At last London is taking dirty diesel seriously

& the flies/wasps/dust etc & not forgetting ................. those nasty diesel particulates! :D

Never had any of that flying insect attack. Where do you drive?!

If you think your paper airon filter does much to the particulates you may be very far from reality. If you are going to pass some urban pocket just shut the window for a moment, and never walk around in town without a full hazmat outfit.

Insects only seem to want to enter my open windows when the car is locked. The little f***ers must know it will set off the internal motion sensor alarm. Even vehicle emissions can get into a car with the windows shut. More chance of them staying in there with you instead of passing through one window and out the other.

All windows down and roof down is the way to go. My VW EOS TDI PD may be an old s***ty banger but it is fun for the hot summer's day and the tailpipe is pointed outwards into someone else's aircon intake!!!

Never had any of that flying insect attack. Where do you drive?!

If you think your paper airon filter does much to the particulates you may be very far from reality. If you are going to pass some urban pocket just shut the window for a moment, and never walk around in town without a full hazmat outfit.

I was `avin a laarf . :rolleyes:

Just a thought if a petrol engine does 30mpg and a diesel does 60mpg. Are you polluting twice as much with a diesel/gallon or half as much compared to the petrol

Last edited:
Just a thought if a petrol engine does 30mpg and a diesel does 60mpg. Are you polluting twice as much with a diesel/gallon or half as much compared to the petrol
Well basically what goes in one end of an engine comes out of the other end. So based on your figures, doing the same distance in a diesel would use half as much fuel. A gallon of diesel has about 10% more carbon in it than petrol.

Do the math!

But modern turbo petrols get high 40s and turbo diesels only get mid 50s. Old style petrols get low 30's while diesels get mid 40's.

The difference isn't that big. Total CO2 emitted will be slightly less on a diesel, that's the reason diesels were being sold. But in reality, it's more polluting when you add other emission elements.

Well basically what goes in one end of an engine comes out of the other end. So based on your figures, doing the same distance in a diesel would use half as much fuel. A gallon of diesel has about 10% more carbon in it than petrol.

Do the math!
I think actually it is you that needs to do the maths and understand the pollution from diesel is not about co2 unless of course you are in the Donald trump camp and believe pollution is made up by the green hat brigade

But modern turbo petrols get high 40s and turbo diesels only get mid 50s. Old style petrols get low 30's while diesels get mid 40's.

The difference isn't that big. Total CO2 emitted will be slightly less on a diesel, that's the reason diesels were being sold. But in reality, it's more polluting when you add other emission elements.

Based on looking for cars for my daughter, small engined diesels are about 20% more frugal than the equivalent petrol engine, but currently attract much lower road tax due to the worse emissions, OK it's only one band but when you jump from £30 to £140 it's a lot

I think actually it is you that needs to do the maths and understand the pollution from diesel is not about co2 unless of course you are in the Donald trump camp and believe pollution is made up by the green hat brigade
Having sat on the British Technical Council as part the Vehicle Emissions Testing Group and having also spent nearly thirty years measuring diesel and gasoline vehicle exhaust emissions in laboratories, test tracks and the highways, there's a strong likelihood that I have a more detailed understanding about vehicle emissions than most. But hey let's not spoil things with some real information eh?

Having sat on the British Technical Council as part the Vehicle Emissions Testing Group and having also spent nearly thirty years measuring diesel and gasoline vehicle exhaust emissions in laboratories, test tracks and the highways, there's a strong likelihood that I have a more detailed understanding about vehicle emissions than most. But hey let's not spoil things with some real information eh?

So explain this then in ways that make you and your industry look good

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18415532

So explain this then in ways that make you and your industry look good

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18415532

Good one! Have you actually read the article you linked? It was written in 2012 and considers particulates and low sulfur fuels (which came in nearly 20-years ago).

Among other things it says Diesel emissions cause less cancer than smoking and is now grouped with other commonly known carcinogens such as wood dust. Not news to the industry (not 'my' industry by the way). Diesel particulates are harmful not because of their chemistry, but because they are very small. Direct Injection Gasoline engines make very small particulates too, these are also harmful to health. The number of particles emitted is now regulated for both diesel and gasoline cars and not a minute too soon. Particulate traps in the exhaust have massively reduced tailpipe diesel particulate emissions. I think they should also be fitted to gasoline cars and think they will be in future.

Tyres, as they wear down release particulates into the atmosphere too, even on electric vehicles. Guess what, they are harmful too and are not currently regulated at all. Don't often even see a discussion about this.

Airborne particulate matter is harmful to health. Where this is from road transport, reducing the number of vehicles is the most effective way of reducing these missions. Congestion charges and making city centres vehicle free zones is the best strategy for improving local air quality in cities. Not popular though. Getting the old gross emitting vehicles off the road should be a priority, though again it's not a popular policy as it penalises those that can least afford to buy a car with newer technology.

The current focus is on NOx emissions from diesel. This has been a thorny issue for years and in my opinion de-NOx technology such as AddBlue SCR, should have been mandated 10-years ago when particulate filters came in. As it is, only Euro 6 diesel cars have this technology and even then I don't think it's mandated, only that it's very difficult to meet the emissions limits for NOx without it. Euro 5 Diesel engines typically have EGR, which is one tool for reducing NOx made during combustion, but this only goes so far before particulate emissions increase substantially. This puts a lot of pressure on the durability of the DPF, so care is needed when going this route.

Other issues revolve around the relevance and evolution of laboratory emissions measurements versus so-called real-world emissions measurements. This is a very complex area with a number of competing interests. The principle sticking point in my opinion is that in the event laboratory testing was conducted under more realistic conditions, the emissions would be higher than the limits right across the board. The government's air quality models will all need to be re-built, their assumptions on air quality will all be wrong (are wrong), new vehicle models won't look as environmentally friendly as the previous model, all of the emissions testing methodologies and regulations will all have to be re-written and ratified. Overall it's a mess and has been for years.

FWIW I neither worked for a vehicle OEM or the government, so from a testing viewpoint was a neutral. We just wanted to understand the methods and be able conduct test measurements in accordance with the regulations (when appropriate for our programs of work).

Reactions: Nod
Back