Beginner Brand new bridge or secondhand DSLR?

Name
Jazz
Edit My Images
Yes
So I'm currently using my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy s9+) and an old bridge camera, specifically a Polaroid is2132. The Polaroid is fine and all, but I've had it for about 8 years and am in the mood to treat myself a little bit and replace it but I'm unsure on what to buy as the replacement. For a bit of background, the majority of what I do is nature photography as I live near the Lakes and hike a lot, but I also like to snap away at family events and take pictures at gigs (obviously none of those two at the moment, but one day lol) so I'd obviously like something that works for both.

I'm on a bit of a limited budget so I've been considering secondhand/refurbed options as well as new cameras and have basically narrowed it down to two options. The Canon Powershot SX430 is about £180 at Argos which is well reviewed and it has good specs for what I'm after. However, I've also found a secondhand Canon 500D with 18-55mm lens included for £185, and I'm tempted by it as I also like the specs on it. I've a little bit of experience using other people's DSLRs, but I've never owned one myself so I'm far from an expert on them.

I'm just wondering which one people would recommend buying. On the one hand, I like that the 500D is a DSLR and seems very well reviewed, but on the other hand I'm aware that it's ~12 years old for the SX340s 4 years, so I'm wondering if the newer technology may be better?? I suppose what I'm asking is if the 500D holds up despite it's age and if it is worth almost two hundred quid as a beginner DSLR or if I'm better off spending the equivalent amount on a newer bridge, which I have more experience with?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Personally for what you do I would get a bridge but I would look at a used model ( no idea what make ) have a look on MPB .
The link Used Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ82 (mpb.com) gives you some idea so have a browse and see what you can get for your money.
Also do a search on here for bridge cameras

This Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 Review | Photography Blog discusses the one in the link so you get an idea what you get

Not a lot of point as the OP will have no Classified access with only 1 post :)

Just saying :) and avoid 2nd hand if you can - new ( for me) is always a better option when buy Camera gear - No nothing of Bridge Cameras so cannot advise on these things - good luck in whatever you buy & welcome to the forum Jazz

Les

To get a better price for anything just go to Google and type in what you want followed by the words best price.

Not a lot of point as the OP will have no Classified access with only 1 post :)

Just saying :) and avoid 2nd hand if you can - new ( for me) is always a better option when buy Camera gear - No nothing of Bridge Cameras so cannot advise on these things - good luck in whatever you buy & welcome to the forum Jazz

Les
I was not suggesting he look in the classifieds I was suggesting he look for bridge cameras in general to get an idea of what is available and which does what and see what people think of different makes/models

It all depends on what you want to achieve with it. Some bridge camera offer great potential however a dslr will offer you more options.

The bridge is likely to be a a one off purchase (unless it has changeable lenses) whereas the dslr will mean looking at different lenses depending on what direction your photography takes.

A dslr will likely be heavier and more bits to carry on your hikes than a bridge.

I've just picked up a Canon 40D released on 2007 with shutter count of 12k for £85 on Facebook marketplace. Its got a weather sealed body and I prefer it over the smaller bodies, but it has less megapixels than a 500d and doesn't shoot video (I didn't want video!). I picked up a 50mm lens for £45 but could have had a zoom for similar money.

Lenses on dslrs can get expensive so depending on how much you want to spend on camera gear in the future (if anything!) that's a serious consideration.

I've bought second hand off of Facebook, and ebay and got some good prices and quality kit but it comes with a risk, buying from a 2nd hand dealer often provides you with a short warranty. If buying 2nd hand use PayPal and a credit card to give yourself some protection.

Don't write off older bodies, it's not all about megapixels.
@Rides and Rambles has bought a 40D which is still a cracking camera for it's age.
When I first got into digital photography, I wasted money on lenses because I didn't have a clue.
Lenses you invest in and bodies you replace every few years if need be.

Personally for what you do I would get a bridge but I would look at a used model ( no idea what make ) have a look on MPB .
The link Used Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ82 (mpb.com) gives you some idea so have a browse and see what you can get for your money.
Also do a search on here for bridge cameras

This Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 Review | Photography Blog discusses the one in the link so you get an idea what you get

Sorry I must have mis-understood this part of your reply :)

I've bought quite a lot of used kit and rarely had a problem. I suppose it'll help to be careful who you buy from and if possible buy from companies with good reputations or if buying from the likes of evil bay buy from people with very good feedback.

I don't think I'd consider buying a DSLR myself as I much prefer mirrorless but one thing for DSLR's is that there are some bargains about and £185 for a camera and lens does seem a reasonable price although a quick look at evil bay shows a couple of buy it nows which are slightly cheaper.

To the OP.

Do you 'really' need to replace your camera?
Have you learned anything about composition, what aperture to use, what ISO to use etc with what you've already got?

Back