Birds in your garden

Garden birds around feeders

• Total voters
Although a grab shot I only remembered about this Goldcrest when backing up lightroom the other day. I have only seen it once. Nice little bird though. As I havent seen one of these before I had to dig around to make sure it was a Goldcrest as I was un-sure.

Goldcrest by Simon Rees, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
This photo is unedited other than enlarged a bit,could anyone take it and improve it so I can see what can be achieved.
I took it with canon 7d mkii 70-200 non is,aperture Priority f4, ISO 320, many thanksView attachment 41322

I didn't want to start a thread on its own but I had this "little" visitor to my garden looking for Sunday dinner.
P1040182.JPG P1040184.JPG P1040194.JPG P1040196.JPG

I used an aperture of 5.6 but I'm not sure whether I should have used a smaller aperture. 200mm focal length (400mm 35mm equivalent). The shutter speeds were 1/400 and 1/500. The pictures were taken through a window (from my sitting room) and some had a bit of a shadow. I tried to remove that by increasing contrast on the computer.

They are so skittish you did well to get so many shots off,well done.

We have been visited by up to 9 Goldfinches over the last few weeks. I suspect maybe a family group as when they first started coming a lot of them where not fully plumaged in their garish colours. Always a joy to see and hear them. I reckon there are more birds visiting my garden this year than previous.
Have started to use Sunflower hearts solely as feed now. I think the birds know and vote with their feet.

Wow Swansea Jack, 16 LTT in a pie............ Fantastic shot. They seem to like your garden. I had a few in the other day........ and even a GS Woodpecker. He went when I tried to photo him Very shy.

Cat Picture........................The Enemy. Hope you shot it, oh yes you did I see....;)

Mj:olympus:

Wow Swansea Jack, 16 LTT in a pie............ Fantastic shot. They seem to like your garden. I had a few in the other day........ and even a GS Woodpecker. He went when I tried to photo him Very shy.

Cat Picture........................The Enemy. Hope you shot it, oh yes you did I see....;)

Mj:olympus:

We are lucky Mark as we back onto woodlands and countryside, so get a good variety of birds here. There was a tip from Phil in this bird section how the LTT love some cheese, so they have all my left overs and I put some out this morning and seen about 8 of them today as a group along with three great and blue's. I put out a mixture of sunflower hearts and seeds, peanuts, fat balls, Niger seed and crunchy peanut butter (tesco own is the best I have found) and the birds seem to love them. The peanut butter goes on the small perches for the birds to feed on. The only bird that I would like see visiting is Goldfinches, I had one drink out of a puddle the other week and it's the only one I have ever seen around here.

We had a GSW all through the summer visiting, I then seen a pair about three months ago and I have only seen them once since.

When your next over this way give me a shout and pop in for a Coffee.

Not easy this bird photography malarky!! Just dipped my toes in the water and had a go at shooting some of the birds in the garden - could get addictive (and expensive) Used my D7000 with Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens and Sigma x2 TC. This was the best of the bunch, need to take more care with the background though. Comments and advice very welcome.
Regards
NN

All the birds have gone! Me and my neighbour always get loads of tits,gold finches, the odd black cap! And they've all gone not been about for about 4 weeks! Apart from the odd 1. Any reason for this??

We have a daft dunnock that's obsessed with our dining-room window. It runs up and down the back of the bench outside the window and, if there's a space in the junk inside the window, it flies onto the sill opposite the gap and taps the window with its beak. Taken using a Sony RX10 set to '164'mm. The camera was on a tripod on the table less than 2 metres from the window and I'm a metre further away, clutching the remote.

dunnock1.jpg

dunnock4.jpg

dunnock3.jpg

dunnock2.jpg

I have loads of sparrows and starlings , a few dunnocks ,, I don't know whats happened to the gold finches ,, I had loads a few months ago , now nothing ,, its weird ..

There are some fantastic images in this thread, a joy to look at.

Back