Bruja's Photo 52 + Night

Wow Jill, what a story, sorry to read of an unhappy childhood but pleased to see you so positive now in spite of it.

You are spot on about this forum, its a great group of people, sharing knowledge and insight, there are a lot of good people here Jill and you are one of them.

Nice pic by the way.

Thanks Gary for your kind words, I appreciate it. Glad you like the picture too (y)

Wow, you really are brilliant...:clap:

Still enough of that... you could say you got another online family, and we all love you...:love:

I love the relection you managed to get in this shot...top of your game as usual (y)

Aaaw Marcus, thanks, and I'm glad you noticed the reflection. It was taken on a black granite worktop. All these kind words are giving me a warm fuzzy feeling :ty:

The pic is great, I love the lighting coming from the top right of the image. I also really like the hint of a reflection in the worktop too.

You are right this place is special (y)

Can't agree with you more Simon

as for this place i love it :)

Jill, you are very brave to let that all out in the open. You obviously have a great deal of courage and have been on an incredible journey. I feel honoured to be part of the TP community and therefore a part of that journey. :clap:

Thank you Marc, and you're definitely part of that journey (y).

I don't know about brave though, I suppose it's because people are frightened of the reaction they might get if they admit to having or having had mental health problems. To me there's no shame or embarassment in that. If people choose to treat me differently because of that then that's their (ignorant) loss as we have even less control over how our mind's work then how our bodies do. Phew, climbing off my hobby horse now :LOL: And as you can tell from that my self esteem is a lot better :LOL::LOL:

The pic is great, I love the lighting coming from the top right of the image. I also really like the hint of a reflection in the worktop too.

You are right this place is special (y)

Glad you like it Simon (y)

To me there's no shame or embarassment in that. If people choose to treat me differently because of that then that's their (ignorant) loss as we have even less control over how our mind's work then how our bodies do.

Couldn't agree more. (y)

Hi Jill - that's a great shot - simple and well executed - but totally overshadowed by the powerful story behind it. You are one amazing lady and if you ever have the slightest doubt or slip back into your 'old' reality about yourself, I hope you will get straight online to TP and read this thread again and again until your self-esteem is back in its rightful place.

Thank you so much for telling us about your life, for trusting us with your story and for being so generous to us all. :hug: :love:

Jean

I can totally relate to your past, and applaud your braveness in talking about it, Well done :clap::clap:

The picture is nice and simple and I also really like the reflection in the worktop.

very nice :clap:

Jill, that's brilliant. A very personal tale and history, and John has already said it all. I'm really glad you got through it, found your sense of self worth and all. (y)

Hi Jill - that's a great shot - simple and well executed - but totally overshadowed by the powerful story behind it. Thank you so much for telling us about your life, for trusting us with your story and for being so generous to us all. :hug: :love:

Jean

Thanks very much Jean, but I'm not quite sure how I deserve the term 'generous' :thinking: but that's hardly surprising is it.;)

I can totally relate to your past, and applaud your braveness in talking about it, Well done :clap::clap:

The picture is nice and simple and I also really like the reflection in the worktop.

very nice :clap:

Thanks Angela, glad you like the picture (y) and as for my past it's surprising how many people have had similar experiences.

Jill, that's brilliant. A very personal tale and history, and John has already said it all. I'm really glad you got through it, found your sense of self worth and all. (y)

Aaaw , thanks John :clap:

Well here we are, another week over :D

This was quite a challenge as I live in rural Spain where a crowd is 3 people talking on the street :(

However, almost every city, town, and village has a weekly market. This stems from the lack of transport during the Franco era, as well as the lack of shops/goods. They still survive today for a number of reasons: the old folk depend on them as they still don't have transport, you get really good fresh (and in season) fruit and veg at reasonable prices, and you can choose your own, unlike the supermarkets.

You can buy fresh and dried spices and herbs, herbal combinations for anything from herpes to hypertension :eek:, shoes and handbags :D:D, clothes, cheese, sausages and churros which are cooked freshly in the market. They are kind of like a doughnut mixture but piped into a huge spiral in a very large frying pan, add some sugar and they are lovely. And something that differs from the UK, cafes have no problem if you take in your cone of churros and order a coffee to have with them! (I've got a picture of them cooking this too so I'll post it later)

In short, the markets sell everything but furniture, and the third reason they are very popular is with the tourists and the expats. And in the 5 years I've lived here they have grown a lot. Every market also has a roast chicken van where the chickens are cooked on spits, using calor gas for the flames and they cook up to a hundred at a time and this is the treat of the week for many of the Spanish.

We categorise the size of the market by the number of chicken vans :D. Our village has 1, Fines has 2 and Vera has 3, so our's is just a 1 chicken van market - pretty small then.

Well, that makes a change - a bit of local history instead of personal history :naughty:, but I'll be back........

CROWDS​

3296501179_45845ec093_o.jpg

And here is the Churros Man - good work in winter, a nightmare in the summer!

3297334136_4e9c121eca.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent young lady...:clap:
That's a great story...but not as good as your photo's this week...(y)
I love the tone and boarder you got going there...:woot:

Another one you absolutely nailed...

and well done for getting out of the house, I'm still working at home...:bonk:

great streetscene shot...lovely mono treatment and tight crop...

Thanks, I appreciate it (y)

Excellent young lady...:clap:
That's a great story...but not as good as your photo's this week...(y)
I love the tone and boarder you got going there...:woot:

Another one you absolutely nailed...

Thanks Marcus, you're always so kind about my pictures, it's great to have your support :clap:

I thought the tone suited it because it could almost have been taken many years ago as the older women still dress very conservatively and have shopping trollies :D

Wow what a powerful story for your Special theme. All my life I've hated bullies and bullying and have stood up against it even though sometimes I put myself at risk.
The thought of adults abusing children reduces me to tears. My children trust me and expect me to protect them not take my anger and hositility out on them. Children have rights but it seems in the world we live in this concept is lost on very many.
I'm so sorry to hear about the poor treatment you received growing up Bruja but am really pleased to hear how you have managed to triumph over adversity. Your image is all the more powerful because of the narrative. Thank you very much for sharing such a personal and painful part of your history with us :clap::clap::clap:

I like the crowd shot. Nicely exposed and composed. Lovely sharp image that tells a story. I looked at the expressions of the faces and wondered what they were thinking wondering around that busy market. Great interpretation. Fits the theme perfectly :clap:

Thanks very much Maureen and I wish there had been more around like you when I was growing up :(

Thanks for your comments on my pictures, I really appreciate them, and I'm glad you like them :D

Lovely shot and nice write up! We had our honeymoon in Barcelona and I loved the market off Las Ramblas. I didn't see any chicken vans though!!

I love the sepia crowd shot, it reminds me of my mum's local market in Almeria. Last time we were there it was 42degrees :eek:

Well done :clap::clap::clap:

Love the crowds shot the sepia tones really suit it :)

Thanks Ruth (y)

Lovely shot and nice write up! We had our honeymoon in Barcelona and I loved the market off Las Ramblas. I didn't see any chicken vans though!!

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Glad you like the shot :D Not been to Barcelona yet but I'm planning on it.

I love the sepia crowd shot, it reminds me of my mum's local market in Almeria. Last time we were there it was 42degrees :eek:

Well done :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Angela, we've had the odd day here recently when it's been up in the 30s for a few hours - but 1C at night :eek:

catch up time for me...

Special - all I'll say is I am glad you have overcome the obstacles that were there and long may your self esteem be sky high.. oh, and nice shot (y)

Crowds - Love everything about this one. The sepia treatment works well and I get a real sense of the hustle and bustle - nice work! :clap:

Good crowd shot Jill, nice treatment and great reading - makes me quite envious :)

The image has just the right feel of 'bustle' and activity I can recall from the odd Spanish market I have visited as a tourist :)

Judging by the woolly parka type coat worn by the guy in the background its still chilly out there I guess :(

catch up time for me...

Special - all I'll say is I am glad you have overcome the obstacles that were there and long may your self esteem be sky high.. oh, and nice shot (y)

Thanks for your support Daysleeper, and glad you like the shot too :D

Crowds - Love everything about this one. The sepia treatment works well and I get a real sense of the hustle and bustle - nice work! :clap:

Thanks again (y)

Good crowd shot Jill, nice treatment and great reading - makes me quite envious :)

The image has just the right feel of 'bustle' and activity I can recall from the odd Spanish market I have visited as a tourist :)

Thanks John, a bit nervewracking shooting candids as I think I stand out with my camera (Or maybe it's just because I'm tall and gorgeous :naughty:)

Judging by the woolly parka type coat worn by the guy in the background its still chilly out there I guess :(

Sometimes, although it was sunny and 30C for a few hours today :whistle:

When I see a photo I really like I try and work out what it is that does it for me. I keep going back and looking at your Crowd shot and I love the sepia treatment (not usually my top of the pops - but it works really well here). The composition is spot on, too. The crowd all seem to be oblivious to you and your camera, which means you must have been very unobtrusive.

So all these add up to a good shot, but I think what really makes this excellent is the contrast between the space behind the stall with just the stallholder and the denseness of the crowd beyond the stall.

It's one of those shots that seems very simple, Jill, but has all the elements coming together to make a stunning shot. I hope you enjoyed taking it. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

I really like your Crowds shot Jill, it's all been said, and I can't add much to the above comments. :clap: (y)

When I see a photo I really like I try and work out what it is that does it for me. I keep going back and looking at your Crowd shot and I love the sepia treatment (not usually my top of the pops - but it works really well here). The composition is spot on, too. The crowd all seem to be oblivious to you and your camera, which means you must have been very unobtrusive.

So all these add up to a good shot, but I think what really makes this excellent is the contrast between the space behind the stall with just the stallholder and the denseness of the crowd beyond the stall.

It's one of those shots that seems very simple, Jill, but has all the elements coming together to make a stunning shot. I hope you enjoyed taking it. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Thanks again for your support Jean, and yes I did enjoy taking it but it wasn't until I got home that I realised I'd got the shot I wanted :D

I really like your Crowds shot Jill, it's all been said, and I can't add much to the above comments. :clap: (y)

Thanks John (y)

Completely agree with Simon, love the sepia tones. Its a great image, pretty much what I had tried and failed to do at the weekend.

Well done.

Love the feel of action and the expressions. It seems very like the markets here when things liven up in the summer. Another great shot.:clap:

Well here we are, 2 months completed already! :D

I've thought a lot about wealth this week, and what it can mean to different people.

There's financial wealth (I should be so lucky, I had to take medical retirement when I was 43 - 10 years ago now) :(

There's a wealth of possessions - in my case it would be books, shoes, handbags, and, more recently, camera gear :D

There's having a wealth of knowledge, a wealth of creativity, a wealth of friends, a wealth of well, wealths.

But my wealth comes from none of those things. I have one thing in my life that is worth more than money, and, if you want to avoid the personal history bit, scroll down NOW .....

My wealth is the wealth of love, support, and understanding that my husband Reg gives me. :love:

It's been a complicated journey for us over the last 18 years. We were both married to other people when we met (unhappily married as it turned out), and I'd already been married and divorced before. To cut that particular long story short we were living together 6 months later, divorces were underway and we were planning to get married once they were all sorted.

We both changed jobs that year and were financially secure and we moved from the little terraced house I'd bought into a new bungalow. We didn't know at the time but that was an inspired move. Our divorces were finalized and in September 1992 we were married on a tiny little island in the Seychelles. Everything was perfect, we just felt so right together (and still do, just in case you were wondering :D)

4 months later I had a recurrence of what had been described a viral infection of the nervous system a year before so I went to see my GP as I wasn't well enough to go to work. He was filling in the 'sick note' when he stopped and asked me if work knew what the problem was so I just said yes. When I looked at the condition for absence from work it said Multiple Sclerosis.

To be fair I didn't respond with shock or despair. At that point I was just glad to have a diagnosis as I'd had all kinds of weird and wonderful symptoms going back to 1989, and, at one point I'd been referred to a psychiatrist as my GP at the time thought I was depressed and a bit of a hypochondriac. Well I was depressed, but I was depressed because I felt lousy but didn't know why and couldn't seem to get close to an answer. So my initial reaction was relief, and Reg was great with me. We'd only been married a few months so I told him I was still under guarantee if he wanted to trade me in, but he just took it all in his stride.

Now, many years and many symptoms later (I'm sure they'll be incorporated into a picture story at some point :LOL:), including having all my upper teeth removed because of persistent toothache in 1992 - toothache which I still get because it was caused by trigeminal neuralgia, for which I've had 4 neurosurgical ops, lots of high dose intravenous steroid courses, and an overwhelming fatigue which feels like jet lag most days, Reg is still here.

He is strong for me, he adores me, tells me I'm gorgeous every day, and would do absolutely anything for me. I love him to bits and when he asked me what the theme was for this week and what was I going to do for it I told him I was going to take a picture of him because he was worth more to me than money, he got a tear in his eye. So here I give you Reg, my Wealth

3316745758_28ce1ed73d_o.jpg

Again great background accompanying a really good shot (don't mention the hair :D) Really it's alovely portrait - the love shine through. :clap::clap:

Wonderful Jill... Great story and a superb shot to go with it (y)

Thats a story with a happy ending :)

shame you missed the tip of his hair otherwise a good shot (y)

Thanks Ruth (y)

Again great background accompanying a really good shot (don't mention the hair :D) Really it's alovely portrait - the love shine through. :clap::clap:

Thanks Frank :D (and I've added an edit now :nuts:)

Wonderful Jill... Great story and a superb shot to go with it (y)

Glad you like it John ;)

Well done Bruja, great story that proves "health is wealth"
jon

And yet another interesting insight into your life Jill. I'm glad you have found wealth in your love for each other, it really does transcend everything else.
The picture aint bad either. (y)
Mark.:wave:

Back