BBC, My photos, and a bullet hole in my foot.

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

Erm. Dunno how to write this. BBC have asked for permission to use my LAW hospital photos in a gallery on their site, and I agreed as thought it would be great to reach such a massive audience. I got two phonecalls this morning asking about the hobby, how I enjoyed the photoshoot, who i took them with, asked about my Camera etc. Just asking the kind of questions you might expect...

The 3rd phonecall however was different. I was pushed on how I felt about the security of the place, the fact that X rays were available for me to see, I was asked how I would feel if Kids were able to access the site. Asked all the questions which can only throw a negative light onto Urban Exploration.

After the phonecall, I called the guy who originally called me back raising my concerns, and he has confirmed a story will be airing tomorrow morning, nationally, on TV, Radio the web, and the story is to feature the NHS and it's security failures at the site. He says its in the public interest and should come out.

I feel like a mug, and I apologise for being so stupid.

Gary.

Live and learn mate. No major worries, you were just being you. (y)

I submitted one for their "Scotland photo of the week" where they normally show a dozen or so sent in, which resulted in the contact.

Oooh you are sooo on the MI6 hit list!

I don't think photography is the issue here, it's one of secruity and tbh although it's very nice to be able to photograph these places, they should be secure...Like you have stated, they're not nice places for kids to be playing.

Hey, if I get arrested, keep in touch via Saughton!!!

Don't worry if it was a criminal offence, that week long drama on the beeb last week showed how easy it is to get a phone up:eek: sorry in;)

I don't think photography is the issue here, it's one of secruity and tbh although it's very nice to be able to photograph these places, they should be secure...Like you have stated, they're not nice places for kids to be playing.

Well to be fair, that's up to the parents to instill a duty of care and common sense into their children ;)

It would seem unfair for you to be actually supllying them with info just to lock you up, It's like if it wasn't for you in the first place they wouldn't have known to charge you.

Therefore i think you will be fine :)

where can we see these photos Gary??

Apparently (after a Google) the Trespass Act Scotland 1865 and an amendment about 5 years ago it can result in a court appearance and fine

Well to be fair, that's up to the parents to instill a duty of care and common sense into their children ;)

What I'm saying is Marcel, I don't think the BBC are really that interested in the photography aspect of the story, more likely the secruity and safety issues and the goverment's failings on the subject I suspect.

Edit: and they are great photographs btw Gary.

Yeaaaaah!

DRUNK_KID_FREE_1190931428.jpg

LOL I do get what you're saying, but I have a feeling the BBC are going for a ratings grabber rather than a proper public interest story.

Nought to notoriety in one shoot, you can't buy that kind of publicity mate. I just wonder how all the established urban explorer photographers will take to this new media hungry upstart. ;);)

that's quite devious - would like to think they would have explained the context in which they intended to use your shots before asking your permission!

so are you doing it as a freebee, or have they offered a fat cash reward?

I'd be after atleast 100 Scottish pounds for each week of your sentence :D

Gary, I can see some good prison shots coming up, would suit HDR treatment

btw, how did the BBC find these photo's in the first place, or did I miss that bit?

You missed it :) I sent one photo in for the "Scotland in pictures" weekly selection...

Gary.

Don't worry about it. The security is crap on most old NHS properties or the security is the ones doing or allowing the copper thieves onto the sites.
It is not just the NHS an explore was done of the old Wigan police HQ and there was still arrest records, photos and evidence in there just lying about. This has happened in a few other places.
You know that urbexers that are worth their salt will find a way in.

I vote for changing the text under Gary's name to "TPF's Most Wanted!" :LOL: :D

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Understand the excitement you felt at the time Gary, but a lesson learnt, you have to be very careful these days talking to the press/tv/radio as all they are interested in is a story it does not matter to them who gets hurt,........or jailed:LOL:

Back