Bronica Medium Format Owners Thread

I've just listed some bits on the old Bay of E. Hopefully this will make me feel better about buying that lens - all these bits came with my SQ-A and I'm unlikely to use them.

Last edited:
I've just listed a Lindahl vignetter, plates, Speed Grip S and a 220 back for sale on the old Bay of E. Hopefully this will make me feel better about buying that lens - all these bits came with my SQ-A and I'm unlikely to use them. A linky is here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232118162164 - if anyone from Talk Fusty & Crusty fancies any of the bits then let me know and I can do you a bit of a deal :)

You're selling the grip? That's one of the great features and advantages of the SQ series compared to many other medium format systems.

You're selling the grip? That's one of the great features and advantages of the SQ series compared to many other medium format systems.

Yup - didn't really get on with it. Looks like I priced things a bit low, they're flying away! Oh well, more space for more stuff :)

I haven't used anything longer than 180mm on the SQ series cameras, but I've never had a problem with any of the lenses in the Bronica system, so hopefully you find it to be a solid performer.

The only thing I'd note about the 250mm is the rather long minimum focus distance, which is why I had personally opted for the 180mm lens. If you want to do tight head shots, you might need to pick up an extension tube. I hope that you enjoy the lens.

Cheers. I'm away at present so it should be waiting for me when I get back next week and I'll see how I get on. 180mm would have been lovely but not easy to find and I suspect they go for strong money.

180mm would have been lovely but not easy to find and I suspect they go for strong money.

I had the 180mm for sale on here awhile back for £150 or so; I can't quite remember the exact price. There were no takers at the time, unfortunately, for what is an awesome lens.

I ultimately ended up selling the lens to WY Cameras and it then eventually made its way into the hands of @Sir SR.

I had the 180mm for sale on here awhile back for £150 or so; I can't quite remember the exact price. There were no takers at the time, unfortunately, for what is an awesome lens.

I ultimately ended up selling the lens to WY Cameras and it then eventually made its way into the hands of @Sir SR.

And it's lovely!!

Just under 200 from wyc - it's pretty rare from what I can see and this was in great condition!

@skysh4rk - Changed my mind about selling the grip last night, after I tried it again! The 50mm lens is gorgeous too - I might try a quick trip out to test it this weekend. Some lovely autumn colours near me, if the weather holds.

@skysh4rk - Changed my mind about selling the grip last night, after I tried it again! The 50mm lens is gorgeous too - I might try a quick trip out to test it this weekend. Some lovely autumn colours near me, if the weather holds.

It makes it easy to do a bit of fill flash too, which is one of the strengths of a leaf-shutter system.

what's the Bronica Tech Manual please?

Any Bronica GS-1 users/shooters here ? Would love to hear what you think of this camera please....

Appreciated;
Peter

I had a GS1 a while ago. An extremely nice camera with beautiful lenses, I only put 2 or 3 rolls through it as I found it much too bulky and heavy for my needs and I really dont get on with removable backs. But overall it was a very capable piece of kit.

Andy

I'm thinking of selling some SQ lenses and other bits and bobs. Can anyone suggest any of the secondhand retailers who might be interested?

40mm S, 150mm S and a 250mm PS. Think there's a SQAI 120 back there too. Seem to remember somebody talking a bout a dealer that stocked a bit of bronny stuff.

I'd be interested in a few of those bits - especially a back[emoji106]

That should complete my line up now with a 40, 75 and 180. I only really wanted an extra back but thought the 49 was a worthwhile addition.

We are in the process of choosing pics to put up around the house and decided I needed to take more pics of stuff which wasn't people!!

I've managed to get my 9 year old very excited about film! We now have decided that a small corner of the loft will be used for developing - just need to get the kit!

She was really patient with the manual focus on the bronica - I guess we will see when we develop the film!!

IMG_1478923080.643896.jpg

Anyone else have an annoying habit of not turning off the meter on their ETRS prism finder? It's becoming a bit of a tradition of mine to go away on holiday and then realise when I arrive that the meter is dead because I didn't turn it off last time I used it.

Need to buy a stock of batteries and keep them in my bag I think. Or I could learn to switch it off I guess!

Anyone else have an annoying habit of not turning off the meter on their ETRS prism finder? It's becoming a bit of a tradition of mine to go away on holiday and then realise when I arrive that the meter is dead because I didn't turn it off last time I used it.

Need to buy a stock of batteries and keep them in my bag I think. Or I could learn to switch it off I guess!
Guilty! I have the ae iii finder and keep realising that I've left it switched on, usually days afterwards in my case. I've got a few spare batteries in my bag just in case.

H'mm gave a warning ages ago..Carl you must make a point to read my scintillating posts :D

Guilty! I have the ae iii finder and keep realising that I've left it switched on, usually days afterwards in my case. I've got a few spare batteries in my bag just in case.

I think that's what I'm going to have to do! I was in Dartmoor at the weekend when it died on me, but luckily I managed to find a small Boots that had a battery. Might have to buy a few off Amazon and stuff them in the pocket on the side of the bag.

H'mm gave a warning ages ago..Carl you must make a point to read my scintillating posts :D

Indeed you did Brian, I remember it well! My problem isn't reading your warning, but remembering it :D

Indeed you did Brian, I remember it well! My problem isn't reading your warning, but remembering it :D

When I used the ETRS not so long ago it wouldn't fire, and thought "no this can't happen" so started the usual checks like shutter button not locked etc anyway just about to give up and go home when I noticed something that I never do (well until now) was to leave the dark slide in. :rolleyes:

Leaving the darkslide in has caused many an unsavoury phrase to be shouted into a beautiful landscape here :p

Even more odd for me as I don't have any extra detacheable backs so no need for a dark slide, so it's left at home, but going on holiday do carry it in the camera bag just in case.

huh.....???

is this a wind on thing...or a wind...up

I need a darkslide to stop the damn thing taking pictures in the boot
I need a darkslide just to remove the back
I totally need a darkslide
If the camera didn't have one....I'd throw the whole lot away just to save me from the diabolicalisms of not having one...:D

yawl nutz

huh.....???

If the camera didn't have one....I'd throw the whole lot away just to save me from the diabolicalisms of not having one...:D

yawl nutz
Haha well there's always the locking collar around the shutter release to prevent accidents. And if someone only has the 1 film back there is no need to remove it. It's possible to reload with the back still attached to the camera and probably not too fiddly. I do have extra backs so I keep my dark slides in and then get annoyed when I have to find a suitable place to keep them whilst I shoot. If only Bronica had taken a leaf out of Mamiya's book and included a slot on the film back to store them.

Last edited:
huh.....???

yawl nutz

Yeah, on Bronicas you just twist the shutter button and it locks it so that no photos can be taken. No need for the dark slide to prevent accidental exposures.

If only Bronica had taken a leaf out of Mamiya's book and included a slot on the film back to store them.

Well, actually, some Bronica cameras (e.g., EC, EC-TL) had that slot feature, possibly before Mamiya ever did. I know at least the Rolleiflex SL66 had this feature earlier than either Bronica or Mamiya though.

I'm not sure why Bronica did not include the dark slide holder for later models...

I agree with @mdjchat . I use the twisting lock on the shutter to stop it firing off randomly in my bag, and I just change the roll whilst the back is still on the camera. It's not too fiddly really.

Twist the shutter button? This is news to me. On the SQ-A too?

I don't own an SQA, but the online manual seems to indicate that it has one :) If it's the same as the ETRS then it's the collar around the base of the shutter button that twists, not the button itself.

SQA.JPG

I use the twisting lock on the shutter to stop it firing off randomly in my bag,

Or just don't set the camera to fire ;) I try never to leave a camera "primed" and everyone can argue all day that it doesn't matter if the springs are in tension or compression as long as they are in their design parameters......but why take a chance over many years.

Or just don't set the camera to fire ;) I try never to leave a camera "primed" and everyone can argue all day that it doesn't matter if the springs are in tension or compression as long as they are in their design parameters......but why take a chance over many years.

Habit I guess. I usually leave mine ready to use so that I can grab a photo quickly if an opportunity comes up. Not that I can take photos quickly with manual focus mind!

The rotate to lock also works to hold the shutter open in bulb, you can lock it with the shutter open or closed, at least you can on mine, dunno about SQ's.
I suppose it makes more sense if you are an auto winder, I am an auto winder, doesn't matter what camera it is after taking a shot I wind on, even if I'm putting it back in the bag its a wind on no matter what.
Experience has taught me not to be faffin about like as clumsy oaf with a fiddly rotary shutter button trying to lock it with the camera ready to shoot, and I don't have to because.......I have a darkslide..:D
Also as with most old cameras that are subject to the odd mechanical anomaly once in a while, not being able to diagnose that "anomaly" there and then with the ability to remove the back, renders the thing useless till you get one.
I'm a big fan of darkslides....:D

Back