Bargains Thread

well not equipment but related.
got a load of old magazines and books during a clear out. I am still looking throught them but here are a few of the ones that I thought could be really interesting and great as an addition to any collector or just as a little bit of history.

Hasselblad book set by lensworxphotography, on Flickr

Kodak-vol-1 by lensworxphotography, on Flickr

Ive just found the 2nd and 3rd Volume of the Kodak guides as well ;-)

just looking at some of the images is fantastic.

My rocky camera order has been dispatched, looking forward to getting it soon. On another note, looks like 7dayshop has higher prices to go along with its new site. :(

My rocky camera order has been dispatched, looking forward to getting it soon. On another note, looks like 7dayshop has higher prices to go along with its new site. :(

Just noticed that myself :(.

New website - slower and clunkier, and higher prices.

Winning formula....:nono:

****ing hell! £10.99 for a 35mm Provia 400X? Thats a hugh increase over what it was last time I looked there, it was 'only' £8.99! £8.99 for Portra 400 135?? Plus £5.79 for 35mm Tri-X is just really pushing it even with 'free' delivery, unless its a really good price I don't thing I'll be getting my films there again when considering that I can get Tri-X for £4.36 from Calumet on Amazon and if I order several films at once from Discount Films Direct or similar I can actually save money as its worth the slight extra for the postage.

Worth remembering 7Dayshop and other Channel Islands companies have been hit with a VAT increase this year after the government ended a loophole which rendered <£15 shipments VAT free. Blame the coalition not the retailers.

Worth remembering 7Dayshop and other Channel Islands companies have been hit with a VAT increase this year after the government ended a loophole which rendered <£15 shipments VAT free. Blame the coalition not the retailers.

We'd already seen an increase to account for that (in April), after which they were still pretty competitive. This is an unrelated price hike.

Unless they get some of their deals back up then these prices will be the death of their film business in my opinion, even with their 'free' postage.

I can get Tri-X for £4.36 from Calumet on Amazon and if I order several films at once from Discount Films Direct or similar I can actually save money as its worth the slight extra for the postage.[/QUOTE said:
Tri-X 35 mm £3-69 from Speedgraphic plus P/P £2-95 up to £30-00

C

Tri-X 35 mm £3-69 from Speedgraphic plus P/P £2-95 up to £30-00

C

Thats £4.36 inc postage from Calumet, I don't usually go through film at massive rates and like to experiment so theres not much point in me ordering massive amounts although I am starting to standadise on Tri-X and APX-100 as my B&W films as their both fairly reasonably priced and I like the results from both of them.

There's a couple of ex-police RB67s going in Devon on the Bumblebee auctions at the moment (well, three bodies and two lenses plus three prosm finders all split across two lots) - Link

I find that for the cheapest film I go to jessops (no, I don't believe it either!) and take advantage of their 3 for 2 offer that seems to be on all the time. For Ilford HP5plus I buy 3 at £6 each, which comes to £12, meaning £4 each a roll of film (36 exposures 35mm).

Does anyone know any cheaper methods of buying black and white film? I'm not necessarily only interested in HP5, I will try others just as long as they are cheap? I have also bought poundshop C41 film and developed it in B&W chemicals at home and it's come out alright, it seems to be the cheapest option but honestly I prefer the contrast and tone in "real" black and white film!

Last edited:
I've found the 7-Day Shop sales to be good for b/w film, I tend to buy in bulk when they come up.

7dayshops prices seem to have dropped back to what they were, which is good as their certainly more reasonable.

If anyone lives near a branch of Calumet some of their film prices are quite reasonable if you order online and select to pick up from store - I've just done that with some T-MAX 400 35mm for £3.79.

I find that for the cheapest film I go to jessops (no, I don't believe it either!) and take advantage of their 3 for 2 offer that seems to be on all the time. For Ilford HP5plus I buy 3 at £6 each, which comes to £12, meaning £4 each a roll of film (36 exposures 35mm).

Does anyone know any cheaper methods of buying black and white film? I'm not necessarily only interested in HP5, I will try others just as long as they are cheap? I have also bought poundshop C41 film and developed it in B&W chemicals at home and it's come out alright, it seems to be the cheapest option but honestly I prefer the contrast and tone in "real" black and white film!

Buy bulk film and a loader?

MartynK said:
Buy bulk film and a loader?

I've got a bulk loader and reusable cassettes
for sale in the classifieds :D

There's an XPan on ebay (180957054014) for under £800 :eek:

If I didn't have the X100 I'd jump *very* high to get this - way cheap and all that time I spent looking too!

Last edited:
fp-100c at 7.50 from amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B007ZBIQQW/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Judging from the reviews don't know whether it is expired or not or in original packaging.

I bought a couple of packs at that price a couple of weeks ago (the price has now gone back up on the link you gave), not put one in a camera yet. It didn't have the cardboard outer and there's no date on the foil pack. Likely to be expired stock at that price. I'll put a pack in the 250 when the current pack ends.

7DS sometimes have short-dated/expired instant.

Not so long ago I was paying £16 for 5 Ektachrome Pro 160 ASA and still complaining :shrug:

*edit - oops :D

Last edited:
I bought a couple of packs at that price a couple of weeks ago (the price has now gone back up on the link you gave), not put one in a camera yet. It didn't have the cardboard outer and there's no date on the foil pack. Likely to be expired stock at that price. I'll put a pack in the 250 when the current pack ends.

7DS sometimes have short-dated/expired instant.

Oops, posted the wrong link, is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Gl...LLYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345651886&sr=8-1

Got the fp100c today, was not packed in original box, just foil. Bit naughty, will test a pack.

I got myself a Nikon F80 for what I though would be for parts off evil Bay for 13 quid (including delivery). It was quoted to have broken film sensor so would not advance the film loaded. True, it was like that and it seemed in some kind of error state - so I loaded the film and it was no go. Then in trying various things I pressed two button forceful rewind and voila - it rewound the film back and was out of the stupor. Not it fully works - all bits inside looking like the camera has not been used at all. This has to be a bargain of the year surely!!!

13 squids is definitely a bargain for an F80, top camera.

Andy

Expired 5 packs of 120 film in Velvia 100f, X-tra 400 at £10 at fujilab. Also expired 20 sheet packs of Pro 160NS and Velvia 100 in 4x5 at £45.

Shame about their delivery charge, that's definitely a bulk purchase rather than a few bits and bobs!

Sainsburys in Oxford were clearing out their 3-packs of Kodak Gold 200. 49p per pack! I got the last 3 in the one in the Westgate Centre. Could be worth checking out elsewhere - that's cheaper than poundland specials by a factor of 6 :)

Guess so, going to try ordering some later :) You need to enter the discount code on the link.

Last edited:
Just bought a whole load of Agfaphoto Vista plus 200 from Poundland.

I did get a strange look from the shop assistant when I asked how much it was as there was no price on it.:)

Last edited:
I bought 5 rolls a couple of weeks ago but haven't run any of then through a camera yet.

Just bought a whole load of Agfaphoto Vista plus 200 from Poundland.

I did get a strange look from the shop assistant when I asked how much it was as there was no price on it.:)

I'm getting good results from it, dunno about results in dull weather or night shots...well worth £1

Agfa Vista from Poundland
Canon28mmf28-1000px.jpg

Agfa Vista from poundland erm looks like Asda increased the saturation in the scan.
Canon28mmf2-81000px.jpg

excalibur2 said:
I'm getting good results from it, dunno about results in dull weather or night shots...well worth £1

Agfa Vista from Poundland

Agfa Vista from poundland erm looks like Asda increased the saturation in the scan.

Like the colour rendition especially in the second. What did you shoot it with.

Fancy having an experiment with film at some point.

Ordered with 10% discount yesterday afternoon, free delivery. Received this morning just now. Impressed, that is the fastest I have ever received of them.

Think this will be because they are now UK based rather than Channel Islands - all down to the VAT dodging these companies used to do:thinking:

Like the colour rendition especially in the second. What did you shoot it with.

Fancy having an experiment with film at some point.

Come and join us, no harm will come to you...mwah ha ha haaa

Think this will be because they are now UK based rather than Channel Islands - all down to the VAT dodging these companies used to do:thinking:

Think your right, its got a UK return address on the package. Quite surprised they manage to still sell as cheapest price with free delivery.

Back