buying for the sake of it

gJiKISe.jpg

Not new. Non-CBS. Not Japanese. Modified...

How are you finding the Niche grinder so far?

A bread maker.... used every other day and we’ve had fantastic bread. Always wanted one but it took lockdown for Mr. Bebop to be persuaded.

A new phone (yesterday) - old one not broken but can no longer have iOS updates. Chuffed to have a speedier phone with lots of space and better camera. Would probably have purchased anyway.

Attachments for my Kenwood mixer. I’m not even that into cooking but somehow making pasta looks like fun. I’m sure I’d never have bought this without lockdown.

He'll be happy now he's tasted the bread! Can he use it yet?

(I make mine by hand.....)

He'll be happy now he's tasted the bread! Can he use it yet?

(I make mine by hand.....)
He agrees it's been a good buy - as yet he hasn't used it... I suspect it's now my job, like emptying the bins :rolleyes:. I used to make it by hand sometimes, but it was never as light as this. The bread maker uses a third as much yeast - perhaps I was going wrong there? Now we have the treat of waking up to the smell of bread baking :)

He agrees it's been a good buy - as yet he hasn't used it... I suspect it's now my job, like emptying the bins :rolleyes:. I used to make it by hand sometimes, but it was never as light as this. The bread maker uses a third as much yeast - perhaps I was going wrong there? Now we have the treat of waking up to the smell of bread baking :)

Have never used a machine but I was so thrilled about a year ago when I realised I could make bread! I don't do it every time, though. I like a bit of variety.

Have never used a machine but I was so thrilled about a year ago when I realised I could make bread! I don't do it every time, though. I like a bit of variety.
I eat to live more than live to eat, but I am fascinated by the science of cooking and the way food can transform with heat or raising agents, or combinations. I knew I should never have given up chemistry :LOL: It's always a joy to see bread rise.

My other big thing is jam making. A couple of days ago while in the supermarket car park I discovered a cherry tree just HEAVING with fruit. I picked all I could reach and have made mixed fruit jelly and jam with it, and still some in the fridge! Mmmmmm! Great with hot croissants.......!

Oh yes, To get back on topic I'd better just say that I bought an ex-display Olympus em5.2 and a new 12 - 45 zoom, plus a Shimoda Active x30 bag, which is still on back-order. Can't wait for that to arrive!

on the selling side of things I have done a few deals during lockdown , ikea wardrobe gone,double divan base and headboard . caravan winter cover swapped for a spotting scope ,torque wrench and caravan flag pole sold, camera bags and a few lenses departed on e.bay . the caravan itself went a few days before lockdown . weight off my mind that going .... .all my sea fishing gear sold

I mainly sell stuff on e.bay finding its a bigger audience for post able items but for big awkward to post items im finding faceberk market place is really good most items sell within a day

Last edited:
on the selling side of things I have done a few deals during lockdown , ikea wardrobe gone,double divan base and headboard . caravan winter cover swapped for a spotting scope ,torque wrench and caravan flag pole sold, camera bags and a few lenses departed on e.bay . the caravan itself went a few days before lockdown . weight off my mind that going .... .all my sea fishing gear sold

I mainly sell stuff on e.bay finding its a bigger audience for post able items but for big awkward to post items im finding faceberk market place is really good most items sell within a day

I sold the remainder of my Canon kit ..........

I made a fruit bread yesterday.

I'd never thought of making bread until one of my sisters bought us a bread maker but it really has given me and Mrs WW a new interest. I make bread and fruit bread and she makes jam when we've been out picking brambles.

Not new. Non-CBS. Not Japanese. Modified...

Fes3asU.jpg

DxsVYvE.jpg

W8BtqP9.jpg

o0Ph750.jpg

Looks very nice (love the tweed amp too!), there's nothing wrong with modified either. I wanted a 'player' to use rather than wear out something collectable, so bought a battered old Japanese Strat off eBay. It's a 60s re-issue, complete with spaghetti logo and cigarette burns on the headstock, but it's condition meant it had lost any real value to a collector... which was just what I wanted. :)

Apart from looking tatty, it played nicely, so I bought some Fender Custom Shop Texas Special pickups and a black scratch plate and sent it for a pro re-fret and had jumbos installed, and added the spangly 'Custom' sticker as a bit of a nod to the guitar that inspired it (bearing in mind it's not intended as any sort of direct replica) And yes, your photo is better! ;)

It's fitted with 12 gauge strings and tuned to Eb, and yes it's got 'that' tone when played through a clean valve amp and an Ibanez Tube Screamer.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBmQwLSlDw

Sadly, I'll never be able to paly it like that though - not bad for a sound check, was it?!

Last edited:
It came modded with Custom Shop pick ups so bonus :D

Oh, and 12? I am thinking changing mine from 10 to 9's! lol

Last edited:
I've sold as much as I bought during Lockdown I think, sold 3 lenses, bought 2 and a new PC. The PC was necessary, lenses rarely are as I tend to barely make good use of them before selling on. Oh, also bought 2 gamepads as I finally have a machine that can run decent graphics but made good use of those playing games with the kids.

How are you finding the Niche grinder so far?

Good, easy to use, fool proof really if you weight beans first then everything falls into place. I even managed to convert someone at work, she questioned my sanity spending that much on a coffee grinder, in her life shes only had instant (although she only turned 20 this week) made her 1 cup and first sip she said "i don't hate it", about half way she said "ok im a convert, i want one"

Good, easy to use, fool proof really if you weight beans first then everything falls into place. I even managed to convert someone at work, she questioned my sanity spending that much on a coffee grinder, in her life shes only had instant (although she only turned 20 this week) made her 1 cup and first sip she said "i don't hate it", about half way she said "ok im a convert, i want one"

Large mug > 2 teaspoons of Kenco red > boiling water > add milk to taste (sugar? :wideyed: How old are you?!). Repeat when necessary until fully functioning. That's as complicated as morning coffee ever really needs to get... it's a hot beverage not a hobby! ;)

Last edited:
@Raymond Lin coffee can give me headaches and palpitations but I do like it, and love the smell. For this reason I tend to drink very weak coffee or decaffeinated. I watched James Hoffman's video when he tested all the instant coffees and found myself grimacing all the way through :ROFLMAO: I can't help but feel I'm missing something.

Large mug > 2 teaspoons of Kenco red > boiling water > add milk to taste (sugar? :wideyed: How old are you?!). Repeat when necessary until fully functioning. That's as complicated as morning coffee ever really needs to get... it's a hot beverage not a hobby! ;)

she actually said “I love a new hobby!” Then the department head said “it’s not a hobby, coffee is life!”

made my day!

she actually said “I love a new hobby!” Then the department head said “it’s not a hobby, coffee is life!”

made my day!
In that case, I think perhaps your whole department might need to get out more... once it is safe to do so! ;)

Last edited:
The government has made it perfectly plain that people my age are not going to make it out of lockdown. Holidays are out. Eating out is out. Any money left when we die will mainly go to the government in duties.

Therefore the only thing I can do is spend until I drop.

So far just a couple of large format cameras, umpteen film processing tanks and related items, lots of sheet film, an 8bay NAS filled with 10tb drives, just ordered a 5x7 reducing back for a 10x8 camera. Loads of smaller items as well.

Still have more money than hope even after all that.

Coffee is life !

9gUnCxb.jpg
I can see why it's your life; that looks like a lot of dismantling, cleaning and washing up in the waiting!

Kettle, mug, one to two teaspoons of Kenco, yes I'm awake and this buttered toast and thick-cut Oxford marmalade or Little Scarlet strawberry jam tastes good! Plus I got 15 mins longer in bed!

Now, if you want to partake of several processes to savour subtle nuances (and suffer the consequences of getting any one of them wrong), then why not sell your Sony digital camera kit and start shooting film? ;)

Last edited:
I can see why it's your life; that's a lot of dismantling, cleaning and washing up in the waiting!

Kettle, mug, one to two teaspoons of Kenco, yes I'm awake and this buttered toast and thick-cut Oxford marmalade or Little Scarlet strawberry jam tastes good! Plus I got 15 mins longer in bed!

Now, if you want to partake of several processes to savour subtle nuances, and suffer the consequences of getting any one of them wrong, the why not sell your Sony digital cameras and start shooting film? ;)

This thread is about Buying for the sake of it :p Not Saving for the sake of it.

To make a cup of coffee takes about 5mins :D

Just picked up a second Olympus 35RC because mine has a sticking advance lever and a ding on the top cover. Nothing wrong with it operationally...

The old "I can't let it get sold for that amount of money..."

This thread is about Buying for the sake of it :p Not Saving for the sake of it.

To make a cup of coffee takes about 5mins :D
And how long does it take to clean everything thoroughly afterwards? Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the taste when given a lovely cup of freshly ground coffee... just as I can when presented with a Chateaubriand Steak, Coquilles St Jacques or Lobster Thermidor, but taken as an everyday occurrence, I wouldn't want the prep time and all the washing up afterwards! In my case I know eventually such kit would end up alongside the toasted sandwich maker and the George Formby Grill (turned out nice again!), at the back of a kitchen cupboard, once reality outpaced the effort.

Fair play if it works for you though, and the enjoyment out is worth the effort in. (y)

Last edited:
And how long does it take to clean everything thoroughly afterwards? Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the taste when given a lovely cup of freshly ground coffee... just as I can when presented with a Chateaubriand Steak, Coquilles St Jacques or Lobster Thermidor, but taken as an everyday occurrence, I wouldn't want the prep time and all the washing up aferwards. In my case I know eventually such kit would end up alongside the toasted sandwich maker and the George Formby Grill (turned out nice again!), at the back of a kitchen cupboard, once reality outpaced the effort.

Fair play if it works for you though, and the enjoyment out is worth the effort in. (y)

The grinder doesn't need a clean, the machine is a wack in the "puck bin" and rinse in the sink, then turn on the machine without the portafilter to flish and wipe with a towel. All of it is about 30 seconds?

The grinder doesn't need a clean, the machine is a wack in the "puck bin" and rinse in the sink, then turn on the machine without the portafilter to flish and wipe with a towel. All of it is about 30 seconds?
Hmmm, sounds so simple... just like loading a film into a camera. ;)

What have I bought during lockdown?
Wilfa svart grinder
Hario V60 dripper
Aeropress
Digital timer
Scale calibration weight
Gooseneck pouring jug
Stainless milk jug
Electric Milk frother
Kampa folding chair
Lowepro flipside 400 awii camera bag
New spray gun
Oven and hob
Kitchen worktops
Lansky sharpeners
:)

Reading this thread has made me realise I’ve really wasted lock-down!

all I have bought is a digital recorder and directional mike.

BORING STUFF
Decorated bedroom so now need new carpet and bedroom furniture.
Gallons of stain for shed and fences.
Loads of new toys for when the Grandkids come round.
Stuff for Grandson #3 due next month.

LESS BORING STUFF
(Quite) a few bottles of Malt Whisky
(Quite) a few cases of craft beers and ciders (local brewery was doing a crowdfunding appeal to keep them going so just had to help out)
Upgraded my Sony a6300 and 16-70 to the a6600 and 16-55G
Bought the Sony 70-350G to go with the above.
Replaced my broken Nisi 0.9 GND
Replaced lost Nisi Landscape CPL
Bought a Nisi Circular ND kit
Bought the latest Nik Collection 3 (Don't see much difference from the original to be honest)
A few ebooks and a video course (Alister Benn)
One of that Pluto things - No, I don't know why either. Nothing like a few of the above choice Malts to loosen the purse strings :confused:

Coffee is life !

9gUnCxb.jpg

My grinder isn’t as good as yours but it works for me for now. I also take a hand grinder to work and use with an Aeropress. Funny thing is, until a few years ago I hated coffee.

very rarely steam milk, though. It’s mainly Americano/long black with the espresso based drinks of French Press/Aeropress for filter. I need a V60.

oh and I also shoot film

5FC4CA98-AE5D-4BCF-A507-BB97BEE364AB.jpeg

Well my new tripod turned up yesterday for my scope that I aquired during lockdown , and The 2x tc for my MF 300 mm lens ,and The lens end cap for the lens , looked at prices for ball heads for the tripod and realised they have gone expensive ,mentioned it to my mate who had a brand new one unused for £10 .. . Expensive flimsy monopod winging its way back to amazon sturdy one aquired on e.bay for £11 done for now I think :cool::cool::cool:

I bought a well-used FZ82 cheapo ultrazoom for abusing, and it’s actually been incredibly fun. As a ‘dog in one hand, camera the other’ camera, or a ‘on my lap in the kayak’ camera, it’s fantastic. I’ve polished a number of shots I’m actually very pleased with. It’s a wildlife version of Chase Jarvis’s “The best camera is the one you have with you”... The images don’t stand any pixel peeping, but that isn’t the point, don’t need to crop when you’ve filled the frame with what you’re looking at. As a daytime walkaround for Facebook/iphone-type sharing, it’s more than adequate. I can see why the P1000 is often out of stock, I'm tempted.

edit: oh, and loads of alcohol

Last edited:
I added tot he camera collection with another Kodak Pro SLR ( in Nikon for this time!). Also got a Fuji S5 Pro which I’ve not had chance to play with yet but hopefully soon!

Beyond that, since being made redundant and then getting a couple offers during June and keeping all the side hustles going, I’ve arguable been busier than when working! But it’s back to the daily grind next week with the new job!

I bought a well-used FZ82 cheapo ultrazoom for abusing, and it’s actually been incredibly fun. As a ‘dog in one hand, camera the other’ camera, or a ‘on my lap in the kayak’ camera, it’s fantastic. I’ve polished a number of shots I’m actually very pleased with. It’s a wildlife version of Chase Jarvis’s “The best camera is the one you have with you”... The images don’t stand any pixel peeping, but that isn’t the point, don’t need to crop when you’ve filled the frame with what you’re looking at. As a daytime walkaround for Facebook/iphone-type sharing, it’s more than adequate. I can see why the P1000 is often out of stock, I'm tempted.

edit: oh, and loads of alcohol

Indeed Re P1000. I don’t need it. I don’t use it much. But I can’t seem to convince myself to get rid of it.. [emoji30][emoji14][emoji23]

I briefly tried a P900 but slow focus put me off. The Fz82 though uses the DFD Panny AF which I’m used to and it’s pretty quick even at the long end. P1000 looks a fun bit of kit - I’ve often wondered why no manufacturer made a ‘bespoke all-in-one digiscoping setup” and the P1000 is very nearly it. I couldn’t crop down the 200/2.8 +TC images on MFT to be anywhere as good as a full zoom Fz82 image of a bird at distance, and there are plenty of comparison photos online proving that you can’t even crop a high megapixel FF with a 600mm down to a provably better image.

If I could change camera manufacturers, I’d suggest someone made a 300-3000mm camera in a spotting scope form factor with a 1/23 inch sensor. No need to overengineer an ultrazoom lens to carry a wide end - there’s a hundred options there. Just concentrate on less optical zoom and a lens dedicated and optimised to the longer ends rather than trying to be decent at 24mm too. Advertise it to birders and backyard wildlifers, and it would be a surefire hit... I’m confident hardly anyone ever bought a P1000 for its 24-70mm capabilities

here’s a decent example of what I mean about the FZ82 being fun.... a Red Kite about to chomp on a Housemartin, distance to subject between 500-750 feet [couldn’t tell what bird of prey it was with the naked eye], and I took this with the dog on a lead in my left hand. It’s fun, not a printable image but I’ve had lots of ‘wows’ at home/friends etc, and it’s infinitely more image than I would have got with the big prime, because the big prime was at home!
F67355E8-ADF8-4EF0-8776-0D99114ABC08.jpeg

Last edited:
I briefly tried a P900 but slow focus put me off. The Fz82 though uses the DFD Panny AF which I’m used to and it’s pretty quick even at the long end. P1000 looks a fun bit of kit - I’ve often wondered why no manufacturer made a ‘bespoke all-in-one digiscoping setup” and the P1000 is very nearly it. I couldn’t crop down the 200/2.8 +TC images on MFT to be anywhere as good as a full zoom Fz82 image of a bird at distance, and there are plenty of comparison photos online proving that you can’t even crop a high megapixel FF with a 600mm down to a provably better image.

If I could change camera manufacturers, I’d suggest someone made a 300-3000mm camera in a spotting scope form factor with a 1/23 inch sensor. No need to overengineer an ultrazoom lens to carry a wide end - there’s a hundred options there. Just concentrate on less optical zoom and a lens dedicated and optimised to the longer ends rather than trying to be decent at 24mm too. Advertise it to birders and backyard wildlifers, and it would be a surefire hit... I’m confident hardly anyone ever bought a P1000 for its 24-70mm capabilities

here’s a decent example of what I mean about the FZ82 being fun.... a Red Kite about to chomp on a Housemartin, distance to subject between 500-750 feet [couldn’t tell what bird of prey it was with the naked eye], and I took this with the dog on a lead in my left hand. It’s fun, not a printable image but I’ve had lots of ‘wows’ at home/friends etc, and it’s infinitely more image than I would have got with the big prime, because the big prime was at home!
View attachment 285138

True words spoken! I’ve often wondered people that state full frame allows more cropping - sure it does not even a top of the range Canon R with a 100-400 cropped in to the size of the an image from the P1000 even at “2000mm” is nowhere near as good as from the Nikon. Plus you can still do a bit of cropping with the Nikon as it’s not been “cropped” yet. I think a lot of people miss this when they go on a bit reach and cropping potential with full frame etc. Never mind the fact the focus always drops off a bit too...!

If only they did as you said, one of those zooms one a fixed camera. I find the trouble is no manufacture ever does a proper job! Nikon did this, and quite frankly even at 3000mm the results are sharp - but their AF is crap and no actual continuous af - whereas Panasonic are incredible at AF. So annoying [emoji14]

Over the last couple of month I have bought mostly computer parts from CCL and Scan, started from scratch with the case and progresively moved up to a finished product. Seems a bit strange and sometimes down right frustrating coming from a Mac to Win 10 though. I have enjoyed the research and the final building though.

View attachment 285138
What happened next?

I came home and fed the dog?

haha... if you mean the birds.. not entirely sure, the dots in the distance disappeared behind trees. Until I took the shot, I had no idea that the Martin was there!

interesting that it was a Red Kite, they're still very rare over here (Suffolk/Norfolk border, about as East as you can get without getting wet feet)...

Still, for me it's an eye opener. I've walked miles over days with big expensive primes, and come back with nothing more than "dots on a blue background" shots. This cheapo bridge may yet become my most used camera.

Last edited:
Back