Black Friday. Did you snaffle a bargain?

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
I'll start, I've been thinking about getting an air fryer for several months.
I was in no real rush, so waited for "Black Friday".
I paid around 80 quid, today, that included ( an alleged) 40% off.

I'm highly suspicious of the deals, especially on Amazon where they use sneaky tricks like comparing to RRP that it would never have been sold at.

Currently looking for two items for a nice Black Friday deal, the first is the Sigma 40mm f1.4, although I doubt that I'll see any deals.

The second is an Xbox Series X for my son. EE were doing it for about £380 but it looks like stock issues, so checked out Amazon and they have it with a supposed big 25% discount, but CamelCamelCamel seems to tell a different story when doing a search on that specific URL. Looks more like a measly £20 discount and not a £139 discount.

Sneaky, or am I missing something?

1700251825293.png

1700251875559.png

Tempted by an offer from Pentax EU on a lens I'd like, but I've not long bought a couple that are still in their boxes so I'd best use them before expanding the outfit further.

Tempted by an offer from Pentax EU on a lens I'd like, but I've not long bought a couple that are still in their boxes so I'd best use them before expanding the outfit further.
As Mrs Doyle once said, go on, go on, go on... ;)

Best thing I've done in an age is get me an Air-Fryer! I got one of the Tower triple layer jobbies [11ltr cap] , wanted the ability to separate different foods at once, but I am thinking of adding a smaller drawer type for extras. Our oven rarely sees use now, it will over Christmas [Turkey/Ham] but for week-in-week-out meals, I'm just loving the ease of use and speed of the AF. Might just have a gander for deals on smaller units

I'm highly suspicious of the deals, especially on Amazon where they use sneaky tricks like comparing to RRP that it would never have been sold at.
I agree, hence my "alleged" comment.
But TBH either way, I was happy with the 80 quid price tag.

This looks like a genuine deal and perhaps a nice basic entry into Drone stuff?
That doesn't look too bad :)
I keep thinking about getting a drone ...

Last edited:
I'm just loving the ease of use and speed of the AF.
Is it an oven or lens: :D
I got one of the Tower triple layer jobbies [11ltr cap]
Sounds similar mine, with an added Rotisserie bar.
I'm not sure if that is a gimmick or not.
I'll find out.

I agree, hence my "alleged" comment.
But TBH either way, I was happy with the 80 quid price tag.

That doesn't look too bad :)
I keep thinking about getting a drone ...

I keep debating about getting a drone, but I think I know that it will be more of a nice thing to try out, but will probably end up shelved.

but I think I know that it will be more of a nice thing to try out, but will probably end up shelved.
That's my thoughts too.

I'll find out.

If it's the same as mine and says you can do a chicken on it, think pigeon sized !!!
Never used that bar
I've had my air fryer for a year now and never looked back, I love they way you can cook things perfectly from frozen
and don't have to wast time warming it up first
Only use the oven once since I got it, to cook a quiche for my son in law, since then I found the Air Fryer does them too in less then half the time

If it's the same as mine and says you can do a chicken on it, think pigeon sized !!!
It's literally just turned up, so I'll see in a bit when I open it.

Only use the oven once since I got it, to cook a quiche for my son in law, since then I found the Air Fryer does them too in less then half the time
I've found a good web site for recipes, so I've been studying all the things I know I won't get around to trying :D

Is it an oven or lens: :D

I'll find out.

Yeah mine has that, I've never used it. Actually that's the one niggle I have with it, that rotisserie option takes up the centre where I would rather one of the shelves to fit, there's 2 shelf slots below and one above but they'd be better spaced without that option, or gimmick as you say. I'm never buying a whole chicken, only ever buy cuts, thighs being the best IMO!

chicken, only ever buy cuts, thighs being the best IMO!
I totally agree, so many uses, and it only takes a minute to bone them, if you feel so inclined.

Currently looking for two items for a nice Black Friday deal, the first is the Sigma 40mm f1.4, although I doubt that I'll see any deals.

The second is an Xbox Series X for my son. EE were doing it for about £380 but it looks like stock issues, so checked out Amazon and they have it with a supposed big 25% discount, but CamelCamelCamel seems to tell a different story when doing a search on that specific URL. Looks more like a measly £20 discount and not a £139 discount.

Sneaky, or am I missing something?

View attachment 406841

View attachment 406842

Sometimes you're right, the deals are not as good as they seem, But often I have a good idea on what prices are supposed to be. Like Lightroom or dishwashing tabs, when I see them at the right price I buy them. There is a Ninja copper AF on there, at least £30 than I have ever seen it.

But often I have a good idea on what prices are supposed to be.
That's the thing with any sale isn't it?
You should always have an idea of the prices first.

Anyone remember the battles of years gone by, when they had proper new years day sales?
People would queue over night to get a bargain, and the women on the news, fighting over a fur coat for a tenner,
well maybe not quite that low, but bit cheap enough for it to cause a fight :D

Amazon are bad all year round, "lowest price in 30 days" is often a lie, not sure how they get away with it.
Probably the same way that SCS & DFS ( etc) inflate their prices before Xmas so they can reduce them for the Boxing day sales.

False economy, now you'll need to buy strong aftershave to mask the smell of onion rings in your hair.

False economy, now you'll need to buy strong aftershave to mask the smell of onion rings in your hair.
Not a problem, I don't really like Onion rings.

All of these sales are fake so I tend not to bother even looking.
The only thing that I buy either during Black Friday or Prime Day Deals is Lightroom.

Years ago I used to work for PC World. I remember a s***ty Celeron Laptop coming into stock price at £999. Had it on display for the obligatory 28 days and sold none but it was marked down to £399 for the easter sales. Sold hundreds of them. It was probably worth £299 at best.

I totally agree, so many uses, and it only takes a minute to bone them, if you feel so inclined.

Sometimes I do but more often I'll just eat off the bone, but it's such good meat, so much tastier than breast

There's a definite trend of 'fake sales' with furniture in particular. You see these adverts for 3-piece suites "WOW! amazing offer! was £2999 now ONLY £1599!!!" and you buy thinking you got a right bargain only to see the same exact suite go for £899 a couple months later.

The only thing that I buy either during Black Friday or Prime Day Deals is Lightroom.

Years ago I used to work for PC World. I remember a s***ty Celeron Laptop coming into stock price at £999. Had it on display for the obligatory 28 days and sold none but it was marked down to £399 for the easter sales. Sold hundreds of them. It was probably worth £299 at best.

So you say the sales are fake yet you buy LR on Black Friday?;)

Not all are!

if you want to wait for your chosen bargain to get to the lowest price set up an alert with camelcamel

The only genuine bargain I’ve seen so far on Amazon is a Ninja 9L dual air fryer. They normally sell for around £250, my wife managed to find a deal at £220 earlier this year, but Amazon are currently doing them for £180.

Well that was great!
My bargain air fryer doesn't work, the signs are there that it was a pre-used one,
and returned as faulty, none of the buttons work apart from the stop start :(
Luckily it was bought from and supplied by through Amazon.

Or so the details said, the return has to be to the importer,
via royal mail pick up. ( still free though)

Snapped up this seemingly genuine bargain:

1700495196760.png

Not quite the 25% they are claiming, but still a nice saving for something I was buying anyway. It's been mentioned in the national media as well.

1700495217906.png

Still got my eye on the Sigma 40mm f1.4, but it's not low enough yet for me!

Back