Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everybody, I don't normally post for critique. I mainly do automotive and airshows and I'm pretty comfortable with my ability and results. But I would really appreciate some C&C's on these, as I don't often do travel/landscape photography but when I do it I enjoy it very much.

For those interested, my driving trip involved Salzburg and surrounding towns/mountains, Hallstat, Wolfgangsee and surrounding towns, Worthersee and surrounding towns, and Konigsee. Austria is surely one of my favourite countries, I adore it and would love to live there one day.

Camera/lens can of course be seen on flickr, but most are with my 6D and 20-35mm USM. I'll add more photos to the thread as I upload them to flickr if that's ok? My usual style is to bulk edit/upload but I'm really taking my time with these and enjoying the process.

Hallstätter See by Dan J, on Flickr

Across Wolfgangsee by Dan J, on Flickr

Fuschl am See by Dan J, on Flickr

Maria Wörth by Dan J, on Flickr

Maria Wörth by Dan J, on Flickr

St. Bartholomew's Church by Dan J, on Flickr

Reflecting at Maria Wörth by Dan J, on Flickr

Any and all C&C welcome, I have thick skin :)

Hi Daniel

Really liking the shots, some great colours and depth to some of the shots :)

looks a lovely place - is on my list to visit

Absolutely lovely set and some really nice processing on them too.

Looking forward to seeing some more, looks an amazing location

1,3 and 7 for me Dan.
Need to sort the verticals on 5 and 6 - the spire is noticeably wonky ( unless it's really like that ). Am sure someone will point out the need for a grad to balance the sky and avoid the blown bits but I won't be that guy :tumbleweed:

Hope you enjoyed yourself, it looks lovely and beats those cold PH meets :)

I presume you knew that Königssee is not in Austria and wanted to keep the post simple? Or did you drift into Germany without noticing? It can happen.

Last edited:
These photos are great! The first and third could easily be used as wallpapers in operating systems haha

Also , what made you choose 20-35 over 17-40?? I have been off the scene for a while and the former isn't a lens I am familiar with.

Hi Daniel

Really liking the shots, some great colours and depth to some of the shots :)

looks a lovely place - is on my list to visit

Definitely move it to the top of the list, it's a beautiful country :) Hallstatt is especially nice, peaveful and picturesque. Thank you :)

A great and varied set of shots!

Thank you! Glad you liked :)

Absolutely lovely set and some really nice processing on them too.

Looking forward to seeing some more, looks an amazing location

Thanks so much, really appreciate it! :)

1,3 and 7 for me Dan.
Need to sort the verticals on 5 and 6 - the spire is noticeably wonky ( unless it's really like that ). Am sure someone will point out the need for a grad to balance the sky and avoid the blown bits but I won't be that guy :tumbleweed:

Hope you enjoyed yourself, it looks lovely and beats those cold PH meets :)

I did some experimenting on the verticals with both of those and couldn't get either quite right, so had to settle for what I was sort of happy with! I think the angle and slope of the church isn't helping the case in no.5 haha! I would have appreciated a grad on most days tbh but just didn't have one with me. Looking back I could have done multi exposures but nevermind. Shooting raw gave me some flexibility. Lesson learned. That said, blown bits don't bother me too much with direct sunset shots, but can appreciate it bothers some people. Let's just say I got the blown bits to where I was happy with them lol. Really appreciate the feedback mate :) Really enjoyed it, much prettier than a field or car park! :D

I presume you knew that Königssee is not in Austria and wanted to keep the post simple? Or did you drift into Germany without noticing? It can happen.

You presume correct :) However, I did later drift in to Germany without realising when driving from Hallein over the Panoramastrasse! :D

These photos are great! The first and third could easily be used as wallpapers in operating systems haha

Also , what made you choose 20-35 over 17-40?? I have been off the scene for a while and the former isn't a lens I am familiar with.

Thanks so much Hope, really appreciate the kind words :) I've owned and sold a 17-40 previously, and it never really impressed me. I've always enjoyed hunting out old Canon gems, and MPB had a mint 20-35 so thought I'd give it a go. For half the price of a 17-40L, I find the lens very impressive :) Would be utterly pointless on a crop sensor though haha :) But of course, as Damian has spotted, there can sometimes be distortion on the wide end! (in common with the 17-40).

Last edited:
1st, 3rd, 4th and last work best.

The 2nd is dull and messy. There isn't a whole lot you can do with it.

Re 5 the skewed church, blown highlight spoil it. The direction of lights all wrong and it's a messy view.

Re 6 too much convergence, blown clouds and the cut off reflection jar. I suspect a portrait shot of just the white building plus reflection and mountains would have worked.

St. Bartholomew's Church

Technisch gesehen, nummer sechs ist die richtige
Sache trots dem etwas falsche Parallax Korrektur.

You found the right way to express your affection for
the country but not always the right WB.

I clearly understand, though, that these are more evocative
pictures; meant to inspire in a contemplative approach. In
this sense, well done!

Last edited:
Some stunning scenery, I like the compositions but agree with the others that the skies could do wit a little more work.

1st, 3rd, 4th and last work best.

The 2nd is dull and messy. There isn't a whole lot you can do with it.

Re 5 the skewed church, blown highlight spoil it. The direction of lights all wrong and it's a messy view.

Re 6 too much convergence, blown clouds and the cut off reflection jar. I suspect a portrait shot of just the white building plus reflection and mountains would have worked.

Super shots, 1 and 3 for me.

Thank you very much for the advice/feedback, it's appreciated :)

Technisch gesehen, nummer sechs ist die richtige
Sache trots dem etwas falsche Parallax Korrektur.

You found the right way to express your affection for
the country but not always the right WB.

I clearly understand, though, that these are more evocative
pictures; meant to inspire in a contemplative approach. In
this sense, well done!

Yes exactly. I will admit to some 'creative liberty' with WB. :D

Some stunning scenery, I like the compositions but agree with the others that the skies could do wit a little more work.

Thank you! Damian probably hit the nail on the head, should have had a filter with me! :)

Back