Bruja's Photo 52 + Night

sorry to hear you've been struggling with your health, I hope the beautiful weather and scenery help you. Another great shot and I agree I'd be inspired if I woke up to that every day.
Mark(y)

hi Jill,

well I've finally recovered enough to start commenting and getting back into things.

complex: I love the thinking behind this shot, people are the most complex thing on the planet! A lovely self portrait

time: Agian antoher technically excellent shot, with a fab subject to boot!

inspiration: I so love this shot, reminds me of mum's (not surprising as she is probably only ten mins away from you!) and you are right we often take what we have for granted
well done!!:clap::clap::clap:

To make a permanent move to a country you'd never even visited before was an enormous leap of faith. I'm so glad it was the right decision for you - and when I look at that view I can see why you love it so much. :)

It's the sort of picture any estate agent in Spain would give their eye teeth to put on the front of a brochure - totally gorgeous - and while you may occasionally take it for granted I'm sure there are more days when you just look and say 'wow'.

The shot is excellent - full of interest and detail - and I love your Buddha sitting watching you enjoy the pool and the view. Yet another tripple A* picture, imo. (y)

I hope the new drug regime is helping and you are now over the initial side effects. btw - I agree that TP is inspirational, and there are so many lovely, knowledgeable, helpful and friendly people here. :)

Jean

Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone :D

I normally reply to you all but I seem to have forgotten this week :( :bang:

Well, so much to choose from this week :D

Most of which I discarded as either I didn´t have access to the subjects: pregnant woman, baby, child playing with toys etc. Some because I couldn´t be bothered to set them up or go look for them: figs from the garden in different stages of growth, chicken and egg, learner driver, school building, the ingredients for one of Reg´s favourite cocktails, a recipe in action ......... you get the picture (well I didn´t :LOL:)

What I do know is my photography has developed a lot as a result of this challenge (that´s the second plug for TP in 2 weeks :D) and I´ve done so many things for the first time instead of sticking to what I like to photograph. It´s not exactly taken me out of my comfort zone more like increased it as it doesn´t seem that there´s anything I wouldn´t attempt to photograph now (y) Actually, that´s not true, I would not like to do studio or wedding photography :thumbsdown:

I´m much more likely to switch to manual without thinking if I´m not getting the result I wanted. My 'eye' has improved and my brain has definitely been exercised more :D

Anyway, this week my 'take' on the subject is a political hot potato here in Spain. Until about 18 months ago construction has been on a par with tourism in this part of Spain and as well as providing bargains for some, it has meant disaster for others as corruption abounded between the town halls and the developers, with the town halls giving building permits for non-urbanised land (the British equivalent of green-belt) in exchange for a 'gift'. As a result of this many mayors have been arrested and charged with corruption. There has even been an extreme case locally where the bulldozers turned up one morning and knocked down an English couple´s house and there have been a number of TV programmes about these problems.

And then 'La Crisis' hit, the construction industry collapsed, building projects were abandoned, often unfinished, and many, many people are now without employment. The value of housing has dropped by about 30% and the market is flooded with resales as people try to get back to the UK (not me though, I´m staying :love:) Spain has the highest unemployment rate in Europe now and people can´t afford to buy and therefore there is a lot of housing stock, speculatively built for the Spanish population, that has never been occupied either. This particular example has been completed for 18 months now and not one house is occupied.

(OVER) DEVELOPMENT

3643152389_e9209ddfaf_o.jpg

Wow bad state of affairs out there Jill - I've read of some of the corruption over land you've mentioned - it must be soul destroying for those folk caught up in it!

Love the shot - great symmetry and emptiness in the image - almost looks like a ghost town with the weeds and plants growing up and out of the pavements.

Very nice take on the theme - I quite like the lone palm tree at the end of the avenue too :)

Love the shot - great symmetry and emptiness in the image - almost looks like a ghost town with the weeds and plants growing up and out of the pavements.

Very nice take on the theme - I quite like the lone palm tree at the end of the avenue too :)

I have to agree with this, great stuff :clap:

Jill, you must take the prize this week for the largest number of ideas anybody has ever had on this Challenge. :) It sounds as though 'up-and-at-'em-Jill is back with us. (y)

We've been following the news items about the property crisis in Spain, because about two and half years ago we stood on the beach in Marbella, and Estapona (and several other places!) looking inland at the row upon row upon row of buildings and construction sites and wondering how long it would be before the market collapsed. We didn't at that time think it would be quite so soon, and I feel very sorry for the people who have lost everything in the current crisis.

Your picture and words sum it up very poignantly. Well observed and well composed. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

:agree: with the others. Superb shot, lovely lines, and that sky... The only thing missing... a but of tumbleweed blowing through... :D

It's a crying shame that all this has happened though, the land has been built on and not being used.

haha, love it Jill, Had to laugh when I realised we had both plumbed for the same idea, based on the relative countries cock ups and corruption ;)

Jon

Last edited:
Fits the theme well Jill, only slight crit is the white lines are so strong, they pull my attention to the end of the street.

Good shot though, wish I had the weather you get.

Wow bad state of affairs out there Jill - I've read of some of the corruption over land you've mentioned - it must be soul destroying for those folk caught up in it!

Thanks John, glad you like it. You can see another example of it happening, but aimed at the tourist market here

I have to agree with this, great stuff :clap:
Thanks Ruth

Jill, you must take the prize this week for the largest number of ideas anybody has ever had on this Challenge. :) It sounds as though 'up-and-at-'em-Jill is back with us. (y)

We've been following the news items about the property crisis in Spain, because about two and half years ago we stood on the beach in Marbella, and Estapona (and several other places!) looking inland at the row upon row upon row of buildings and construction sites and wondering how long it would be before the market collapsed. We didn't at that time think it would be quite so soon, and I feel very sorry for the people who have lost everything in the current crisis.

Your picture and words sum it up very poignantly. Well observed and well composed. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Thanks Jean, and , as you can see above,there is a link to exactly what you described. This is only 500 metres from the beach!

:agree: with the others. Superb shot, lovely lines, and that sky...Thanks John. The only thing missing... a but of tumbleweed blowing through... :D That was my thought exactly :D

It's a crying shame that all this has happened though, the land has been built on and not being used.

haha, love it Jean. Had to laugh when I realised we had both plumbed for the same idea, based on the relative countries cock ups and corruption ;)

Jon

Great minds think alike :LOL:

Fits the theme well Jill, only slight crit is the white lines are so strong, they pull my attention to the end of the street. Thanks Hyster, I know what you mean, but I like it that way :razz::D

Good shot though, wish I had the weather you get. Now, no going off in the huff again but that´s why the POOL comes in handy :LOL:

Well done on this shot. For me it is the vibrant blue sky against the orange masonary that are sooo full of life that make the lack of life stand out.

Excellent :clap::clap:

I like this a lot. I really like how your shots have a central focusing point, yet still enough going on 'in the sidelines' which stops it being boring but makes it great :clap: (y)

Great weather for it, beautiful sky, lovely building colours - nice n natural

Well I managed a Freedom shot and a reshoot and it´s all in the one photo :D

This has been quite a difficult subject for me emotionally as MS robs you of many freedoms people take for granted, and severely curtails others. :( In particular, freedom of choice :crying:

I know we all have constraints in our lives, time probably being the major one (although I have a lot of that) and money often running a close second. (Damn, why didn´t I take a picture of a lottery ticket :D)

I don´t have the freedom to choose life insurance, or the freedom to travel too far. Travel insurance excludes my condition and costs more! I don´t have the freedom to exercise, or just go for a simple walk, or pass unnoticed in a crowd. (Although people say I wouldn´t do that anyway :naughty:)

Freedom to do some of these simple things costs money and the irony is I can´t work so ........

So I construct my freedom mentally and try not to think about all the choices that are closed off to me. But it´s difficult.

However, my battery scooter gives me lots more Freedom. I can go on shopping trips :D, and it´s useful for lugging my camera stuff around, although I get strange looks when I then stand up, walk a little and take photos :naughty:

This photograph illustrates both of my favourite pastimes as I´m at our local shopping mall (which is perfect for the scooter) and taking pictures of it. Pictures incidentally which are going to be exhibited there soon :woot:

And, just as an aside, this could also be a reshoot for Identity as the manager walked passed me without recognition as I was in my scooter and normally he has only seen me with a crutch, so I had to shout after him to give him the CD with my pictures on :LOL:

FREEDOM (and Reflection re-shoot)

3668623664_6216a1e40a_o.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind me commenting here, but what a thought-provoking, personal take on that theme.

I have to say I really admire the dedication of all of you 52'ers - I've been watching these threads with interest.

Hello and welcome to TP :wave: I´ve learned such a lot from here.

Of course I don´t mind you commenting, the more the merrier :D

And if you´ve seen any of my earlier entries 'thought-provoking' seems to be my speciality :LOL:

Thank you for the welcome.

I have looked back over your thread and there are some fantastic images there (the one for "linear" is absolutely stunning) but what I like most is the stories behind them that put them into context for me.

Here's hoping that I can carry on learning too. I'd love to join in on the 52s, but right now just mastering the camera is enough for me, without trying to fit photos into a theme too :D:LOL:

Apologies I missed your Development shot. I guy I work with spends a fair bit of time in Spain and was telling me of the problems out there. His place is next to a golf course that has never been played because of some dodgy dealings when it was built, it does have a full time greenkeeper though and is immaculate.
A really well composed image to go with the story too. (y)

Freedom and reshoot, well seen and captured:clap:

Jill you do thought provoking so well ;)... A good shot. The reflections is excellent, and I can see how that gives you plenty of freedom... Excellent take on the theme.

Jill, as always - thought-provoking and interesting words to accompany a complex and interesting shot. :clap::clap::clap:

I love the colours and the semi-silhouetteness (brand new word, invented because my brain's too tired and scrambled to do any better!). I also like the feeling of isolation; of being alone in the area, which I guess is how MS must make you feel at times.

And, also I continue to admire your mental toughness which not only gets you through but enables you to achieve so much. You're an amazing lady (y)

I hope the exhibition is a terrific success - I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to hear all bout it. :):):)

Jean

Lovely shot.......Whilst I cant post for a couple of weeks, I'm sure i'll be able to keep up with "the Blog"

J

I'm soooooooooo sorry that I missed your Development shot...:(

It's a brilliant photograph and story to add to the overal feel of how things are so out of control with the world today...:clap::clap::clap:

and there you go and top it with this weeks Freedom shot...:clap::clap::clap:

What can I say but your producing some fantastic stuff for these 52s...

Well done Jill and I promise not to miss anymore weeks of your lovely work...:love:

Ruth, I love this shot, The pink tones given by the reflection give it almost a sixties feel, and the subject matter is brilliant. In an ideal world the blue stripe on the left would not be there, but I would rather see the shot with it in that not see the shot at all. As usual technically superb!! :clap: :clap:

Apologies I missed your Development shot. I guy I work with spends a fair bit of time in Spain and was telling me of the problems out there. His place is next to a golf course that has never been played because of some dodgy dealings when it was built, it does have a full time greenkeeper though and is immaculate.
A really well composed image to go with the story too. (y)

Freedom and reshoot, well seen and captured:clap:

They built a lot of golf courses because, until last year, they automatically got planning permission to build houses alongside! Now they can´t do that so, guess what, no more golf courses planned.....

Glad you like the shots :D

Jill you do thought provoking so well ;)... A good shot. The reflections is excellent, and I can see how that gives you plenty of freedom... Excellent take on the theme.

Thanks John, glad you like your thoughts to be provoked ;), and glad you like the shot too.

hehe great idea for both themes, i love the colours :D

Thanks Ruth, I appreciate it.

Jill, as always - thought-provoking and interesting words to accompany a complex and interesting shot. :clap::clap::clap: Thanks Jean

I love the colours and the semi-silhouetteness (brand new word, invented because my brain's too tired and scrambled to do any better!). I also like the feeling of isolation; of being alone in the area, which I guess is how MS must make you feel at times. Yes, it does sometimes, especially when people don´t recognise you because you´re not walking around :(

And, also I continue to admire your mental toughness which not only gets you through but enables you to achieve so much. You're an amazing lady (y) Aaaaw :nuts: You don´t know how you´ll react until it happens

I hope the exhibition is a terrific success - I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to hear all bout it. I don´t actually know how it´s going to work yet. It´s in the big indoor/outdoor shopping centre and they are paying to have the pics printed and mounted. We haven´t discussed the possibility of sales yet, nor do I have a date ........ It seems that´s just the Spanish way of doing things - it´ll all come out in the wash ;)

Jean

Thanks, as usual, for all your lovely words.

Lovely shot.......Whilst I cant post for a couple of weeks, I'm sure i'll be able to keep up with "the Blog"

J

Thanks John, does that mean I can´t stop writing while you are away :( :LOL:

Ruth, I love this shot, The pink tones given by the reflection give it almost a sixties feel, and the subject matter is brilliant. In an ideal world the blue stripe on the left would not be there, but I would rather see the shot with it in that not see the shot at all. As usual technically superb!! :clap: :clap:

Thanks Angela, high praise indeed. I deliberately shot it like that so that you could tell it was a reflection but after you saying that I looked again at the shot and it´s blooming obvious anyway :bang::bang::bang:

PS your revising has scrambled your memory cos I´m Jill ;)

I'm soooooooooo sorry that I missed your Development shot...:(

It's a brilliant photograph and story to add to the overal feel of how things are so out of control with the world today...:clap::clap::clap:

and there you go and top it with this weeks Freedom shot...:clap::clap::clap:

What can I say but your producing some fantastic stuff for these 52s...

Well done Jill and I promise not to miss anymore weeks of your lovely work...:love:

Wow, thank you Marcus :nuts:

Oooh well done on this week's picture/reshoot, I like it (y)

Sorry I'm so late replying have been working

Jill, I've always maintained your words are as inspirational as your images and this one is no exception!

A great take on the theme (well all three themes :)) and for those of us moaning about a poorly arm ;) this just makes me appreciate what I have got!

How fast can you go on those things btw :)

Lovely shot, moving words!

:D

Thanks John, does that mean I can´t stop writing while you are away :( :LOL:

Thanks Angela, high praise indeed. I deliberately shot it like that so that you could tell it was a reflection but after you saying that I looked again at the shot and it´s blooming obvious anyway :bang::bang::bang:

PS your revising has scrambled your memory cos I´m Jill ;)
:nuts::bonk::bonk: oops sorry Jill!!

Oooh well done on this week's picture/reshoot, I like it

Sorry I'm so late replying have been working

No probs, I totally missed 4 last week :(

Jill, I've always maintained your words are as inspirational as your images and this one is no exception! Thanks John, but strangely enough I just saw the shot as a 'well this will have to do because I'm too knackered to try anything else' so it just goes to show - never judge your own work :D

A great take on the theme (well all three themes :)) and for those of us moaning about a poorly arm ;) this just makes me appreciate what I have got! Hey, it´s all about perspective and what you are used to so don´t beat yourself up about it!

How fast can you go on those things btw :) 4 mph :naughty:

Lovely shot, moving words! Thanks so much ;)

:D

Back