Bargains Thread

I've read around a bit, and opinion seems to be mixed. This comparison is interesting; you can see the size advantage, and the CZJ is in the middle of the pack for results (against MUCH more expensive lenses).

http://kertkley.com/docs/photographyrelated/lenses/7080-210200.htm

I think I'm willing to pay a bit more than £5 but less than the £65 or so currently on fleebay eu...

Ah. This post shows what looks like the same mount, and the work he needed to make it fit http://oomz.net/kadapter/... I think the registration distance is 44.4mm, so it won't work. M42 or nothing then :( .

:eek: I'd rather have a Tamron 46a for less than £65.
My favourite zoom (that I've seen going cheap many times) is the Kiron 80-200m f4 non zoomlock I take it nearly everywhere and have some great shots using it in Ibiza e.g.
Kiron80-200mm9100px.jpg

His quality control is dubious at best, if you don't expect much you can't be disappointed

His quality control is dubious at best, if you don't expect much you can't be disappointed

And getting the money back off him is way harder than giving it to him! He'll just ignore all your communications of wanting a refund so I would highly recommend paying by paypal as opening a dispute is the only way he'll pay it seems (and he'll not even communicate about the dispute).

I got burned by him with a Minolta 35 - 70mm f4 about a year ago, looked great until I tried stopping it down for a DOF preview and the screen didn't darken! Turned out the blades were stuck at wide open so I tried getting a refund off him and was ignored even when I opened a dispute, in fact I never received anything from him except an address of where to send the item back.

My official line... keep expectations low, factor in a CLA if necessary. Some good deals, but definitely a gamble.

I've just taken a bit of a gamble and bought two cameras from him.

A Purma Special and a Voigtlander Folding camera, they weren't too expensive so I won't be too disappointed if they end up as bookends as they look quite nice anyway (y)

Apparently he has a Dallemeyer 1000mm lens up for sale, only asking £2499, would be a good addition to your collection woodsy (y)

Haha! Surely it's not for 5x4? That's said, did you see the master photographers documentary about Andreas Feininger? Uses a telephoto on LF and gets some frankly incredible results!

Edit: ahh yes, it's for an SLR of some variety. Still, a hella long LF lens might be nice.... Damn you rob, you got me thinking now! ....a nice 600mm Nikkor perhaps? :D

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/p...006/600mm-f-9-0-ed-large-format-t-series-lens

Last edited:

If he describes an item as ''well used'' then it's probably fit for the skip.
''Shutter firing correctly'' can just mean that the shutter fires, speeds may be well out.
''Excellent cosmetic condition'' or ''optically perfect'' can mean anything...

Excellent Cosmetic Condition - there are lots of bits missing, but i've given it a wipe with an oily rag.

Optically Perfect - there's a lens in the box somewhere.

Excellent Cosmetic Condition - there are lots of bits missing, but i've given it a wipe with an oily rag.

That's a bit optimistic! I was looking at something on there recently that he described as 'excellent cosmetic condition' but the photo clearly showed green crud on the camera!

West Yorkshire cameras have a sale on their own-brand C41 b/w film: http://wycameras.com/product-category/film/ - I've not used it, so don't know how good it is! Has anyone had experience with this film? Seems cheap compared to Ilford's C41 b/w.

Update: Seems postage is free too! :D

Last edited:
Where are you seeing that's b/w? It's 35mm ISO 400, but there's no other information about it in the linked page.

Where are you seeing that's b/w? It's 35mm ISO 400, but there's no other information about it in the linked page.

If you click on the picture of the film it says "...It’s a C-41 process monochrome film which is very similar to Ilford XP2 or Kodak 400CN..."

Just ordered an 8 pack, the delivery is £4.00.

27 exposures not 36.

Last edited:

Definitely on the expensive side. M605s are abundant (as far as these things go, anyway), and there doesn't appear to be anything valuable - it's all pretty bog standard stuff.

This is a comment for your CPE2 thread as well, but darkroom equipment prices are all over the spectrum at the moment, from stuff picked up for free all the way to the Jobo Autolab ATL-1500: http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product/jobo_autolab_atl_1500_digi_processor/593-256x

Hmm, I didn't pay any postage on 2 rolls. Maybe there's a weight threshold.

freecom2 said:
Definitely on the expensive side. M605s are abundant (as far as these things go, anyway), and there doesn't appear to be anything valuable - it's all pretty bog standard stuff.

Huh? Don't see how this is expensive, I mean with all the gears included especially with the m605 I think it's a really good deal! :confused:

Hmm, I didn't pay any postage on 2 rolls. Maybe there's a weight threshold.

There was a mistake in the postage tables so you got an even better bargain! :bonk: We'll get the film sent to you today guys.

Received my 8 pack today excellent service and at £3.00 a roll great price.

Kodak gold 100 is VG so I gambled on the film being stored properly ?

Back