Best website building website for a photography portfolio?

moomike

TPer Emeritus
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
If you don't mind tinkering then Wix, wordpress and the like are great as they have builders built in.

If you're like me and want to put in some effort to get the layout correct and then, afterwards, just have ease and speed of maintenance then Squarespace is absolutely the one I would go for every time - I tried everything to build my own site but it was just stressing me out so I gave Squarespace a go (with the free trial and then one of the 10% discounts you can find everywhere on Youtube) I really wouldn't like to go back now tbh.

Edit My Images
No
I'd say you can't go wrong with Squarespace, very easy to use and you can give it a free trial.

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
My old website was hacked last week and after hiring both Comodo and getting help from my host Tsohost in the UK I was advised to delete it and start again Thread HERE So that is what I did and i ended up using a Photocrati theme https://www.photocrati.com and 4 days later I now have this Neil Williams Travel Photography

There were a couple of things that I was stuck on in the begin, but using there help line they fixed me up pretty much straight away.............
Neil

Name
Redsnappa
Edit My Images
No
Tsohost in the UK I was advised to delete it and start again
You don't need to delete and start again You can used the File Rollback feature (in C Panel) to take your website back to how it was before the hack took place. This is what worked for me when my site was hacked.

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
You don't need to delete and start again You can used the File Rollback feature (in C Panel) to take your website back to how it was before the hack took place. This is what worked for me when my site was hacked.
It was the recommendation of the Host company, which I took and to be honest I’m glad I did, the old site was forever crashing when I would update a plug-in especially whocommerse
Neil

Name
Dima
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Joel, I am an amateur photographer but a professional digital designer and developer, I am working with WordPress for more than 8 years, I highly recommend to use it as a start for your website with a good photography theme that was custom build for this category, not a multipurpose one. Squarespace, Wix and other website builders are very limited to options and they somehow have your "balls" in their hands and you can't fully control your website and your files. For Squarespace you pay around $150 per year, instead of that, you can have a good hosting for about $70/year and a theme around $50-$70 one-time payment. You can look at WPHUNTERS for custom WordPress photography themes.

Name
droj
Edit My Images
No
I used a free (non-Wordpress) template for mine that reflows the content according to the viewer's display size. But I tweaked its format somewhat. Then I posted it to my hosting which is £3 a month.

Also, spare a glance for such as theimagefile, and Koken. All depends how much you want to spend!

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
No
Depending on exactly what you want, JAlbum might be worth a look. My web site, bar the front page, is entirely built from it.

Edit My Images
No
WIX is very good. I have created many websites using it and its free account is more than enough for many applications.

On a side note: I would personally avoid making flash websites.

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
By doing that, you are then exposing the original vulnerability that allowed the site to be hacked in the first place !

Neil has made the correct decision based on the technical know how of his providers etc.

Dougie.

Name
Redsnappa
Edit My Images
No
By doing that, you are then exposing the original vulnerability that allowed the site to be hacked in the first place !
Your right but it was only exposed for the short time it took to me to install all the updates to Wordpress, themes and plugins and install the update which I missed first time round which let the hackers in which is the php updates.

It's been more than two years since the original hack and my site has not been successfully hacked since. It looks like myself & Neil both made the right decision.