Bargains Thread

I got 6 rolls of poundland film, 3x Kodacolour 200 and 3x Agfa Vista 200 for £5... not quite sure how that works :shrug:

The Agfa Vista 200 is apparently Fujicolor 200 - I'm eager to try it out when I get the chance, it's definitely a Fujifilm for a £1 and that's just fine with me :)

I've heard that its the same stuff that they used to produce before Agfa went under, if it is C200 then whats the 400 speed version or is there a difference between Vista + 200/400 and straight Vista?

squishy said:
Haha, it'll be interesting to see whether I dodged a bullet or missed a bargain.

It's the latter, I reckon. At first I thought it was a bullet - seemed to be defaulting to one speed. Turns out battery in compartment was dead, so I put in the makeshift 4xLR44 and it sprung to life! Rangefinder patch is clearer and more contrary than my minty GSN.

The only thing I'm trying to work out is whether it is suffering from Pad of Death. It does make a clear clunking sound when advancing the film lever, but the YouTube clips don't have high quality audio so it is difficult to discern!

Hmm, lens has a spot of what looks to be fungus I think. It could be dust... but fungus seems a bit more likely. Ahh well!

The only thing I'm trying to work out is whether it is suffering from Pad of Death. It does make a clear clunking sound when advancing the film lever, but the YouTube clips don't have high quality audio so it is difficult to discern!

I have a GT (also bought from Oxfam for about the same price, coincidentally) which made a noise I thought was the Pad of Death. Does it clunk about 10% of the way through advaning the film? Mine did that for a long time, now sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. But it doesn't seem to make any difference to how it performs (maybe it's on it's way out or maybe it's loosening up).

I think shooting with no film and getting a good impression that the shutter speed is changing as you'd expect means it's currently working - I believe the Pad of Death's primary effect is preventing the meter from being reactivated after cocking the shutter.

offline - yeah, I think the clunk is uniform across the Electro's, supposedly it is just the specific noise the clunk makes that differentiates. The shutter speeds seem to be working, holding the shutter open when necessary for the given f/stop, although it is hanging on f/16 and f/16 only - I reckon the pad might be beginning to go on this one. It sounds exactly the same as my GTN though. Oh Yashica...

EDIT: clunk is good, according to this thread which is pretty informative: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66696

The user also wrote that he reckons a 50/50 chance of a GTN/GSN having a deteriorated pad.

Last edited:
I'm slowly getting up to speed on film prices....

£13 for a 5 pack of 120 Velvia 100 seems good - http://www.amazon.co.uk/FujiFilm-Fu...ERX0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337589014&sr=8-4

It's a seller I've dealt with before and there have been very fast and professional to deal with. However, it MAY be short dated - I'm sure I read somewhere that it was May 2012 expiry.

If you prefer eBay it's on there too - same seller/same price ;)

It's a seller I've dealt with before and there have been very fast and professional to deal with. However, it MAY be short dated - I'm sure I read somewhere that it was May 2012 expiry.

It says it here about short dated. Its the same seller I referred to a couple times already in this thread (though on eBay site of his). He is very reliable and thanks to him I stoked up my freezer with Velvia and Kodak slides and negatives for at least some time to come :). He is definitely recommended.

Talking of Fuji in supermarkets, I've heard about Morrisons selling Fuji Superia 400 for cheap - anyone know anymore on this? (no Morrisons near me)

They were selling Superia for about £1.50 when I briefly popped into a Morrisons about 2 and half months ago, don't know about now though.

jaz-uk currently selling 5 roll 120 packs of Provia 100/Provia 400X for £12.99 as well, short-dated. Just bought a pack of Provia myself to try - cheap slide film is a rarity and a disappearing commodity so thought I might as well!

And they send you another roll when you dev... so maybe 2 rolls and 1 dev/scan/print for tenner?

Thanks to the OP for posting this (y)

And they send you another roll when you dev... so maybe 2 rolls and 1 dev/scan/print for tenner?

My interpretation of the offer is that for £10 you get the initial roll of slide film, send it back to them for mounting, printing and scanning and they will send a second film to you but that will not attach the same deal? :shrug:

Looking forward to getting my free roll as I've never shot using slide film before :)

Thanks for the clarification Chris, and welcome to TP. Great to hear from the labs directly.

Also... good luck getting the 35mm roll into the medium format Mamiya :LOL:

Small world Jonathan... hahaha.

Post has been dispatched for today. So everyone who has applied for a free film before 2pm today, yours is on its way to you.

I'm putting a small guide on loading 35mm film into a 120 back on the website. Should be up soon, so I'll post a link when it's there. The results are great and it means you can get full area of the film, including the sprockets.

The good news is that we can also print the full film too, and cross process for you Lomo-philes (that a word?)

Stay tuned!

The good news is that we can also print the full film too, and cross process for you Lomo-philes (that a word?)

Probably a dirty one here, certain members turn green and grow to twice their normal size when the lomo word is mentioned! ;) Looking forward to the film and your processing, I have not run any colour film through my Rolleiflex yet.

Hi Chris, thanks for your comments. I have signed up for this as well so looking forward to it arriving. Deal seems good so I will most likely be using your services, lets just hope I can take some decent pictures! :D

Nice :)

Out of interest - what do you do at the end of the roll? Dismantle the back in the dark and wind it back into the spool?

If you have the facility to do that then yes, that is the only downside to it.

Alternatively if any of you trying it are local, pop it in to us and we'll do that part for you.

It's also worth remembering that because 35mm is a different frame size to 120 (obviously), you've got to bear that in mind when winding the film on. I go with roughly one and a half turns. It can be a little wasteful as you get gaps between frames but it's a cool effect. The main thing is just to have fun with it and if you've got any questions, give me a buzz, the number is on the website.

Hi Chris, thanks for your comments. I have signed up for this as well so looking forward to it arriving. Deal seems good so I will most likely be using your services, lets just hope I can take some decent pictures! :D

Great news! Thanks! It's a great to see so many are still loving and using film! We've had a massive response to the offer so it's wise to get one while you can, before we run out!

I've sent off for one as well :)

Cross processing included in the "£10 package deal"?

Also what does the £10 package deal includes? (think I've missed it:thinking:) I.e postage, dev, print etc. :)

And out of curiosity, not trying to sabotage anything :nuts:, what if i get the film and don't send it back? Guess it'll be missing out on the offer and no new film? :p
Apologies if I sound stupid, the sun is making me weird :)

Me too, loving the 35mm film in a 120 back idea, seems like a lot of fun in Heath Robinson kind of way :D

ccimaging said:
No problem though, questions are always welcome, that's why I'm here! To clarify, the £10 deal includes everything -
Process (Cross Processing if you like, just pop a note in)
Mount (if you'd prefer them unmounted, just put a note in with the film.)
6x4 Prints
Scan to CD
Return Postage

When you get the film you'll find a little green envelope inside, just pop your exposed film in there with a cheque for a tenner, or your card details (cash isn't advised), take it to the post office and we'll do the rest!

Please note: A first class stamp will NOT cover the postage, you're best off taking it to the post office to get it checked.

Hope this helps :)

Super deal, just read a report on the scanner you use. Top stuff.

I've just finished a coupla rolls. Getting them in the post....

Every single colour picture I've ever posted on the interwebz except kodachromes, was souped at CC, never had a failure, always on time, staff always helpful.
In fact, what with that and my promo work here, I dunno why I aren't on the payroll....:D.

CC.....you need to start selling film in the shop, lots of peeps like me, like walk-in developing and would buy film there if it was available, yeah I've seen the fridge full but it doesn't look on sale.
Where can I walk-in and buy 120 100F ??, Jessops are like my arse.

I bought the jaz-uk Provia because I thought I'd get more use out of it... (more versatile for what I want)... but it would be rude not to relieve 7dayshop at that price! Thanks for the heads-up.

They also have 5 pack Velvia 50 for £10.99, if you prefer the slower Velvia. Medium format can be wonderful...

Aw, If I was actually shooting anymore I'd have been on that like a Tramp on Chips...

As it stands, and at my current usage rate, the big box in the freezer will run out of 120 around 2056, and 35mm in 2075... I doubt if I'll last that long!

I bought the jaz-uk Provia because I thought I'd get more use out of it... (more versatile for what I want)... but it would be rude not to relieve 7dayshop at that price! Thanks for the heads-up.

unfortunately its missing a vital element.......an F

I've used it but it looks too much like double speed 50 to me, nothing like 100F...:(

Back