BBC, My photos, and a bullet hole in my foot.

I'm fine, looking forward to my next urban shoot! :D Gonna be sooner than everyone thinks too ;)

Phew....... Gary, after 3 attempts I have finally read all of this, it has been quite an emotional roller coaster for you and I am pleased to see you are feeling ok about the whole issue now and looking forward to your next urban shoot, .(y)
Best wishes, Mal.

Will have a look on 28 lol. although I'm not a member on there.

Sometimes I take pictures of places I've explored, sometimes not. But with how the demolishing of historic buildings is going in this country at the moment, I've now started taking the camera out with me everywhere. Otherwise it won't have been recorded. I like to show my girls pictures of places that have now gone.

There was a lovely (although very derelict and idiots had been in loads of times setting fire to it grrrrrrrrr!!!!!) stone mill in Mansfield. Bath Mill, (it's former name (and correct one) was Goldie, Wade and Goldie Ltd. Took my other half (he's into derelict buildings and photography too lol) down to have a look at it. There was security on the building, but obviously he wasn't doing a very good job, as it was set on fire yet again, and was so bad it had to be demolished. Now there's an uproar in Mansfield between the council, mayor, locals, historians about who was to blame for not protecting the building better.

I wish I'd have had the foresight to have a camera with me years ago, when the old Butlin's Filey camp closed. Had been going up there for 20 years, around 3 times a year, and just walking around the camp watching it get more and more derelict as time went on. And all the other holiday camps that have now closed and have tiny box sized houses on them. :(

:) Sal

ps. cheers for the link.

i've been following the ups and downs of this thread and have already voiced my thoughts (yay gary!) . i had never heard of urbex and went on to one of their sites. There are some images of a "mental Asylum" where i trained a a nurse for the mentally handicaped 25 years ago which has been closed down for over 10years. For me it was fascinating to see the placed where I lived on site for 4 years of my life alongside hundreds of "mentally handicapped" people. It was a big part of my growing up and so despite a minority out there that give the hobby a bad name and grief to my forum mate, I am gratefull that someone has been out there shooting for posterity.
Thanks urban sickness for sharing your pics:)

Thanks for all the support guys, yesterday was manic, sleeping has helped put things in perspective!!! :D

Gary.

Goes without saying that I'm 100% behind you mate, thankfully the story was tucked away in the middle of the red tops today and the BBC have dropped it from there news bulletins!

I don't think anything wrong was done, any keyboard warriors sending threats need to take a look at themselves!

For the record, I drove past the site this morning and security looks no different to what it was last week!

Where we going next? :LOL:

Dave

Urban Exploration is dedicated to taking photographs of our history and heritage, before they are lost forever.

Please don't insult us by using that as a justification to trespass on private property.

Images tucked away on small niche websites have nothing to do with saving our history or heritage.

hope gary can try and get things back to normal.

think this is turning into people slagging of urbexing

if u dont like it dont do it, simple as that really.

it is documenting abandoed places before they are lost forever , people find it interesting when they see them,epesially people like 'bidden' who has found places they use to work.

Not everybody goes by the rules of 'take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints' but thats there problem if it turns into something legally.
we are not all chavs, infact some of us report chavs damaging places.

Please don't insult us by using that as a justification to trespass on private property.

Images tucked away on small niche websites have nothing to do with saving our history or heritage.

just a few quotes from various authorities. Take note of the last one.

* The Health and Safety Executive said this is not something we get involved in. We only deal with places of work.

* Kent Police said it's not a criminal offence.

* The Environment Agency said it's not something they would get involved in.

* Kent Fire Brigade said it would only concern them if fires were being started.

* The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings say that you have to commend these people.

* Save Britain's Heritage says that it has had a few of its sites visited by these groups and they have provided them with great pictures via their websites.

I'm not slagging urbexing at all but just feel that some of the wording used is trying to make it more than it is. My opinion.

I'm happy for people to take interesting images but personally don't consider a dingy dirty derelict office in a hospital or any other modern building a part of our heritage.

After all if we did not know where it was taken it could be anywhere.

I could mess up my garage and get the same effect.

never heard of urbexers till today,maybe you should put notices up in all your "properties"

urbexers only ,normal people please keep out,,

also a quote i forgot

a source at English Heritage said he actually uses Urban Explorer websites for more information about locations he's having difficulty getting permission to enter himself.

also a quote i forgot

a source at English Heritage said he actually uses Urban Explorer websites for more information about locations he's having difficulty getting permission to enter himself.

And?

Remember I'm not getting at what you do just why,the photography is enough of a reason, you don't need anonymous sources.

In case you have misread the first time, and the second time (if you actually bothered to read it :|) I'll clarify for you again what tresspass actually means, in Law :|

Tresspass is a civil offence, not a criminal one. You can only be sued (not prosecuted) by the landowner and no one else, whatever they may say. That is the law.

Are you telling me that you've never, ever wondered what's over there? or

even gone to have a look at something maybe you shouldn't? I doubt that very much. Everyone is inquisitive at some point in their lives.

Strangely enough, there are thousands and thousands of people who do exactly the same thing as I do. Google Urban Exploration and you'll find all the websites that are dedicated to UE.

FYI, the reason I am into UE is to document history and heritage. Take the Clipstone Headstocks, New Clipstone, Nottinghamshire. They are the second highest headstocks in the world. The local councillor wants to get them de-listed so they can be demolished. I'm one of the hundreds of people that want them to stay and actively campaign to save them. And that's only one of a few things.

Whatever other peoples reasons are for UE, that is my reason. I don't break into sites, I walk in through open windows and open doors, as do other likeminded people. I am also a law student, so know exactly what my rights are, as do other people. Breaking and entering is a criminal offence, tresspass is not.

Does that make it any clearer?

I'm not slagging urbexing at all but just feel that some of the wording used is trying to make it more than it is. My opinion.

I'm happy for people to take interesting images but personally don't consider a dingy dirty derelict office in a hospital or any other modern building a part of our heritage.

i completely agree that a skanky office cant be classed as heritage, but looking at the bigger picture.
look at the other sites we visit, the ww2 and cold war buildings, most cold war stuff is being destroyed, for instance the norwich no.6 group HQ from the cold war was demolished last week.
It cant be replaced, that piece of history is gone. only a few pictures exist.

The mental asylums were pioneers in medical treatment and unique institutions, although you might not think that now, very few are left, most are completely demolished some are converted.

our history is disappearing by the secound, id like to record it before its gone, so in the future people can see how it used to be.

Exactly Urban Sickness. A lot of the former Asylums like Cane Hill, the Epsom Cluster, High Royds, Severalls etc, have either disappeared or been converted. Most of the Epsom Cluster has been demolished, and now has houses on the site. Cane Hill is currently in the process of being demolished, (Hope Admin, Chapel and a few other buildings are saved), High Royds, a beautiful building, with oak panelling, extensive victorian tiles, now has houses around the site, parts of the former hospital are to be demolished, other parts converted into upmarket apartments.

Too much of our history is being lost, without anything to tell people what was there, or what the buildings were used for. Just demolished and the tiny boxes put up in there place.

They are not all Modern buildings. Its scandalous the number of grade "A" listed building left to Rot and fall down out there. When they are gone thats it all you will have are urban explorers photos to go on.

well i was to slow and see others have replied already :D

In case you have misread the first time, and the second time (if you actually bothered to read it ) I'll clarify for you again what tresspass actually means, in Law

Tresspass is a civil offence, not a criminal one. You can only be sued (not prosecuted) by the landowner and no one else, whatever they may say. That is the law.

In my last posts I have not even mentioned civil or criminal so perhaps you did not read my posts.;)

In a much earlier post I did however mention that under SCOTTISH LAW people had been prosecuted in order to assist in the winding up of Gary that was taking place before the urbex people started threatening him

Are you telling me that you've never, ever wondered what's over there? or

even gone to have a look at something maybe you shouldn't? I doubt that very much. Everyone is inquisitive at some point in their lives.

Of course I've wondered, but was brought up to respect rights civil or otherwise.

I don't trespass on other peoples property,. Never. Notwithstanding some clearances required for some of the work I undertake would be under threat with even a trepass.

FYI, the reason I am into UE is to document history and heritage. Take the Clipstone Headstocks, New Clipstone, Nottinghamshire. They are the second highest headstocks in the world. The local councillor wants to get them de-listed so they can be demolished. I'm one of the hundreds of people that want them to stay and actively campaign to save them. And that's only one of a few things.

Now that is Historical, a knackered Hospital is not.

Perhaps I should start walking into places through open windows and see what happens:)

In fact going to take dogs for a walk and keep an eye out for windows:)

We also keep an eye on the Buildings at Risk registers as well. Then take pictures and pass them onto the local councils, and English Heritage etc.

A lot of us also kept getting up to date photographs of the former Derby Hippodrome. Mr Christopher Anthony had bought it two years ago, and immediately applied to have it demolished. The council wouldn't allow it, in the past 6 months has been arsoned twice. Then when the council made him repair the roof within a given time, what did he do? he brought in AB demolition complete with two large digger type things. and proceeded to knock down the back wall, damaging the stage area, and wrecking the roof. The council now applied to the High Court for work to be stopped on the building.

According to his current surveyor, the building is in a bad state of repair, and needs to be demolished. The council surveyor says otherwise. And who's pictures where used by the council to help save the building? Urban Explorers photographs.

I guess that says it all.

Perhaps you'd be better off at Broken-Britain

We are a much more freindly bunch!! 28DL is too clicky!

oh cool, you've found object criteria by which you can judge categorically the historical value of something! how remarkable, care to share it?

Originally Posted by PsiFox

A matter of opinion.....I discovered yesterday that one of the chaps on our forum has taken pictures of the asylum where i trained as a nurse a few moons ago. to me and the thousands of people who went through those doors his pictures are fascinating and memory provoking.... and they are historical as alot of what went on there which you can see remnents of, most certainly does not today.

I'm building a site at the moment for an architectural group in the North of Scotland and one of the biggest aspects of it is going to be a section entirely for urban explorers. Professional architects and historians are beginning to ACTIVELY work with urban explorers who document buildings and structures, their physical condition, their pasts to a large extent their future through educated and informed research. What they photograph probably has more value that what you think.

They are not all Modern buildings. Its scandalous the number of grade "A" listed building left to Rot and fall down out there. When they are gone thats it all you will have are urban explorers photos to go on.:D

St. Peter's Seminary is one of them. Absolutely. The people that are quick to dismiss urban explorers forget that without them all they'll have is a few pictures from an architects book showing only PART of the history of the building. Arguably one of Scotland's most important buildings it's hard to believe that there are people on this forum who would like to restrict people from viewing what is essentially a piece of Scottish history because it's 'private property'.

Seems this thread has gone off on a tangent.

I'm building a site at the moment for an architectural group in the North of Scotland and one of the biggest aspects of it is going to be a section entirely for urban explorers. Professional architects and historians are beginning to ACTIVELY work with urban explorers who document buildings and structures, their physical condition, their pasts to a large extent their future through educated and informed research. What they photograph probably has more value that what you think.

Sorry to go off topic for a sec, what architectural group would that be? I'm an architecture student and on one of my years out working for one of the largest architectural practices in Inverness.

Just a quick question. Why is it that certain persons here keep stating that trespass is a civil and not criminal offence? Does that make it OK then? Trespass is wrong either way. If you do it, I personally don't care, but don't dress it up as something more than it is, don't try to claim the moral high ground by using words such as "Heritage" and, if one of your sacred sites is compromised, Tough, get over it.

Edit: Sorry to put it back ON topic!

Trespass in English law is a breach of one's Common Law rights -that's all.

The Common Law is made up of those rules and customs which have been regarded as laws in the land since time immemorial. In other words it's never been legislated or written down, it's been mutually verbally agreed since people had the intelligence to negotiate with each other, that in the interests of peace and harmony it's a good idea to keep off each others property.

All those signs you see in the country proclaiming 'Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted' are pure BS, but that doesn't mean you should disrespect the rights of that particular individual.

When it comes to entering buildings, there are a few points to be borne in mind.

If you take anything which doesn't belong to you, it's Theft pure and simple.

If you break into the building just for the purposes of photography alone, then it's Criminal Damage.

If you break into the building and subsequently steal anything within, or cause any criminal damage within, then it's Burglary.

Not really my cuppa, and I'm not knocking those who do it responsibly, but be aware it can have repercussions you didn't bargain for.

Sorry to go off topic for a sec, what architectural group would that be? I'm an architecture student and on one of my years out working for one of the largest architectural practices in Inverness.

Hey man, I can't say just now, but I'll let you know when the project goes live. if you pm me your email address i'll send you some information when I can.

I've done some web work in the past for RMJM

Totally on-topic - my auntie asked me today if I'd seen that thing on the BBC news about that photographer bloke who found all the stuff at Law hospital... I let her ramble on for a bit, about how shoddy the NHS is, and that you did the right thing telling the BBC etc etc. I couldn't keep up the serious face any longer, had to tell her the whole story:)

You're a star Gary!

I'm wondering which A&E do these photogs turn to if they happen to slip/fall/trip/cut or in any way injure themselves ?

Obviously wouldn't be the NHS :thinking:

Now, if that, on a public forum, doesn't start another witch hunt, nothing will.

Now, if that, on a public forum, doesn't start another witch hunt, nothing will.

BBC already know about the Bones dod. Reporter asked me if I knew the photographer who took them, which I don't!!

Gary.

Back