weekly Asha Film 52 with 52 Different Cameras Challenge WEEK 52: Completed!....

I like it too Asha, very nice black and white image. A cracking result for such an old camera!

Thank you Michael............Now if i could have got the mrs sat on the rock....that would have made it a top shot!!:D :D

I might add this was the first film I have developed this year where I have had to use ice to lower the dev chem temperatures......The tap water is coming through at 22°c upwards!!

It's always easier to stand the jugs of chems in a tub of warm water in winter than it is to have to mess with ice in summer.

Yea I finished my first Film the other day so will be good to know the camera is still going. I might actually do that, would be fun... will see how it goes anyway. Good luck with the rest of your project!

Asha said:
My good lady keeps reminding me as to how fantastic it is ( for her anyway) that I can even get an image out of them let alone a half decent result.......

She's right!

Asha said:
Maybe i'm too hard on myself....I always have had a perfectionist side to me deep down which regularly gets in the way of me simply enjoying myself.

Nice has a lot to offer in photo opportunities.....in fact the whole area has.....just need to get out there and capture it!!

Get out and get shooting and let us decide:)

Fantastic work Asha, great to see the old cameras still producing quality images.

Fantastic work Asha, great to see the old cameras still producing quality images.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for dropping in for a look.......the old cameras can still produce something half decent, the weak link is the old git who operates em :D :D

I've been taking a look through some of them....looks like i'm gunna av to get busy respooling 120 film onto 620 spools or doing my template/sheet film adaption to get to use them.....not difficult, just time consuming!

Week 18: La main a l'urne (The hand to the ballot box)

This is a large sculpture in a local public garden presented as a souvenir to French Algeria.

The camera and film latitude handled the sharp contrasts in light very well for such a basic set up....approx 3 stops difference between the dark shadows and the highlights!
Ony a slight sharpening and crop done to the original shot.

urnebrownie127earlymode.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-04

For anyone who may be interested in the conflicts etc surrounding French Algeria, detailed info can be found here

Camera used:
Kodak Brownie 127 c1956 - 1959

kodak127brownieearlymod.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-04

There were three models of the Kodak brownie 127. This is the early model, however it is not the first version of this model. That originally appeared in 1952, this particular version was released in 1956.

Aperture F/14
Fixed shutter speed 1/50
EFKE 127 R100 film (OOD)
ISO 100
Ilford Chemistry
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Ah you're making me all weepy eyed now; I used to have one of those!

Nice shot!

Ah you're making me all weepy eyed now; I used to have one of those!

Nice shot!

Funnily enough I used to play with one when I was a nipper that belonged to my grandma along with a Brownie flash IV that i was fascinated by ( especially the viewfinders).....They were simply loaned to me as "toys" when i used to visit. whatever became of them i have no idea.....like many things, dissapeared without trace over the course of time...a real shame!

Hi Asha.

I think that little camera has done well, there's detail in the dark areas, detail on the back of the hand and the highlights are not too bright:clap:

I'm never surprised at what results I get with this old gear.......often the better results come out of the cameras that are of the most basic design.

These little 127 brownies can't have been so bad in their day , albeit they were cheap to buy, they were nonetheless extremely popular, so much so kodak made 3 versions between 1952 and 1967 .....I would guess that most average families had one for their holday snaps!

Week 19 Going to waste...

This is one of many Villas in the area that are classed as historical monuments but are sadly simply left to deteriorate.

I have struggled to find much info on this particular one which is named "Villa Hyacinth".

It did belong successively to two English families, Lindon and Larrey but I have not been able to obtain additional info on them.

The view over Nice from this villa located on Mont boron is superb, covering the port of Nice, the huge bay and the distant view out beyond Antibes, Cannes and on a clear enough day, St tropez

Such a shame to watch the building litterally falling to bits.

week19coronet020boxcame.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-05

Camera used:
Coronet 020 Box camera
c. 1935.
Made of cardboard covered in leatherette with fixed focus, one instant shutter speed and one aperture!

coronet020box.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-05

Aperture F/14 (ish)
Fixed shutter speed 1/25 (ish)
Ilford Pan F+
ISO 50
Ilford Chemistry
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Like that Asha, nice and bleak, looks like the sort of thing you'd come across in a Stephen King book, is it haunted? :D

Like that Asha, nice and bleak, looks like the sort of thing you'd come across in a Stephen King book, is it haunted? :D

I suspect it might have spooky habitants.....if you ever come down here, I'll take you and leave you there for the night to see how long before you exit like this :runaway: :D :D

Is that the place just across from the Regina, Asha?

Quite ironic that you ask that Jon as I was up at Cimiez last sunday finishing off some rolls of film for my 52 and actually took a shot of the old villa opposite the Regina.....not that it came out particularly well.

That place is in even more of a derelict state than Villa Hyacinth...again I don't know much history on it but would not be surprised if it wasn't part of the Regina...possibly servants quarters?!!

As it is the villa hyacinth shot for my week 19 is on Mont Boron as you climb from Nice port en route towards Villefranche sur Mer and Monaco.
Near to the top of the hill there is a layby to the right which offers fab views over Nice and the mountains beyond over to the West.....exactly opposite on the other side of the road is the villa.

Ah, right. We've been meaning to get off the bus at the top of the hill and have an explore around there one day.

I bet the Cimiez monastery gardens look fantastic at the moment. They were pretty good at new year.

Week 20: A quiet corner (Eze village)

This is beautiful little village purched high on the cliffs above the mediterranean.
Very very popular with tourists.
There is a cactus garden at the very top which offers some superb views across the coastline.
This particular shot is a tiny corner (cul de sac) tucked away.....Doorways like these always attract my curiosity as to what is inside....
Taken handheld at 1/25 sec as the light was failing rapidly with the approaching dark clouds of a thunderstorm ( yes I got soaked!)
Some may see it a little underexposed but I like the mysterious feel that gives to the shot.

purma.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-07

Camera used:
Purma Special c.1937

55purmaspecial.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-07

Made of Bakelite this camera is interesting in so far as the shutter speed is changed dependant upon how the camera is held.

The shutter has three speeds controlled by a moving weight inside the camera, when held horizontal you get the medium speed (1/150) , held vertically one way, the slow speed (1/25), and held vertically the other way, the fastest speed ( 1/450).

Aperture F/6.3 (Fixed)
Shutter speed 1/25
EFKE 127 R100 film (OOD)
ISO 100
Ilford Chemistry
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Week 21: Protected

A dissapointing result this week.
I was expecting/hoping for much better given the result I had from a similar camera in week 18.
Not a very inspiring shot....Nice port protected by its long harbour wall with the "Baie des Anges" (Bay of Angels) / Promenade beyond with it's beaches, restaurants and bars......The idea of using the trees to frame the shot worked up to a point but the quality of the scene lets it down imo although to be fair the lighting was pants!
Nonetheless it's another camera that has had an "airing" and again proved itself to still be in working order after all these years.

babybrownie.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-11
Camera used:
Baby Brownie Special c.1940

babybrowniespecial.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-11

This moulded plastic bodied camera was introduced in 1939 and discontinued 1954....a fairly long production period and appeared to be popular in its day.

Perhaps back then it was seen as a decent point and shoot and offered what was considered a reasonable image.
As for my copy, the quality of all the shots it produces are shall we say "c**p" :(

Aperture F/14 (Fixed)
Shutter speed 1/50
EFKE 127 R100 film (OOD)
ISO 100
Ilford Chemistry
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Week 22: Grief

Quite pleased with this shot, not least of all as I had to capture it discreetly!
Taking photos in graveyards down here is strictly prohibited and very much frowned upon.
I appreciate the respect especially of those recently deceesed but this shot and others that i managed to get are of tombs that are in the region of a century old.
Anyway, I managed to sneak a few and this headstone of the lady/girl mourning particularly caught my eye.

week22kershaw110.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-11

Camera used:

Kershaw 110 c.1954

kershaw110.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-11

Although limited to just one instant shutter speed and a couple of apertures, this folder is quite nice to use, comfy in the hand, one press of a button opens the bellows immediatley ready to shoot.....

Aperture F/11 and F/16
Shutter speed 1/50
Ilford Pan F Plus
ISO 50
Ilford Chemistry
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Last edited:
Week 20 - I like it, looks like it was painted rather than photographed, i like the composition leading into the doorway

Week 21 - Can't say it does a great deal for me but as you say, the lighting looked to be pretty dire

Week 22 - Quite a powerful photo, looks to me like the girl/statue is looking away from the two tombstones behind her as though they are recently deceased family, the lack of detail on her face adds to the mystery of it i think :)

(y)

Week 20 - I like it, looks like it was painted rather than photographed, i like the composition leading into the doorway

Week 21 - Can't say it does a great deal for me but as you say, the lighting looked to be pretty dire

Week 22 - Quite a powerful photo, looks to me like the girl/statue is looking away from the two tombstones behind her as though they are recently deceased family, the lack of detail on her face adds to the mystery of it i think :)

(y)

Many thanks for your feedback Rob.

I think I'll be printing week 20 for myself .......A4 if not A3 ;)

Week 21 is a pretty rotten pic isn't it?!! lol .....it doesn't help that i placed it in between two reasonable weeks....sort of made its inferiority stand out a bit too much :(

I like your interpretation of week 22.......it adds more to the image than what I saw myself ........(y)

Week 23: Carrousel

This is based in Jardin Albert in the center of Nice and is naturally popular with youngsters not that anyone was on it when I went to get this shot ............shame really as I would have liked to have got two shots, one stationary and one with some movement.
As it is I'm very pleased with this....just a slight straightening ( I think it's straight :thinking:) and a fraction of sharpening to compensate for the softness caused by scanning the negative.
I would have liked to have captured the whole carrousel but without using a very wide lens, close up, it is impossible not to capture litter bins, road signs etc so I opted for this composition.

baldix.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-15

Camera used this week:
Balda Mess Baldix Rangefinder c.1950's

baldix.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-15

I purchased this camera from a retired RAF pilot who had owned it from new ...It was his first and only camera which he had loved and cherished for many years.....makes me proud to use it.
Sadly the self timer mechanism has developed a fault but otherwise in excellent working condition.

Aperture F/8
Shutter speed 1/100
Rollei RPX 400
ISO 400
Ilford Chemistry
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Last edited:
Some more lovely shots Asha. I especially like grief; the light and composition works well to highlight the figure.

Some more lovely shots Asha. I especially like grief; the light and composition works well to highlight the figure.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your kind words....

Lighting in the uk is often dank as you well know, here typically the exact opposite....very bright / harsh......both can make quite a challenge for photographers.

Composition generally only causes me an issue with these old cameras due to their fixed focal lengths which again adds to the challenge of obtaining a decent result.

To have made any improvement on the angle of this shot would have meant clambering on other tombs so for me was not an option.

Hi Asha, the shot for grief works really well, certainly gives a strong feeling of grief.

Thanks Michael,

Yes that particular headstone / monument did very much stand out even though it is one of the smaller ones in that cemetery.

I took several shots whilst in there including one of quite a large tomb of the family Borwick....Robert Hudson Borwick having being the Baron of Hawkshead, Cumbria....linky

There are many historical link with Great Britain in and around Nice.

Hi Asha, I've been a bit too busy to get on TP much lately so a few weeks behind!

Week 19, it is a shame about that villa, nice detail in the shot though.

Week 20, I love this, you've done well with a hand held shot. It just goes to show you can take a decent shot without image stabilisation! I could see this one framed!

I'll be back in a bit for the rest.

Hi Asha, I've been a bit too busy to get on TP much lately so a few weeks behind!

Week 19, it is a shame about that villa, nice detail in the shot though.

Week 20, I love this, you've done well with a hand held shot. It just goes to show you can take a decent shot without image stabilisation! I could see this one framed!

I'll be back in a bit for the rest.

Not enough hours in the day to get done all you want to??......you must be enjoying yourself too much!! :D :D

If I had the money Marsha, I'd buy that villa ......and invite all my TP buddies, you included .....at a price of course!!:D

Week 20 ....."you've done well with a hand held shot"......especially with my shaky hands...the more i try to avoid camera shake, the more i tremble!! :D :D

Asha said:
Not enough hours in the day to get done all you want to??......you must be enjoying yourself too much!! :D :D

I wish! I'm training at work just now so I need to study a bit! Can you tell I'm studying now:naughty:

Asha said:
If I had the money Marsha, I'd buy that villa ......and invite all my TP buddies, you included .....at a price of course!!:D

Ooooo I hope we'd get a discount?

Week 21, no maybe not the best, the foreground is too dark and the sky too bright, but the bit in the middle is ok:) You have got quite a lot in focus so not all bad!

Week 22, I like this, lots of detail in the shadows and nicely exposed. The weeping statue definitely brings emotion to the shot.
Why are they so against photography of graves over there? Is it a respect thing? Personally I hate creepy grave yards, but I am always respectful if I ever go in them. Respect is dying in the UK, too many graveyards being vandalised!

Week 23, that's a cracker too:clap: Nice lighting and it looks straight to me(y)

I wish! I'm training at work just now so I need to study a bit! Can you tell I'm studying now:naughty:

Not so sure you're studying....more like practicing your typing skills :D

Ooooo I hope we'd get a discount?

:

Of course......;)

Week 21, no maybe not the best, the foreground is too dark and the sky too bright, but the bit in the middle is ok:) You have got quite a lot in focus so not all bad!

:

The 52 different camera challenge has at least made me find out what this camera has to offer.... as it is I can't see me getting much use out of it

Week 22, I like this, lots of detail in the shadows and nicely exposed. The weeping statue definitely brings emotion to the shot.
Why are they so against photography of graves over there? Is it a respect thing? Personally I hate creepy grave yards, but I am always respectful if I ever go in them. Respect is dying in the UK, too many graveyards being vandalised!:

Yes very much a respect issue.....a bit OTT though really!

Sad to hear how graveyards are vandalised over there.....My father is buried at Whitwood cemetery in W. Yorks which was, upto my leaving the UK kept in very good order...I do hope it hasn't deteriorated!
As for the shot, I already have this printed A4 in my portfolio along with week 20........I'm finding more and more that I can pretty much judge exposure simply by looking at a scene although my lack of confidence still has me metering to make sure! Sometimes it is out, but when I find that my judgement was right to start with, it kinda gives me a boost!

[/QUOTE]

Week 23, that's a cracker too:clap: Nice lighting and it looks straight to me(y)

LOL...Glad it's straight.....a very sharp lens on this camera...I used it again last weekend to capture some vintage cars at a local rally....some pics here

I'm never surprised at what results I get with this old gear.......often the better results come out of the cameras that are of the most basic design.

These little 127 brownies can't have been so bad in their day , albeit they were cheap to buy, they were nonetheless extremely popular, so much so kodak made 3 versions between 1952 and 1967 .....I would guess that most average families had one for their holday snaps!

I had one of those and they used to take some good family photos, many of which are stuck in our family albums.I reckon there are one or two cameras up in the loft but I wouldnt be able to get up there to check.

I havent been around much and have only just seen your challenge. Its lovely to see someone using the old cameras still- great work too, some lovely photos.

I had one of those and they used to take some good family photos, many of which are stuck in our family albums.I reckon there are one or two cameras up in the loft but I wouldnt be able to get up there to check.

I havent been around much and have only just seen your challenge. Its lovely to see someone using the old cameras still- great work too, some lovely photos.

Thank you Sue, I've dropped behind a little with my challenge atm.
I have lots of other different cameras to choose from to make up the rest of the weeks although i will have to cut and respool film to get a shot ou of many of them simply because the original film formats are no longer avaialble to purchase.

Week 24: A piece of London on the Cote D'Azur

As in many other countries, English is becoming a second language only superceeded by the native tongue.
This London Bus is in full working order and can often be seen been driven in and around town for promotional purposes of the english language learning school based here in Nice.

Ideally I wanted to step back a yard or two so as capture the complete bus but as it was a sunday the gates were closed and i was forced to shoot through a fence.

The actual scene in the viewer showed part of the fence obscuring the bus but by ensuring the actual lens was not obstructed, i ended up with this result:

agfasynchrobox.jpg

Shot at 2012-07-12

Camera used this week:

Agfa Synchro Box c.1949 - 1958

111agfasynchrobox.jpg

Shot at 2012-07-12

A simple box camera using 120 format film.
Two waist level viewfinders, portrait and landscape which are very clear and bright however unlike some, these are slightly convex. This can pose a problem when composing the shot as often what is actually photographed is different to what was seen in the viewer....it is imperative to view perpendicular to ensure what is seen, is what one gets.
One instant shutter speed and one aperture of about F/11 although there is a built in filter which would "stop" the aperture down further to approx F/14

Aperture F/11 (ish)
Shutter speed 1/30
Fomapan Classic 100
ISO 100
Ilford Chemistry
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Hi Asha, that bus looks like a proper old style London bus. I like that it still says Trafalger Square on the front!

I think you have actually got all the bus in, just the front right is a bit dark. I would possibly crop the top, that would remove a large part of the darker right edge along the building.

I think the driver needs a round of applause too, how close is it to that building:bonk:

Hi Asha, I can't view these on my phone so I will comment on them when I'm back from my holiday, I will say however that it's good to see you getting cracking with the 52 again (y)

I look forward to seeing the images :)

Hi Asha, that bus looks like a proper old style London bus. I like that it still says Trafalger Square on the front!

I think you have actually got all the bus in, just the front right is a bit dark. I would possibly crop the top, that would remove a large part of the darker right edge along the building.

I think the driver needs a round of applause too, how close is it to that building:bonk:

Hi Marsha,

Yes it is one of the old style buses with the "platform" at the back corner where the conductor would stand and where we as kids would jump onto after running after the school bus cos we were late up out of bed..........do you remember the old ticket machines that the condutor had hung around his neck and the leather sachel type bag for storing the money from fares?

Having taken another look, you are right about cropping ....near on a square crop looks like it could work quite well.

Back