Blakester's 52 for 2021 - Week 34 added - Glass(es) "Self Portrait"

Plant
Lovely and simple, very artsy. I like the dark top to the image, it holds everything in and the dark shadow under the shell keeps it all grounded.
Thank you Dominic, such kind comments.

Really can't say it any better than Dominic. Beautiful composition and subject
Thanks Ian,

Slightly strange but I agree very nice indeed.
Thanks Allan, I like that you find it strange haha

Excellent composition and technically very well executed. I really like the simplicity.
Thank you Helen.

Clean, simple and slightly bizarre. What's not to like.
Cheers Tim, again slightly bizarre, I'm having that haha.

Great idea. Another cracking shot with a nice minimalist feel to it :)
Thank you.

Kell said it all. Fab. Would make a super big print to hang in their foyer :)

Fab shot! Over :)

That's great.

Not really much more to add to that. Love it.
Thanks Kell.

Kell said it all. Fab. Would make a super big print to hang in their foyer :)
Cheers Ian, I'm not sure they are too keen on people taking photos of their building ;)

That is excellent!
Thanks Paul

Fab shot! Over :)
Cheers Dave.

Love it against the black sky.
How on earth did you manage to take it without having security standing over you...
Thanks Tim, a little photoshoppery for the black sky.
I went unchallenged. Cycled past it on my way from work to the station, parked my bike outside, took about 6 shots in total from different angles and then made my escape. It was a bit drizzly so perhaps the security didn't fancy getting wet haha.

Cracking image!
Thank you Joan.

Love this shot - one of the best I've seen of the walkie talkie.
Thanks Helen, such kind comments.

Certainly towering over you, great fit for the theme.
Thank you Simon.

Snappers choice
Such clean cuts, you must have a very sharp knife. The red is really quite striking against the white.
For me, i wish the plate was level, it seems to dip down on the left, this might be intentional, so it's probably just me :)

Nice looking set of strawbs. Well lit too.

Nicely done me 'ole fruit (y)
:D

Snappers choice
Such clean cuts, you must have a very sharp knife. The red is really quite striking against the white.
For me, i wish the plate was level, it seems to dip down on the left, this might be intentional, so it's probably just me :)
Thanks Dominic, you are right about the plate dipping. I was so concentrated on trying to get the strawberries level that I missed that little dip.

Nice looking set of strawbs. Well lit too.
Thanks Dave.

Nicely done me 'ole fruit (y)
:D
:D Cheers Chris.

I love the tones in the Walkie Talkie shot, and the angle is great... God I miss central London, so close and yet it seems so far away.

I love the shock of colour against the white and soft shadows in the strawbarry shot. Amazing how it's simplicity leaves the viewer to fill in the gaps. With no intention, or implication positive or negative, to my eye it draws a swastika shape, which against the clean softness, and the purity of the fruit makes for an interesting justaposition.... I do have a habit of overthinking things though! :ROFLMAO:

Can’t add much more to what everyone else has said. The colours are really striking and I love how you’ve cut the strawberries too.

I have been trawling through all of this entire post and the work is fantastic as usual Iain I have always admired your portraits from the street .
Loved the fruit shapes. Loved the wire sausage dog. Loved the paper clip men too!
Great work mate

I enjoy seeing your cutout fruit creations. These remind me of pac man :) The colours look good on the white plate and I like the soft shadow of the plate.
Thank you Bebop, I can see where you are coming from with the pacman likeness :D

I love the tones in the Walkie Talkie shot, and the angle is great... God I miss central London, so close and yet it seems so far away.

I love the shock of colour against the white and soft shadows in the strawbarry shot. Amazing how it's simplicity leaves the viewer to fill in the gaps. With no intention, or implication positive or negative, to my eye it draws a swastika shape, which against the clean softness, and the purity of the fruit makes for an interesting justaposition.... I do have a habit of overthinking things though! :ROFLMAO:
:D Cheers Nick. I wouldn't say you're over thinking it with the Swastika reference, I too noticed that. With my initial composition it was even more obvious to me. I had already cut the strawberries so rather than cut more, I adjusted their position to lessen the look. It's something I may revisit to adjust again.

I agree with others - the colour really pops in these shots.
Thanks Helen.

Can’t add much more to what everyone else has said. The colours are really striking and I love how you’ve cut the strawberries too.
Thank you Simon.

I have been trawling through all of this entire post and the work is fantastic as usual Iain I have always admired your portraits from the street .
Loved the fruit shapes. Loved the wire sausage dog. Loved the paper clip men too!
Great work mate
Such kind comments, thank you Mark, mush appreciated.

Week 31 - Hands, well to be more precise for me hand.
This is something I made quite a few years ago and thought I would resurrect it from the cupboard in the shed.
More than a passing reference to The Thing in The Adams Family :D

Week 31 - Hands by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Addams family was exactly what I thought when I saw it. Looks like it's wrapped in bandages. A shade more space at the bottom for me, but the range of tones is beautiful.

Addams family was exactly what I thought when I saw it. Looks like it's wrapped in bandages. A shade more space at the bottom for me, but the range of tones is beautiful.
Thanks Ian, yes, I agree I should have given myself a little more room to work with. I could probably sort that in post though. Thanks again.

That's well creepy! I love it :)

Inevitably I have the Addams Family theme tune running in my head now. A really nice piece of work, and the lighting and tones really set it off. The proximity to the bottom of the frame makes it a little more sinister IMO, as if it's going to come out.

Snappers Choice
A great collection of images and an interesting project to undertake. I especially like images with multiple stripes.

Looking down
The reflection works for the theme with the post processing adding to its overall feel

Indigenous
Nice level of detail, a bit different from a Scottish thistle

Plant
The composition works well, looks a bit like leg and a foot. The back of the shell dissapears a bit, losing some of the detail that would enhance it further (imo).

Dominating
Really great composition and procesing on the building. It has an interesting moire effect when scrolled on my ipad

Snappers Choice
I recognised it immediately as belonging to the same group of images osted earlier. Could see it working as a panel submission, maybe needs some more empty space around the edge

Hands
Really like the processing, a bit more space at the bottom would take it up a notch. I'm wondering how it looks if the full shadow is kept in the frame.

Hand(s)
Really like the hand, not just from a photographic point of view, bit also the craftsmanship.

Brilliant, I dread to think how long that took to make though. Lovely processing as well :)
Thank you. I can't quite remember how long it took, I made it a few years ago. I'm guessing a good few hours though.

Inevitably I have the Addams Family theme tune running in my head now. A really nice piece of work, and the lighting and tones really set it off. The proximity to the bottom of the frame makes it a little more sinister IMO, as if it's going to come out.
Cheers Nick, I like your sinister take on it, I will have that.

Snappers Choice
A great collection of images and an interesting project to undertake. I especially like images with multiple stripes.

Looking down
The reflection works for the theme with the post processing adding to its overall feel

Indigenous
Nice level of detail, a bit different from a Scottish thistle

Plant
The composition works well, looks a bit like leg and a foot. The back of the shell dissapears a bit, losing some of the detail that would enhance it further (imo).

Dominating
Really great composition and procesing on the building. It has an interesting moire effect when scrolled on my ipad

Snappers Choice
I recognised it immediately as belonging to the same group of images osted earlier. Could see it working as a panel submission, maybe needs some more empty space around the edge

Hands
Really like the processing, a bit more space at the bottom would take it up a notch. I'm wondering how it looks if the full shadow is kept in the frame.
Thanks Stuart,
Plant, yes, I agree I've lost a bit of detail on top of the shell.
Snappers choice (2), I have 15-16 different fruit images that I hope to make a panel from for a photography distinction.
Hands, I don't have one with a full shadow unfortunately.

Hand(s)
Really like the hand, not just from a photographic point of view, bit also the craftsmanship.
Thanks Dominic.

Well done collage Iain!

Back