Bargains Thread

https://www.gumtree.com/p/video-cam...-olympus-trip35-samsung-camcorder-/1156049970

I only just noticed this (posted 23 hours ago) but definitely worth a look if you're in East Yorkshire. It's a mixed lot for £40, but the Trip is worth £10-15 (check red flag comes up), there's an old Nikon non-AI 50mm f/1.4 attached to a Nikkormat (although they spelt it Nikkomat, which is the name that they had in Japan) which is hidden but in a half case so likely to be in good condition, and a Nikon EM with a lens (likely to be a 50mm f/1.8 Series E), and what looks to be possibly a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f/3.5 (the one with orange and white focusing distances), a Tamron 80-210mm F/3.8-4 Adaptall-2 (the Nikon mount on that alone is worth £10).

An intriguing lot!

H'mm I would have thought your other thread has put people off the Blad ;)

Ahaha, to be fair it's a great camera and I love it usually, I've just got a couple problems with mine at the moment :p

I don't think there's a sexier looking camera out there though (well, maybe the T70...), so it's worth the money just as a piece of art to sit on the shelf :LOL:

I don't think there's a sexier looking camera out there though (well, maybe the T70...)

:jawdrop:What!! ....Well perhaps it could have sex appeal if it was in the hands of a muscular, six packed, dark, handsome young man ........From what I've seen of Brian, I don't think he quite fits the criteria:exit::ROFLMAO:

Ahaha, to be fair it's a great camera and I love it usually, I've just got a couple problems with mine at the moment :p

I don't think there's a sexier looking camera out there though (well, maybe the T70...), so it's worth the money just as a piece of art to sit on the shelf :LOL:

Reminds me of my Tele Rollei...I only had it a month or so and the film wound straight through i.e. didn't stop at 1, took it back to Fox Talbot and they said they would fix it...went back after abouit a week and they said "all fixed" and I said "you better check it in front of me" and the film wound all the way through :rolleyes:...... on the spot I swopped it for a RB67 with 180mm lens and was glad to get rid of it.

:jawdrop:What!! ....Well perhaps it could have sex appeal if it was in the hands of a muscular, six packed, dark, handsome young man ........From what I've seen of Brian, I don't think he quite fits the criteria:exit::ROFLMAO:

Hey I've still got a full head of hair (and a hairy chest) :p

Plymouth, £50: https://www.gumtree.com/p/video-camera-accessories/collectable-cameras/1156655006

The Yashica Mat alone is worth £50 any day - it's got an original Bay 1 cap, and has a never ready case on it, so it's likely to be in good condition (although there's a risk of the shutter being sticky). View the other cameras (Exakta, Super Paxette, Dacora II) as a bonus.

So... a big thanks to @freecom2 (I think!), for the heads up here.
As my son lives in Plymouth, I asked him to pick these cameras up for me... and, a double bonus, he paid for them(I can have them for Mother's Day he said lol).
So, everyone here has spent a fun time pushing buttons and turning dials. (I'll need to read some manuals....). And boy, are they ever heavy!.

So... a big thanks to @freecom2 (I think!), for the heads up here.
As my son lives in Plymouth, I asked him to pick these cameras up for me... and, a double bonus, he paid for them(I can have them for Mother's Day he said lol).
So, everyone here has spent a fun time pushing buttons and turning dials. (I'll need to read some manuals....). And boy, are they ever heavy!.

Glad to hear people are enjoying the bargains! :woot:

Gloucs, Pentax SP500, Pentax M42 Takumar 55mm f/1.8, another M42 f/2.8 lens for £10:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/non-digital-cameras/pentax-sp500-incl-2-lenses-manual-and-case/1156948615

Apparently "the winding mechanism may need a little attention", but at a tenner it's worth it for the lens alone. Those Pentax SMC Takumars are great lenses.

Keep up the good work freecom2 as any bargains near me and I'm in.

Glad to hear people are enjoying the bargains! :woot:

Gloucs, Pentax SP500, Pentax M42 Takumar 55mm f/1.8, another M42 f/2.8 lens for £10:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/non-digital-cameras/pentax-sp500-incl-2-lenses-manual-and-case/1156948615

Apparently "the winding mechanism may need a little attention", but at a tenner it's worth it for the lens alone. Those Pentax SMC Takumars are great lenses.
Lol...well, it's kept me busy.
So far I think the Yashica Mat works, the shutter fires at all speeds, looks nice and clean, so it's got a roll of XP1 in.
The Exacta seems to do what it's supposed to.... need to try a roll in that...
Not sure about the Dacora.
The OrionWerk 9x12 'thingy', well the shutter works, lens looks ok...but I don't have a clue how the workings of the back work.

Lol...well, it's kept me busy.
So far I think the Yashica Mat works, the shutter fires at all speeds, looks nice and clean, so it's got a roll of XP1 in.
The Exacta seems to do what it's supposed to.... need to try a roll in that...
Not sure about the Dacora.
The OrionWerk 9x12 'thingy', well the shutter works, lens looks ok...but I don't have a clue how the workings of the back work.

It's a fun hobby, every camera is so different. Great to hear the Mat is in good order, the Yashinon lenses on them are excellent. I look forward to seeing some sample pictures!

Waterlooville, near Portsmouth, £30:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/non-digital-cameras/vintage-camera-and-lenses-etc/1157126682

There's a clean Pentax MX, attached to a Pentax zoom lens (one of the lower end ones, I reckon). But there's a number of lenses in this lot - on the left is almost certainly a Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5, and it has a filter on so front element is likely to be clean. The lens in front of the rocket blower is probably a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7, again with a filter, the third lens is a 3rd party zoom telephoto, and the lens on the far right is a Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8.

I believe the other camera in the case is an original Ilford Sportsman. The Pentax 28mm alone covers the price of the lot.

Waterlooville, near Portsmouth, £30:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/non-digital-cameras/vintage-camera-and-lenses-etc/1157126682

There's a clean Pentax MX, attached to a Pentax zoom lens (one of the lower end ones, I reckon). But there's a number of lenses in this lot - on the left is almost certainly a Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5, and it has a filter on so front element is likely to be clean. The lens in front of the rocket blower is probably a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7, again with a filter, the third lens is a 3rd party zoom telephoto, and the lens on the far right is a Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8.

I believe the other camera in the case is an original Ilford Sportsman. The Pentax 28mm alone covers the price of the lot.

I would buy those if near, but I'm not interested in getting gumtree stuff posted!

I would buy those if near, but I'm not interested in getting gumtree stuff posted!

Ditto, I'm too worried I'll end up getting stung! How do those of you who have bought items remotely on Gumtree keep safe?

Last edited:
Ditto, I'm too worried I'll end up getting stung! How do those of you who have bought items remotely on Gumtree keep safe?

Not bought anything yet on Gumtree ...Yet!

However I have made enquiries before, indeed quite recently, and after asking a host of questions, turned out that the kit in question was faulty, not that the seller made it evident in his advert.

Obviously to collect in person and check the item over is a better option but even then light entry or focus issues don't become apparent until after you have a film exposed / developed.

Either way it's a gamble.

If the seller has nothing or little to hide, he/she will answer your questions without hesitation.

The other altrnative is, if collecting in person, is to run a roll of film through the kit whilst with the seller ( possibly leave a deposit to "prove" your interest,) ensuring you receive a receipt!!), return home, dev it, check the results and then return to the seller to complete the purchase.

If he/she is confident that the equipment is faultless, then there is no reason why this option cannot be accepted by the seller.

I've never bought anything at a distance over Gumtree, as I always think that some SOB is going to fleece me of my hard earned money. I guess if you go through PayPal as a payment for goods rather than as a gift then you would be protected, but it still doesn't sit right with me!

Gumtree recommends face to face purchases. For some of the prices (eg that collection of Pentax kit) I reckon I could work out in a short inspection whether it's worth it. As FC2 suggested, you could probably get your money back selling off one of the lenses, and then have a spare MX that would at worst be worth a CLA...

Edit: BTW Gumtree appear to be owned by fleabay these days, but I suspect that makes no difference to the liability. It's always been a market for scammers, particularly rental property, IIRC!

Last edited:
Gumtree recommends face to face purchases. For some of the prices (eg that collection of Pentax kit) I reckon I could work out in a short inspection whether it's worth it. As FC2 suggested, you could probably get your money back selling off one of the lenses, and then have a spare MX that would at worst be worth a CLA...

Indeed, and it's Gumtree's insistence on face-to-face that puts me off - and would put off sellers from posting, and I can understand that (I get a fair number of enquiries asking if I can send items, and always decline).

The MX lot has sold, hopefully someone on here picked up a bargain?

Well I must have spent nearly £1000 on Gumtree sellers.......no problem if you can see before you buy and of course if you know how to test what you are buying...just another bootie to me

They're taking about getting items posted from Gumtree adverts and the added risk. With a booty you're looking at the items in your hands the same as collecting from a Gumtree advert.

Back on topic, I've bought quite a few things from gumtree that have been posted. I haven't bought anything of huge value but I'd use the same caution as eBay and ask for more photos and if something is too good to be true, walk away.

Don't you get the PayPal protection via Gumtree too? I'm pretty sure that you get buyer protection on any website or transaction as long as you pay through the goods and services option and not the gifts option

Don't you get the PayPal protection via Gumtree too? I'm pretty sure that you get buyer protection on any website or transaction as long as you pay through the goods and services option and not the gifts option
Possibly but I can't be ****d to read all the small print to find out:p:D

I'm not sure that PayPal protection necessarily applies for goods that are ultimately collected in person; I'd have to check on that.

I'm not sure that PayPal protection necessarily applies for goods that are ultimately collected in person; I'd have to check on that.

H'mm assuming the seller can\could or wanted to be paid by paypal .......for my deals in person, the seller was very happy with cash for obvious reasons.
But I suppose the best way would be to take a laptop or whatever, see the goods in person and agree the price and on the spot use paypal (well if you would be covered by paypal from your post)....I'm thinking about protection from buying stolen goods.
And the only way I'd deal in post without seeing the goods would be using the rule:- only pay what you can afford to lose if everything goes wrong, of course some bargains here are so cheap it's worth taking a gamble (by post).
My largest buy from Gumtree was for a £850 motorbike and it was essential to see the guy to see what sort of person he was and what house he had (I was impressed) inc other vehicles and did all checks on the history of the bike inc if it was stolen...... before buying for cash.

Last edited:
But I suppose the best way would be to take a laptop or whatever, see the goods in person and agree the price and on the spot use paypal (well if you would be covered by paypal from your post)....I'm thinking about protection from buying stolen goods.

Unfortunately, Brian, I've had a look at PayPal's user agreement (https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security) and, for the scenario you suggest, PayPal would offer no protection for items purchased in person.

For buyers, it explicitly says that 'Items like real estate, motorised vehicles (of any kind), custom-made items, industrial machinery (for manufacturing), prepaid cards, or items that violate our policies, anything you buy in person, or money transfers to friends or family" are 'not covered' under buyer protection.

For sellers, it explicitly states that 'items that don't match your description, intangible items like services or digital goods, items that violate our policies, and items you sell or deliver in person' are 'not covered' under seller protection.

Unfortunately, Brian, I've had a look at PayPal's user agreement (https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security) and, for the scenario you suggest, PayPal would offer no protection for items purchased in person.

For buyers, it explicitly says that 'Items like real estate, motorised vehicles (of any kind), custom-made items, industrial machinery (for manufacturing), prepaid cards, or items that violate our policies, anything you buy in person, or money transfers to friends or family" are 'not covered' under buyer protection.

For sellers, it explicitly states that 'items that don't match your description, intangible items like services or digital goods, items that violate our policies, and items you sell or deliver in person' are 'not covered' under seller protection.

H'mm interesting and confusing RJ as how would paypal know the transaction was "buy in person"....unless you had to produce receipts from the seller of postage. The other thing is:- are you covered by paying by paypal and then to collect the goods in person (which is sorta the same thing).

In other words .....the purchaser is "stuffed" :D

To be fair to PayPal, their "cover" has, for me anyway, proved beneficial on a couple of ebay purchases ....without it, resolving the problems would have been nigh on impossible with "difficult" sellers.

it's like any protection cover ( visa etc) there are limitations.

Thanks for clarifying the small print Rj (y)

In other words .....the purchaser is "stuffed" :D

To be fair to PayPal, their "cover" has, for me anyway, proved beneficial on a couple of ebay purchases ....without it, resolving the problems would have been nigh on impossible with "difficult" sellers.

it's like any protection cover ( visa etc) there are limitations.

Thanks for clarifying the small print Rj (y)

...and gumtree is owned by ebay and AFAIK ebay have a working relationship with paypal, So people are confident in buying from ebay with protection from paypal, yet seems a bit iffy for gumtree.

H'mm interesting and confusing RJ as how would paypal know the transaction was "buy in person"....unless you had to produce receipts from the seller of postage. The other thing is:- are you covered by paying by paypal and then to collect the goods in person (which is sorta the same thing).

They don't really know until there's a dispute and then you can't provide any proof you've sold or received the item, as, unlike with RM recorded delivery, there's no paper trail with items collected in person.

Back