Apple iphone 3G **HELP** last question before i buy...

3 words

Brothers In Arms

Considering it runs on a mobile phone platform, it's a stunning display of what the device can do. There's nothing more enjoyable than a 60m headshot while your waiting to get your hair cut.

ok... problem...

Thought i would try out the 3G as been using wifi all afternoon. as soon as i tried safari i get this message.

"could not activate cellular data network: you are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

hmmm. now i know i should definately be getting 3G even though i am on pay as you go...

any ideas?

does it show the 3G data carrier logo in the top left?

I've had that sometimes if i'm on the edge of coverage.

try holding the home button down for 6 seconds or so while in safari, that should be enough to restart Safari and clear it's cache

does it show the 3G data carrier logo in the top left?

I've had that sometimes if i'm on the edge of coverage.

try holding the home button down for 6 seconds or so while in safari, that should be enough to restart Safari and clear it's cache

:shake:

tried searching the net but there appear to be quite a few people with the same problem... there was a reset mentioned that worked for some but not for me :(

is it set up by the network? o2 took 2 days to get mine working...(the slackers)

is it set up by the network? o2 took 2 days to get mine working...(the slackers)

that could be it :thinking: but how do i know if they have or not? im crap with technology and shouldnt be allowed all these toys :bonk:

Your new sim card will need to be activated on the network before it will pick up a 3G signal (you did use the new sim card and not your old one didn't you?).

Leave it on overnight and you should find a 3G icon in the header bar when they've activated it.

definately the right sim and the 3G icon does appear its just i get that massage and it doesnt connect... saying that its not receiving calls atm either! :bang:

mind you i havent put any credit on it as they are moving my number over in the next 48 hours and my existing credit with it... guess we will wait and see!

Ah, ok. If you are porting your number across (and they know you are doing it) they will be unlikely to activate your new sim until the number has ported.

It looks like you are playing the waiting game I'm afraid.

oh well 'ibeer' is keeping me amused for now :LOL:

will keep you up to date...

If you like something a little challenging, try JellyCar.

Good games I've bought recently include Flick Bowling, Flick Fishing & Wurdle. Have fun.. you probably won't sleep tonight :)

that jelly car game drives me mad.. i cant work it out!

its useful using the pinch screen method to zoom in and out to actually see the course before embarking on completing each level. Some of those levels do make you wonder if you'll ever complete them :)

''THE BEST PHONE EVER!!!'' :D

can i just ask i seen loads of different things you can download for the iphone like aenergizer battery rather than the normal 1 when you charge it, how do you get them on your phone anyone??

how do i get photos onto the damn thing :bang:

i think i am 'man looking' :thinking:

how do i get photos onto the damn thing :bang:

Easiest way is through iTunes.

In your 'My Pictures' folder, create another folder called 'iPhone' (it doesn't have to be called that, just makes it easier) and put in there any pictures you want to be on your phone.

When you connect your iPhone up to iTunes, select the 'Photos' tab and then add the iPhone folder you just created to the 'Sync' list.

Form that point on, any photos you add in to the 'iPhone' folder will sync with your phone. Similarly, if you don't want some on there, simply delete them from the folder and they will be removed next time you sync your phone.

I'm not in front of my iTunes at the moment, but that's how it goes from memory.

Thanks you Simmotino (y)

i have just walked throught door so will have a look in a bit :D

Easiest way is through iTunes.

In your 'My Pictures' folder, create another folder called 'iPhone' (it doesn't have to be called that, just makes it easier) and put in there any pictures you want to be on your phone.

When you connect your iPhone up to iTunes, select the 'Photos' tab and then add the iPhone folder you just created to the 'Sync' list.

Form that point on, any photos you add in to the 'iPhone' folder will sync with your phone. Similarly, if you don't want some on there, simply delete them from the folder and they will be removed next time you sync your phone.

I'm not in front of my iTunes at the moment, but that's how it goes from memory.

ok, think io must be a dumbass as i cant even see a photos tab. also can work out how to set music as a ringtone :bang:

:help:

ok, think io must be a dumbass as i cant even see a photos tab. also can work out how to set music as a ringtone :bang:

:help:

You can't select music as a ringtone, BUT there is a way to do it.. i'll try to find the tutorial and post the link here.

As for the photos, what I did was to resize to iphone screen.. you get plenty of pics, on your phone as you don't need full res images for the small screen.

You can't select music as a ringtone, BUT there is a way to do it.. i'll try to find the tutorial and post the link here.

As for the photos, what I did was to resize to iphone screen.. you get plenty of pics, on your phone as you don't need full res images for the small screen.

Thanks mad if you can find that link that would be ace (y)

the prob im having with photos is that i can even work out how to get them on the phone! :LOL::bonk:

Thanks mad if you can find that link that would be ace (y)

the prob im having with photos is that i can even work out how to get them on the phone! :LOL::bonk:

Check the post above for the link to the YouTube video.

As for adding photos.., connect your iPhone and go to iTunes. Select your iPhone from the left and the main window will show your phone contents etc.. one of the tabs on tops should allow you to add a photos. What you need to do is put the pics you want to add into a folder on your PC and select that folder to add via iTunes.

iPhone ringtones made easy.....

http://www.iringer.net/

Load the music into the program, select the length of rington (up to 30 seconds), chose fade in / out & length, select the portion of the track you want and hit export.

It even imports it to itunes ready for you.

Chris

can i just ask i seen loads of different things you can download for the iphone like aenergizer battery rather than the normal 1 when you charge it, how do you get them on your phone anyone??

The device needs to be jailbroken which invalidates your warranty.

I own the iphone 3g, however its sitting on my side gathering dust until future updates! I got fed up of crashes, random vibrations, crap 3g connection etc.
so i switched to the HTC Kaiser (o2 stellar, t-mobile vario 3) until problems with iphone are fixed.

I own the iphone 3g, however its sitting on my side gathering dust until future updates! I got fed up of crashes, random vibrations, crap 3g connection etc.
so i switched to the HTC Kaiser (o2 stellar, t-mobile vario 3) until problems with iphone are fixed.

Sounds like you've got a shoddy example there, I've not experienced any of those problems with my iPhone 3G (though I've only been using it 2.5 weeks). 3G connection has been good (where its available) and I've even managed to get phone service with 02 in places I've not had service before with Orange/Vodafone etc (like inside major department stores/supermarkets) in certain places.

My work phone is a HTC Tytn II/Kaiser and I find that laggy and prone to crashes/ slow-downs in comparison, though ultimately far easier to enter information thats to the pull-out dedicated keyboard.

The iPhone for me scores lots of points for simple things that all phones should do that just make life easier. They sound simple but proper auto capitalisation when typing names/titles, seperation of phone numbers into standard group format (i.e. 0000 000 0000) when typing/displaying, good calendar functionality etc.

When Pocket Informant comes out on it I'll only use the HTC for works calls, all PIM will be done on the iPhone. Though to be fair I'm using Remember The Milk for iPhone at the moment and it's proving excellent at task management, just missing the integration Pocket Informant has.

Anyway, back to original point, might be worth taking your bad copy into an Apple store and speak to the guys there, explain the problems. (You may already have though).

Sounds like you've got a duff handset to be honest as Chris says.

Apart from the odd Safari crash to the home screen, all firmware versions have been pretty stable once the original 3G issues were resoved with 2.0.

We're now on 2.2 and it flies.

If you haven't updated, I'd give it a go. If you still have problems, I'd get the handset itself replaced.

Apple are pretty good at replacing things, I got mine replaced because there was dust trapped under the screen.

Has yours been jailbroken?

Right guys and gals.

hope this is the right section but please move or not.

I have noticed that there are quite a few iphone users on here and i just wanted to know if you would recomend it?
i would be getting it on PAYG as i just cant justify a contract when i mainly text and already get a cracking deal from o2.
im looking at the 16gb version as i can get it for £365 at the moment.

so come on people...

whats good, whats bad and whats crap?

*also it might be a silly question but does MSN work on it?

is it worth the money?

any help with this much appreciated as always (y)
People tell me that they will have to remove my iphone from my hand surgically.

I'm tempted...

My brothers just got one as his XDA went on the blink. Gives me an opportunity to have an extended test drive.

My gripes are the on screen keyboard for texting/emails seems to be only in the vertical orientation? Also the lack of voice guided satnav - I use Tomtom on my XDA quite a lot and keeping it in one device is handy.

Back