Are Red Kites A Threat?

Just following this up again, I've realised we no longer have a meaningful dawn chorus. When we first moved here it was so loud that even if the weather was stifling we had to keep the bedroom windows shut or be woken from 4am in summer. A couple of years back I had a feeling it wasn't so noisy, but not until this week after I left the windows open by mistake did I realise it doesn't happen at all now.

Although the tits, a couple of doves and a robin have returned, there's no sparrows & dunnocks, finches, few woodpeckers and corvids. I also don't really see kestrels & small hawks by the roads any more, although there are still pheasants and partridges. Local small bird population has really plummeted, and it's not lack of food. Avian flu? Perhaps it doesn't affect the kites and large birds, of which there is relatively lots.

I’m a bit surprised it should have that much of an effect but I think its obvious that red kites would make other birds and mammals “uneasy” and maybe act in the same way as a scarecrow etc. In my local area (within sight of a kite release site) I can say from personal observation that hares have moved from.open fields to nearby willow coppice woodlands which would probably put them more at risk from mammalian predators. The farmer for that area tells me there has been a noticeable drop in ground nesting birds. Even if kites are only scavengers, which I doubt, other birds an mammals don’t know that. No doubt given time and habitat improvement thing would eventually settle down.

I‘m in favour of these introductions generally and I’d like to see wolves reintroduced (but only in Scotland naturally :LOL:) but RSPB and others have a blinkered view of raptors and bang on about largely unproven “persecution” while being OK with controlling mammalian predators in areas they control :mad: .

Just following this up again, I've realised we no longer have a meaningful dawn chorus. When we first moved here it was so loud that even if the weather was stifling we had to keep the bedroom windows shut or be woken from 4am in summer.
I'm not sure this is a new thing TBH.
I remember the first day of the first lock down, when I went to work ( essential supplier).
When I stepped out the house, at 5 am, not a sound.
The traffic noise was nonexistent as to be expected.
But even the birds weren't saying anything either.
Maybe they had a chance of a lay in, without "us" making all that noise and waking up.

I'm no longer up and about at that time, but bird song does seem some what diminished these days,
just the odd wood pigeon and mourning dove. making a noise.

I'm not sure this is a new thing TBH.
I remember the first day of the first lock down, when I went to work ( essential supplier).
When I stepped out the house, at 5 am, not a sound.
The traffic noise was nonexistent as to be expected.
But even the birds weren't saying anything either.
Maybe they had a chance of a lay in, without "us" making all that noise and waking up.

I'm no longer up and about at that time, but bird song does seem some what diminished these days,
just the odd wood pigeon and mourning dove. making a noise.

The other possibility for you and @ancient_mariner is hearing loss!

Also, though I don’t think it applies to the dawn chorus, one ’tunes out’ regular sounds. I’m always struck by the bird song on any videos I make in the garden when I’ve noticed nothing much at the time.

:ROFLMAO:

While the top end of my hearing has gone, it's no more than normal for an older adult, and possibly less than many. I sometimes have mild tinnitus too, like now, but can still hear the ticking of the clock from across the room, and even my mechanical watch when it's near my ear.

I’m a bit surprised it should have that much of an effect but I think its obvious that red kites would make other birds and mammals “uneasy”
I've had red kites here for years, along with a couple or so buzzards, and not forgetting the ( at least) one pair of sparrowhawks, so I don't think its that.
I'm wondering if they are moving away from towns and heading more for the country side, to get away from the brightly light towns.
Actually now I think about it, I've not heard the Tawny's calling for a couple of years or so either.

Say what?
:p

I've had red kites here for years, along with a couple or so buzzards, and not forgetting the ( at least) one pair of sparrowhawks, so I don't think its that.
I'm wondering if they are moving away from towns and heading more for the country side, to get away from the brightly light towns.
Actually now I think about it, I've not heard the Tawny's calling for a couple of years or so either.

Say what?
:p

When I moved here 30-ish yrears ago there was farmland behind the houses opposite and big evening roosts of starlings in the hedgerow trees. It was built over by a few years later and I’ve never had even one starling in my garden since nor seen any on that land though there are plenty of big trees around.

See occasional one in the town centre ½ mile away along with a few house sparrows which also never appear inmy garde/immediate area. So change happens. I think it probably did coincide with the arrival of the kites but it’s very unlikely they were the cause :)

I think it probably did coincide with the arrival of the kites but it’s very unlikely they were the cause :)
I've worked bird control on many landfill sites, a brilliant source of food for a wide range of scavengers.
from insects for wagtails, starlings, hobby's etc. Meat for red kites, smaller birds for peregrines, sparrowhawks and Goshawks.
Not forgetting the 1000's of various species of gulls of course, the bane of my life :(
They can be so persistent, that even if my hawk has killed one, they will continue to feed at a "respectable distance" knowing full the BOP is occupied.

These places are alive with native birds, and they all live in ( if somewhat a cautious )harmony.

Last edited:
Just following this up again, I've realised we no longer have a meaningful dawn chorus. When we first moved here it was so loud that even if the weather was stifling we had to keep the bedroom windows shut or be woken from 4am in summer. A couple of years back I had a feeling it wasn't so noisy, but not until this week after I left the windows open by mistake did I realise it doesn't happen at all now.

Although the tits, a couple of doves and a robin have returned, there's no sparrows & dunnocks, finches, few woodpeckers and corvids. I also don't really see kestrels & small hawks by the roads any more, although there are still pheasants and partridges. Local small bird population has really plummeted, and it's not lack of food. Avian flu? Perhaps it doesn't affect the kites and large birds, of which there is relatively lots.
Late July and August generally show a lull in bird activity. Breeding is largely over, and large movements of migratory birds aren't yet in full swing. It's the worst time of year if you are a birdwatcher, There are still birds around, but they tend to be more elusive, and unlikely to be singing.

This is why God created Dragonflies, so that birdwatchers have something to watch at this time of year.

I did sta,rt to write a fuller explanation, but instead here is a link to the RSPB explaining it:

This is of course on top of all the other reasons for longer term declines, but there is a strong seasonal affect at this time of year.

This is why God created Dragonflies, so that birdwatchers have something to watch at this time of year.

Ah! The voice of sanity, we can always rely on you Graham for a proper reasoned explanation. That rivals the old story about God and beetles :LOL: .

I wonder, did God create Birdwatchers and the Devil create Twitchers?

Last edited:
Late July and August generally show a lull in bird activity. Breeding is largely over, and large movements of migratory birds aren't yet in full swing. It's the worst time of year if you are a birdwatcher, There are still birds around, but they tend to be more elusive, and unlikely to be singing.

I did sta,rt to write a fuller explanation, but instead here is a link to the RSPB explaining it:

This is of course on top of all the other reasons for longer term declines, but there is a strong seasonal affect at this time of year.

Yes, bird song is actually more or less non-existent for many months of the year. The only species in the UK that has a winter song is the robin. The first bird song of the new season is usually a mistle thrush round about the New Year. Chiffchaffs tend to sing a bit on migration about this time of year, but most resident species will have stopped by July, and many migratory species will have begun leaving the UK for the south by that time .

Edit: "This is why God created Dragonflies, so that birdwatchers have something to watch at this time of year."

I like it!

Last edited:
I've noticed this before. All of a sudden they just stop singing. And, although you might think they've buggered off, they are back next year. I've always assumed that it's because all the singing serves a purpose. Nesting etc. And once that's done there is no point in advertising.

Yes, bird song is actually more or less non-existent for many months of the year. The only species in the UK that has a winter song is the robin. The first bird song of the new season is usually a mistle thrush round about the New Year. Chiffchaffs tend to sing a bit on migration about this time of year, but most resident species will have stopped by July, and many migratory species will have begun leaving the UK for the south by that time .

Edit: "This is why God created Dragonflies, so that birdwatchers have something to watch at this time of year."

I like it!
What I like about the robin's song is that changes to a rather sad song during the winter, and back to a more cheerful one in the Spring.

I've noticed this before. All of a sudden they just stop singing. And, although you might think they've buggered off, they are back next year. I've always assumed that it's because all the singing serves a purpose. Nesting etc. And once that's done there is no point in advertising.

That's more or less it in a nutshell. :)

Yes, bird song is primarily related to either attracting mates, or defending resources. No point in wasting energy unless it serves a purpose

Back