Apple anouncement 27 October

Not a touch typer then I guess
Oh yes, absolutely. What makes you say that?

Ten finger blind all day. My colleagues always laugh when I turn around and keep going.

This is getting from good to bad to worse...Yup that lovely 13" MacBook Pro with touchbar and 4 usb-c port, well did you realise that only two of the 4 are actually full speed ports. The two on the other side (right) are half the speed.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207256

Why Apple? Remember how you didnt' make usb3 ports blue since all of them are the same. Remember how you said you can plug it in and charge which ever port you like? Well not on this £2,399 (in the configuration I would like) laptop. Grrr

This is getting from good to bad to worse...Yup that lovely 13" MacBook Pro with touchbar and 4 usb-c port, well did you realise that only two of the 4 are actually full speed ports. The two on the other side (right) are half the speed.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207256

Why Apple? Remember how you didnt' make usb3 ports blue since all of them are the same. Remember how you said you can plug it in and charge which ever port you like? Well not on this £2,399 (in the configuration I would like) laptop. Grrr

I don't even understand the point of 13" for the extra few hundred, you can have a proper size scree with all ports the same. If only they had priced it about £1600sh, it would've been ordered Thursday night but so soon after the 5div, I'd be sleeping in the shed

I don't even understand the point of 13" for the extra few hundred, you can have a proper size scree with all ports the same. If only they had priced it about £1600sh, it would've been ordered Thursday night but so soon after the 5div, I'd be sleeping in the shed
I prefer a 13" for portability. The 15" is pointless to me when I'm in the office as I'll connect one or two much bigger screens, and on the road it is too big and heavy to me.

I prefer a 13" for portability. The 15" is pointless to me when I'm in the office as I'll connect one or two much bigger screens, and on the road it is too big and heavy to me.

Agreed - 15" is a compromise without the benefit of good portability or the benefit of a decent size screen (IMO 17" is even worse, but that's another story). The point of a laptop is portability and tolerable working for basic documents & data, and most machines these days can drive an external monitor, so a bigger screen is an encumbrance when travelling. Spoken as an owner of 13" and 15" business laptops: my 13" Macbook & 15" Dell XPS weigh the same, but the Macbook is much easier to carry.

So how come all the Americans and Canadians on the macrumours forums are also up in arms about the price increases. Sure there is some correction for pound vs dollar but we aren't the only ones experiencing those increases. There isn't a thread on macrumours where the price increase isn't mentioned.

Hmm, yes, I take your point. Dollar vs Yuan has favoured the dollar too so their costs shouldn't have increased that much or if anything, come down (assume China is where all the bits are made and then assembled), I wonder about the cost of rare earth elements?

Still, it's something we should be getting used to, things will be more expensive than they were as you can't ignore the effects of exchange rates. Not that this is ultimately a bad thing though, we are a world of limited resources after all.

Hmm, yes, I take your point. Dollar vs Yuan has favoured the dollar too so their costs shouldn't have increased that much or if anything, come down (assume China is where all the bits are made and then assembled), I wonder about the cost of rare earth elements?

Still, it's something we should be getting used to, things will be more expensive than they were as you can't ignore the effects of exchange rates. Not that this is ultimately a bad thing though, we are a world of limited resources after all.
I've actually done a comparison; take the entry level MacBook Pro. Take away tax (20%) and use today's exchange rate 1.22 and the UK model is actually cheaper than the US model. Go figure ;)

There is so much false Brexit scaremongering.

Another theory I've got is that manufacturing in China is becoming more expensive. But ultimate I think it is us, competition versus consumerism that is causing this.

And not just that, it looks like the entry model is well understated for battery life as well. Early reports indicate some very good battery life. I've also seen some benchmarks which would make the entry level i5 faster than my old MBA i7 which is interesting. And it also looks like these i5's have the hyper threading as well.

Still would like it with 16GB and 512SSD.

And not just that, it looks like the entry model is well understated for battery life as well. Early reports indicate some very good battery life. I've also seen some benchmarks which would make the entry level i5 faster than my old MBA i7 which is interesting. And it also looks like these i5's have the hyper threading as well.

Still would like it with 16GB and 512SSD.

I went with 16Gb but couldn't stretch to the 512SSD. Hoping I won't need that storage as I work off a NAS at home and will utilise smart previews when on the road.

I am going to miss these ports.

yozZVaJ.jpg

and still in almost mint condition, lived in a shell case all its live with a rubberised keyboard cover.

wlUfcB7.jpg

Last edited:
Well I've done it - placed my order. I'm going back to a Mac, goodbye Surface Pro....

However I couldn't get myself to order the new 15" Macbook Pro regardless of beautiful it is. I've ordered a 16GB/512SSD mid-2015 model for over a grand less.

Looks like us 2015 users have still got the best MBP's :)
I was thinking about it so much; but lets face it the i7 Quad Core may have become another hour more battery efficient, the screen is even better, and SSD is even faster, and personally I do like the touchbar. However I also like to keep £1,000 in my pocket :)

OK I admit it I'm big Mac fan . Having had 5 models over the years and loved then all. My late 2015 iMac is great, but I really can't justify upgrading my 4 year old rMBP. The latest models are pushing technology, but a 15" rMBP that costs more than my fully loaded iMac ?????. I've never had a problem with function keys being different for different apps, and if I do need custom keys , well there are keyboard overlays. I've got one for Final Cut , but don't tend to use it. I know what keys I need to use. If I forget, there is always the menu's.

Not to fussed about ports becoming USB3. but the price hike is different. OK Apple are pushing the envelope, which is great. OK we will moan about the price hike ( Some of which must be currency related. But in a year or so we may accept it as the norm.

OK we will moan about the price hike ( Some of which must be currency related. But in a year or so we may accept it as the norm.

It's funny, I was shocked and disappointed at the prices when I first saw them but within a day Macs just went back to what they used to be a few years back - expensive toys. My brain made that switch very quickly and I stopped caring.

There is no real reason for 'creatives' to use Macs anymore and in fact most of the serious power 'creatives' I know use Windows nowadays - to quote them "if you're doing 3D you need Windows".

This is an excellent review that really gets to the heart of what Apple are offering here and why...

http://arstechnica.co.uk/apple/2016/11/macbook-pro-2016-no-touch-bar-review/

An interesting article - he came from a MBA and the new £1450 MBP was a good just, just as it was intended, although it was also 50% more expensive.

He suggested that most of the upset is about long-time Mac users feeling like they've been ignored. Almost every protesting comment I've read has been from people who wanted a more capable machine, who did not want to have to use dongles to adapt their current hardware and who did not want to have to re-learn and alter their workflow. Sure there are some that feel they've been abandoned, with some justification, but the main issue is that their work platform is no longer current and in time they will have to find an alternative.

An interesting article - he came from a MBA and the new £1450 MBP was a good just, just as it was intended, although it was also 50% more expensive.

He suggested that most of the upset is about long-time Mac users feeling like they've been ignored. Almost every protesting comment I've read has been from people who wanted a more capable machine, who did not want to have to use dongles to adapt their current hardware and who did not want to have to re-learn and alter their workflow. Sure there are some that feel they've been abandoned, with some justification, but the main issue is that their work platform is no longer current and in time they will have to find an alternative.

I'm not in their boat but have some sympathy.

A pro machine is not about being a cutting edge vision of the future, it's about being powerful, reliable workhorse that works with the world around it. The new MBP is not this.

A pro machine is not about being a cutting edge vision of the future, it's about being powerful, reliable workhorse that works with the world around it. The new MBP is not this.

I'll let you know when mine arrives ;):D

Agreed, though perhaps we need to give the new MBP a chance ... (though I'm likely to be sticking with a laptop)

Agreed, though perhaps we need to give the new MBP a chance ... (though I'm likely to be sticking with a laptop)

I'm not sure what you mean by giving it a chance - the specification won't become better adapted to current needs after a few months. This is a machine for the elite consumer market, rather than the professional creative, and while some will change their workflow and equipment to allow themselves to use it, the majority are going to have to eventually look elsewhere. If we needed evidence that Apple have failed to understand their legacy, it is show by the incompatibility of the iPhone 7 connector and new series of Macbooks.

I'm not sure what you mean by giving it a chance - the specification won't become better adapted to current needs after a few months. This is a machine for the elite consumer market, rather than the professional creative, and while some will change their workflow and equipment to allow themselves to use it, the majority are going to have to eventually look elsewhere. If we needed evidence that Apple have failed to understand their legacy, it is show by the incompatibility of the iPhone 7 connector and new series of Macbooks.
????? What on earth are you on about? Firstly one rarely if ever has to plug it in, secondly you could just use a USB-c to lightning lead or as I do with lots of phones for forensics and development they connect through a hub anyway.

It really is a non issue.

????? What on earth are you on about? Firstly one rarely if ever has to plug it in, secondly you could just use a USB-c to lightning lead or as I do with lots of phones for forensics and development they connect through a hub anyway.

It really is a non issue.

Seems to be a big issue for a lot of Apple users - personally I don't give a wet slap - but you're far from a typical Apple user who has to have everything 'just work'.

One day wireless technologies will allow us to seamlessly connect devices and offer a true cable-free solution with zero speed differences, that day is not yet upon us.

I still remove the SD card so that I can offload wedding pics to the laptop whilst I carry on shooting with another card, I know plenty of people like this!

I'm not sure what you mean by giving it a chance
I simply mean it may be better to assess it's success after a few months, some/many people "may" change the way they work, and then again they may not. There are always people bitching and moaning when change is triggered (not necessarily aiming that at you btw) - and they usually bitch and moan loudly.

Then again, it is not a device I'd be even remotely interested in, it will not work for me so I'll stick with my dull, boring laptop.

I simply mean it may be better to assess it's success after a few months, some/many people "may" change the way they work, and then again they may not. There are always people bitching and moaning when change is triggered (not necessarily aiming that at you btw) - and they usually bitch and moan loudly.

That's certainly true. Guess we'll just have to wait & see if it's a commercial success, and who buys it.

I have a certain amount of interest in what Apple do because, like it or not, they do influence the rest of the industry and they're the only company in the past who can make choices that poo all over their users and still get acclaimed as wonderful. So after Apple decided laptops no longer needed a DVD drive all the PC manufactures dropped DVD drives from their top end laptops - the result is that I have an external DVD drive that gets regular use for my Laptop. o_O Not all the world is able to attain the lifestyle standards that Apple requires of it's customers, and the knock-on effect works to the detriment of those who don't choose their kit anyway. :shifty:

Back