Average Speed Cameras

VOSA had a bit of a "thing" going on, awhile back, where I was working, I was flying a deterrent hawk, and we obviously got chatting.
( I'm not sure that using government property to take images of my birds was technically the "right thing" to do though :D )
Anyhow, I digress, it does seem that when they catch them, they do crush the cars, well that is, that was the score at that particular location (y)

Do you do the deterrent hawk flying in Norwich at all?

Do you do the deterrent hawk flying in Norwich at all?
No. Although I work quite a bit in that area, ( general pest control) I don't have any deterrent work there.

No. Although I work quite a bit in that area, ( general pest control) I don't have any deterrent work there.

Ah, was just wondering as we sometimes have a guy come to our offices with two hawks

Ah, was just wondering as we sometimes have a guy come to our offices with two hawks
There are a few people around and about doing this sort of thing TBH.
It maybe one of the NBC crowd, they are based in Attleborough and are quite a large company, with franchisee's.

Mr Bump said:
A lot of false plates out there now. apparently that's how so many uninsured drivers are on the roads and not getting caught. just cloning plates. you can order them off ebay.

Dejog saig: I still don't get how they get away with being caught. Have a vehicle that is not SORN, it must be insured and taxed. Just issue automatic penalty notices to the registered owner and get them.

Apparently the latest trend is to register a vehicle in quiet corners of scotland, low risk so low price, means the car appears as insured on the anpr hit, but theres no way to trace it to the driver.
Also some fake traders are acting as brokers, changing the policies to an unsuspecting buyers details, and only payign the first month. Driver knows nothing until he's stopped.

I still don't get how they get away with being caught. Have a vehicle that is not SORN, it must be insured and taxed. Just issue automatic penalty notices to the registered owner and get them.

They don't register, tax or insure the car, first anyone knows is when the registered owner of the plates gets a fixed penalty.
My log book states my car is silver, but there are many shades of silver as there are with red and blue, so my plates could be
used on any car of the same make, anyone checking the plates would get that it is legally on the road, but if someone cloned the plates that
wouldn't be the case and unless the cloned vehicle committed an offence I would never know.

They don't register, tax or insure the car, first anyone knows is when the registered owner of the plates gets a fixed penalty.
My log book states my car is silver, but there are many shades of silver as there are with red and blue, so my plates could be
used on any car of the same make, anyone checking the plates would get that it is legally on the road, but if someone cloned the plates that
wouldn't be the case and unless the cloned vehicle committed an offence I would never know.
The original vehicle is registered, the vehicle the fake plates are used on is also registered. Sure you can clone the VRN you can also clone a VIN. But then the original VIN still exists. It can be done, other European countries do it.

The original vehicle is registered, the vehicle the fake plates are used on is also registered. Sure you can clone the VRN you can also clone a VIN. But then the original VIN still exists. It can be done, other European countries do it.

Yep but when was the last time you saw a police car stop and check the VIN on a car ?
Cameras register number plates not VIN numbers, and that's what these people rely on
These things are only checked when something serious happens and it's too late then

It was originally supposed to be that you could only get new plates for a car if you produced the relevant documents,
but as has been stated it doesn't apply any more if you go to places like ebay or local markets.

Yep but when was the last time you saw a police car stop and check the VIN on a car ?
Cameras register number plates not VIN numbers, and that's what these people rely on
These things are only checked when something serious happens and it's too late then

It was originally supposed to be that you could only get new plates for a car if you produced the relevant documents,
but as has been stated it doesn't apply any more if you go to places like ebay or local markets.
The point is that you don't have to! The numbers and owner of the vin are already known. That is the legal entity which is made responsible for it. You don't even require the vehicle, you don't even need to catch it on the road (may require a redefinition in law I am not close enough to the exact wording in the UK).

The point is that you don't have to! The numbers and owner of the vin are already known. That is the legal entity which is made responsible for it. You don't even require the vehicle, you don't even need to catch it on the road (may require a redefinition in law I am not close enough to the exact wording in the UK).

I do understand what you are saying, but I know people that gave received fixed penalty fines parking/speeding/running red lights etcs when they have been nowhere near
the place they have been issued, and that is the point I am trying but failing to make,
My car is MOT'd taxed, insured and of a fairly common make, if a check on a plate is done by a police car following me they can find this
without stopping me, no alarm bells ring for it not being legally on the road, so if the plates have been cloned same thing, but that car probably isn't
legal and I certainly don'y and won't ever have owned it, but because to all intent and purposes it has legal albeit false plates it appears too.

Stopping the issue of tax discs has only added to the problem in my view

I do understand what you are saying, but I know people that gave received fixed penalty fines parking/speeding/running red lights etcs when they have been nowhere near
the place they have been issued, and that is the point I am trying but failing to make,
My car is MOT'd taxed, insured and of a fairly common make, if a check on a plate is done by a police car following me they can find this
without stopping me, no alarm bells ring for it not being legally on the road, so if the plates have been cloned same thing, but that car probably isn't
legal and I certainly don'y and won't ever have owned it, but because to all intent and purposes it has legal albeit false plates it appears too.

Stopping the issue of tax discs has only added to the problem in my view
Ah ok I understand. But that is very different as that is indeed where the VRN becomes important as for those acts you need to actually contravene a rule.

To tax and insure your vehicle is something you have to do regardless of whether you use the vehicle or not. Therefore it can be pursued without cloning issues of the vrn. It may thwart the investigation a little when it is contended but ultimately the legal entity is responsible.

What it wouldn't stop is those who declare SORN and then still use their vehicle on cloned plates. That is what I would do if I was so inclined.

What it wouldn't stop is those who declare SORN and then still use their vehicle on cloned plates. That is what I would do if I was so inclined.

Yep exactly, and some don't even declare it SORN because they never register it, just put false plates on

I'm quite happy going through a points based system. My skills are rare and in demand (y)
No that's wrong it's
" If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you."(y)

No that's wrong it's
" If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you."(y)
Lol sadly that would be lying, something I don't do. When I came to this country I had money. Hmm come to think of it, don't seem to have that any longer but gained a mortgage, wife and two children.

Lol sadly that would be lying, something I don't do. When I came to this country I had money. Hmm come to think of it, don't seem to have that any longer but gained a mortgage, wife and two children.

Yep, that'll do it! :D

How fast does it go?

Makes no difference anyway - pedal cycles do not have to comply with posted speed limits. :p The riders are however supposed to comply with traffic signals and other aspects of road traffic law and the highway code.

Ah ok I understand. But that is very different as that is indeed where the VRN becomes important as for those acts you need to actually contravene a rule.

To tax and insure your vehicle is something you have to do regardless of whether you use the vehicle or not. Therefore it can be pursued without cloning issues of the vrn. It may thwart the investigation a little when it is contended but ultimately the legal entity is responsible.

Some plod are so incompetent that even genuine, legal number plates are beyond their comprehension, as is what the PNC (or current equivalent) spits out at them. Some years ago, I had a letter from Taunton police telling me that I was a silly billy for leaving my commercialmass shopping in full view on the rear seats of my Volvo estate, reg no A123BCD. I sent them a very stroppy letter informing them that my LandRover, reg A132BCD had never been parked in Taunton, let alone with shopping on the rear seats (which, being a 90" Defender, it didn't have).

Makes no difference anyway - pedal cycles do not have to comply with posted speed limits. :p The riders are however supposed to comply with traffic signals and other aspects of road traffic law and the highway code.

You learn something new every day.

Last edited:
The original vehicle is registered, the vehicle the fake plates are used on is also registered.
JP, when they do their check, it includes who is insured to drive the vehicle too, so if said vehicle is insured to be driven by a female only & there is a young male driving, it obviously flags up a probable problem. Age of insured Vs age of driver, if obviously different, is also a red flag.

An expensive stolen vehicle with false plates won't have a SORN & even a cheapish scrapper/insurance write off with false plates won't flag up as a problem, as long as the `donor` car is legit.

Back