD card slot may well be useful, but it's more useful for extra storage than as a standard card reader in my opinion. As for the colour I really don't know, but they do like them to look premium, I think they are trying to differentiate the range more with the MacBook, the Air will only come in the larger size rather than the smaller version although I used to have one of the 11" Airs and found it perfect for general use. I have always put a skin on Apple laptops, so I would do again and not really care what the colour wasn't underneath.

I just wish they still came with floppy drives, I miss those days!

They will use the Skylake processor. The wait has been long but personally I don't see the point in regular small updates, I'd rather they brought out replacements every couple of years with a significant change. I like eh idea of the touch panel strip along the top of the keyboard, apparently it will change depending on what you are doing. This would be very useful for LightRoom and other apps that use many different options, giving quick access to various tools and shortcuts. I'm not sure they could drop USB completely, too many people have a need for a USB connector just now. The SD card slot may well be useful, but it's more useful for extra storage than as a standard card reader in my opinion. As for the colour I really don't know, but they do like them to look premium, I think they are trying to differentiate the range more with the MacBook, the Air will only come in the larger size rather than the smaller version although I used to have one of the 11" Airs and found it perfect for general use. I have always put a skin on Apple laptops, so I would do again and not really care what the colour wasn't underneath.

I just wish they still came with floppy drives, I miss those days!

I would like to think it will be the first major run of the new Kabylake platform of CPUs. These are faster in initial reports than skylake so this would make sense as to the reasoning behind apples delay and the current announcement dates. Here's hoping anyway atleast.

I would like to think it will be the first major run of the new Kabylake platform of CPUs. These are faster in initial reports than skylake so this would make sense as to the reasoning behind apples delay and the current announcement dates. Here's hoping anyway atleast.

Would be nice but Kuo from KGI Securities has said they would be using Skylake, Kuo is pretty much always right, he's widely acknowledged as the most acurate of all the analysts. So unfortunately if Kuo says something we may as well accept it as if Apple had announced it. Apple does make the best use of its processors, look at what they've managed to do with the chips inside the latest iPhones, they are benchmarking above any other device using similar chips, the chip is custom built for Apple to allow them to squeeze the most from it. Without it catching fire!

I sold my last laptop 3 years ago and have been using an iPad since, first an Air then I upgraded to the newer Air, I don't need a laptop for anything other than Lightroom and Photoshop, I wasn't using these apps previously so an iPad was fine for my needs, but I now realise I need to get one. I may get one of the newly released machines, or I may get something used and pick up a top spec bargain, albeit top spec from a couple of years back! It will be more than adequate still, as much as I'd like something brand new it will save me a chunk of money going used, and I can spend the difference on camera equipment.

Or I may not be able to resist and buy the newest machine in 3 days and 3 hours from now :D

hate to pee on your chips but the samsung issue was related to the charging and battery, not the processor.

(also lets not forget the stories of burning iphones a few years ago, or the older macbooks that had bulging batteries)

Last edited:
Apple does make the best use of its processors, look at what they've managed to do with the chips inside the latest iPhones, they are benchmarking above any other device using similar chips, the chip is custom built for Apple to allow them to squeeze the most from it.
you cant really compare the A10 which is essentially a tweaked ARMv8 chip (I always love that ARM started life in Acorn Computers) in a mobile device to an off the shelf OEM Intel CPU which they'll be using in their computers.

the mobile chip has blistering single core performance but lacks in multi core where Intel still have the better performance. on par Apple desktop and PC desktop on the same Intel chip and other specs will perform roughly the same.

you cant really compare the A10 which is essentially a tweaked ARMv8 chip (I always love that ARM started life in Acorn Computers) in a mobile device to an off the shelf OEM Intel CPU which they'll be using in their computers....

I wasn't! The example was about Apple making the best use processors, not comparing Apples and Oranges - so to speak.

Back