Bronica Medium Format Owners Thread

So I'm happy to share my good news here first, my test rolls have come back and no issues with any of my new kit (except the first 65mm which has been replaced).

Here's my first test shot using the 80mm.

Letterbox-1 downsize.jpg

And here's the original scanned 18mb TIFF downsized for the Forum of course.

15140001downsize.jpg

I can already see I need to work on the leveling to avoid skewed uprights/horizons but overall I'm happy with the first shot.

So I'm happy to share my good news here first, my test rolls have come back and no issues with any of my new kit (except the first 65mm which has been replaced).

Here's my first test shot using the 80mm.

View attachment 252436

And here's the original scanned 18mb TIFF downsized for the Forum of course.

View attachment 252437

I can already see I need to work on the leveling to avoid skewed uprights/horizons but overall I'm happy with the first shot.

Looks very nice, Paul. Is that a waist level finder? I find those difficult to get on with, but things improved when I put my TLR on a monopod. It reduces the degrees of freedom a bit and makes the whole thing easier to control.

Looks very nice, Paul. Is that a waist level finder? I find those difficult to get on with, but things improved when I put my TLR on a monopod. It reduces the degrees of freedom a bit and makes the whole thing easier to control.
Hi Chris, yes WLF but on a tripod so just me being sloppy. I just need a minute to get back used to the WLF don't ever remember it being an issue back in my film days.

Been there done it, SQAi, Pentax 6x45, whilst I may look back and think should I again....... it is always NEVER, as a lover of photography, there were only "the good old days" because we had not yet had anything else, when Digital came out it was the best thing to happen to photography, I have re bought, my first cameras, Nikon F Photomic FTn, Nikkormat and re sold them wondering "Why did I bother"

Enjoy your kit, sincerely, I hope it gives you many many hours of enjoyment but I am looking forward

Each to their own. Sigh...

But how much fun do you have? I have three digital cameras and use two of them most weeks. I also have 52 film cameras and use most of them as well (but not every week!). The pictures resulting from all 55 cameras are different - none are 'better' but each is different - and allow me to express myself in different ways. Your Digital camera - regardless of model - cannot reproduce the pictures from my Bronica ETRs. I am not talking about resolution or "sharpness" but the feel and atmosphere of the resulting picture. My Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex does that differently again, thanks to the excellent Tessar lens. Digital is excellent at cold, precise pictures but film is better for art. Vinyl audio recordings surpass digital for much the same set of reasons.

It absolutely baffles me why people come into the film section and berate what we do in here. I never go into any of the digital threads and post how the images people produce and clinically perfect, follow the rules of composition, have no blown highlights or blocked shadows, can be zoomed in to 400% (seriously, why?)and are completely sterile and leave me feeling cold.

There are full time professionals making artistic choices to shoot entirely on film still because it is what allows them to express their vision yet people in their bubbles don’t see, to realise that.

I’m not anti digital at all. There’s some stunning work produced on ALL formats by a lot of people, it’s just not for me personally, but I don’t go and bitch about it on people’s threads, I just stay away from them.

And well bread...

It absolutely baffles me why people come into the film section and berate what we do in here. I never go into any of the digital threads and post how the images people produce and clinically perfect, follow the rules of composition, have no blown highlights or blocked shadows, can be zoomed in to 400% (seriously, why?)and are completely sterile and leave me feeling cold.

There are full time professionals making artistic choices to shoot entirely on film still because it is what allows them to express their vision yet people in their bubbles don’t see, to realise that.

I’m not anti digital at all. There’s some stunning work produced on ALL formats by a lot of people, it’s just not for me personally, but I don’t go and bitch about it on people’s threads, I just stay away from them.

In fairness Gareth; if the thread appears on the front page then your not easily sure what part of the forum you are posting in.

I have posted in the 'professional area' by mistake in the past only to be 'bollocked' that I was in there!

In fairness Gareth; if the thread appears on the front page then your not easily sure what part of the forum you are posting in.

I have posted in the 'professional area' by mistake in the past only to be 'bollocked' that I was in there!

Whilst I agree with that in theory, I’m talking about people deliberately posting in threads that are related to film about how terrible it is and why they don’t understand that people do it and how they’ve no desire to return to film and how much better digital is and that things move on, etc. It’s not by mistake and it’s not just this one occasion or individual either.

Happened to notice a young chap by the Norwegian Church in Cardiff bay just after 2 today with a Bronica. No idea if they are a member on here or not as I didn't have time to chat as I was on my way back to work.

That's the first film camera I've seen in the wild for quite some time.

Topsy,
Really nice images. Bridge Cottage is really moody. I assume you are using a Bronica, but there are many images on this Bronica forum shot with other cameras. The vertical format suggests something else. Comment?

Topsy,
Really nice images. Bridge Cottage is really moody. I assume you are using a Bronica, but there are many images on this Bronica forum shot with other cameras. The vertical format suggests something else. Comment?

Crops, comment?

Topsy,

Thanks.

Yes Bronica SQ-Ai with 65mm lens. The shots are square (at least they were when I posted them but because they are 12x12 inches they scroll off the screen and appear taller than wide. The lone tree is the same combination. Note to self post 10x10 inches in future.

2_edited-1.jpg

Just tried an 8 inch but the forum loaded it 12 inch?????????

Last edited:
The forum accepts images up to 1024 pixels either way (I don't think inches make much sense as screen pixels vary so much in size...). I've found a 1024 pixel wide (landscape) image works well in most cases, but for either square or portrait images I usually select the 800 pixel option in flickr, as it sees more likely we'll see all of the image on one page. My display may be 2880 x 1800, but there are so many lost pixels in the forum software, headers, footers, menu bars etc that 800 pixels seems about the best. YMMV of course!

Hi All,

I wondered whether anyone had any experience of replacing a broken mirror lock-up lever on an ETRSI - the plastic lever has come off (looks like it has been repaired before). I've ordered a replacement from eBay. There is a small screw underneath where the little lever sits - I wondered whether that screw is what holds the lever in place??

Any advice welcome! Can't find anything by googling.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi All,

I wondered whether anyone had any experience of replacing a broken mirror lock-up lever on an ETRSI - the plastic lever has come off (looks like it has been repaired before). I've ordered a replacement from eBay. There is a small screw underneath where the little lever sits - I wondered whether that screw is what holds the lever in place??

Any advice welcome! Can't find anything by googling.

Cheers,
Tom
Mine broke on my SQ-Ai, the ring split (user error) but I managed to glue it. I tried to get a replacement but couldn't find one so bought the one for the ETRS it is the same fitting. The lever sits on a square pivot and the screw holds it in place, there's then a cover glued over the screw head (on the SQ-Ai), I never fitted the replacement because the glue is holding but I have it in case.

Thanks Paul. I only engaged the mirror lock-up a couple of times but it seems like there was an awful lot of resistance for the mechanism they’ve designed. Not surprised they have a tendency to break. What was the user error that caused yours to break? Maybe I can avoid the same next time?

Thanks Paul. I only engaged the mirror lock-up a couple of times but it seems like there was an awful lot of resistance for the mechanism they’ve designed. Not surprised they have a tendency to break. What was the user error that caused yours to break? Maybe I can avoid the same next time?

I think I tried to lock the mirror before cocking the shutter, can't remember really but I was certain it was something I did rather than a camera fault. It's not happened since.

Hi guys... just found this Bronica forum. I have recently got myself an ETRSi with the usual standard 'bits', waist level finder, couple of 120 film backs 75mm EC lens. Yesterday I won an eBay auction for a AE-II prism finder which, I consider a bargain at £65.00. I have had dealing with the seller in the past so I know his stuff is pukka.

Having had experience, 30 years ago processing and printing B/W film and never being happy with the results (too kack-handed my wife tells me..) this time I'm thinking of going down the road of having film processed but putting it through a scanner so I can 'play' with the results. I'm looking at getting an Epson V550 scanner.

Now this is all a new concept to me so I'd be more than grateful to hear your pros and cons on this. I have been taking photographs of one sort or another for nigh on 50 years.. and I'm still learning - and happy to do so.

Over to you chaps, and thanks in advance.

Hi guys... just found this Bronica forum. I have recently got myself an ETRSi with the usual standard 'bits', waist level finder, couple of 120 film backs 75mm EC lens. Yesterday I won an eBay auction for a AE-II prism finder which, I consider a bargain at £65.00. I have had dealing with the seller in the past so I know his stuff is pukka.

Having had experience, 30 years ago processing and printing B/W film and never being happy with the results (too kack-handed my wife tells me..) this time I'm thinking of going down the road of having film processed but putting it through a scanner so I can 'play' with the results. I'm looking at getting an Epson V550 scanner.

Now this is all a new concept to me so I'd be more than grateful to hear your pros and cons on this. I have been taking photographs of one sort or another for nigh on 50 years.. and I'm still learning - and happy to do so.

Hi Tom, welcome aboard the MF train. Can't help with the scanning etc I have mine done at a lab but good to see this thread visited again. Hopefully after lockdown we'll all be able to get out and play again and start to put some content back in this thread.

I'm looking at getting an Epson V550 scanner.

These were scanned with a V550 (Shot on an SL66 so 120 at 6x6 rather than 4.5x6) but nothing wrong with a V550, quite a few people on here use that model. Be prepared to buy some scanning software though, there are two main players, Silverfast and Vuescan - mention of either one of these usual causes factional fighting to break out but personally I use and prefer Silverfast, just don't tell anyone :)

Arnside6 by Chris H, on Flickr

Arnside2 by Chris H, on Flickr

Arnside10 by Chris H, on Flickr

(click for larger on flickr)

Hi Tom
From the guys here with MF film they all seem happy with the results from a V550 scanner, I have the V750 and IMO only a larger crop would show the difference and maybe a bit more detail in the shadows and can do more film frames at a scan, but the V700 or V750 is a lot more expensive and for normal photography probably is not worth the extra costs.
If you are interested in keeping costs down you can dev B\W film yourself and scan, but for colour I find it is best to get dev and low scan (with an index) e.g. filmdev for £4 and by any chance find a winner among my shots I would scan that frame myself.
enjoy

Hi Tom, welcome to F&C. There's a nifty price estimator mentioned in the starter post of the "Film Developing in the UK" thread (itself linked from the "Tutorials and Resources" thread in the stickies. The nifty price estimator will give you an idea of the relative costs of processing with or without scans at a number of the more popular labs. A lot of folk on here use AG or Peak for dev-only (their scans are expensive) or Filmdev for Dev+Scan.

There's also a Big Scanner thread, not currently a resource and perhaps a bit further down the threads.

If you buy an Epson V550, you should get Epson Scan (2?) included; a number of folk on here use it very successfully. If you want to go a bit better with your scanning software, Vuescan Pro is the obvious choice (don't listen to that @sirch bloke!)... ( ;):p )... buy it once, use it for all your scanners and get it updated indefiniteyl for nowt, not to mention cheaper in the first place... Mind you, Chris does seem to get some very nice results from his!

I have a V500, and when I scan 6x6 negatives processed elsewhere they come back cut in 3s, but the V500 120 film holder is only big enough for 2 frames. This is a Right Royal PITA! I don't know if the V550 (or V600) share this problem.

Good luck, and we'd love to see some of your results...

I have a V500, and when I scan 6x6 negatives processed elsewhere they come back cut in 3s, but the V500 120 film holder is only big enough for 2 frames. This is a Right Royal PITA! I don't know if the V550 (or V600) share this problem.

The V550 holder takes three 6x6 frames and four 6x4.5. I’ve never scanned 6x7 or 6x9, but assume it’ll take three and two frames respectively for those.

Thanks Nige. Serves me right for buying the cheapest!

I usually do 6x7 one frame at a time it's a little tricky to get it lined up just so.

This is my Flickr album of Bronica ETRSi photos. All shot with the 75mm f/2.8 Zenzanon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fishyfish/albums/72157709430315996

Apart from one roll of Fuji Pro 400H, all the images have been scanned on my Epson V550.

Thanks for the info guys. Couple of questions I'd like answers to is I know there are three models of lenses that work with the ETRSi. The MC, which I have, the EII with the nice green ring, and the PE. Are these lenses derived from date, such as the MC being the oldest, EII being next and PE's being the latest models?. Also, should I have a little 'play' in my WLF, obviously when it's fitted to the body. It's rock solid front to back but there does appear to be a tiny amount of lateral movement.

Oh yes.. just remembered.. any suggestions as to where I can find a horizontal split focus screen? I have a diagonal one and I really can't get on with it. Nothing on eBay and IanB's website has nothing, likewise all the other sites I've hit on..

MC being the oldest, EII being next and PE's being the latest models?

Correct and I suppose the next question would be "Can I see the difference in results of those lenses in a large photo". Well you can trawl the net to see if any one has compared them but even then the results might not be entirely accurate because all lenses are produced in "large\mass" quantities and because of copy variations\tolerances in manufacture each lens cannot be guaranteed to be exactly the same (I don't know if this applies to Zeiss and Leica). So e.g. a "spot on" MC lens can give better results compared to very slightly inferior PE lens because of tolerances....if pixel peeping.
I remember in the old days the pros used to go to their friendly Nikon shop and test a few of the same Nikon lens and buy the best one for results that they wanted. So buying a lens can be a bit of a gamble to get the best copy of a lens and keeps the digi pixel peeping forums going comparing lenses erm but mostly 35mm lenses.
Anyway these copy variations can be small so not to worry as for normal photography you probably wouldn't noticed the difference from the better manufacturers.

Thanks for the info guys. Couple of questions I'd like answers to is I know there are three models of lenses that work with the ETRSi. The MC, which I have, the EII with the nice green ring, and the PE. Are these lenses derived from date, such as the MC being the oldest, EII being next and PE's being the latest models?. Also, should I have a little 'play' in my WLF, obviously when it's fitted to the body. It's rock solid front to back but there does appear to be a tiny amount of lateral movement.

Oh yes.. just remembered.. any suggestions as to where I can find a horizontal split focus screen? I have a diagonal one and I really can't get on with it. Nothing on eBay and IanB's website has nothing, likewise all the other sites I've hit on..

The MC are the oldest lenses, PE the most recent. All have differing optical design, I believe. The PE lenses have half-stop aperture settings too, which I don’t think the older versions have.

Horizontal split-prisms turn up on the usual sites if you keep an eye out, but they tend to fetch high prices.

Back