weekly Bebop's 52 2021 - Week 52: Showcase

Interesting images, could be the only way I could get some in focus images of birds!!
I like the post being added but would prefer it with more to get over the flower so that it flows from the empty space to the bird. An alternative crop could be keeping more of the post detail but not including the open space at the left.

I prefer the clarity of the second image. They're both a bit disturbing though! :oops: :$

Yes the last one for me too, well spotted for the theme, perfect choice and a super photo.
Thanks Susie.
Interesting images, could be the only way I could get some in focus images of birds!!
I like the post being added but would prefer it with more to get over the flower so that it flows from the empty space to the bird. An alternative crop could be keeping more of the post detail but not including the open space at the left.
ha ha! They were the easiest shots of the day :) Yes either of those might have worked better. I had a slight dilemma because the post and the support were not at right angles which slightly upset my karma - I decided the vertical was the most important I think, but this was partly why I decided to go closer too, so that it was less obvious.
I prefer the clarity of the second image. They're both a bit disturbing though! :oops: :$
I know what you mean :D I think lots of artificial things are a bit disturbing actually - including all these people having filler in their faces - always looks a bit spooky to me.

I like the post in as well but I prefer the one you chose. Well spotted.

Artificial
I think I prefer the second shot, it seems a little more dynamic.

Week 21: Pattern

At the 11th hour... I took this earlier in the week as I thought it might fit the bill if I didn't find anything else - struck by the pretty pattern of the leaves petals.
Posting, just to tick it off. Tried a b&w conversion in Nik Efex. I think I prefer the colour version.

Taken with 820mm lens (35mm equivalent) as I was out looking for birds.

20210529-BC130288_1_week21.jpg

20210529-BC130288_1_Nik_Nik_week21.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely the colour version, Bee, I like it, its nice and vibrant ice and vibrant (y)

.I might have said that before :LOL:
So good I said it twice ( well almost :LOL: ) that'll teach me to post when I'm tired ...
:D

Its the colour version for me too. I had a similar idea before I settled on my image, nature is great at doing patterns.

You can't get rid of colour like that, it really makes the image!

Pattern
Colour for me too. Nicely diffused background.
Another vote for the colour version
Very nice, and I prefer the colour version too.
Its the colour version for me too. I had a similar idea before I settled on my image, nature is great at doing patterns.
You can't get rid of colour like that, it really makes the image!
Another vote for the colour version. Really makes it pop.
Thank you all. I think we’re all agreed - but I had to have a play.... it did seem a little boring :D
Onward and upward !

Colour all the way.
Looks very sharp, plenty of detail and not a bird in sight.

Pete

Colour all the way - fab shot :)

Patterns
Definitely prefer the colour one, the b&w looks excessively contrasty which doesn't look evident in the original. I like the swirl in the centre and the out of focus background.

Colour all the way - fab shot :)
thanks Dave

Patterns
Definitely prefer the colour one, the b&w looks excessively contrasty which doesn't look evident in the original. I like the swirl in the centre and the out of focus background.
Thanks Stuart. Yes probably a bit OTT trying to give it some oomph! I do love the swirls we get in nature

Week 22: Up Close

Popped out with my macro lens this morning and tried using Affinity Photo to focus merge for the first time. Not perfect, but had some fun.

I spotted a lovely web with dew on it, but when I set my camera up, this grass came into view first and I quite liked it against the blurry web in the background.

20210610_BC2122373_week22.jpg

That looks lovely - very ethereal and professionally lit. Well done!

I thought you'd captured a splash for a moment as I couldn't see the web that the droplets are sitting on.

Me too. I thought it was a fantastic rainy day capture with ultra high shutter speed :)

I also agree that the lighting is spot on with this. Would make a nice big wall print.

Very nice Bee, lots of detail,
Focus merge is fun isn't it?

I really like that - I thought you'd captured a splash for a moment as I couldn't see the web that the droplets are sitting on..

Either way, the lighting is beautiful.
Thanks Kell. Yes it's not at all what I planned as I set up the tripod, but I thought it was more interesting than the web below it. I wasn't sure whether to raise the exposure a bit more, but yours and @Harlequin565's comment makes me think perhaps not.
Me too. I thought it was a fantastic rainy day capture with ultra high shutter speed :)

I also agree that the lighting is spot on with this. Would make a nice big wall print.
Ha ha! Thanks Ian. I need to fire my printer up actually. It turned off in an electric storm a while ago - not at all good to have neglected it. I might try printing it.
Very nice Bee, lots of detail,
Focus merge is fun isn't it?
Thanks Chris. It is a lot of fun. The Olympus does produce a jpeg in camera, but I think I prefer this method as it's easier to keep a blurry background, and then there is more room for manoeuvre with processing too.

@Harlequin565 Thanks for mentioning printing. I have been putting it off and needed a push. When I checked, I last printed in February - that is the biggest gap since I have owned the printer. Thankfully it printed with no problems - amazing for a pigment ink printer. I was fully expecting problems. No doubt masses of ink was wasted in the cleaning process.

I went for a slightly wider crop on A3 - might prefer the original crop actually, but it's done now.

IMG_5402-2.jpg

Too late now but you might want to consider the print exchange Rich is running if he does it again. That print looks lovely.

That is absolutely lovely Bee, can't add anything to what's been said above.
Particularly like the lighting and subtle colour tones, great work.

Its a very nice image it's all been said above , looks good as a print too.

Lovely photo :)

Interesting to see focus stacking used droplets like that. I would never have thuoght of doing that as I have always assumed it only works well with a static subject.
But thinking about it, I can see how it works.
Clever :)

Back