Bronica Medium Format Owners Thread

That SQ-A set up has both the waist level and eye level finders though. ;)

Oh dear... oh dear...

I wonder how much a 120 Rondinax is, on top?

Looking into getting an SQ-A I think (still looking at the ETRS too, mind), mainly for the reason that my C220 is broken and my RB67 is too much of a monster to carry about all day. Just wondering if anyone has an RB and an SQ-A that would be able to take a photo with them next to each other for size comparison?

Whats up with your C220? Theres not much a CLA can't sort out.

I have an SQ-B Carl and I saw an RB for the first time recently.

I was surprised how big, I mean big, the RB is.

Whats up with your C220? Theres not much a CLA can't sort out.

I was on holiday in Paris in January and knocked my camera bag off the bed, which damaged the wind on handle so the frame spacing's a bit hit and miss, with some overlapping. I also seem to have screwed the focus of the lens up because the plane of focus on the images always seems to be about a foot or two in front of where I focused. I assume that just means that the two lenses are out of sync? I'm sure I could send the lens off for a CLA but it doesn't seem worth the effort when the frame spacing's off anyway. Also, I'm using "my camera's broken so I need (not want) another one to replace it" to justify buying another one :LOL:

I have an SQ-B Carl and I saw an RB for the first time recently.

I was surprised how big, I mean big, the RB is.

Hmm that's what I was thinking, I've not seen any other MF SLRs in the flesh so I'm not sure how big the RB really is in comparison. Unfortunately there aren't any shops near to me to have a proper fondle of an SQ, so it's handy that you have first hand experience! As long as it's small and light enough to carry around a city on a weekend break, then I'm sure I'll be happy!

Through the magic of Google Images, there's -
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/kevin_phan/D70s/Comparison.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/kevin_phan/D70s/Comparison2.jpg

I own an SQ-A, and I find it a bit unwieldy. I've seen an RB67, and I don't understand how people hand-hold the thing :p

How the hell did you find that so easily?? I spent quite a while on Google and hardly found anything :LOL:

That's exactly what I was after, thanks a lot Keith :)

Oh, and I don't hand hold it as such. I just use it with a WLF and then I can rest it on my beer belly when I take a photo :D

I was on holiday in Paris in January and knocked my camera bag off the bed, which damaged the wind on handle so the frame spacing's a bit hit and miss, with some overlapping. I also seem to have screwed the focus of the lens up because the plane of focus on the images always seems to be about a foot or two in front of where I focused. I assume that just means that the two lenses are out of sync? I'm sure I could send the lens off for a CLA but it doesn't seem worth the effort when the frame spacing's off anyway. Also, I'm using "my camera's broken so I need (not want) another one to replace it" to justify buying another one :LOL:
Ah, now I understand.

blimey, i had a sq-b a few years back and forgot how "small" it was! all that extra tonnage for another 1cm!

Ahh......but.....1cm makes all the difference..

syxr0n.jpg

Does anyone know how to tell the different MC, E, EII and PE lenses apart from looking at photos of an ETRS? I've seen an ETRSi for sale that I quite like the look of and am tempted to go look at it tomorrow afternoon, but it would be good to know what sort the 75mm lens is before I go

Does anyone know how to tell the different MC, E, EII and PE lenses apart from looking at photos of an ETRS? I've seen an ETRSi for sale that I quite like the look of and am tempted to go look at it tomorrow afternoon, but it would be good to know what sort the 75mm lens is before I go

I believe the E-11 has a green ring round the front of the lens and the MC has a silver-ish one. I don't think the PE has a coloured ring around it, but check out the eBay link and see if there are any there that help you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...nica+75mm.TRS0&_nkw=bronica+75mm&_sacat=78997

I believe the E-11 has a green ring round the front of the lens and the MC has a silver-ish one. I don't think the PE has a coloured ring around it, but check out the eBay link and see if there are any there that help you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...nica+75mm.TRS0&_nkw=bronica+75mm&_sacat=78997

Thanks Peter, I'd seen some E-II lenses had a green ring but I wasn't sure if it was the E lenses as well. I've found a similar looking lens on ebay which is an MC lens.

Is there much of a difference between all the versions, and do you think the difference is enough to pay much more for? If a PE lens is ten times better than an MC then I might hold out for one, but if it's barely noticeable then I won't be too worried!

Can't really help Carl, since I have the SQ and the lenses for them are either S or PS, which I think equates to E-11 and PE respectively. There was a lot of debate about the S/PS differences, but I think there wasn't much at the standard 80mm lenses. There were arguments about the teles and even more about the wideangles, but I think you'd be OK at 75mm. There may be an additional difference in that the PE might have half stops and the E-11 only full stops, but I could well be wrong on that count.

The big difference between S and PS is full/half stop detents. Is there similar for the Etrs lenses?

Just dug out the "Complete Bronica User Guide" which confirms that PE lenses were introduced in 1992 and included half click stops. It also says that Bronica used MTF (modulation transfer function) "to improve the optics".

Thanks guys, doesn't sound like there's a huge amount to worry about between them then :) I found a pretty good deal on fleabay that comes with an E-II lens, and I've just won it a few minutes ago. Can't wait for it to arrive :)

Thanks guys, doesn't sound like there's a huge amount to worry about between them then :) I found a pretty good deal on fleabay that comes with an E-II lens, and I've just won it a few minutes ago. Can't wait for it to arrive :)

In theory the PE lenses are the best, but there are two versions of the older cheaper 150mm lens i.e. MC and the one that supposed to be better is the f3.5...anyway I played safe and got that one rather than be persuaded by some that you can't see the difference between the f4 one.

The ETRS arrived today, and I love it already. Took it out in the garden to see what it's like to focus with, and holy hell it's on a different level to anything else I've used. The viewfinder is so bright and super easy to focus with, I can't wait to try it out for real :D
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...lated-toy-thread.239121/page-176#post-7287304
I know @skysh4rk has been saying this about Bronicas for ages, and I hate to admit that he was right, but it seems much easier to use than the Hassie!

Clicky for photo in the new film toy thread

Last edited:
What is the standard focus screen like on the SQA compared to a standard Hasselblad screen? I've been using the ETRS a lot lately (13 rolls in New York over 5 days) and I got used to having a really clear bright screen in which things clearly snapped into focus in the microprisms, and yesterday I used the Hasselblad 500c/m for the first time in several weeks, and the screen looked really dull and difficult to tell what's in focus and what's not! I'm sure part of the reason the ETRS is so much better is because of the prism instead of the WLF, but I think the Hassie screen is just duller and darker (it's not an acute matte). Interested to hear how good the screens on the SQA are, and how easy they are to focus?

What is the standard focus screen like on the SQA compared to a standard Hasselblad screen? I've been using the ETRS a lot lately (13 rolls in New York over 5 days) and I got used to having a really clear bright screen in which things clearly snapped into focus in the microprisms, and yesterday I used the Hasselblad 500c/m for the first time in several weeks, and the screen looked really dull and difficult to tell what's in focus and what's not! I'm sure part of the reason the ETRS is so much better is because of the prism instead of the WLF, but I think the Hassie screen is just duller and darker (it's not an acute matte). Interested to hear how good the screens on the SQA are, and how easy they are to focus?

It's a while since I had the SQ, but I'm sure it was a lot easier to focus than my 503. I think the SQ had a split screen with a microprism ring and my 'blad has a plain acute matte. The SQ just worked like most other cameras I've owned, and the focus point was obvious. Nothing 'snaps' into focus for me with the 503; I usually have to wiggle focus back and forth a bit and watch a straight edge until it's obvious where the sweet spot is. I'd estimate the screens were roughly the same brightness.

It's a while since I had the SQ, but I'm sure it was a lot easier to focus than my 503. I think the SQ had a split screen with a microprism ring and my 'blad has a plain acute matte. The SQ just worked like most other cameras I've owned, and the focus point was obvious. Nothing 'snaps' into focus for me with the 503; I usually have to wiggle focus back and forth a bit and watch a straight edge until it's obvious where the sweet spot is. I'd estimate the screens were roughly the same brightness.

That's great, thank you :) Now I just have to resist buying one!

Just found this Bronica thread. I bought a ETRs earlier this year and used it in anger for the first time over the last fortnight on Mull. Films are currently with Snappy Snaps for developing and scanning.

My first impression is heavy, particularly since I had it on a tripod. If nothing else, the thought of the film expense made me more considered in my shooting.

Just found this Bronica thread. I bought a ETRs earlier this year and used it in anger for the first time over the last fortnight on Mull. Films are currently with Snappy Snaps for developing and scanning.

My first impression is heavy, particularly since I had it on a tripod. If nothing else, the thought of the film expense made me more considered in my shooting.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-0 ;)

I had to click through to that to work out why they were specifically targeting MF camera owners...

Interested to hear how good the screens on the SQA are, and how easy they are to focus?

Well, this'll probably come as a shock, but I think the SQ screens are the best in medium format. The screens have a great balance between brightness and contrast.

Great camera system overall too.

I would imagine the screens in the ETR series are identical except for size.

Hello, Ive been browsing the forum for a while and decided to join in. I shoot digital and film using Nikon gear mainly and have just bought myself a Bronica ETRSi kit to get back to some MF tomfoolery. Anything I need to know?

• Bronica ETRSi body

• Bronica Zenzanon f2.8 50mm

• Bronica Zenzanon f2.8 75mm

• Bronica Zenzanon f3.5 150mm

• Bronica AE-II prism viewfinder

• Bronica waist level viewfinder

Hello, Ive been browsing the forum for a while and decided to join in. I shoot digital and film using Nikon gear mainly and have just bought myself a Bronica ETRSi kit to get back to some MF tomfoolery. Anything I need to know?

• Bronica ETRSi body

• Bronica Zenzanon f2.8 50mm

• Bronica Zenzanon f2.8 75mm

• Bronica Zenzanon f3.5 150mm

• Bronica AE-II prism viewfinder

• Bronica waist level viewfinder

You must get the speed grip to go with the prism viewfinder, unless you are happy with just the waist level viewfinder...happy shooting

The ebay listing had a photo of the kit in the bag. It looks like a grip was in the corner of the bag but wasn't listed. I will find out when it arrives. Didn't want to ask in case it got removed. Cheap enough to get assuming what comes all works and I've not bought dud. I have bought a new battery or two, a second back so I can run colour and B&W at the same time and a 62mm ring for my Cokin Z grads and a step up for my 77mm yellow/red/Pol/ND filter collection. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Last edited:
Just get some film and get shooting, Ian! Nice stuff on your web site, have a look at the Portraits on Film thread, maybe add some there? We're always hungry to see what "new" members here take!

well, its all arrived OK and took an hour or so to work out how it works, comes apart and goes back together. Film arrived yesterday so I'm all set. Can't decide whether to be brave and go to he studio after work or wait until the weekend and do some pebble beach, surf and breakwater or the old favourite windmill a short walk away. I did buy a second back so I can have B&W and colour options; nice feature after having the wrong film in SLRs!

Back