Bargains Thread

The internet says varying things on 50/100/100F - I never found anything conclusive. I don't like shooting much landscapey stuff so I think I might actually give it a miss - 5 rolls of Velvia that are barely used for £9.99 or 5 rolls of well used Provia for £12.99 - I'll take the latter. Need to buy to shoot - and get my usage rate up, like Mark!

100F is higher contrast, a slightly muddier but still saturated palette.
I find even cool colours on 50 & 100 tainted with a warm wash.
The only thing not at the mercy of subjectivity is 100F's awesome reciprocity characteristics compared with 50 & 100..:)

Hi Psyence33, haha, the sun is making all of us here a bit bonkers! It's baking in the Lab!

No problem though, questions are always welcome, that's why I'm here! To clarify, the £10 deal includes everything -
Process (Cross Processing if you like, just pop a note in)
Mount (if you'd prefer them unmounted, just put a note in with the film.)
6x4 Prints
Scan to CD
Return Postage

When you get the film you'll find a little green envelope inside, just pop your exposed film in there with a cheque for a tenner, or your card details (cash isn't advised), take it to the post office and we'll do the rest!

Please note: A first class stamp will NOT cover the postage, you're best off taking it to the post office to get it checked.

If you choose not to send it back then I suppose you'll just have an exposed film... maybe you could use it as an ornament? The other thing of course is there are very few places left who process E6 slide film in house, so if you took it somewhere else they'd probably send it to us anyway and charge you more.

Hope this helps :)

Lol cheers for that! Well better make the most of the sun as next week is meant to be raining!

Total bargain... Been shooting like mad the past few days will give ccimaging a try!

And while on topic is there any other great deals which is not on the site? :clap:

Excellent, just ordered a few rolls. Thanks Jonathan.

Andy

Good spot Jonathan - I'm a big fan of Kentmere 400 - I find it has nicer grain in 1+50 Rodinal than HP5 (though 120 HP5 is lovely!). Not tried the 100, so am tempted to get some of both speeds.

Excellent, just nabbed a pack.

Andy

Was at an Aladdins cave today....went into the charity shop and the guy said he has boxes of camera stuff at the back and I can sort through all the boxes, well after about 30mins sorting, would you believe there wasn't anything I wanted. The Nikon and Canon etc AF SLRs looked lovely erm but all without lenses, underwater camera in a box, compact cameras Nah not interested, no Nikon etc lenses.
Well after putting all the boxes back I said to the guy "someone has beaten me to it and taken all the good stuff"

Lol I kind of dislike you for always posting ace deals and making my purse empty:LOL:

I'm not the only one guilty of posting :D

Looks like a lot of Acros is going to be shot soon, hope to see the results soon guys! I have more than enough Acros for myself already.

I'm not the only one guilty of posting :D

Looks like a lot of Acros is going to be shot soon, hope to see the results soon guys! I have more than enough Acros for myself already.

:) I know, I just can't resist bargains! Wish there's some good bw 35mm deals soon...

JonathanRyans link above has Kentmere 100 and 400 in 35mm for £1.99 - they are nice films!

:D Cheers I wasn't gunna get any cause of delivery charge (I know, cheap student here:LOL:)

But since its recommended i'll try a couple!!

P.S bit off topic but is it good for pushing?

Last edited:
:D Cheers I wasn't gunna get any cause of delivery charge (I know, cheap student here:LOL:)

But since its recommended i'll try a couple!!

P.S bit off topic but is it good for pushing?

Don't worry - the second I don't see delivery included, I run (y)

For pushing, depends what you look for in a film when pushed. Kentmere tends to be quite grainy at box speed already with most developers, so if you are looking for a relatively grain free film to be pushed I don't think it's suitable. Ideally you want a fine grain film to start with so that when the push introduces some grain, it's still within acceptable limits. I'd shoot some at box speed, and if you wanted a film to push I'd suggest Tri-X (for grainier results) or T-Max (for finer grain results).

Don't worry - the second I don't see delivery included, I run (y)

For pushing, depends what you look for in a film when pushed. Kentmere tends to be quite grainy at box speed already with most developers, so if you are looking for a relatively grain free film to be pushed I don't think it's suitable. Ideally you want a fine grain film to start with so that when the push introduces some grain, it's still within acceptable limits. I'd shoot some at box speed, and if you wanted a film to push I'd suggest Tri-X (for grainier results) or T-Max (for finer grain results).

Thanks for the advice! Was just thinking of doing some pushing for my next set of shots so was wondering if this can :D

Anyway keep those bargains coming cause I can never find any if it wasn't for here :)

Well not a bargain but reasonable (as the lomo crowd have invaded the bay) if you like Fuji Superia 200 @ £1.25 per roll, 24exp, OOD 2007 and stored in cold conditions

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330741518683?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Not to knock your find, but I reckon buying 10 rolls of AgfaPhoto Vista Plus 200, which is 36exp and dated till 05/2014 from Poundland is probably a better investment. They are made in Japan so they are certainly a Fujifilm of some sort. They may not be exactly Superia, but then again 5 year expired Superia isn't Superia either :D

Not to knock your find, but I reckon buying 10 rolls of AgfaPhoto Vista Plus 200, which is 36exp and dated till 05/2014 from Poundland is probably a better investment. They are made in Japan so they are certainly a Fujifilm of some sort. They may not be exactly Superia, but then again 5 year expired Superia isn't Superia either :D

erm I haven't seen that in poundland, but the last time I tried OOD Vista I wasn't impressed with the colours and I've just looked at my Agfa file and I had used one roll on two cameras with 5 lenses and no shots were sharp (work that one out but Ok it could be bad dev and scan from the supermarket).....but still might give the film another go.

If its a very cheap fujifilm CN ISO 200, isn't it likely to be the almost infamous C200?

erm I haven't seen that in poundland, but the last time I tried OOD Vista I wasn't impressed with the colours and I've just looked at my Agfa file and I had used one roll on two cameras with 5 lenses and no shots were sharp (work that one out but Ok it could be bad dev and scan from the supermarket).....but still might give the film another go.

It's a relatively recent addition to Poundland, but it's confirmed by multiple people.

See this discussion at flickr's I Shoot Film group:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/72157627192445157/72157629924685529/

(it's on AgfaPhoto Vista Plus 100, not 200, but I've linked to where the discussion on the Poundland film starts)

Agfa film has changed quite a bit depending on supplier. It used to be sourced from Ferrania, but now it's sourced from Fujifilm (the box says Made In Japan, it's in front of me).

If its a very cheap fujifilm CN ISO 200, isn't it likely to be the almost infamous C200?

The discussion on that thread I linked to goes deep into the film markings, codes and rebate numbers but doesn't hit any real conclusion.

As I said, 5 year old Superia isn't Superia any more...

***As I said, 5 year old Superia isn't Superia any more...***

Well I don't know what you mean, it's 4th layer stuff? Assuming it come out in 2005 (expired 2007) did it change in 7 years? Anyway I know of no other as I have never bought 2012 Superia 200 as I haven't run out of old stuff yet...
hey does that mean my fantastic shots with old superia would look even better with the new stuff :)

Sorry for being a bit vague by that - the point I was making was that once a film starts expiring and degrading, it doesn't perform at its optimum and as a result you won't get the results of fresh stuff. Sure, you'll get close (I am shooting recently expired Provia and Neopan in two cameras at the moment), but because you are shooting degraded Superia it is going to be more like a cheap Fujifilm emulsion anyway.

***As I said, 5 year old Superia isn't Superia any more...***

Well I don't know what you mean, it's 4th layer stuff? Assuming it come out in 2005 (expired 2007) did it change in 7 years? Anyway I know of no other as I have never bought 2012 Superia 200 as I haven't run out of old stuff yet...
hey does that mean my fantastic shots with old superia would look even better with the new stuff :)

Great find! :)

Off topic: I agree, I love expired stuff since its more vintage like and film, the fresh stuff I can achieve with Digital minus the negative and experience etc. but that's not the point.

I'd say expired coloured film FTW plus sometimes they work just as good as the fresh stuff unless ur a pro critic that notices everything :D

P.S And it's not because I'm cheap (maybe a little...) :D :D :D

Last edited:
Sorry for being a bit vague by that - the point I was making was that once a film starts expiring and degrading, it doesn't perform at its optimum and as a result you won't get the results of fresh stuff. Sure, you'll get close (I am shooting recently expired Provia and Neopan in two cameras at the moment), but because you are shooting degraded Superia it is going to be more like a cheap Fujifilm emulsion anyway.

Well if any tiny colour shift then Photoshop is your friend :)
But I find professional films are the problem as they should be used fresh, and :crying: you weren't impressed with my RB67 shots using maybe 14 year old Fuji 100 film :crying:

edit: I can't find them so here they are again:-

RB67, 65mm, film over 12 years old
rb675.jpg

RB67, 65mm or 180mm, film over 12 years old
rb67-1000px.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say expired coloured film FTW plus sometimes they work just as good as the fresh stuff unless ur a pro critic that notices everything :D

P.S And it's not because I'm cheap (maybe a little...) :D :D :D

The thing is, the alternative I'm recommending is 20% cheaper...

Well if any tiny colour shift then Photoshop is your friend :)
But I find professional films are the problem as they should be used fresh, and :crying: you weren't impressed with my RB67 shots using maybe 14 year old Fuji 100 film :crying:

I'm not saying that expired film isn't great and fixable and perfectly usable and whatever else, just that an in date Fuji consumer emulsion for £1 or a 5 year out of date Fuji consumer emulsion for £1.25 - I think it's madness to go for the latter. Especially since it doesn't put any new money into film.

(additionally, I was at Mr Cad relatively recently and I'm not convinced it was cold stored, but that's another story for another day)

****(additionally, I was at Mr Cad relatively recently and I'm not convinced it was cold stored, but that's another story for another day)***

erm Many moons ago I bought a grey import lens off him, saved me quite bit of money at the time.

The thing is, the alternative I'm recommending is 20% cheaper...

I'm not saying that expired film isn't great and fixable and perfectly usable and whatever else, just that an in date Fuji consumer emulsion for £1 or a 5 year out of date Fuji consumer emulsion for £1.25 - I think it's madness to go for the latter. Especially since it doesn't put any new money into film.

(additionally, I was at Mr Cad relatively recently and I'm not convinced it was cold stored, but that's another story for another day)

Ah I get you now! £1 shop same thing as £1.25 eBay with essentially the same film unexpired :D sorry misunderstanding
Never buy from Mr Cad they conned me last time not deliberately but the did, gave me used stuff instead of new.

Ah I get you now! £1 shop same thing as £1.25 eBay with essentially the same film unexpired :D sorry misunderstanding
Never buy from Mr Cad they conned me last time not deliberately but the did, gave me used stuff instead of new.

erm It's not been proved that the film (Agfa) in Poundland is Fuji superia, the only way I would find out is to buy some and compare.
In the link Freecom2 posted, it was suggested that Fuji batch test production runs and in my words:- the 2nds (downgraded) are flogged off to distributors as Agfa maybe it's already been happening with C200 or Fujicolor or whatever, maybe similar to what happens with CPU's.

It's all hearsay from that thread really, I just wanted to link to it since it was the most indepth discussion on AgfaPhoto Vista Plus on the net that I know of. If you are spending £1-1.25 on an emulsion you aren't looking for absolutely stunning results anyway, so why not go for the one that is fresh and cheaper?!

Samantha, no worries, I get stuff mixed up all the time trying to follow posts in threads.

The results that people have been posting in that thread look no worse (in fact IMO they are on par with the other consumer grade emulsions) than any Superia I've shot...

***If you are spending £1-1.25 on an emulsion you aren't looking for absolutely stunning results anyway***

Well they are stunning to me :) Anyway with people turning to digital it would be a shame for millions of rolls of film to be thrown in the bin just for the reason to force people to buy new stock, best to give some to me and the rest sold on the bay :)

I'm kinda not down with poundland film, I mean I think you should buy the best film you can afford for the purpose.
Ok if the job is "does this camera work", then its perfect, but other than that I can't imagine using it for anything else.
Even an off the cuff expedition will see me guessing what there will be to shoot and choosing a sympathetic film from my list.....poundland film ain't on the list.

I'm kinda not down with poundland film, I mean I think you should buy the best film you can afford for the purpose.
Ok if the job is "does this camera work", then its perfect, but other than that I can't imagine using it for anything else.
Even an off the cuff expedition will see me guessing what there will be to shoot and choosing a sympathetic film from my list.....poundland film ain't on the list.

That's fair enough John, there's cheap emulsions and expensive emulsions to suit all budgets and tastes really. I'm glad there is still a wide enough range for that to be the case.

Personally I have no issue with using relatively cheap colour film for 35mm work since that tends to be "family and friends" which is what most of these emulsions were designed for anyway - the spending on Portra goes on medium format Portra :)

The film from Mr Cad advertised as superia turned out to be C200 and I'm claiming my money back. :(

The film from Mr Cad advertised as superia turned out to be C200 and I'm claiming my money back. :(

Told you Mr Cad was a con :( They conned me a while back by giving me USED stuff when paying for new then refused a refund.:crying:

p.s good luck getting your money back :(

That's a shame, hopefully you'll get your money back Brian - eBay can be quite good to buyers, although the nuances of C200 vs. Superia might be lost on the eBay gods :(

Back