Beauty Treatment (Tutorial Added)

that is awesome mate. many thanks for taking the time to write it up. much much better technique than the gaussian blur method i had been using.

Theres a few tutorials been around for a while using same method I used it for my daughters potrait, it works well and gives good results.

Cheeky :razz: ****er, I did not say I would post a tutorial.

Any way I am WRITING IT NOW please be patient.

No but you didnt answer folks with a simple "surface blur and layers" answer either and dragged it on for over a week.

Good on ye and all that for doing a screen capture guide but still could have answered folks earlier and that was my point.

No but you didnt answer folks with a simple "surface blur and layers" answer either and dragged it on for over a week.

Good on ye and all that for doing a screen capture guide but still could have answered folks earlier and that was my point.

read the posts, where did it say I would do a tutorial or even tell how I achieved the outcome,apart from my last couple of posts, that was my decision.

Some folks need to realise that NOT everybody is a world champion at PS skills and photography. I was just trying to help.

Unfortunately we're not all pros so it wouldn't be that practical to pay a Make up Artist every time we wanted to have a go at portraiture. And in any case, don't tell me that pros don't use computer techniques to achieve these affects.

MUA's don't cost much they even do it TFP too

pros do use comptuers and I generally hate the smooth plastic looking result. you can remove and adjust so much in PS that when you see amodels photograph and then see her in the flesh there is normally quite a difference.

.... I was just trying to help.

And help you did. Well done for taking the time to do this - I'm sure there's more who appreciate it than don't.

It might be worth copying the tutorial bit of this thread into a new post and get one of the mods to move it into the tutorial forum.

so let me get this right. this new quick fancy technique is just bluring the skin to make it look plastic which looks as if it takes longer than using a simple plug in or using noise reduction software and deleting the area you want to keep sharp

so let me get this right. this new quick fancy technique is just bluring the skin to make it look plastic.

You should have gone to specsavers mate. The difference he has made using this technique, to the original photo, is nothing short of incredible. It does in no way, "look plastic".

Gary.

MUA's don't cost much they even do it TFP too

pros do use comptuers and I generally hate the smooth plastic looking result. you can remove and adjust so much in PS that when you see amodels photograph and then see her in the flesh there is normally quite a difference.

Well then you are talking about degrees. Nothing wrong in using PP to enhance already good photographs. I would imagine most amateurs having a go would not even know how to obtain the services of a Make up Artist, unless of course they can persuade a friend to do it.

read the posts, where did it say I would do a tutorial or even tell how I achieved the outcome,apart from my last couple of posts, that was my decision.

Some folks need to realise that NOT everybody is a world champion at PS skills and photography. I was just trying to help.

And you did, my post - and now Im repeating myself to you - was about the length of time inbetween messages asking simple "how did you do this" to a final reply. Your first reply to me of "no" with no further info was you being the cheeky ****er.

Good to see different ways of doing things, as I noted I have a method I use thats very simple and returns good results. Duplicate layer, neatimage the whole thing and erase everything but skin then set layer opacity to between 30 and 50% depending on the look Im going for.

sc-kimbo.jpg

Aint the right way, aint the wrong way.

Hope that clears the confusion up.

You should have gone to specsavers mate. The difference he has made using this technique, to the original photo, is nothing short of incredible. It does in no way, "look plastic".

Gary.

I did get my glasses from spec savers and her skin does look plastic, its unnaturally smooth and I'm not disputing the fact there is a difference

I did get my glasses from spec savers and her skin does look plastic, its unnaturally smooth and I'm not disputing the fact there is a difference

Just looks like smooth skin to me :)

I have found a new way (to me anyway) to enhance the skin without using a plugin. I think it is OK what do you think?

And you did, my post - and now Im repeating myself to you - was about the length of time inbetween messages asking simple "how did you do this" to a final reply. Your first reply to me of "no" with no further info was you being the cheeky ****er.

Good to see different ways of doing things, as I noted I have a method I use thats very simple and returns good results. Duplicate layer, neatimage the whole thing and erase everything but skin then set layer opacity to between 30 and 50% depending on the look Im going for.

The bold type in quotes are where your and my offering differ Rikki, like I say, try and read the original post before dissing folk.

Doesn't look plastic to me, but just MHO. :shrug:

Toptastic Tiler me old Toasty!
Thanks for doing all those screengrabs, must have been very boring, but I am very grateful as I'm pony on potatoshop and am looking forward to trying it and reckon I should be able to now.

For what it's worth, I have no idea if your way is betterer or worserer than plug ins as I've never used'em (and lucky old me, I only saw this thread for the very 1st time a couple of hours ago, so I have had almost no wait at all - must be my lucky day!)

Wow, Tiler, well worth the wait. Thanks for the effort.

I knew the healing brush was used somewhere!

Portait Pro & Cs2 used on the left face

beforeandafterJoined_pp.jpg

All very close but mine was 'free, as I did not use a plug-in,

thanks all for the kind remarks and the general interest this post has produced.

This post started because I wanted to show that you can get good skin reproduction without 'buying' a plug-in. Admittedly the ones you pay for do more but if you are on a budget or need to enhance you PS skills, I believe that this is a good way to go about it. After all we are here to share, admire and give praise or criticism where it is due.

Happy snapping. (y)

The Portrait Pro one is particularly shoddy.

Yours is also excellent, Rikki, what technique do you use, if you don't mind sharing?

All very close but mine was 'free, as I did not use a plug-in,

thanks all for the kind remarks and the general interest this post has produced.

This post started because I wanted to show that you can get good skin reproduction without 'buying' a plug-in. Admittedly the ones you pay for do more but if you are on a budget or need to enhance you PS skills, I believe that this is a good way to go about it. After all we are here to share, admire and give praise or criticism where it is due.

Happy snapping. (y)

Thats what its all about, getting better at what we do and using the tools we have at our disposal.

I've been using neatimage for about 5 years, back when I had a Fuji 602z which was grainy as hell. NI was a god send and later I found that instead of profiling a block of noise you could show it a pattern and it was just as good. Since skin is like a moire block (much like newsprint half tones or sensor noise) it does a really good job even though that was never its intended purpose.

As I mentioned before I wasnt trying to dis you fella, I was just curious as to the method involved as Im as keen to learn as the next person.

Yours is also excellent, Rikki, what technique do you use, if you don't mind sharing?

Quite simple mate :

Healing brush to remove spots and moles
Duplicate layer
Neat Image
- profile a block of skin
- set NR high to 70%, mid to 50% and low to 20%
- apply Neatimage
Erase hair, eyes, mouth - everything that isnt skin
Then I dodged the eyes and saturated the eyes and lips a little
Done.

The OP shows a great way of doing things if you dont have NI but its probably the only plug in I ever use (for anything and everything).

I believe there is a free trial on their site: www.neatimage.com

R

Just goes to show that you dont always get what you paid for & with
some good advice on this forum regarding Photoshop etc you can get
better results for no extra cost (y)

As mentioned before.......... excellent processing.!!!

Great tutorial. Much better than guasian blur method I have used.

This post is now saved. Thanx.!!!!

Excellent tutorial and thanks for taking the time to write a description with pics. I use an action to do my skin softening copied from a post on another forum.

Your method looks very natural, so I am going to have a play and see how it looks compared to the method I use.

Thanks again.

Thanks all.

With a nekkid bloke calendar under my belt, the laydees are now clamouring for one . . .

Doh!

Answered the make-up artist questionfrom earlier without noticing the extra pages in the thread. Sorry

Make Up Artist - although thats missing the point a bit. It's always useful to be able to flatter a client who has less than perfect skin and wouldn't consider an MUA necessary - or affordable.

Thanks for the tutorial, tiler! I'm going to give that a go later today. Will post some results but either way, looks like a great technique for natural looking skin.

Oops :)

Happy snapping. (y)

Awesome tiler, cheers dude!

Thanks for taking the time to do that, I found it particuarly interesting and useful as I am only just begginning to understand my way round elements 6. I want to if I can learn to achieve things by using the various tools first, without pugins, so that I can understand what works and what doesn't. I'm sure in time I'll use plugins. I shall be giving this a go tonight.

(y)

Thanks for the tutorial tryed some last night and it works a treat.

Back