Bruja's Photo 52 + Night

Relationships eh!

I thought, well that's an easy one, then I thought about all the different types of relationships there are in the world. Political, geographical, diplomatic, and economic are the one's on the world stage. Closer to home though there are are personal ones, and the most personal of all perhaps is the romantic/sexual one. By that I mean a marriage or partnership. In other words, an intimate relationship.

I've had quite a few of those :naughty: (Reg is my third husband). And like all relationships they can be tricky :D

So what makes a good relationship?

Well, like most things in life, you only get what you work for. I remember as a young (19) bride thinking that once we'd got that far all the work was done and we just got on with it, life would be great. Now at the grand age of 53 I've realised that if you want to be happy with each other you both have to work at it. When we moved here over 4 years ago we were suddenly spending all day, every day together and that takes some getting used to no matter how much you love each other. It's taken more than 3 of those years to get to the point where we are really comfortable with each other again, after a number of difficult patches.

But with hindsight I realise that many couples will have a similar kind of experience from time to time. When circumstances change it often has a knock on effect on a relationship. When a baby is born, when the last child leaves home, when a parent dies, when jobs and roles change, and, in our case, when Reg retired. I naively believed (like I did at 19) that it was going to be great spending all our time together. After all, isn't that what most of us dream of when we think about retirement, that it's a time for celebration :woot::woot:

So what have I learned (or, more appropriately, put into to practice)?

Well first of all you can't have love without respect. I'm sure many of us know couples who are always bickering in public, using sarcastic humour to belittle the other. And I wonder if it's just a habit they have fallen into or whether they genuinely dislike each other.

Secondly, you need to have trust. That your other half will support you, back you up and, always be on your side cheering you on in everything you do. But, equally as important, will tell you when you are making an absolute 'blue chested bird' of something :D and vice versa of course.

Thirdly, you genuinely need to care for each other. Caring is not just about supporting someone or looking after them when they are ill or upset but, for me, it's thinking 'what will be the consequences for Reg if I do this, how will he feel?' about just about everything I do. In other words, taking him into consideration when I make decisions big and small. That doesn't mean we talk about every one, or that I always put him first, just that I think about him.

And, fourthly, and perhaps the most important in all of this, is that you keep the lines of communication open. If you respect someone, trust them, and care for them then you can talk about anything. Your hopes, fears, desires, your strengths and weaknesses, your past and your present and your hopes for the future. In other words you can bare all without fear of failure, derision, and most importantly, without judgement.

So I give you ......

RELATIONSHIPS​

3370551796_1f67edc3c5.jpg

I chose a slightly high key version on purpose Simon ;) and if I keep taking portraits we are going to have to get a bigger house because I'm struggling to find a decent background, and moving furniture, and taking stuff off walls, and finding space for the tripod etc etc etc.

And Dark Star, I told you I was freckly :LOL:

And now I'm off to see my friend in Paris for a week :woot::woot: (without Reg I might add), but I'll still be online. I just hope that the next theme doesn't need a tripod!

Last edited:
Jill, I have to say that your narratives are astoundingly good reading: bags of good thoughts, common sense and wise words - that are so obviously from your heart!

You write as well as you take photos and you're bloody good at that:)!

A great double portrait and a great tribute to what looks like a fantastic relationship.

Nothing more to add, a brilliant post Jill! :) :clap:

And yes you were right about those freckles ;) :D

Jill, I have to say that your narratives are astoundingly good reading: bags of good thoughts, common sense and wise words - that are so obviously from your heart!

A great double portrait and a great tribute to what looks like a fantastic relationship.

Nothing more to add, a brilliant post Jill! :) :clap:

John has said exactly what I was thinking, Jill. And I would add: You and Reg look 'right' together, he obviously supports you in your photographic journey and very well done for achieving an excellent, well-framed pose in a self-portrait. :clap::clap::clap:

Bon voyage. :)

Jean

Jill,

You just brought tears to my eyes with that shot (seriously) (y) That is fantastic, I knew when my O/H pulled the theme for this week you'd give us a stunner and you have :clap: :clap: :clap: I love the lighting to bits !!

Enjoy Paris and I'll let you (all) know the theme for next week tomorrow evening.

P.S. If I have 1/2 the insight you have at 53 (I don't believe you are any way near 53 BTW) I'll count myself very lucky. You really are a wise woman - in ancient times they'd have burned you at the stake out of jealousy (just like the woman in your avatar)

One thing shines through in that image, love.

Your image is brave, bold and honest, you both smile with you eyes.

You've knocked this one out of the park, great effort, well done.

Jill, you've produced a stunning photo with great words again. :clap: :clap:

Hello Jill first of all sorry I missed your wisdom shot...work and all that stuff...:razz:

That was a great build up again...and a well taken shot with the lovely red/pink background...:clap:

But this week up are in a whole different league with this self portrait...:clap:
What a fantastic shot, and so well executed...:clap:
The lighting is so spot on, I'm loving this work from you...:love:

I've got to say the 52s are bringing everybodys standard up.(y)

Enjoy Paris...:wave:

Thank you so much John. That means a lot to me. :)

A great double portrait and a great tribute to what looks like a fantastic relationship. I wasn't sure when I looked at it - but I'm my own worst critic. And it is a great relationship again ;)

Nothing more to add, a brilliant post Jill! Thank you, thank you, thank you

John has said exactly what I was thinking, Jill. And I would add: You and Reg look 'right' together, he obviously supports you in your photographic journey and very well done for achieving an excellent, well-framed pose in a self-portrait. :clap::clap::clap:

Bon voyage. :) Thanks again for your support Jean, and I let him read everything I say (but not until after I've posted it :naughty:) and he's happy with all of it so far./QUOTE]

Jill,

You just brought tears to my eyes with that shot (seriously) (y) Wow, I'm shocked! I didn't think it was that good :D That is fantastic, I knew when my O/H pulled the theme for this week you'd give us a stunner and you have :clap: :clap: :clap: I love the lighting to bits !! Thanks for the vote of confidence, I appreciate it (y)

P.S. If I have 1/2 the insight you have at 53 (I don't believe you are any way near 53 BTW) I'll count myself very lucky. You really are a wise woman - in ancient times they'd have burned you at the stake out of jealousy (just like the woman in your avatar)
Hah hah, flattery will get you everywjere. But you'll find out at the TP Convention a) I've got feet of clay just like everyone else and, b) in the cold light of day I do look 53 (well 54 by then :D)

One thing shines through in that image, love.

Your image is brave, bold and honest, you both smile with you eyes.

You've knocked this one out of the park, great effort, well done.

Thank you so much for your own, obviously heartfelt words :nuts:

Jill, you've produced a stunning photo with great words again. :clap: :clap:

Thanks so much John, glad you're liking it all still (y)

Beautiful photograph and beautiful and as always, heart felt sentiment :clap:

Thanks Maureen, kind and supportive words from you as always :) (and heartfelt too from you)

Hello Jill first of all sorry I missed your wisdom shot...work and all that stuff...:razz: I thought you'd gone off me :D

That was a great build up again...and a well taken shot with the lovely red/pink background...:clap: Thanks

But this week up are in a whole different league with this self portrait...:clap:
What a fantastic shot, and so well executed...:clap:
The lighting is so spot on, I'm loving this work from you...:love:

So it was worth all the furniture and picture moving and waiting for the sun to go/come out and wearing Reg's patience a bit thin :LOL:

Enjoy Paris...:wave: I'm trying to but I was in bed Monday and Tuesday exhausted by the travelling :razz: so not even had the camera out yet and I'm going to struggle to find Poverty around here as the suburb I'm staying in is 'exclusif' But off into the city tomorrow with my TP friend and my 70-200 so I might get something there :shrug:

Well it's going to be short and sweet for this week you'll be glad to hear :D

I spent the first 2 days of my visit to my friend in bed recovering from the journey and then I've spent 2 days in bed recovering from coming back home again. Sometimes I really hate this disease :( :razz:

Anyway, the one day we managed to get into Paris itself we went (only) to Notre Dame and this woman was sitting on the ground outside the public entrance to the Cathedral in the freezing cold and damp winds.

I also have a picture of her sitting down here but didn't like the composition so much. I only took a couple of pictures of her as they were candids, but I did put a couple of euros in her cup.

POVERTY​

3399810826_60b8251c01.jpg

Welcome back...we missed you...:love:

Poverty...that's a great candid shot...:clap:

Sorry you were not well, but now your back with friends your be right as rain...(y)

Welcome back Jill, sorry to hear that the time in Paris didn't go quite as you'd hoped...

That is a stunning shot with great detail (y) :clap:

Lovely portrait, hope you're feeling stronger soon!

Welcome back...we missed you...:love: Aw shucks :nuts:

Poverty...that's a great candid shot...:clap: Thanks Marcus :)

Sorry you were not well, but now your back with friends your be right as rain...(y) And the only way is UP! (sorry, couldn't resist it :naughty:)

Welcome back Jill, sorry to hear that the time in Paris didn't go quite as you'd hoped...

That is a stunning shot with great detail (y) :clap: Thanks John, appreciate it as always

Lovely portrait, hope you're feeling stronger soon! Thanks, I hope so too!

Sorry to hear that the trip took it out of you so much.

The shot however, is absolutely stunning. You can see what toll life has taken on this lady because it is written all over her face. The angle shows perfectly the heavy eyes and bowed head of someone who is tired of being on the wrong side of luck!!

Excellent :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've been waiting to see what you got ;) and it's been worth the wait. A lovely portrait that is really full of character (y)

You did well to avoid a trap and crop too close :clap: there is just enough background to the left not to make the image too black (if you know what I mean) and I think because it's a good close up it doesn't matter that the top of the head is cut off (which I think spoils the other shot).

Lovely shot. shows her character splendidly (y)

The shot however, is absolutely stunning. You can see what toll life has taken on this lady because it is written all over her face. The angle shows perfectly the heavy eyes and bowed head of someone who is tired of being on the wrong side of luck!!

Excellent :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Angela, glad you like it (y)

I've been waiting to see what you got ;) and it's been worth the wait. A lovely portrait that is really full of character (y)

Thanks Simon, glad I'm living up to your expectations :D

Lovely shot. shows her character splendidly (y)

Thanks Corky :D

Now all I've got to do is catch up with everyone else

Excellent interpretation Jill. The tired, wor out look you've captured is priceless. The thought of her sitting on the floor out in the cold is such a sad indictment on society. Fantastic exposure :clap::clap::clap:

Excellent interpretation Jill. The tired, wor out look you've captured is priceless. The thought of her sitting on the floor out in the cold is such a sad indictment on society. Fantastic exposure :clap::clap::clap:

That's just how I feel, too. It's easy to be complacent about what we've got and to forget how much of a struggle life is for so many people. Poverty in the true sense of the word. Beautifully captured, Jill. :clap:

I'm so glad to hear you're on the UP again, after a bad week. :hug:

Jean

Well I'm UP this week which is a good start :D

There are 2 parts to this week's story: why I'm up is one part, and what the photograph means is the second part. So if you are easily bored scroll down now ;)

So, why am I UP? Well I've found that taking a holiday is very exhausting for me, and next week I'm off to the UK for the first time in 4 years, so I've really struggled this week. But, I remembered a new shopping centre that had opened about 50 Km away which I visitied about 2 months ago. The upstairs area is open air and is draped with (probably fibre glass) sails of many colours.

I thought then, what a fantastic place to ake some abstract pictures so I approached one of the security guards and asked if there was un jefe (a manager). He pointed him out to me so we had a chat and I explained that I'd like to take some pictures of the outside of the Centre and did I need permission. He said I did and that the next time I visited the Centre and wanted to take pictures (because, typically, I didn't have my camara with me) just ask one of the security guards to call him. I told him about my recent Exhibition and that I had a book of the pictures (thanks to BLURB) that I could bring next time so he could see the type of pictures I like to take. So we parted on an agreement. Or so I thought :(

Turned up there on Friday (with the camera gear this time (y)) and was directed to the Centre office. The Manager wasn't there so one of the administrators called him and after a bit of a discussion on the phone she said NO! They only managed the Centre and weren't the proprietors so couldn't give permission. I just wanted to cry :crying: as I was so looking forward to it and it was the perfect venue for UP, and it was already Friday, and I'd dragged myself out of bed to go there in the first place. So I wandered around the supermarket with 'him indoors' cursing under my breath, and sometimes out loud. But, I thought, that's life. Anyway, we decided to have some lunch and just as I was sitting down Reg saw El Jefe walking past the window so I grabbed my book of pictures and ran (well limped) after him.

To cut an even longer story short he agreed that I could take photographs as long as there were no shops in the pictures, and would I like to have an Exhibition of my pictures in the Centre in the summer because he loved what he saw. And it won't cost me a penny, I just deliver the files and the Centre pays for the printing and mounting and publicity :woot::woot: What a result!

So that's why I'm UP, and, the whole thing took place in Spanish. So glad I've made the effort to learn it. So here's my interpretation of UP, and below it is what it means to me. Enjoy....

UP

3410749645_dcbe541d7a_o.jpg

Well there's the centre pole which represents me and all the different strands that are keeping me up and supporting the protective cover that shelters me from harm.

They include my close friends, my family, Reg, photography, TP, Jack Daniels, my cats, my self-determination (stubborness :D), my spirit, and, currently, Modesto (el jefe) who turned a really bad day into a great one. We all have things that both anchor and support us and this, for me, was the perfect representation on the day. I think I might actually put this on the wall to remind me that all those things are there even when it doesn't feel like it.

Thanks to all of you as well, you've got a whole strand to yourselves keeping my pole anchored. :love:

That's just how I feel, too. It's easy to be complacent about what we've got and to forget how much of a struggle life is for so many people. Poverty in the true sense of the word. Beautifully captured, Jill. :clap:

I'm so glad to hear you're on the UP again, after a bad week. :hug:

Jean

Thanks Jean, have one back :hug: :D

good composition and lines. Glad to hear you are feeling better

Jon

Life sure is a rollercoaster!!! glad you got your shot for this week and glad you're feeling up. A nice clear shot, well done!!

Poverty - excellent portrait, I really like the eye contact and you can obviously see how life has worn itself into the ladies face. Slight niggle is the white bit on her clothing is distracting but that's just me being picky!

Up - like the composition and the lines... and like the meaning behind it even more (y)

I agree with Simon, the composition works for me, and the story and exhibition that has come out of the effort you put is the icing on the cake.

Well done you(y)

Jill, what a fantastic result. You got the shot you wanted AND a whole exhibition too. Fortune shines on those who help themselves. (y)(y)

I love the image in its own right, as well as the meaning behind it, and it speaks for all of us, imo - no-one can survive without the support of family and friends.

As always, your 52 is an inspiration. :)

Jean

Good composition and an interesting geometric shape, works well.

Well done Jill, a cracking shot, a wonderful story and excellent news on the exhibition too (y)

good composition and lines. Glad to hear you are feeling better

Jon

Thanks Jon (y)

Life sure is a rollercoaster!!! glad you got your shot for this week and glad you're feeling up. A nice clear shot, well done!!

Thanks Angela, I appreciate it (y)

Poverty - excellent portrait, I really like the eye contact and you can obviously see how life has worn itself into the ladies face. Slight niggle is the white bit on her clothing is distracting but that's just me being picky! And she was wearing it :D

Up - like the composition and the lines... and like the meaning behind it even more (y) Glad you like picture and even more glad you like the meaning :D

Pity you couldn't get shots including the shops but fabulous news on the exhibition (y). TBH I wasn't interested in the shops (a first for me :LOL:) it 's the outside that's spectacular from an abstract point of view and when I get back from the UK I'm going to post some shots from there on flickr. So that wasn't (for me) my best shot from the day but it said what I wanted it to. And the exhibition was a fantastic surprise.

The composition is great and I love the thoughts you've pulled out of this one.

Thanks Simon. I used my 70-200 and no crop, which is a miracle for me as it makes my arms very tired :(

I agree with Simon, the composition works for me, and the story and exhibition that has come out of the effort you put is the icing on the cake.

Well done you(y)

Thanks Mark ;)

Jill, what a fantastic result. You got the shot you wanted AND a whole exhibition too. Fortune shines on those who help themselves. (y)(y) Or stalk people :D

I love the image in its own right, as well as the meaning behind it, and it speaks for all of us, imo - no-one can survive without the support of family and friends.

As always, your 52 is an inspiration. :) Thank you so much. As you know, that wasn't my intention at the beginning; I just wanted a reason to get out of bed, so it's doing me the world too :D

Jean

Good composition and an interesting geometric shape, works well.

Glad you like it :)

Well done Jill, a cracking shot, a wonderful story and excellent news on the exhibition too (y)

Thanks John, I didn't think it was that good tbh but it said what I wanted to say :D, and the exhibition turned a sad day into a happy one.

Loving the lines in this and such a moving story you should definitily print the picture :D

Thanks Ruth, as always I appreciate your comments ;)

lovely abstract feel and fabulous news about the exhibition!

lovely abstract feel and fabulous news about the exhibition!

Well that's a lovely shot from you and works great for this weeks theme...:clap:

and I know it's not the most important thing of the shot, but that boarder makes it look absolutely superb...:love:

well done you...(y)

Back