weekly Boots' 52 for 2021

Half
A very interesting read, you've explained the concept well, as I had no idea of it before.

Half
Very interesting, photographers are nothing if not innovative especially if it’s a saving can be made.

I think the original Olympus Pen used half frames didn't it? I hadn't spotted it was half frame numbering and thought it was to do with the negative too. I love these snippets of info.

Did you put the negatives on a light box to photograph them?

I think the original Olympus Pen used half frames didn't it? Did you put the negatives on a light box to photograph them?

Yes, the Olympus Pen was a half frame camera, I believe. And, yes, I put the negs on a USB powered light box, then converted to B&W.

Thanks @Bebop!

Thanks for the explanation.. really interesting. I used film back in the day but have never heard of this before.

I'd never heard of that either, and I did grow up with film too (although the cameras were used to record activities, and less for the love of cameras).
Always good to see a bit of film.

I'd never heard of that either, and I did grow up with film too (although the cameras were used to record activities, and less for the love of cameras).
Always good to see a bit of film.
Thanks Tim!

Camera portraits are hard! Looks slightly blurred to me (although I've been at a screen all day so could be my eyes). I'd also take the strap off (which is usually a faff, so maybe not...)

Nice camera! (and very on-theme too!)

Camera portraits are hard! Looks slightly blurred to me (although I've been at a screen all day so could be my eyes). I'd also take the strap off (which is usually a faff, so maybe not...)

Nice camera! (and very on-theme too!)
Thanks Ian! I agree on all points.

Very nice camera it looks slightly under exposed I know your going for low key but the metallic elements of the camera seem a little dull

I like it, particularly the blue reflection in the lens in otherwise a pretty monochrome image. Only other comment is that on viewing large their seems to be a bit of light spilling into the top right corner, although could be my screen on the laptop doing something weird.

Nice old camera Paul, suits the theme well, I won't comment on how sharp it is as I'm viewing on a naff laptop.

Pete

Very nice camera it looks slightly under exposed I know your going for low key but the metallic elements of the camera seem a little dull

Fair point Allan!

I like it, particularly the blue reflection in the lens in otherwise a pretty monochrome image. Only other comment is that on viewing large their seems to be a bit of light spilling into the top right corner, although could be my screen on the laptop doing something weird.

I think you may be seeing the folds of the black velvet Steve.

Nice old camera Paul, suits the theme well, I won't comment on how sharp it is as I'm viewing on a naff laptop.

Thanks Pete! I think we can safely say it is not razor sharp - but it's an old camera, we wouldn't expect to be sharp, would we?

A lone Ikoflex may have made a stronger image.

A lone Ikoflex may have made a stronger image.

Thanks David.... But I felt I needed to try and demonstrate a reflection and that the internal mirror might not be enough.

Nice old cameras - presumably two cameras? And on theme. I'd agree with David that one camera (on the right) might have been enough, especially where the writing is an obvious reflection.
Just curious, as I have been playing with flash this morning to take my camera and me in the mirror, how did you light it?

Nice old cameras - presumably two cameras? And on theme. I'd agree with David that one camera (on the right) might have been enough, especially where the writing is an obvious reflection.
Just curious, as I have been playing with flash this morning to take my camera and me in the mirror, how did you light it?
Oh dear, sorry @Bebop I think I must have confused people - apologies for that everyone. This is one camera side on, and its reflection in a mirror. The lighting was very subdued and diffused by closing the curtains and letting light spill from the next room behind me. The black background is a large piece of black velvet to the left of the camera, and hence behind the reflected image.

Perhaps I should have taken a "behind the scenes shot".

Oh dear, sorry @Bebop I think I must have confused people - apologies for that everyone. This is one camera side on, and its reflection in a mirror. The lighting was very subdued and diffused by closing the curtains and letting light spill from the next room behind me. The black background is a large piece of black velvet to the left of the camera, and hence behind the reflected image.

Perhaps I should have taken a "behind the scenes shot".
Ah thank you for explaining. It is only because I am so ignorant and don't know what one side of an old camera looks like :LOL:

I understand now, but it's really funny because even though I knew what you were telling me, it still took a time for my brain to make sense of it. It's knowing the orientation of the mirror that is difficult.

I like the muted nature of this shot - it has the sense of old so suits the subject.

Actually, on reflection, I think I rushed the entry above, and there is a stronger, tighter crop in there. I'd be interested in your views.

Here is an alternative.
Rough 2.JPG

Crop for me too Paul, as there is more detail

I'd consider getting even closer and losing that edge on the left. It would make it a different image of course which might not be what you're interested in, but for me, this sort of "rough" is all about close up detail. Very much the crop is the better image (for me) because it's not immediately obvious what it is. Could even be the moon. 1st image is just a rock, which is bang on theme, but not setting the world on fire. (In My Opinion of course!!)

I prefer the first one to be honest as I like the space. Plus my eye is drawn from bottom left toward the brighter upper end of the stone along the grain and then the darkness, somehow it feels almost dynamic like a meteor.
Thanks Paul! Your description of the first one is just as I saw it. I completely get the meteor, that's what I was thinking as I worked on it.

I'd consider getting even closer and losing that edge on the left. It would make it a different image of course which might not be what you're interested in, but for me, this sort of "rough" is all about close up detail. Very much the crop is the better image (for me) because it's not immediately obvious what it is. Could even be the moon. 1st image is just a rock, which is bang on theme, but not setting the world on fire. (In My Opinion of course!!)
Thanks Ian! Your crop suggestion is certainly not one I had thought of. When I have tried things like that in the past I have been castigated for not having context - who knows it those judges/commentators were right.

When I zoomed I for the cropped version, I was seeing a whole different picture.

I was seeing a whole different picture.

I think that's the thing. Go in too close and you do lose context, but it's about the reason for taking the pic in the first place. Rough - to me - is about texture and not about what the subject actually is. In that instance, cropping is ok. But it very much is a different picture. Question is are you ok with that?

But it very much is a different picture. Question is are you ok with that?

Yes, I am, because it was closer to what I had visualised before I started.

But then, when I did start, it was a different image - and it was OK. But I lost the original vision.

Then, when I submitted, something just niggled, and I looked again. Pow! That's what I was looking for.

Yes, I am, because it was closer to what I had visualised before I started.
Sounding dangerously like a photographer there Paul. :)

Second one for me; with a little imagination one can see a planet. The first one? It looks like a stone and no more, if the background was completely black it would work better.

Reflection
Nice camera, would have liked the reflection to be stronger, the strap probably does get in the way abit spoiling the lines of the camera

The close up one for me it shows the texture better but there's nothing wrong with the first one both nail the theme

Definitely #2 - the detail almost has movement in it.. you can see how it has been formed.

Back