weekly Bebop's 52 for 2020 - week 52: Decor(ate)

More than one: Aside from not being to able to play a note of music on anything. Being a massive music fan, both records and concerts, I have always held a fascination for Bass Guitar and Bassists. That is truly a great photo.

Music: Asks lots of questions, as a good abstract should, Very original and very well presented.

More than one: Aside from not being to able to play a note of music on anything. Being a massive music fan, both records and concerts, I have always held a fascination for Bass Guitar and Bassists. That is truly a great photo.

Music: Asks lots of questions, as a good abstract should, Very original and very well presented.
Thanks David. You should take up an instrument - it's never too late! I'm a jack of all trades and master of none, so I've signed up for online piano, guitar and theory courses lately to try and improve. The bass is probably one of the quickest to pick up to be able to play along with your favourite tunes.

I'm glad you mention the questions because although I sort of prefer the cymbal pic, I thought this makes you think more.

I really like the first Bee and there's lots to look at in it.
Thanks Pete!

There's nothing wrong with a bit of abstract Bee, I quite like it :)
Thanks @Cobra (y) Might be a bit marmite!

The cymbal shot for me, of the two, for it's simplicity really.
it works really well standing out from the black background.
Thanks Tim. I nearly put this in as the main one, but I thought the other was more 'weird' :giggle:

I'm not sure what they're called, but it's this one of the percussion instruments which are strings of "beads" around a textured cylinder?

I love your cymbal shot - incredible energy and perfect timing on the drumstick strike.
I know what you mean and don't know what they're called either. I'll add a photo which gives a bit more detail. I'm not sure if this is a better shot as it shows the compartments more.
I had to delete a lot of drum shots where I missed the timing ;)

20200504-BCO30946.jpg
Both excellent shots for Music. The first one looks like the reflection of a mirror / crystal lampshade of some sort. It shows off the record / CD collection, guitars, amp, keyboard and maybe some sheet music nicely.
The second image has great timing and the perfect shutter speed to capture the drumstick in mid flight
Thanks Lee. Very close! As you can see it's a mirrored globe - something my daughter has brought home, and not a usual part of our 'tired' decor! I'm glad you spent the time to see what was there - the shot above shows different things again. I was quite pleased with how Twist and Shout came out in that one.

More than one they look very nice and that's a nice composition.
Music nice it a polished cymbal vibrating after being hit?
Thanks Clive. I actually spent ages polishing it beforehand - thanks for noticing! :D The cymbal is still but the drumstick is moving. I thought I needed it static. I ended up with a lot of photos in trash trying to get the timing right!

I love it - no explanation needed - keep the mystery - very abtruse for sure :D
:D Thank you! I've let my secret out :eek:

Both great shots but I do like the abstract nature of #1. Well thought out.

I like the mirror ball shot the fact that you can see bits of instruments within it makes it very interesting,
both work the cymbal would have been good enough for the theme but the mirror ball certainly catches your eye

I like the mirror ball shot the fact that you can see bits of instruments within it makes it very interesting,
both work the cymbal would have been good enough for the theme but the mirror ball certainly catches your eye
Thanks Allan. I just thought it was a bit different... it's only because my daughter is home and she brought it with her :) She's also brought a coloured light which might be useful this week.

A coca-cola rainbow, I like its simplicity and its oddness, very good indeed :)

Thanks @Shugpug - it was a drinking glass and reflection I spotted first. We’d just eaten at the table
That`s a nice image Bebop, lovely reflection why not try looking straight on instead and still get the reflection.
Thanks Dave. Yes the angle is not ideal. I was limited by other reflections in the table, like the window frame and trees. There wasn't much space around it. If I’d come down lower I’d have had the garden in the background, grass, trees.

That's an interesting angle Bee, it almost looks like its floating in the clouds,
nicely set up and captured.

Music
Both shots work for me. Ok so I didn't know what the first one was, but it didn't really matter too much.

Colourful
Great reflection, love the clouds.

Nice colour filled Coke bottle and reflections work very well. reminds me of some Hot Air Ballons they have at ballooning festivals.

Pete

Music
Both shots work for me. Ok so I didn't know what the first one was, but it didn't really matter too much.

Colourful
Great reflection, love the clouds.
Thanks Dominic. It was seeing the clouds that made me dash for my camera!

Lovely imaginative shot.. the reflections really make it work.
Thanks Helen - I didn't spot the reflections until that evening. Now I keep looking at the table to see how it looks :D

Nice colour filled Coke bottle and reflections work very well. reminds me of some Hot Air Ballons they have at ballooning festivals.

Pete
Thanks - yes I can see that - I've just realised I have 3 of these bottles! I could have gone for more.

I love this great take on the theme love the refection of not only the bottle but the sky too.

Really like your Music shot interesting idea and very well executed.
Colourful is excellent made special with the reflection.

Week 20 - Something Old

I've been struggling to think what to do this week - it was nearly going to be a ration book. At the eleventh hour I remembered our local beach has some dinosaur footprints on it. Luckily the tide was low this evening. It's not always possible to see them. Horrible harsh light, but at least they weren't covered by the sea. I tried a black and white conversion but didn't like it.

20200520-BCO30013.jpg

And another just so you can see it is a footprint... well, a cast of a dinosaur's foot, to be more accurate.

20200520-BCO30011.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea... I know what you mean about the light (summer downside) and can see why it wouldn't work in B&W. The colour of the seaweed really stands and highlights the subject.

Back