Apple iphone 3G **HELP** last question before i buy...

My gripes are the on screen keyboard for texting/emails seems to be only in the vertical orientation?
Through the iPhone firmware yes, but there is an app available through the App store that will allow for horizontal orientation of the keyboard for email.

To be honest, the intelligent sensor software in the keyboard makes the vertical easier than you would think.

Unless you have really big fingers the onscreen keyboard is fine in the vertical format, when the horizontal keyboard comes up for entering a URL I find the keys spaces too far apart to type quickly.

Voice guided sat nav would be helpful, the rumours said it would be out in 2.1 software, then 2.2, but it hasn't turned up yet. I'd be surprised if there isn't anyone working on it, either Apple or a thrid party...

I think the voice guided satnav is one of the 'keepers' that Apple will be holding back for the 3rd generation iPhone to be honest.

Thinks like this along with MMS and greater bluetooth flexibility are big enough to get people to upgrade handsets, so I'd be surprised if Apple gave them away with a firmware update to be honest.

A quick type on my brothers iphone suggests I have fat fingers. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but a landscape option would be better.

Voice guided Satnav ala TomTom is a sticking point. I would guess Apple are restricting TomTom because Apple are working on something themselves.

A quick type on my brothers iphone suggests I have fat fingers. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but a landscape option would be better.

Voice guided Satnav ala TomTom is a sticking point. I would guess Apple are restricting TomTom because Apple are working on something themselves.
That would be my guess too (the second bit :LOL:)

Actually Tomtom did have a demo version of their Nav at the launch of the 3G. It's Apple's licensing agreement that's stopping them from launching. Something about promoting the use of a mobile phone whilst driving ;)

Let me know if you are still struggling SM and I'll send you a few screen shots tonight to walk you through the process.

Thanks Simmotino but i got it sorted (y)

it would appear i find it easier to understand when under the influence of vodka :LOL:

iPhone ringtones made easy.....

http://www.iringer.net/

Load the music into the program, select the length of rington (up to 30 seconds), chose fade in / out & length, select the portion of the track you want and hit export.

It even imports it to itunes ready for you.

Chris

That sounds spot on CM many thanks, will be having a look in a second...

There is an app now to access hotmail - http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292591480&mt=8. I have no idea how good it is as I'm a Gmail user, but it looks better than using safari.

and to you too Putterill, shall be having a read in a moment...

Just wanted to sau a big thanks to everyone for your guidence and advice with the iphone...

and damn you all as i am now addicted.

i am now suffering from isomnia... :LOL:

the only reason i remember to go to sleep is when the battery runs out and i need to put it on charge!

Sounds like you've got a shoddy example there,
it's the same on my mums and my brothers unfortunately. However it is possible we all have duds.

My work phone is a HTC Tytn II/Kaiser and I find that laggy and prone to crashes/ slow-downs in comparison, though ultimately far easier to enter information thats to the pull-out dedicated keyboard.
Do you mean the keyboard lag? there is a Cab fix for that i can provide to you, works very well.
My kaiser was second hand pre-hacked so with the right ROM on it, it works superbly. My only issue is reception but that seems to be one corner of my room lol.

i think my mum is going to (her problems are worse) my brother im not sure and im using the kaiser for now.

There is an app now to access hotmail - http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292591480&mt=8. I have no idea how good it is as I'm a Gmail user, but it looks better than using safari.

iPhone ringtones made easy.....

http://www.iringer.net/

Load the music into the program, select the length of rington (up to 30 seconds), chose fade in / out & length, select the portion of the track you want and hit export.

It even imports it to itunes ready for you.

Chris

i can confirm that iringer works well and is easy to use and m-box mail is perfect! absolutely cracking app for hotmail so many thanks (y)

thank you both for the links :D

Just found this thread.... and it's really made me want to get an iPhone. I'm already an Apple addict and can't believe I've been putting off getting one of these for so long! I've heard rumours that there's an update just around the corner, though... should I wait? :shrug:

Mac Rumors says an update is due soon so probably best to wait. I miss mine, wish I'd never sold it despite it's flaws :(

Its true, the iPhone is awesome, I moved to Canada in August with work and one of my first actions was to set up cable, Internet etc and I couldn't help myself - especially at $299, bearing in mind the exchange rate at the time was two dollars to the pound. Although its a battery hog, the GPS sorted me out so many times as I wandered around a strange city!

I'd have trouble accepting anything else now tbh...

Thanks - yes, I saw on their buyers guide that it's best not to buy now as updates are coming up. I can hang on for another month or so... :help:

Love my iPhone. Using it now. I run my life from it. There are major flaws like no cutting and pasting. No business card sending. Etc etc but all these can be patched and will be.

Would love to be able to connect to a camera and download images from a camera "in the field".

For MSN use Palringo. Download iFart, iLevel.

An amazing bit of kit with flaws you can easily live with.

What are the updates though as the iPhone gets updates through iTunes anyway.

They mean the update will be the hardware. They wouldn't recommend not buying something if you could 'update' it by installing new firmware. :)

They mean the update will be the hardware. They wouldn't recommend not buying something if you could 'update' it by installing new firmware. :)

Now that sounds very interesting... :shrug: ... been nearly a year since I had an upgrade and I'm getting withdrawals... :naughty:

:p

If anybody really misses MMS, get MMS app, it's free and is as easy to use as your SMS inbox ;)

For me and i'm a bit of an Apple fan

1) - No MMS built in
2) - Bluetooth does not work properly between iPhones and other phones
3) - Battery life is not brilliant
4) - Cannot use the internet connection via bluetooth with a laptop (my biggest headache!)
5) - Camera only 2mp and no digital zoom
6) - GPS not capable of running a full Satnav YET
7) - Whilst navigating it is too easy to hit a link and no way to then stop safari going off down that link.
8) - Battery is fixed inside
9) - Flash ram is fixed inside
10) - No cut and paste
11) - No easy option for ringtone.

I am seriously thinking of dumping my iPhone 3G for a Blackberry !

For me and i'm a bit of an Apple fan

1) - No MMS built in
2) - Bluetooth does not work properly between iPhones and other phones
3) - Battery life is not brilliant
4) - Cannot use the internet connection via bluetooth with a laptop (my biggest headache!)
5) - Camera only 2mp and no digital zoom
6) - GPS not capable of running a full Satnav YET
7) - Whilst navigating it is too easy to hit a link and no way to then stop safari going off down that link.
8) - Battery is fixed inside
9) - Flash ram is fixed inside
10) - No cut and paste
11) - No easy option for ringtone.

I am seriously thinking of dumping my iPhone 3G for a Blackberry !

1 - MMS is supported now with a piece of free software (for locked phones). Works the same as the SMS except you top up mms credit if you want to send. Receiving is free. Plus that's what the email/internet is for. It's aimed above the mms level.

2 - Bluetooth is just for connecting to headsets I think. Not a problem for me. I'm sure they don't want people illegally transferring files (for example) as they are so tight on the itunes stuff they sell.

3 - The battery isn't a huge issue unless you are in the mountains for days on end. In which case the iphone isn't for you. A good walking stick and some warm socks would be a better investment. I just plug mine into the car if I get desperate. Granted it'd be nice if it lasted longer but i'm usually near a plug, computer, or car so it's not an issue.

4 - Can't help on the laptop issue, again it's likely apple/o2 trying to keep the strings tight :confused:

5- The camera could be better but it does the job, a little awkward but it does it. And that screen just makes the photos look better :D Love the screen

6 - GPS is not far off ***. I read tomtom have got their software working and there is a jailbroken set up now that is working some other software as full sat nav. My google maps is quite fast, as a passenger it's helped me out a bunch of times. Still use my tomtom in my own car of course, for now.

7 - Stop the browser by hitting the x in the title bar, or just hit back if you get stuck :confused:

8 + 9 - Things fixed inside.. well, small price to pay. Ram wise i'm not sure they want you fiddling anyway. Plus it's obvious they want all battery business to go via them. And from what i hear the apple geniuses will try to fix anything easy enough and if not just give you a replacement :)

10 - Cut and paste would be very useful. Not sure what other "phone" has it *** . Bold maybe? I'm learning to live without it though.

11 - iringer worked for me for ringtones. Very easy. Ok, not as easy as say on as sony ericsson, but good enough.

1 - MMS is supported now with a piece of free software (for locked phones). Works the same as the SMS except you top up mms credit if you want to send. Receiving is free. Plus that's what the email/internet is for. It's aimed above the mms level.

Its a kludge that you have to pay extra for when they could just include it! I want MMS for sending pictures to normal mobile phones and I don't want to be paying more money. One of the European carriers insisted on it and Apple included it, think it is Holland.

2 - Bluetooth is just for connecting to headsets I think. Not a problem for me. I'm sure they don't want people illegally transferring files (for example) as they are so tight on the itunes stuff they sell.

Bluetooth does not work properly, like I said. It will not connect to other phones reliably or repeatably. Yes it will connect to a headset but I, like others, want to connect with whatever *I* want to connect with!

3 - The battery isn't a huge issue unless you are in the mountains for days on end. In which case the iphone isn't for you. A good walking stick and some warm socks would be a better investment. I just plug mine into the car if I get desperate. Granted it'd be nice if it lasted longer but i'm usually near a plug, computer, or car so it's not an issue.

It barely lasts a 10 hours shift if I make say 3-4 five minute calls, listen to music for an hour or so and browse the internet. It has run out of several occasions.

4 - Can't help on the laptop issue, again it's likely apple/o2 trying to keep the strings tight :confused:

This is the killer for me! A device that has unlimited 3G internet in my pocket that can technically attach to the internet and supply that connection to a laptop on my knee via bluetooth which is blocked by Apple from doing so. You can get this functionality from several new Nokia and Blackberry phones! You can also get it if you jailbreak your iPhone.

5- The camera could be better but it does the job, a little awkward but it does it. And that screen just makes the photos look better :D Love the screen

Well yes, it could be better, a software zoom might help and not cost anything but a little time to implement! But why 2mp when every other phone has higher? I'm not AS bothered by this one as some people are but its a bit naff!

6 - GPS is not far off ***. I read tomtom have got their software working and there is a jailbroken set up now that is working some other software as full sat nav. My google maps is quite fast, as a passenger it's helped me out a bunch of times. Still use my tomtom in my own car of course, for now.

The GPS is actually a bit of a hardware problem and is not as accurate as the one you get in a sat nav. It can only locate you within a radius of maybe 50 meters. It relies on software working out where you are going in order to approximate where you are. It can never be as good as a real satnav. I am not interested in jailbreaking my phone and am just waiting to see if anyone actually releases a working satnav. Tomtom had their demo working at the launch!

7 - Stop the browser by hitting the x in the title bar, or just hit back if you get stuck :confused:

The X does not always help, especially when it is a complicated page and you cannot use the back function on protected pages such as banking.

8 + 9 - Things fixed inside.. well, small price to pay. Ram wise i'm not sure they want you fiddling anyway. Plus it's obvious they want all battery business to go via them. And from what i hear the apple geniuses will try to fix anything easy enough and if not just give you a replacement :)

Having the battery fixed inside will be normal for everyone soon. Apple are moving that way even with laptops but the life of the battery needs a boost. The memory thing though is a pain. Most other smart phones use a micro SD card. If this was implemented it would make transfer of information etc vastly easier. It would however remove a nice little earner from Apple when they charge £60 for £5 worth of flash ram!

10 - Cut and paste would be very useful. Not sure what other "phone" has it *** . Bold maybe? I'm learning to live without it though.

Inexcusable totally!

11 - iringer worked for me for ringtones. Very easy. Ok, not as easy as say on as sony ericsson, but good enough.

Not good enough if you don't use Windows! iTunes should have this functionality built in it is just not good enough!!

About the battery issue.. my daughter managed to freeze my phone the other day and so I had no other option but to restore to factory state and load everything back on. Since then I've noticed the battery performs much better.

Its a shame really as Apple will be replacing my phone today :) .. just when things were getting better :)

About the battery issue.. my daughter managed to freeze my phone the other day and so I had no other option but to restore to factory state and load everything back on. Since then I've noticed the battery performs much better.

Its a shame really as Apple will be replacing my phone today :) .. just when things were getting better :)

Obviously lots of processes running away in the background! It is worth restarting them every now and again anyway. I would love it if they fixed most of the faults I listed, the vast majority of which are software faults/feature locking etc. I can live with all the hardware faults!

I'm sure this has been said a million times, but the only thing stopping me getting one is the fact I can only get it on o2.
Aside from liking to be able to choose, o2's customer care was severly lacking, and I'm not sure I want to go back to that. I do really want an iphone though so guess I'll have to.....

I'm sure this has been said a million times, but the only thing stopping me getting one is the fact I can only get it on o2.
Aside from liking to be able to choose, o2's customer care was severly lacking, and I'm not sure I want to go back to that. I do really want an iphone though so guess I'll have to.....

So far I've not had any problems. I did go over my allowance and even though it was basically my fault for not checking, they refunded £25 straight away. Which to be fair they didn't need to do as I am tied into the contract and it was clearly my fault. I had many many many many (etc) problems with Orange previously where things that were clearly and proven as their fault were ignored. T Mobile too used to sort problems out quickly and well. Orange has been my least favourite by light years, so far!

If you set up your email as IMAP (or POP3 I think??) then your email service provider should provide spam filtering there end.

Brummy.. fellow brummy... why have you got the same link twice in your signature? Is it an accident or by intelligent design? Like the flash gallery by the way.

thats interesting db, glad to hear they have inproved.

The orange packages are far better too though, ok so you don't get unlimited browsing but the magic number scheme has saved me loads, then there is the orange wednesday etc. Its the little things like that that also make a difference. Know what I mean?

I am due an upgrade in 3 months, or can change my phone and upgrade early with orange in 2 weeks. I am completely undecided what I'll do yet. Iphone would be great, and i probably will get one.
If they did away with the exclusivity, i'd snap one up. I'm sure i'm not the only one thinking that. I know they are unlikely too though so just gott deal with it!

I've had a first gen iphone since launch (didn't bother upgrading when offered). Its up for renewal in a month or so and I'm also thinking what to do. For me its a trade off between the iphones excellent interface (for web browsing in particular) and the increased spec of other handsets (better camera, better battery, SD cards etc)

If you set up your email as IMAP (or POP3 I think??) then your email service provider should provide spam filtering there end.

You would hope so but no all they do is insert the word spam in square brackets at the begining of the title. Helpful on a desktop with filters but not on the iPhone!

I'm still waiting on a 32Gb version to replace my 32Gb iPod Touch. Rumours are that it will be June/July before a new version is released.

I'm still waiting on a 32Gb version to replace my 32Gb iPod Touch. Rumours are that it will be June/July before a new version is released.

That would clinch the deal for me, assuming its sensibly priced. Then I could do away with my ipod and only run one device. I'd suffer going back to o2 for that.

TBH I'd sell my kidney for one!

You would hope so but no all they do is insert the word spam in square brackets at the begining of the title. Helpful on a desktop with filters but not on the iPhone!

So how is that the iPhone's fault?

Don't get spam on mine. It goes through an external spam filter first.

Bluetooth - works with headsets, works with Nokia phones and the Samsung D900i.

As a photographer I love mine. It's nice to have pics on something thats easily displayable. The Phone part of it works well, but the SMS texting is missing some features you get with other phones, but I don't use those features (I have the £30 contract).

iTunes is a shockingly poor app IMHO

Battery life is ok for me. I don't play games on it, but do use it for audio podcasts etc, and the battery lasts about 3-4 days (so about the same as other new phones), but I do top it up every 2 days. Turn off bits you don't use, such as the bluetooth, wifi etc?

Sat in Gloucester on Friday looking for somewhere for lunch, fired up the iPhone and found a Tapas bar. Use the maps to find where it was, phoned the number, booked a table. felt like an advert :D

Ringtones are easy to do from MP3 tunes. What you can't change without jailbreaking is the text sounds

Not singling out anyone in particular here, but I'm always amazed (and amused) by the people who buy an iPhone and then complain about what it doesn't do. Surely they knew the specs before they bought it?

It's been happening since launch across many, many forums, full of people who bought one to be part of the club and then moan incessantly about the features they wanted but don't have! :cautious:

FANTASTIC PHONE AND BY GOING INTO APPS STORE AND FREE STUFF YOU CAN GET YOUR MMS NO PROBS:clap:

Back