Best website building website for a photography portfolio?

If you don't mind tinkering then Wix, wordpress and the like are great as they have builders built in.

If you're like me and want to put in some effort to get the layout correct and then, afterwards, just have ease and speed of maintenance then Squarespace is absolutely the one I would go for every time - I tried everything to build my own site but it was just stressing me out so I gave Squarespace a go (with the free trial and then one of the 10% discounts you can find everywhere on Youtube) I really wouldn't like to go back now tbh.

I'd say you can't go wrong with Squarespace, very easy to use and you can give it a free trial.

If you have Lightroom cc, then adobe portfolio is pretty good considering it’s free
Just started designing my own through Adobe portfolio. Not that straight forward but hey, it's free!

Just started designing my own through Adobe portfolio. Not that straight forward but hey, it's free!

It does see, a bit clumsy to start with, but once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty straight forward.

I like that I can setup the galleries in LR and just sync them to the site.

My old website was hacked last week and after hiring both Comodo and getting help from my host Tsohost in the UK I was advised to delete it and start again Thread HERE So that is what I did and i ended up using a Photocrati theme https://www.photocrati.com and 4 days later I now have this Neil Williams Travel Photography

There were a couple of things that I was stuck on in the begin, but using there help line they fixed me up pretty much straight away.............
Neil

You don't need to delete and start again You can used the File Rollback feature (in C Panel) to take your website back to how it was before the hack took place. This is what worked for me when my site was hacked.
It was the recommendation of the Host company, which I took and to be honest I’m glad I did, the old site was forever crashing when I would update a plug-in especially whocommerse
Neil

Hi Joel, I am an amateur photographer but a professional digital designer and developer, I am working with WordPress for more than 8 years, I highly recommend to use it as a start for your website with a good photography theme that was custom build for this category, not a multipurpose one. Squarespace, Wix and other website builders are very limited to options and they somehow have your "balls" in their hands and you can't fully control your website and your files. For Squarespace you pay around $150 per year, instead of that, you can have a good hosting for about $70/year and a theme around $50-$70 one-time payment. You can look at WPHUNTERS for custom WordPress photography themes.

I used a free (non-Wordpress) template for mine that reflows the content according to the viewer's display size. But I tweaked its format somewhat. Then I posted it to my hosting which is £3 a month.

Also, spare a glance for such as theimagefile, and Koken. All depends how much you want to spend!

Depending on exactly what you want, JAlbum might be worth a look. My web site, bar the front page, is entirely built from it.

WIX is very good. I have created many websites using it and its free account is more than enough for many applications.

On a side note: I would personally avoid making flash websites.

You don't need to delete and start again You can used the File Rollback feature (in C Panel) to take your website back to how it was before the hack took place. This is what worked for me when my site was hacked.

By doing that, you are then exposing the original vulnerability that allowed the site to be hacked in the first place !

Neil has made the correct decision based on the technical know how of his providers etc.

Dougie.

By doing that, you are then exposing the original vulnerability that allowed the site to be hacked in the first place !
Your right but it was only exposed for the short time it took to me to install all the updates to Wordpress, themes and plugins and install the update which I missed first time round which let the hackers in which is the php updates.

It's been more than two years since the original hack and my site has not been successfully hacked since. It looks like myself & Neil both made the right decision.

I'm considering setting up a website in order to sell images, has anyone got any experience with this and would Wix or SS be best (I realise i'll get differing opinions here but just trying to see where to put my money to best effect). cheers

Have a look at TheImageFile. Very good price including hosting for under 500 images and the customer service is excellent. See my site

www.wild-wales.com

Looks good but, how do people order products from you? I see the shop page but there is no 'obvious' or intuitive way to place an order (or have I missed something on one of the pages?)

I'm considering setting up a website in order to sell images, has anyone got any experience with this and would Wix or SS be best (I realise i'll get differing opinions here but just trying to see where to put my money to best effect). cheers
When I used to sell images Photoshelter seemed to be the best option. I would certainly look at something set up for selling photographs, rather than a generic service.

So many different replies :) :|

Just a nice looking website for photographs to be presented on with ability to sell them is all I need.

Have a look at TheImageFile.

I was briefly considering them earlier in the year but their design options appear to be solidly stuck back in the 2000s. It's OK if you have your site there for ages and still get business but as a fresh start I find it very repulsive.

I need something in a week or so, or else need to get on with coding my own very quickly! No chance of Zenfolio renewal this time.

If you have Lightroom cc, then adobe portfolio is pretty good considering it’s free
I moved from zenofolio to adobe portfolio a couple of years ago. It works for me ok.

It does see, a bit clumsy to start with, but once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty straight forward.

I like that I can setup the galleries in LR and just sync them to the site.
I have to say there was a bit of a learning curve at first but most of that was down to the web browser not liking adobe portfolio. A change of web browser and I was well away. There was a guide I used but I can’t find a link to it now.

I did write a bit about changing from zenfolio to adobe portfolio. It can be found in the link below:

https://spark.adobe.com/page/VjXZ38cmaRtjk/

Hi Rob! just read it and very interesting! the question is: which hosting service are you actually using? at what cost? I am not a professional and I stopped my smugmug subscription. POrtfolio is a good free alternative (I am subscribed to adobe ph and lr) but I would love your advice on which cheap hosting service. thanks!

Has anyone on here used Sytist ... all these website builders are all well and good but some are £20 per month.

I think Sytist is a one off payment and you can sell images on it.

Reactions: Sky
I think Sytist is a one off payment and you can sell images on it.

I've just had a quick look and I like the look of that. I shall have to investigate further - thanks Joel. (y)

I have a wordpress site and use the DIVI platform. I built it all myself and it was quite fun actually (Once I knew what I was doing)

Hi Rob! just read it and very interesting! the question is: which hosting service are you actually using? at what cost? I am not a professional and I stopped my smugmug subscription. POrtfolio is a good free alternative (I am subscribed to adobe ph and lr) but I would love your advice on which cheap hosting service. thanks!
Sorry I’ve just seen this as I didn’t get a notification. I’m currently with 1&1 by Ionos. I was previously with GoDaddy. At the time I decided to change my web domain as I’d seen there was .photography domain names now available. To be honest I find domain name are usually cheaper when you first get them. Once it comes up for renewal it’s always more expensive. My renewal comes up at the end of the year so I will see how much it will be then.

Back